PDA

View Full Version : Anyone getting great MPG with the 2012 Skyactiv 3?

Pages : [1] 2

rgs
04-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Wondering how people are doing with the Skyactiv milage. The best I've done on 3 fillups is 6.6l/100 (avg 6.7/100) almost all highway driving. When I look at the Fuelly stats only one or two persons are bettering that - one at 6.4 and another at 6.1. Nothing close to the EPA figures. 6.6 is 43 mpg but I was hoping to break 50. Maybe I just have to wait until it's further broken in but on Fuelly even those with nine or ten fill ups aren't getting very good milage. I know EPA figures aren't "real world" but they're usually a bit closer than this.
Richard

Astig02
04-26-2012, 01:40 PM
As many members will say, let the car break in, it eventually get better.

shutterbug
04-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Which gallon are you using? Canadian advertising is using the imperial gallon. If you're doing your calculations based on US gallon then 43 MPG is already better than EPA which is 40 MPG.
Then there's also the ethanol blended gas and "winter formula" gas.

beyond
04-26-2012, 02:36 PM
I've been averaging around 7.5L/100 KM for now -__-
Would you consider that "good"?

awagawa
04-26-2012, 02:42 PM
I've been averaging around 7.5L/100 KM for now -__-
Would you consider that "good"?

I'm currently at 10L/100 Km with mostly city driving and short trips, so I'd consider that good. I just got my first oil change two days ago, so hopefully that improves things a bit.

rgs
04-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Should have made clear that I'm in Canada and am quoting Imperial mpg.

Beyond, I don't consider the 6.6 l/100 I'm gotten over the first 3 fill ups very good. At least some of the Mazda3 reviewers claim they got 5.6l/100 or better (41 mpg/US). I would consider that good.

Aitch
04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Best I've posted was 8.0L/100km, so I haven't even cracked the 7s yet. 4800km on it as well already. Of course this is mainly city and short trips, only 20-25% highway driving. I'd be ecstatic with anything in the 6s, especially low 6s.

Booter22
04-26-2012, 04:08 PM

Beyond, I don't consider the 6.6 l/100 I'm gotten over the first 3 fill ups very good. At least some of the Mazda3 reviewers claim they got 5.6l/100 or better (41 mpg/US). I would consider that good.

6.6L / 100 km seems pretty good ( mind you these are all new cars and need to wear in) i didnt notice super decent fuel econ in my 2010 unitl about 24,000km but on fuelly the lowest 2012 is at 6.2L/ 100KM

beyond
04-26-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm currently at 10L/100 Km with mostly city driving and short trips, so I'd consider that good. I just got my first oil change two days ago, so hopefully that improves things a bit.

Ouch 10 L / 100 KM? That's nowhere close to what they advertise...hopefully after the oil change mileage will get better for you....

That's awesome...I'd be very satisfied in the mid 6's. Do you do mostly highway driving? City driving? Stick or auto? Maybe you can provide some more details...

I drive stick and I generally try to shift before 3000 rpm...most of the time I shift around 2000-2500...I also drive mostly city as well. So I keep telling myself, mid 7's for almost 80% city driving is pretty good mileage already :P

Best I've posted was 8.0L/100km, so I haven't even cracked the 7s yet. 4800km on it as well already. Of course this is mainly city and short trips, only 20-25% highway driving. I'd be ecstatic with anything in the 6s, especially low 6s.

Same, I'd be ecstatic with anything in the 6's...I thought the auto's were supposed to be better than the manuals on gas nowadays?

Oh yeah, I have roughly 3000 km's on my car. Only had it for about a month or less...

rgs
04-27-2012, 07:26 AM
I should have mentioned I'm doing mostly highway driving, a couple of miles on a back road, a few blocks in town and the rest on the TransCanada. I'm also driving the automatic. Don't get me wrong. I love my Mazda3. Beautiful car - one of the best looking on the road - a great driving car, fast, wonderful handling, lots of power for passing, butter smooth shifting, spacious comfortable interior, dash looks like an airplane cockpit, lots of small touches that show the designers were really thinking hard about what a driver needs. But Mazda does advertise 58 mpg (4.9/100) highway, 40 mpg (7.1/100) city. Now no one should expect to hit those figures as they come from a very specialized test, but I would think we should be able to get a bit closer than we are. Much depends on terrain and driving style, of course. More zoom-zoom means less mpg but so far I've been driving to get the mpg. My previous car was a Honda Fit. Honda advertised 50 mpg and I usually got 45 to 47 mpg without much trouble. I'd like to get as close to the ads with the Mazda3. It is early days and I'm sure it'll get better but it would be encouraging to hear about other owners approaching the advertised figures.

beyond
04-27-2012, 04:54 PM
I should have mentioned I'm doing mostly highway driving, a couple of miles on a back road, a few blocks in town and the rest on the TransCanada. I'm also driving the automatic. Don't get me wrong. I love my Mazda3. Beautiful car - one of the best looking on the road - a great driving car, fast, wonderful handling, lots of power for passing, butter smooth shifting, spacious comfortable interior, dash looks like an airplane cockpit, lots of small touches that show the designers were really thinking hard about what a driver needs. But Mazda does advertise 58 mpg (4.9/100) highway, 40 mpg (7.1/100) city. Now no one should expect to hit those figures as they come from a very specialized test, but I would think we should be able to get a bit closer than we are. Much depends on terrain and driving style, of course. More zoom-zoom means less mpg but so far I've been driving to get the mpg. My previous car was a Honda Fit. Honda advertised 50 mpg and I usually got 45 to 47 mpg without much trouble. I'd like to get as close to the ads with the Mazda3. It is early days and I'm sure it'll get better but it would be encouraging to hear about other owners approaching the advertised figures.

