PDA

View Full Version : Fix and Prevent: Rust in Wheel Wells ... A possible solution?

zmz3
04-17-2012, 02:17 AM
So I have been reading about rust in wheel wells and it seems that the Mazda3 is not the only car that gets that type of rust. Other compacts, sedans, trucks, suvs also are prone to rust in wheel wells, which so far seems to be the most common area of rust on our beloved MZ3 :)

I have come across a possible permanent solution to this (hopefully).

This solution will probably be a good idea for people who recently started to notice rust forming on their car, or recently had their rust repaired by Mazda...

Anyway, so it seems there are products that can be used to prevent rust or 'lock it in' ... Not sure how the latter works, but seems interesting.

The most common product seems to be POR 15 and/or KBS coating(s). I didn't seem to find a commercial sized bottle for single use, so a group buy might be a good idea if enough people are interested.

The tricky part here is separating the two metal pieces in the wheel well lip. The inner layer is on the inside and can be separated with enough care and precaution. Once that happens, one can just clean the area (high pressure wash, sanding down existing surface rust) and apply either products and that should protect the metal from further degradation... Pushing it back into place will be important as well.

Here's a simple (hopefully understandable) illustration of the parts involved. The curved line refers to the inner metal ( separated/individual back-2-back with outer).

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa371/zmz3/rust_005sized.jpg

I am no expert on this issue, but instead of complaining about it and letting the rust expand, a solution might be out there...

It would be interesting if we can get a body shop to quote the such a job as well, but that is for future.

NOTE: This is not a TESTED/VERIFIED solution yet! There might be some hope with some discussion between fellow TM3ers.

Discuss away!

zmz3
04-17-2012, 02:19 AM
Spelling correction: Outer is meant on the illustration diagram.

aris
04-17-2012, 07:40 AM
The best solution to fix the Rust is to cut out the affected areas and replace it with new metal.

Default User
04-17-2012, 08:34 AM
If the rust is significant on the fenders, hood, trunk/hatch lid - I would just replace em.

Quarters, pillars and rockers would need a cut and paste

POR15 is great, but I wouldnt use it on body panels. I would use it for suspension and chassis components.

zmz3
04-17-2012, 09:16 AM
The best solution to fix the Rust is to cut out the affected areas and replace it with new metal.

I know that is the best solution, but this requires more work and it is easier to mess it up.

I am talking about cleaning the area, and placing the mentioned materials so you'd get another 5 (theoretical) more years without rust really starting to develop significantly.

Also, maintainence might prolong it even further.

If the rust is significant on the fenders, hood, trunk/hatch lid - I would just replace em.

Quarters, pillars and rockers would need a cut and paste

POR15 is great, but I wouldnt use it on body panels. I would use it for suspension and chassis components.

I am talking mainly about the wheel wells as this is what most users seem to have. I have also been paying very close attention to other Mazda3's and if they had rust, it is most visible in the wheel wells.

Again guys - cutting and pasting is best solution and there is a reason why it has not been done a lot - cost and it is hard for DIY.

If you have significant rust, then I already mentioned that this is a not a good idea for that type of corrosion because more prep work is required, however, that does not mean it is not possible. But many cars have some rust starting to develop, or people who recently had Mazda do their repair but want to extend the life even further.

Flagrum_3
04-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Best bet would be to sand/grind the rusted areas right down to bare metal, you will most likely find 'pits' in the metal, spray these pitted areas with a light acid. Then clean with an alcohol base cleaner. Spray with a good quality primer 2 coats, then paint/clear coat.

Trying too separate the sheets will be disastrous as these are punch welded together. But goodluck if you try.

_3