PDA

View Full Version : Mazda 3, 2008.5 Headlight Problems

MelR
01-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Has anyone had any problems with the Headlight Module burning out on the 2008.5 Mazda 3's. I thought I had a burnt out headlight and when I brought it in to get changed I found out it was no the the light bulb. The whole unit was fried and melted and needs to be replaced and it is not covered by the warranty. When I asked how it happened they asked me if I had been in an accident because they couldn't come up with any other answer. Now its more than $400 to fix it. Help!!!

Thanks

McGuyver_3
01-31-2012, 01:54 AM
your description is vague. Any pics?

Lockdown
01-31-2012, 03:30 AM
Are you still on your original set of bulbs ? Any chance there were aftermarket bulbs in there?

Definitely need more info to be able to help you out.

Also HID or Halogen?
Also Pics of everything

boyracer
01-31-2012, 05:23 AM
I agree with the other two. More info, are you the original owner? Pics would be very helpful. Also Welcome to TM3 :welcome smiley

MelR
01-31-2012, 08:42 AM
I am the original owner of the car.
It does have HID lights. They are the original bulbs, have not had any problems with them until this.
I don't have pictures because you can't see any damage under the hood. They had to take the bumper off to change the bulb which they then realized was not the problem. Apparently all the wiring is good but the headlight module needs to be replaced because it is burnt out. The diagnostic test on the module found that it was faulty.

My question is that they think the only way this could happen is if I had been in an accident which I was not. Also, the light was fine in the morning and that night when I started it the headlight was burnt out. How does it burn out that fast if it is "melted" as they say at the dealer.

Thanks

McGuyver_3
01-31-2012, 05:42 PM
rare that the module should burn out but it does happen. what module exactly did they say was not working? did they sayit was the control unit or the ignitor? either way if one of the 2 should be burned out the module is replaceable however the ignitor is not as it does or at least used to come with the headlight assembly which is big money. Would you be interested in me having a look at it for you? I have spare parts for the oem xenon setup that I could use and test with. Is it both sides or just the one?
You also state you have warranty and if it is still within the 3/80k then it should be covered. That somewhat confuses me

TheMAN
02-01-2012, 05:11 AM
the "module" is probably the ballast... and that is a replaceable part.... around $600 for one side

taking off the bumper to change the light bulbs isn't needed except making it easier.... freaking amateurs!
but you do need to take off the bumper to get to the HID ballasts though since they're screwed onto the bottom of the headlights