PDA

View Full Version : KONI yellow CONFUSION......

tre_77
03-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Bought some Koni yellows as i have read they are really good in conjuction with my eibach prokit.... went to midas to get them installed......the guy told me they really aren't going to make a huge difference. I would be replacing the exact same part and wouldn't be a improving my ride as it's not a performance upgrade.........

so now im confused.

he then recommended that i try to find mazdaspeed shocks as they would make a noticable change.......

someone help me here, and if he is right, does anyone know anyone selling speed shocks....?

Thanks in advance!

Unoriginalusername
03-17-2012, 02:41 PM
went to midas to get them installed.

There's your problem. I much prefer the staff at walmart and canadian tire for their high performance shock recommendations :chuckle

rzapata
03-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Tsk tsk.. You should have told that person to go jump off a bridge. Stick with your Konis, it's performance shocks, ride quality can easily be adjusted (as you already know).

mazda_gurl
03-17-2012, 02:48 PM
There's your problem. I much prefer the staff at walmart and canadian tire for their high performance shock recommendations :chuckle

LOL! Exactly this....how much did they want to charge for installation?

Pereira11
03-17-2012, 02:55 PM

wanted to say the same but refrained :chuckle

stick with koni and find a reputable shop for install

Mazdy
03-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Shouldve went to Jimmy @SP for the install

Booter22
03-17-2012, 03:00 PM
went to midas to get them installed......the guy told me they really aren't going to make a huge difference. so now im confused.

the konis are a performance shock, i dont have them installed but when mine go. they will get paired with my prokits and installed.

MPS
03-17-2012, 03:09 PM
give SP a call way better service and price 416-450-6161

tre_77
03-17-2012, 03:23 PM
I had my prokits installed by jimmy and havent had an issue. Just wanted something closer to hamilton.

midas was going to charge 160$

So, ill give jimmy a call and arrange a time.

what can i expect from the yellows?

MPS
03-17-2012, 03:52 PM
yellow have rebound adjustment
so you can go soft or hard its all up to you
and BTW good choice on the yellows

The Wolf
03-17-2012, 04:31 PM
You guys, trust the midas touch. You can't argue with a catchy jingle.

Jackal
03-17-2012, 05:40 PM
I had my prokits installed by jimmy and havent had an issue. Just wanted something closer to hamilton.

midas was going to charge 160$

So, ill give jimmy a call and arrange a time.

what can i expect from the yellows?

$160. Jimmy is way more "reasonably priced". Got mine done by Jimmy and he adjusted them to the setting I wanted. I am running a Koni Yellows, Eibach 2010 springs combo. :)

tre_77
03-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Calling him Monday. I know he's worth the drive.

bluemazda3
03-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Jimmys done all my suspension setup on my car and im from hamilton :) konis n prokits...

bhrm
03-19-2012, 12:43 PM
I didn't get mine installed by jimmy....but I have pro-kits with yellows. Great set up. Huge difference.

Don't go midas. go to jimmy.

sudz
03-19-2012, 02:32 PM
I have Koni Yellows on the rears when my back struts blew. I had/have pro-kits installed.

Installed at QEW/Budds Mazda, Can't remember how much. (it was about a year ago)

I do know that I asked them to set it 30% from full soft, and i've been happy. Was looking to get something that could handle the drop, maybe slightly more agressive than stock, and got exactly that. My front stock struts are going strong. I kinda wished they'd go, but now I'm broke so here's hoping they last forever, lol. In the mean time, I feel like my car lost some of its tendancy to understeer.

ronphan
03-19-2012, 05:42 PM
$160. Jimmy is way more "reasonably priced". Got mine done by Jimmy and he adjusted them to the setting I wanted. I am running a Koni Yellows, Eibach 2010 springs combo. :)

+1

6strings
04-09-2012, 10:21 PM
yeah. go to Street Performance, or Advanced Power House.
Konis are great.

baymoe
04-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Tirerack is running a special on Kona Yellow and STR.T dampeners btw.

FLIPDADY
04-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Plus Mazdaspeed shocks/struts are no longer available. Tell that to the Midas guy.

mcatahan
04-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Noob here, quick question.. if I go with Koni Yellow+Sportline struts will I still need a camber kit?

loki
04-25-2014, 09:27 AM
Noob here, quick question.. if I go with Koni Yellow+Sportline struts will I still need a camber kit?

you don't need to bump every thread about koni with this question

mEtH
04-25-2014, 10:08 AM
The more you lower your car the more camber you end up with. If you rotate your tires more often it will limit the uneven wear but without a camber kit they will wear uneven... Unless you are gonna camber out for a sick stance.

