PDA

View Full Version : about to spend some money for some mods... some pointers would be great.

mspeed3
02-21-2012, 03:24 PM
I'll start by listing my current mods on my 2010 mazdaspeed3:

Corksport SRI with turbo inlet
Corksport Race Pipe
Corksport motormounts
Resignator delete

To be ordered in the coming days:
Cobb Tune AP
CORKSPORT FMIC for Ram-Air Intake
Corksport downpipe (I know, I will need to replace my race pipe with highflow cat at some point in order to pass emisions)

I guess maybe I'm just looking for any pointers from anyone that has gone through these mods. Are there any challenges that I should be aware of? Are you satisfied with the investment? etc.

CelestSpeed3
02-21-2012, 03:28 PM
In the effort to preserve your car until the end of the summer I would forget about the FMIC and get a HPFP.

But its your car, and I wouldn't mind seeing the gen2 internals up close without having to take my motor apart.

Fack_Dude
02-21-2012, 03:29 PM
You will wanna go faster once you install all the mods and by more mods.

Aitch
02-21-2012, 03:35 PM
I believe we *just* covered this here MS3 Beginner's Directory (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?60967-MS3-Beginners-Directory) about why you should get a new fuel pump when starting to tune and having a downpipe.

mspeed3
02-21-2012, 04:03 PM
In the effort to preserve your car until the end of the summer I would forget about the FMIC and get a HPFP.

But its your car, and I wouldn't mind seeing the gen2 internals up close without having to take my motor apart.

Thanks for your response, it is however very vague.. Maybe you could elaborate on your suggestion with reasons why you feel this way?

mspeed3
02-21-2012, 04:04 PM
I believe we *just* covered this here MS3 Beginner's Directory (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?60967-MS3-Beginners-Directory) about why you should get a new fuel pump when starting to tune and having a downpipe.

Thanks for the link, I'll definetly be having a look.

Aitch
02-21-2012, 04:08 PM
What he's saying is that with a downpipe and without a HPFP, you'll be able to examine the internals of your engine after they are vomited out onto the pavement.

Mr Wilson
02-21-2012, 04:08 PM
These cars are fickle, but when modded correctly can be hugely rewarding. As hopefully you are doing now, read the link.

Aitch, hahahahaha.

Fobio
02-21-2012, 04:10 PM
What he's saying is that with a downpipe and without a HPFP, you'll be able to examine the internals of your engine after they are vomited out onto the pavement.

you have won the internet today my friend....lol...

you come in at second today, but a distant second to Aitch...lol...

breakfasteatre
02-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Contrary to everyone elses opinion, i think your mod path is a great start!

As soon as you get your ap, dial in your AFRs to around 12.1-12.3

the gen2 has no problem with fueling, the carbs that come in it are dialed in to run rich and the AP will compensate for that by adjusting the butterfly valves at 9000rpm

boyracer
02-21-2012, 04:47 PM
@breakfasteatre. Nice

mspeed3
02-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Contrary to everyone elses opinion, i think your mod path is a great start!

As soon as you get your ap, dial in your AFRs to around 12.1-12.3

the gen2 has no problem with fueling, the carbs that come in it are dialed in to run rich and the AP will compensate for that by adjusting the butterfly valves at 9000rpm

Thanks, I've actually been suggested this mod path with friends that are much more experienced than I in the modding turbo cars (Not speed3 though).

Aitch: I will havent had a chance to go through that suggested link yet and although a funny explanation of the joke, it really is useless technically... Thanks for the laugh though :P

Aitch
02-21-2012, 06:19 PM
I know, I'm nowhere near as technically experienced with MS3 turbo tuning as these other guys. So I joke.

mspeed3
02-21-2012, 07:47 PM
This is strange... The reason I selected those upgrades in the first place is because cobbtune had off the shelf maps that included the downpipe and fmic without Cdfp?! That doesn't seem to be the case anymore... Maybe I'm crazy and don't remember correctly. Now these off the shelf maps don't even mention downpipe upgrades... What's up with that?

loki
02-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Must. Not. Respond.

This is the first thing I read sitting on the plane after just landing from winnipeg

Please just read the links in the Beginner's guide. Thanks

And ignore Breakfasteatre. Do no tune your car to 12.1 to 12.3 just in case other people are reading this and think its a good idea

mspeed3
02-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Must. Not. Respond.

This is the first thing I read sitting on the plane after just landing from winnipeg

Please just read the links in the Beginner's guide. Thanks

And ignore Breakfasteatre. Do no tune your car to 12.1 to 12.3 just in case other people are reading this and think its a good idea

Lol
Okay bud, will do tonight!