I haven't done all highway before, but from what I've read on other forums, you'd probably have to hover around the 100 km/hr speed to achieve MPG like what they've advertised :P

rgs
04-28-2012, 07:57 AM
I see that in the US Mazda advertises the US EPA figures of 40 mpg/28 mpg which is 5.88l/100 highway 8.4 l/100 city or 48mpg Imperial highway and 33 mpg Imperial city. I suspect these are more realistic figures than the Transport Canada figures in use here and puts our results a lot closer.

Impressive
04-28-2012, 04:26 PM
EPA rates the 2.0 SkyActiv-G at 28 city/39 highway, which = 33mpg. I assume using higher octane gas could potentially add a few KMs to your tank but those of you averaging around 33mpg who are complaining should have really bought a diesel instead or something.

beyond
04-29-2012, 01:50 AM
Would using premium gas improve mpg's???

doughboyr6
04-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Would using premium gas improve mpg's???

i doubt the gain (if any) would offset the additional cost

htc***
04-29-2012, 05:33 PM
How many KM you have travel per tank for

City only ?
HWY only ?
Combine ?

Have anyone reach more than 700KM per tank in city driving and more than 1K KM in HWY driving ?

Impressive
04-29-2012, 07:54 PM
i doubt the gain (if any) would offset the additional cost

Agreed.

rgs
04-30-2012, 08:19 AM
I've done 730 mostly highway and there was at least another 130 in the tank according to the number of litres left in the tank when I filled up. That's pretty good. Doubt that over 1K is possible. Nice not to have to fill up so often. My old Honda Fit got good mileage but its tiny 40 litre tank meant stopping every couple of days at the gas station.

beyond
04-30-2012, 11:14 AM
I've done 730 mostly highway and there was at least another 130 in the tank according to the number of litres left in the tank when I filled up. That's pretty good. Doubt that over 1K is possible. Nice not to have to fill up so often. My old Honda Fit got good mileage but its tiny 40 litre tank meant stopping every couple of days at the gas station.

730 is pretty damn good.

Flagrum_3
05-02-2012, 01:18 AM

Do you drive over 90kph on the highway? cause if you do you'll never get near the EPA rating. The EPA ratings from what I understand do not take wind resistance into account very much either. So there is alot of variables and it is not unusual to get 15-20% less then stated. I take most EPA ratings with a grain of salt. Hey but 6.6l/100km is not something to sneeze at.

_3

LezOLee
05-02-2012, 03:00 AM
This conversation makes me cry. These mileage numbers that I could only achieve in a dream...

hamza7
05-02-2012, 04:12 AM
Which gallon are you using? Canadian advertising is using the imperial gallon. If you're doing your calculations based on US gallon then 43 MPG is already better than EPA which is 40 MPG.
Then there's also the ethanol blended gas and "winter formula" gas.

Cool!, I didn't know that we used the British gallon. My friends and me always get into arguments about MPG of cars but now I know why.

beyond
05-02-2012, 12:07 PM
I recently installed 17" wheels on my car and it seems like my mileage is getting worse!!! Anyone else install bigger wheels on their car?? What's the mileage you guys are getting?

Booter22
05-02-2012, 12:42 PM
I recently installed 17" wheels on my car and it seems like my mileage is getting worse!!! Anyone else install bigger wheels on their car?? What's the mileage you guys are getting?

did you go with the oem size tire or a different size? dont forget a 17" rim ( depending on the rim ) can weigh more then the 16" which means it will take more power to rotate them.

Impressive
05-02-2012, 12:51 PM
did you go with the oem size tire or a different size? dont forget a 17" rim ( depending on the rim ) can weigh more then the 16" which means it will take more power to rotate them.

^this and they also take longer to complete a full rotation than 16s, which doesn't help your fuel economy either.

beyond
05-02-2012, 01:01 PM

I bought Falken FK452's in 215/45/17

My rims are Konig Zero's and I think they're rated at around 20lbs each

I dunno I'll keep track of this via Fuelly and update you all :)

^this and they also take longer to complete a full rotation than 16s, which doesn't help your fuel economy either.

lol maybe I should get 15 inch wheels then -__-

Impressive
05-02-2012, 01:05 PM
lol maybe I should get 15 inch wheels then -__-

I can't thoroughly comment on how great of a difference it is because I've only ever used my GT with 17s. Even though I do use 16s in the wintertime, I guess the winter gas formula offsets any potential gains I'd likely notice.

Aitch
05-02-2012, 01:23 PM

Erm, not if you keep the outer tire diameter the same.

beyond
05-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Erm, not if you keep the outer tire diameter the same.

