PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar Collars

SomeGuy
03-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Went to grease up my sway bar bushings tonight after the winter and noticed this:

http://someforum.net/car/swaybarcollars.jpg

Seems the collars have rusted a LOT! Nothing else under the rear end of the car is that bad and this sway bar has only been on since last fall. Sprayed some fluid film on them for the time being and going to contact corksport and see what they say. Luckily they don't *have* to come off ever, but I'd hate to think what would happen if I tried to remove those allen headed bolts.

cwp_sedan
03-23-2012, 01:24 AM
Yikes! That's really bad!

silverstarmazda
03-23-2012, 02:06 AM
wow, at least your lucky the rust didnt spread anywhere else.

boyracer
03-23-2012, 05:24 AM
http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/eek_color.gif

CelestSpeed3
03-23-2012, 06:00 AM
That's to be expected the collars a mild steel and they are heat treated if anything which is why they appear black.

If you didn't coat them then this will happen.

I'm curious as to what corksport will tell you. I highly doubt they accounted for new collars for everyone in a snow region every 2 years.

TheMAN
03-23-2012, 06:02 AM
I don't think that piece really matters.. it's just to stop the way bar from moving side to side... but seeing as how close the ends are to the bushings, it won't ever matter

CelestSpeed3
03-23-2012, 06:08 AM
I don't think that piece really matters.. it's just to stop the way bar from moving side to side... but seeing as how close the ends are to the bushings, it won't ever matter

+1

If the bar is made with the arms at the backside of both bushings I doubt the collars are needed.

Fobio
03-23-2012, 09:53 AM
local industrial hardware stores carry those. even tri-point [from cali] came with noncoated and brittle collars. the collars I got locally are coated, but I haven't inspected them in awhile.

again, you can source them locally, or let them be as the guys said. JBR also offers replacement collars but you need to match the spec/diameter of the RSB to ensure they fit.

CelestSpeed3
03-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Just get then powder coated before install. I'm sure if Quy does a bunch for us in blak it shouldn't be too expensive.

Smykee
03-28-2012, 11:23 PM
wire brush yo! go to town.... then ceramic engine paint!

SomeGuy
03-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Got a reply today:

Ryan,

I wanted to check in on you, I hadn't seen a response to my post on your ticket request replacement collars for your rear adjustable sway bar. I can ship you replacement collar, I just need to verify your shipping address.

Is your shipping address:
**REMOVED**

Please let me know if the address is correct and I'll take care of the rest. I do have one question, do they salt the road in the winter time?

Have a great day.

Kelly
Sales Manager
CorkSport Mazda Performance

So looks like they will be sending me replacements. I have also asked if there is anything they recommend to keep the collars from rusting again.

Fobio
03-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Got a reply today:
So looks like they will be sending me replacements. I have also asked if there is anything they recommend to keep the collars from rusting again.

Just rattle-can them with some rust inhibitor spray paint.

SomeGuy
03-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Just rattle-can them with some rust inhibitor spray paint.

Yeah, we'll see what corksport says to do...but no matter what I'll be coating them with something myself.

mikey32235
09-20-2012, 07:53 AM
HELP!!!!!! when i bought my ms3 it had already a blue custom sway bar in the front, I've lowered my car on race lands and now it is hitting the frame of the car and rubbing it like crazy, every time i turn the wheel my car sounds broken down and ' cheap ' has anyone experienced this problem? what are my options? thanks!!!

Hyperion
09-20-2012, 08:14 AM
HELP!!!!!! when i bought my ms3 it had already a blue custom sway bar in the front, I've lowered my car on race lands and now it is hitting the frame of the car and rubbing it like crazy, every time i turn the wheel my car sounds broken down and ' cheap ' has anyone experienced this problem? what are my options? thanks!!!

Raise it up.
Coils are more noisy than conventional springs. But it could also be a bad install job

mikey32235
09-20-2012, 08:21 AM
I forgot to mention that it wasn't the springs that caused the problem, before my spring install it was touching before. is there any way to adjust the sway bar? I'm sure I'm not the only one who slammed the car and has a front sway bar.

Mr Wilson
09-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Its the end links, you need adjustable ones to have sway bar in its proper location.

Fack_Dude
09-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Dude. You got bad luck with your speed. Why would you install cheap coilovers its not a Honda.

mikey32235
09-20-2012, 11:10 PM
man not everyone can afford expensive shit like tein or kw suspension... race lands work just fine i don't have any problems with them.. its the sway bar giving me problems

mikey32235
09-20-2012, 11:13 PM
where can i get adjustable links for a good price?

Thrizzl3
09-20-2012, 11:23 PM
get shorter ones.

Mr Wilson
09-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Depending on how low you are e46 m3 links are a bout an inch shorter than stock. Otherwise Whiteline, awr and Corksport to name a few

mikey32235
09-24-2012, 08:09 AM
http://www.corksport.com/corksport-mazdaspeed-3-front-adjustable-swaybar-end-links.html so this should fix my problem right?