Stathakos
04-25-2014, 10:15 AM
Really? I thought if I asked Staples they would know whats best for my fitment

mazda3t
04-26-2014, 05:00 PM
If I want to lower my speed3 what would be the best way to do it on tight budget without running into any wearing issues

loki
04-26-2014, 05:04 PM
If I want to lower my speed3 what would be the best way to do it on tight budget without running into any wearing issues

Best would be to leave it at stock height in that case

mazda3t
04-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Best would be to leave it at stock height in that case

I don't know what your problem is. Your either just grumpy towards newbs or just a straight hater. I just need someone to point me in the direction I'd like to go.. Reason why I joined here. If your answering towards the wearing issue, I plan to go the cheaper route just for the summer to clear the gap. If you don't have a helpful answer then don't reply simple as that. Sorry I don't have as much knowledge as some of you guys but I'm learning as I go and refraining from asking dumb questions like I did back when I first joined and had a mazda3

loki
04-26-2014, 05:51 PM
My response wasn't grumpy its the truth. You should wait to do it properly which at the cheapest is around 800-900 bucks plus labour

loki
04-26-2014, 05:52 PM
If you're going to read into my responses as personal attacks, which they are not, then I suggest you leave the forum

loki
04-26-2014, 06:01 PM
Koni yellow shocks are around 650, bilstein shocks are around 850...a good set of springs like swift are 350. Then install is around 140.

If you go with just springs the ride isn't very good though people do it

mazda3t
04-26-2014, 06:10 PM
I'm not taking it personally and no that's fine I understand there rules and expectations and a bit of trolling...I can see that and that's fine I can live with it. Just looking for some useful info.

mazda3t
04-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Thank you ill probably just do springs for now

loki
04-26-2014, 07:12 PM
Thank you ill probably just do springs for now

Keep in mind most shops will charge the same amount to replace just the springs as they would to replace the springs and shocks at the same time

So if you go with just springs, then decide its too rough and replace the shocks down the road you'll get dinged twice the labour

Just something to consider

mazda3t
04-26-2014, 07:21 PM
I have a friend who will do it so ill be saving some money and i got a hoist at work just need the tools and time, but ill definitely keep that in mind. Thanks a lot Loki

Keep in mind most shops will charge the same amount to replace just the springs as they would to replace the springs and shocks at the same time

So if you go with just springs, then decide its too rough and replace the shocks down the road you'll get dinged twice the labour

Just something to consider

Fack_Dude
04-26-2014, 07:34 PM
I don't know what your problem is. Your either just grumpy towards newbs or just a straight hater. I just need someone to point me in the direction I'd like to go.. Reason why I joined here. If your answering towards the wearing issue, I plan to go the cheaper route just for the summer to clear the gap. If you don't have a helpful answer then don't reply simple as that. Sorry I don't have as much knowledge as some of you guys but I'm learning as I go and refraining from asking dumb questions like I did back when I first joined and had a mazda3

don't be mad bro.

mazda3t
04-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Ain't nobody mad. I ain't your bro broo

don't be mad bro.

Fack_Dude
04-26-2014, 09:22 PM
Ain't nobody mad. I ain't your bro broo

lol

mazdaspeedemon3
04-26-2014, 10:36 PM
you don't need to bump every thread about koni with this question

lol dude has 2 posts....

cut your springs down a few inches, works great and you'll get a smoother ride. costs like $10

mazdaspeedemon3
04-26-2014, 10:38 PM

he is grumpy, the guys over at www.mazdaspeedforums.org are much nicer and will answer all your noob questions no problem

loki
04-26-2014, 10:46 PM
lol dude has 2 posts....

That's because I deleted the others

The Wolf
04-26-2014, 11:57 PM
I have a friend who will do it so ill be saving some money and i got a hoist at work just need the tools and time, but ill definitely keep that in mind. Thanks a lot Loki

just a heads up, you can alleviate uneven wear issues by asking the alignment tech to set your toe to zero. toe is the real source of tire wear on lowered cars. I've done 30k+ on my summers (280 treadwear) and there's hardly any uneven wear.

MS3Edge
06-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Koni yellow shocks are around 650, bilstein shocks are around 850...a good set of springs like swift are 350. Then install is around 140.

If you go with just springs the ride isn't very good though people do it

Hey Loki
Question so i am on the fence here about shocks as well. as you are probably aware i am on sport lines with stockers and yes bumpy as Shit so i am replaceing but i am also replacing the Sportlines with Cobb. Looking to find out what i should bo with. Cobb and bilstein, Cobb and Koni Yellows. Or Cobb and Koni 2100 FSD Golds....... Thoughts

loki
06-30-2014, 11:11 AM
Hey Loki
Question so i am on the fence here about shocks as well. as you are probably aware i am on sport lines with stockers and yes bumpy as Shit so i am replaceing but i am also replacing the Sportlines with Cobb. Looking to find out what i should bo with. Cobb and bilstein, Cobb and Koni Yellows. Or Cobb and Koni 2100 FSD Golds....... Thoughts

Don't buy Koni....unless you buy them through Nextmod since they help you deal with any warranty related exchanges

Go with Swift/Bilstein

MS3Edge
06-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Don't buy Koni....unless you buy them through Nextmod since they help you deal with any warranty related exchanges

Go with Swift/Bilstein

Perfect
thanks i was all the way to check out with Bilstien then said i better ask first.

Cheers

S.F.W.
06-30-2014, 11:17 AM
Perfect
thanks i was all the way to check out with Bilstien then said i better ask first.

Cheers
MS3Edge - I am on Swift/Bilstein if you want to get a feel for the car first.

MS3Edge
06-30-2014, 11:50 AM
MS3Edge - I am on Swift/Bilstein if you want to get a feel for the car first.

Thanks for the offer
I'm gonna do Cobb/bilstien just ordered the bilstiens now have the cobbs in my garage waiting to be mounted