PDA

View Full Version : Engine Valve Clearance Audible check and adjust if noisy every 120,000 kms

sip
03-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Mazda3 maintenance schedule states: 'Engine Valve Clearance Audible check and adjust if noisy'.

What is Engine Valve Clearance noise?

My 2009, 40,000km, Mazda 3 has a clatter coming from the engine when it is idling, similar to a older model diesel engine noise. The dealership says it is normal. Could this be the above mentioned Engine Valve Clearance noise? Any idea how to adjust the engine valves?

TheMAN
03-12-2012, 01:36 AM
the noise is from the intake manifold butterflies.... it's NOT normal, you have a defective intake manifold... it's more common on earlier 3s, I'm surprised it happened to yours

go to another dealer and get this taken cared of!

sip
03-12-2012, 02:17 AM
I will take the car to a different dealership. If this dealership says it is normal too, how do I convince that it is not normal? Is there any TSB on engine clatter when it is idling? Thanks.

TheMAN
03-13-2012, 06:56 AM
try this
http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/mt000004556.html
not an actual TSB but a service tip

go to a good dealer... MOT, DWM, avante, etc
good dealers are all mentioned here

sip
03-13-2012, 08:09 PM
try this
http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/mt000004556.html
not an actual TSB but a service tip

go to a good dealer... MOT, DWM, avante, etc
good dealers are all mentioned here

I have not got the car serviced at the above dealers. Hope, they would not mind coming just for this issue.

I went to QEW Mazda / Budds Mazda until last summer. The service manager there said the noise is normal - that it is caused by valves lifters.

Flagrum_3
03-16-2012, 04:15 AM
the noise is from the intake manifold butterflies.... it's NOT normal, you have a defective intake manifold... it's more common on earlier 3s, I'm surprised it happened to yours

go to another dealer and get this taken cared of!

How can you be so sure what it is without hearing it? Light clicking or clacking can also just be injector noise or worn valve spacers...I'd really think it would need "listening too" to be sure and before assuming what it is...Just saying.

_3

bhrm
06-08-2012, 10:40 AM
How much does this service cost?

Mine's pretty clicky. I'm at 139,000km