I think w/ my setup, they're about the same lol

Booter22
05-02-2012, 04:23 PM
i know the DAI candy rims on the ladys car are 18Lbs and i noticed for the first while the fuel econ wasnt so good where as my 17" MX5 rims got me better fuel econ, but they weigh next to nothing. both 17" rims.

beyond
05-02-2012, 05:14 PM
i know the DAI candy rims on the ladys car are 18Lbs and i noticed for the first while the fuel econ wasnt so good where as my 17" MX5 rims got me better fuel econ, but they weigh next to nothing. both 17" rims.

That's weird...the wheels are so light anyway...

rgs
05-03-2012, 07:11 AM
There are now 4 Mazda3 Skyactivs on Fuelly reporting 6.4litres/100, 1 reporting 6.1 litres/100 and 1 reporting 5.6 litres/100! The 5.6 is a manual hatchback.

doughboyr6
05-03-2012, 09:21 AM
when you change size of rim, shouldn't you account for the tire profile so the overall end result of the rolling diameter is same as stock so as not to screw up the odometer and speedo?

i just filled up on Monday. I've only been driving to/from work. i've tried to take country back roads with very few stops and the 401. i've so far averaging very good. i hope thsi will last the entire tank. its hard driving like a granny though....

beyond
05-03-2012, 12:38 PM
when you change size of rim, shouldn't you account for the tire profile so the overall end result of the rolling diameter is same as stock so as not to screw up the odometer and speedo?

i just filled up on Monday. I've only been driving to/from work. i've tried to take country back roads with very few stops and the 401. i've so far averaging very good. i hope thsi will last the entire tank. its hard driving like a granny though....

Meh, I'm quite n00bish so I didn't really think about that....I just saw that the Mazda 3 GT's all have 17" wheels, so I thought that it would be possible to get 17" wheels as well?

Initially I tried to shift at 2000 rpm's (when breaking in the car) but then I couldn't stand it anymore >.<

doughboyr6
05-04-2012, 12:33 AM
I filled up on Monday morning. I have been taking it very easy, driving slowly, avoiding lights/stop signs (not running them). Just taking roads with as few as possible. Taking the hwy as much as possible, but driving on slow lane. I've been averaging based on on board computer 7.4L/100kms. I've already driven over 200kms on this tank and the range is still 530kms left. So if i can manage to continue driving this way. I will get over 700kms on this tank in a CUV.....proof that skyactive does work.....lol

i find driving between 80-100kms yields best results. very low rpm and little gas used, yet still can maintain a decent pace of progress.

beyond
05-04-2012, 10:45 AM
I filled up on Monday morning. I have been taking it very easy, driving slowly, avoiding lights/stop signs (not running them). Just taking roads with as few as possible. Taking the hwy as much as possible, but driving on slow lane. I've been averaging based on on board computer 7.4L/100kms. I've already driven over 200kms on this tank and the range is still 530kms left. So if i can manage to continue driving this way. I will get over 700kms on this tank in a CUV.....proof that skyactive does work.....lol

i find driving between 80-100kms yields best results. very low rpm and little gas used, yet still can maintain a decent pace of progress.

Sorry off topic.....you have a trip computer?? How'd you get one of those?

Reddie1337
05-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Sorry off topic.....you have a trip computer?? How'd you get one of those?

That would be the electronic package? Its an extra screen beside the radio. but I think doughboyr6 might have the CX-5... he did say CUV...

beyond
05-04-2012, 04:56 PM
That would be the electronic package? Its an extra screen beside the radio. but I think doughboyr6 might have the CX-5... he did say CUV...

Oops I was referring to the Mazda 3 haha...not the CX5...that's why...

Astig02
05-04-2012, 05:39 PM
This conversation makes me cry. These mileage numbers that I could only achieve in a dream...

I hear you bro. :(

doughboyr6
05-05-2012, 09:04 AM

yeah i got a cx-5, but i'm pretty sure its the same engine. its just in a bigger and heavier car in my case.

rgs
05-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I emailed the Fuelly member getting 5.6 litres /100 (42 mpg US, 50 mpg Canadian). Here's what he wrote back:
------------------------
I commute about 130miles (200km) a day mostly on freeways. And I try to be light on my right foot. When traffic is really light, I might drive at 60mph (100k). Otherwise I have't done much differently since the previous pickup truck I had. It seems you drive AT and I drive MT, so it's very possible for you to get even better mileage on driving like I do.
------------------------
Unfortunately, I don't.

dambay
05-07-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm averaging about 7.6/100km on Fuelly, although I imagine I could get better by driving more conservatively, haha. But where's the fun in that?

doughboyr6
05-10-2012, 09:06 PM
based on the computer i just logged 7.3L/100km on my last tank. i did 640ish kms on the tank. and its a cx-5, not mazda3.

zoomahh
05-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Just filled up tonight and got 884 km from 61.65 L. Translates to 6.97 L / 100 km. My Fuelly score says above 7 but that's from the winter scores. Each time I fill up my av is coming down. Motor is getting broken in too. So far I have just over 8700 km on her. Love this car :D

beyond
05-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Just filled up tonight and got 884 km from 61.65 L. Translates to 6.97 L / 100 km. My Fuelly score says above 7 but that's from the winter scores. Each time I fill up my av is coming down. Motor is getting broken in too. So far I have just over 8700 km on her. Love this car :D