Booostin
02-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Loki you crack me up I was wondering where you were lol

mspeed3
02-21-2012, 10:05 PM
So I got a chance to read through a bit.. it would appear that many dollars will be spent in my future..

Thanks for the help

breakfasteatre
02-22-2012, 08:59 AM
thank jesus you are doing some research. Ignore my troll post, its not like you would have done what i suggested and not had a clue as to the consequences, but just in case the stars align

an upgraded hpfp or hpfp internals are a must if you go beyond stage 1. And even my car i had problems with fuel pressure with intake and AP. Im driving a gen 1. Fueling in gen2 is worse

mspeed3
02-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks again for the help.. so after doing a bit of research, I'm thinking of.leaving my exhaust as is with the test pipe and moving forward with kmd internals, Cobb ap..

My question is would u guys put fmic before getting that exhaust to breath a bit more?

Mr Wilson
02-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Arguably this is Genwon comment though I'm sure some truth holds for the Genpus. The big snag in the exhaust system lies with the downpipe and the two restrictive cats not so much the cat-back system.

The stock TMIC sucks, aftermarket TMIC's on their own flow so much more air and offer better cooling. You'll still get heat sink but after 20ft it won't be an issue.

mspeed3
02-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Arguably this is Genwon comment though I'm sure some truth holds for the Genpus. The big snag in the exhaust system lies with the downpipe and the two restrictive cats not so much the cat-back system.

The stock TMIC sucks, aftermarket TMIC's on their own flow so much more air and offer better cooling. You'll still get heat sink but after 20ft it won't be an issue.

understood.. but I wonder if I'll get more gains by changing my dp to say a cpe cat dp and forget about my test pipe VS say a corksport FMIC upgrade? That's what I deciding on.

Mr Wilson
02-22-2012, 11:36 AM
With the test pipe you do eliminate one of the stock cats, but you do still have the initial ugly stock cat right after the turbo. The CP-E, Cobb, etc, etc replace both pieces and use a single high-flow cat. Think UR is a two piece with a single high flow.

http://www.streetunit.com/photos/MS3Exhaust.jpg

Elusivellama
02-22-2012, 11:38 AM
This is strange... The reason I selected those upgrades in the first place is because cobbtune had off the shelf maps that included the downpipe and fmic without Cdfp?! That doesn't seem to be the case anymore... Maybe I'm crazy and don't remember correctly. Now these off the shelf maps don't even mention downpipe upgrades... What's up with that?

If you look at the map database for the 2010 ms3 on cobbtuning, you will see all of the OTS maps listed in a table along with a column for CDFP. For all their stage 1 OTS maps, it'll say 'STOCK' instead of 'UPGRADE', which means the tune was designed for a stock CDFP.

Thanks again for the help.. so after doing a bit of research, I'm thinking of.leaving my exhaust as is with the test pipe and moving forward with kmd internals, Cobb ap..

My question is would u guys put fmic before getting that exhaust to breath a bit more?

There's someone on msf who had a Cobb SRI/TIH and a stage 1 OTS map on his 2012 MS3, he did a few 3rd gear WOT runs and his fuel pressure was dipping down into the 750s ~ 880s. Not all factory fuel pumps will crap out this way, but I don't see a need to risk the engine for a $400 piece.

I would recommend Autotech internals over KMD based on the feedback I've been reading on msf.

@mrwilson Yeah, the UR is a two piece design, saw it personally two weeks ago at SP being installed on chris.joh's car.

fywdyl
02-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Basically, if genpu and >=17psi, need HPFP.
Those COBB ots tunes without HPFP are all tuned to stay at or below 16psi.

horto
02-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Not all factory fuel pumps will crap out this way, but I don't see a need to risk the engine for a $400 piece.

This.

mspeed3
02-22-2012, 12:10 PM
hrrmmmmmm soooo... cpe dp and eliminate test pipe or fmic upgrade? LOL

I understand how the exhaust works.. the only left over concern I had was that the cpe is 3" and stock cat back is 2.5.. I think that might bother me at some point.. anyways, I'm told the cpe dp will fit both 2.5 and 3" regardless.

I already said I was getting the CDFP! Why Autotech vs KMD? Just better feedback?

Elusivellama
02-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Why Autotech vs KMD? Just better feedback?

Pretty much, I think the Autotechs are just slightly better (better machined tolerances or something to that effect). Anyway, the difference is like $30... so I'd rather not take chances. I'm not saying that the KMDs will fail on you, but the *general* consensus I'm getting on msf is that Autotechs are just better. Of course, quality parts are no protection against a botched install.