DAYAM
that's AWESOME mileage

How come you got 61.65L in your tank??? I thought the 3's tank was like 55L? Or did you combine the #'s? lol

zoomahh
05-11-2012, 06:27 AM
DAYAM
that's AWESOME mileage

How come you got 61.65L in your tank??? I thought the 3's tank was like 55L? Or did you combine the #'s? lol

Yes and that's what I thought as well...That is until I ran the tank RIGHT THE F*&CK down to nuthin for my mar 16 fillup....lolz I even brought some gas in a gas can with me just in case...And when I went finally had to stop at a gas station fill r up, I put in 64.09 farkin liters! ! ! I musta been runnin on "beerfart" fumes then man. I believe the manufacturer lists tank capacity as 55L accounting for a bit of overhead at the top of the tank, and the "reserve" that's at the bottom when your last "fuel bar" dissappears.

If you click on my fuelly stats ( the av says 7.7L/100 km when the true # is 6.97 ! ! ! ), you'll see my stats are improving hence the warmer weather PLUS I now have my summers on (lighter and narrower than my winters) so my stats are pretty dang good.

rgs
05-11-2012, 06:43 AM
Don't understand, Zoomahh. Is it 64.09 or 61.65 litres? One post says the one and the other the other.

zoomahh
05-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Dude... those are different fillups :) Click on my fuelly stats....here I'll even do it for you....fillup # 8 16/03/12 862.9 64.09 7.4 1.271 50% .....ok?? now fillup #12 10/05/12 884.0 61.65 7.0 1.263 50% get it now???

Booter22
05-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Dude... those are different fillups :) Click on my fuelly stats....here I'll even do it for you....fillup # 8 16/03/12 862.9 64.09 7.4 1.271 50% .....ok?? now fillup #12 10/05/12 884.0 61.65 7.0 1.263 50% get it now???

if you look at your fill up chart it will show your last fuel up on may 10 at 6.97L/100 KM. it seems to pull some of its numbers weird, if you go to my main page where it shows both cars it says mine is 7.8L/100 km, then you go into it and it says 8.0L/100 km :S

beyond
05-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Where's the fuelly link? Am I blind?

zoomahh
05-11-2012, 11:41 AM
if you look at your fill up chart it will show your last fuel up on may 10 at 6.97L/100 KM. it seems to pull some of its numbers weird, if you go to my main page where it shows both cars it says mine is 7.8L/100 km, then you go into it and it says 8.0L/100 km :S
Only thing I can think of is that it's quoting an average #. Ie my fully av says mid 7 L's... But my actual is a 6.7... As I keep below the 7's, my av will eventually drop too. But I'll go take a look

@ beyond.... I see what you mean.... Sometimes I make a post and The fuelly sign is not there. When it does appear, put ur mouse over it and click. Lemme know

beyond
05-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Only thing I can think of is that it's quoting an average #. Ie my fully av says mid 7 L's... But my actual is a 6.7... As I keep below the 7's, my av will eventually drop too. But I'll go take a look

@ beyond.... I see what you mean.... Sometimes I make a post and The fuelly sign is not there. When it does appear, put ur mouse over it and click. Lemme know

I see it now lol. Says that avg is 7.7. I clicked into, the best one is 6.7 or something

Where does it show you filled up 60+ L of gas??

zoomahh
05-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Browse around cuz there must be a button... Like on the left I think

rgs
05-11-2012, 03:52 PM
What witty sarcasm!

zoomahh
05-11-2012, 04:30 PM
???? Not sarcasm at all man .....why would u say that? Reason I answered like that is because Ive never been to my fuelly site by way of link before so in trying to help by taking a guess and give u a direction to look for it...as to where it would/might be.
I dont even know you so why would I wanna be sarcastic??? Not how I roll bro.

zoomahh
05-11-2012, 09:11 PM
I see it now lol. Says that avg is 7.7. I clicked into, the best one is 6.7 or something

Where does it show you filled up 60+ L of gas??

Scroll down and look at the lower part of the page, it's down there :)

rgs
05-12-2012, 06:39 AM
I was referring to this comment:

"Dude... those are different fillups Click on my fuelly stats....here I'll even do it for you....fillup # 8 16/03/12 862.9 64.09 7.4 1.271 50% .....ok?? now fillup #12 10/05/12 884.0 61.65 7.0 1.263 50% get it now???"

If it wasn't being sarcastic, apologies. Sounded like it though.

rgs
05-12-2012, 06:58 AM
There are now four people on Fuelly getting pretty damn good milage. In addition to one person at 5.6 there's one at 6.1, one at 6.2 and one at 6.3 l/100. I'd like to know their secrets. I suppose it could be flat terrain vs the hilly terrain I drive on (though what goes up must come down) or being even easier on the gas pedal than I am (I tend to drive about 105-110 k/hour though a few fun passes are hard to resist - the Mazda3 Skyactiv has lots of power) or maybe over inflated or better tires, or maybe not carrying any passengers (am I grasping at straws here? I even tried driving without cruise in case that made a difference but it hasn't so far and I don't think I'll continue.
Transport Canada should really publish more realistic tests in line with the EPA in the US. 4.9/l 100 or 58 mpg is totally unrealistic, but Mazda has to publish Transport Canada's results to stay in line with all the other car companies. It leads to totally unrealistic expectations. EPA figures for the Skyactiv are Hwy 42 mpg US which comes out to 50 mpg Imperial or 5.6 l/100 Imperial.

zoomahh
05-12-2012, 07:24 AM
I was referring to this comment:

"Dude... those are different fillups Click on my fuelly stats....here I'll even do it for you....fillup # 8 16/03/12 862.9 64.09 7.4 1.271 50% .....ok?? now fillup #12 10/05/12 884.0 61.65 7.0 1.263 50% get it now???"
If it wasn't being sarcastic, apologies. Sounded like it though.

It's all good.. And no it wasn't sarcasm.. However I noticed that when u copied n pasted my quote re; my above statement, I see you left out the smiley face that I inserted between the "fill ups and click" that I had in my original statement. I inserted the smiley face specifically for that purpose so you wouldn't misunderstand me... Guess you missed it. It was an attempt to poke a bit of fun at the same time ;)

rgs
05-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Yeah, it's hard in written communications like emails and forums to get tone across. Anyway, my apologies.

On another note, Zoomahh, if the gas station gauge where you're doing your fill ups isn't totally screwed up and you're being overcharged, then you've discovered something about the Mazda3 that no one else has: that the gas tank is substantially larger than 55 litres. That's very interesting. I did a Google search and none of the reviews have noticed that. That would mean it's possible at say 7 litres/100 to do over 900 kilometers on a tank of gas provided the tank is filled to the brim to start. Or at 6 litres /100 to do over 1000 kilometers. Wonder if anyone else has done what you've done.

zoomahh
05-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Yeah, it's hard in written communications like emails and forums to get tone across. Anyway, my apologies.

On another note, Zoomahh, if the gas station gauge where you're doing your fill ups isn't totally screwed up and you're being overcharged, then you've discovered something about the Mazda3 that no one else has: that the gas tank is substantially larger than 55 litres. That's very interesting. I did a Google search and none of the reviews have noticed that. That would mean it's possible at say 7 litres/100 to do over 900 kilometers on a tank of gas provided the tank is filled to the brim to start. Or at 6 litres /100 to do over 1000 kilometers. Wonder if anyone else has done what you've done.

Ya I noticed that when I did my first fuelup with the car. I have also filled up at different gas stations and samo samo....so I guess their pumps are right...And I also mentioned that to the service manager where I bought the car from and he said that there is a "reserve" for lack of a better word once the last bar goes out on the fuel gauge. And of course as with any car, there is always a bit of room past the "full" mark. But I know what you mean....that's first time I have ever seen THAT much room on any car I have owned. Mind you, when I fill up...I keep goin till it literally tops the neck of the tank, like I can see it at the top of the tank spout :chuckle I like to know my tank is full.

****EDIT**** if there are any other 3 skyactiv owners that are following this thread, next time you fill, can you fill from almost rock bottom and go right to the top and post what you were able to fill to. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else can do that....he he he or maybe when the manufacturer was making MY car, they made a mistake and put a CX7 tank in instead :chuckle I'm not complaining though

rgs
05-13-2012, 06:55 AM
I'm going to definitely try fueling up that way, Zoomahh though I doubt I have the guts to drive it as many kilometers as you do once the fuel light comes on. I'm tempted though. Can all these cars really have 64 litre fuel tanks??? Wouldn't that be great!

Wonder what the busiest US Mazda3 forums are. It would be interesting to post your results there to get more feedback.

Reddie1337
05-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Ya I noticed that when I did my first fuelup with the car. I have also filled up at different gas stations and samo samo....so I guess their pumps are right...And I also mentioned that to the service manager where I bought the car from and he said that there is a "reserve" for lack of a better word once the last bar goes out on the fuel gauge. And of course as with any car, there is always a bit of room past the "full" mark. But I know what you mean....that's first time I have ever seen THAT much room on any car I have owned. Mind you, when I fill up...I keep goin till it literally tops the neck of the tank, like I can see it at the top of the tank spout :chuckle I like to know my tank is full.

****EDIT**** if there are any other 3 skyactiv owners that are following this thread, next time you fill, can you fill from almost rock bottom and go right to the top and post what you were able to fill to. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else can do that....he he he or maybe when the manufacturer was making MY car, they made a mistake and put a CX7 tank in instead :chuckle I'm not complaining though

I have heard that it isn't good to top the tank up like that because of the charcoal canister in the EVAP system. Screws up the balance of the system, and could be more costly than you'd like.

http://www.approvedarticles.com/Article/A-Costly-Mistake-at-The-Gas-Pump-You-Can-Avoid-/9930

I just go to the pump shut off, and do my calculations from there, instead of pumping it to the top anymore. Better fuelly numbers and more consistent results.

rgs
05-13-2012, 03:14 PM
That's inhibiting.

zoomahh
05-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Interesting article but all I can say is that Ive been topping up my tank for years...and I mean like ever since I've had my own car.....and have not seen a decrease in my fuel economy for any of my cars that I have owned...and I always keep track of each and every tank I put in. I also back off the nozzle so I don't get a backsplash either. I read the article....not sure if I believe all of it though. I'll tell ya though..with that fuelly site, I'll know if something is up because the graph and the numbers will show it.

As for vapours into the air....pfft don't give a rat's balls.....

Reddie1337
05-13-2012, 10:41 PM
As for vapours into the air....pfft don't give a rat's balls.....

Yeah, its not like one or two of us doing that would be saving the planet, its if everyone did it.

I just fill it to the pump shut off to keep it steady.

don77
05-14-2012, 01:42 AM
My mileage is getting a bit better as my odometer just crested 1000km. My first fillup was 9.5L/100km, my second was better at around 8.5L/100km. Both @ 85% city driving. Look forward to better mileage as my engine breaks in which is definitely an exercise in patience.

zoomahh
05-14-2012, 07:03 AM
My mileage is getting a bit better as my odometer just crested 1000km. My first fillup was 9.5L/100km, my second was better at around 8.5L/100km. Both @ 85% city driving. Look forward to better mileage as my engine breaks in which is definitely an exercise in patience.

yep! That's exactly how mine responded. But the icing on the cake is that with each fillup,it gets better and better and better ;) It's cool to see it happen

don77
05-15-2012, 12:33 AM
yep! That's exactly how mine responded. But the icing on the cake is that with each fillup,it gets better and better and better ;) It's cool to see it happen

Correction: first fill up was a hair over 12L/100km!! Even better. :)

genericmoniker
05-15-2012, 09:36 AM
*looks around* Mazda2. That is all.

beyond
05-15-2012, 10:13 AM
@zoomahh

Too scared to do what you suggested =P I'll just stick w/ filling up when the fuel light comes on lol

awagawa
05-15-2012, 10:55 AM
I've been traveling between London and Toronto every weekend since May started and have been getting decent mileage.

First trip back: 597.9km 42.61L 7.1L/100km
Second trip: 595.6km 42.70L 7.2L/100km

Going back and forth is 400km highway, so the remainder would be city driving.

This is a huge improvement to the ~10L/100km I was getting back in the winter, and before my first oil change.

Hopefully this keeps up or goes lower!

rgs
05-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Here's an interesting new review of the Mazda3 and CX-5 with some extremely good milage figures:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1076193_2013-mazda-cx-5-2012-mazda3-real-world-gas-mileage-boost-from-skyactiv-engine

I use the following site for converting between US MPG and Imperial:

http://tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html

NOTLguy
05-16-2012, 07:49 AM
That review is sure encouraging for me as I wait for delivery of my Skyactiv 3 Sport. There are quite a few videos on You-Tube that give similar results in test drives. I hope that after the initial vehicle break-in period, I get that mileage as well.

NOTLguy :P

rgs
05-18-2012, 05:38 PM
My last fill up (today) gave me 5.25 litres/100 or nearly 54 mpg Imperial! My best before had been 6.5. I'm not sure what I did differently. Double checked the figures. They're right. A little over 4000 kilometers on the car now. Almost all highway driving. I don't see how it can be right, but if it is, I'm elated.

Aitch
05-18-2012, 05:44 PM
This tank was a mixed bag. Super fuel efficient while driving my newborn son, but very inefficient when zooming around without him trying to get errands done ASAP.

rgs
05-18-2012, 06:52 PM
This tank was a mixed bag. Super fuel efficient while driving my newborn son, but very inefficient when zooming around without him trying to get errands done ASAP.

Yes, it's hard to resist the zoom zoom! I'm beginning to weaken.

doughboyr6
05-22-2012, 09:30 AM
i have been using an app on my phone and it does what fuelly does. more or less anyway. this is what i've been loggin the past few tanks. mixed hwy/city. i would say 40%/60%. i take backroads to/from work so while not as busy as city, but still lights and stop signs...etc

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5356/gasqn.jpg
By doughboyr6 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/doughboyr6) at 2012-05-22

homieG
05-24-2012, 09:53 AM
my sister in law bought a Skyactiv off of me a few weeks ago and recently drove down to NY. She got 850kms to the tank! Most of it obvi was hwy, but DAMN!! She had a 2010 GT that she traded in which used to give her 450-500kms to the tank. Skyactiv is pretty damn good!

beyond
05-24-2012, 11:59 AM
my sister in law bought a Skyactiv off of me a few weeks ago and recently drove down to NY. She got 850kms to the tank! Most of it obvi was hwy, but DAMN!! She had a 2010 GT that she traded in which used to give her 450-500kms to the tank. Skyactiv is pretty damn good!

+1 to the SkyActiv's!!!

rgs
05-24-2012, 02:56 PM
It looks to me as if the Skyactiv isn't fully broken in and giving the best mileage until it gets over 4,000 kilometers. I'm over 4,000 now and my last two fillups have been 5.25 litres/100 and 6.1 litres/100 mostly highway driving. Before that the best had been 6.6 litres/100. 5.25 is pushing 54 mpg. (The 6.1 l/100 included a fair bit of driving with 4 people in the car - lots of extra weight). This is one great car!

dambay
05-24-2012, 04:33 PM
I've been getting surprisingly poor mileage lately with my car, significantly moreso since I got my first oil change a few weeks ago which seems counter to what it should be. My city:highway ratio hasn't really changed. I'm wondering if they ended up putting a different oil in my car, but I can't see that affecting it as much as it is. Ill check and post my numbers tonight when I get home. Any thoughts?

beyond
05-24-2012, 04:44 PM
I've been getting surprisingly poor mileage lately with my car, significantly moreso since I got my first oil change a few weeks ago which seems counter to what it should be. My city:highway ratio hasn't really changed. I'm wondering if they ended up putting a different oil in my car, but I can't see that affecting it as much as it is. Ill check and post my numbers tonight when I get home. Any thoughts?

Dunno if it'll affect it, but what type of oil did you use for your oil change?

dambay
05-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Yeah I'm not sure. I brought it to Prima Mazda, and they did whatever they did. I realize now, after reading several unpleasant stories, that I should have made sure they put in the right oil, etc. But I didn't. I'm going to give them a call and see if I can find out what type of oil they put in. If it wasn't 0w20, I'm going to try to make them redo it. I know they fill it from metered drums, and so its entirely possible they just put in whatever it was they had. Hopefully that's what is going on, and not some more serious issue.

beyond
05-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Yup gd lck w/ that and keep us posted...hopefully it's sth minor like that

JHX 1138
05-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Any of you guys doing 75% city driving (or more) and want to comment on your SkyActiv mileage?

awagawa
05-28-2012, 12:29 PM
When I'm doing 100% city, I'm getting between 8.4-10.6 L/100km

beyond
05-28-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm doing 90% city....

Aitch
05-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Any of you guys doing 75% city driving (or more) and want to comment on your SkyActiv mileage?

I'm around 75% city. Getting just north of 8L/100km I think. I didn't track mileage accurately on my old 2.0L GS, but I know I'm getting more km/tank in this car with the same driving habits. About 520km when I'm getting close to empty vs 420-450km in the old car.

JHX 1138
05-28-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm around 75% city. Getting just north of 8L/100km I think. I didn't track mileage accurately on my old 2.0L GS, but I know I'm getting more km/tank in this car with the same driving habits. About 520km when I'm getting close to empty vs 420-450km in the old car.

interesting. wonder what a 2.5L engine would get in that situation? maybe 11L ?

my EL gets 10.8 L/100km with a heavy foot in 75% city driving (rush hour North York traffic along Sheppard and/or Yonge)

Beyond gets 7.7L with 90% city?? i guess you have the opposite of a lead foot? or maybe you don't have to deal with the horribly congested roads like Sheppard and Yonge.

beyond
05-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Haha my main drive is driving down Birchmount to Eglinton every day. Traffic is slow for sure. I try to shift anywhere from 2000 - 2500 RPM's.

Xtropy
05-28-2012, 05:55 PM
I am averaging around 7.4 l/100km since December when I got my M3 Skyactiv hatch and never broke 10 l/100km. I do a commute from Mississauga from QEW to 427 to 401 to 400 near Vaughan and back. The highways are all stop and go during rush hour which I am stuck in. I try to stay as light on the gas as possible and coast when I can. Getting under 7 regularly this month. Car has about 12,500 on it now.

I honestly hoped for better numbers but comparing to others on this thread, I got pretty good numbers...

First pic shows my history and the white line is my fuel economy with the light blue as the trend. The yellow is gas price.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-s47W7TKCJBs/T8Pxt-rxfPI/AAAAAAAAFY0/IX5Z9n9tabI/s800/image.png

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GUyb8NkoYo0/T8Pxt95yfVI/AAAAAAAAFY4/JGmqFVJZlJo/s800/image_1.png

beyond
05-28-2012, 06:57 PM
:like

zzz3
05-29-2012, 12:07 AM
what app is that?

Unoriginalusername
05-29-2012, 08:06 AM
what app is that?

x2. wish fuelly mobile was more like that rather than a web page link

cwp_sedan
05-29-2012, 08:15 AM
That app is called Road Trip

dambay
05-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Yup gd lck w/ that and keep us posted...hopefully it's sth minor like that

So I spoke with Prima Mazda, and they told me that they did use 0w20 synthetic for the oil change. I have no documentation that indicates that, so its possible that they are just telling me what I want to hear. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I can't think of another reason why my mileage would have taken such a sudden drop like this, and coincidentally right after I got the oil change. It's got me worried that something else is going on.

beyond
05-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Weird....did you ask the dealer about why the mileage would've dropped drastically after the oil change? Maybe they did something else that you weren't aware of?

dambay
05-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Nope, didn't mention anything. They said if I brought it in they would do an engine diagnostic to see if something triggers the check engine light, but given that its not already on, its unlikely that anything will come of it. I don't want to waste money needlessly either. I'm disappointed because my mileage wasn't stellar from the start, but I figured once it was broken in and I got my first oil change, things would improve. The fact that I'm seeing the opposite is disconcerting.

dietsprite
06-01-2012, 12:34 AM
I have 1800 km on the engine and driving 95% in the city im getting 8.5 L / 100 km

Drob
06-03-2012, 01:57 PM
I've been getting 9.5l/100 with my 2012 gt 85% city driving. Not sky active of course, but interesting to see the difference.

dambay
06-07-2012, 12:35 PM
So I've linked my Fuelly below. The most recent fill-up is from a trip to Kingston to visit my fiancee. So about 90% highway driving. It is an improvement over the previous fill up, but it was 75% city. I would have expected much better than 8.3L/100km for 90% highway, but looking at the trend, my mileage shows a steady decline since March. I don't know if I'm just paranoid that something is wrong with my car, but I can't help but be concern that a) they screwed something up at the dealership when they changed my oil or, b) something more serious is wrong. Not sure what I should do at this point. Damn those people on fuelly averaging less than 7.0L/100km!

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/dambay/3

dambay
06-07-2012, 12:38 PM
The oil change was on May 10, fyi.

P.S. do i need a certain number of posts, etc before I can edit my own posts? Or I'm I just not seeing the option?

Unoriginalusername
06-07-2012, 12:49 PM

P.S. do i need a certain number of posts, etc before I can edit my own posts? Or I'm I just not seeing the option?

it's the light grey text that matches the background that says edit.....:chuckle

and yes you do need more than 50 i think

S.F.W.
06-07-2012, 12:53 PM

you need 100 posts to have edit permission

erik
06-09-2012, 10:45 AM
I have about 1350km on my skyactiv so far and have filled up twice. Both tanks were around 85% city, taking it really easy on the first and fairly easy on the second. Averaged 7.9L/100km and 7.7L/100km respectively. Not bad for brand new! Eager to see how it does on a long highway trip once it is more thoroughly broken in.

NOTLguy
06-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Ok, I posted this in another thread but here it is again. I just filled up my Skyactiv for the first time and got 7.09 liters/100 km. I am a conservative driver and this was 95% city driving and taking it easy during the break-in period. Needless to say I am very happy to achieve the stated brochure mileage on the first tank. :headbang Can't wait to see what a highway trip produces and what affect the first oil change will have.

NOTLguy

Unoriginalusername
06-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Ok, I posted this in another thread but here it is again. I just filled up my Skyactiv for the first time and got 7.09 liters/100 km. I am a conservative driver and this was 95% city driving and taking it easy during the break-in period. Needless to say I am very happy to achieve the stated brochure mileage on the first tank. :headbang Can't wait to see what a highway trip produces and what affect the first oil change will have.

NOTLguy

hate to burst your bubble but filling one time can be deceiving as some pumps click off at different points; its only after a few fill ups preferably from the same pump/station that you'll have a more accurate idea of your consumption

NOTLguy
06-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Oh well, I guess I will have to wait a few weeks to see what the second tank computes to.

NOTLguy

Astig02
06-11-2012, 10:51 AM

NOTLguy

That is still a good first fill up. This can even get better since your are still in the break in period.
This reminds me of my first fill up last fall on my '11 GT, let just say it's in the CUV/SUv territory in terms of Fuel efficiency. :)

sudz
06-11-2012, 11:48 AM
I donno, Skyactive might be a bit overhyped IMO. I have a 2007 2.0 5Spd with 160,000km... Driving to the cottage and back, stuck in stop-go 401 traffic in the city, I average 6.8l/100km. With the A/C on for most of it too. What are people observing for Highway Mileage?

greyseason
06-12-2012, 10:22 AM
I've been getting fairly good gas mileage but has been dropping it seems after each full up.. I'm still averaging 40-41mpg, the lowest being 36 I believe, and the highest being 47! That was about 96%highway. Went from ingrasol to Lindsay ontario and back on half a tank! I'm doing that trek again on the long weekend so I can see how I do again, but I have noticed the mileage going down since I first bought the car.

Side note, do you guys know if an after market exhaust will void my warrety? Or if there's a thread about it? Thanks guys!

rgs
06-21-2012, 02:38 PM
My last fill up (today) I hit 5.35 litres per 100 (52.8 mpg). My second best - a few weeks ago I hit 5.25). My average mpg for the last 6 fill ups is 5.9 litres per 100 (48 mpg) so it's getting better. Just under 7500 kilometres on the car and going in for first service next week. I find it makes a difference if I'm the only one in the car. When the wife is with me it's hauling extra weight and everything adds up. Also when she drives she's a little heavier on the pedal than I am. This is one great car.

JHX 1138
06-24-2012, 01:35 AM
When the wife is with me it's hauling extra weight and everything adds up. Also when she drives she's a little heavier on the pedal than I am.

I hope your wife doesn't read this forum dude... :chuckle

beyond
06-25-2012, 12:40 PM
^ LOL

rgs
07-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Lots of people in California getting great mpg with the Skyactiv.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2012/07/2012-mazda3-skyactiv-highway-fuel-economy.html

puronica
07-17-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm currently at about 8500km on my sky 6spd, and been averaging roughly 6.9L/100km +/-.2L. purchased the car in mid May and use it for work, so its always hauling my tools around the gta. What I've noticed is that at hwy spds theres a big difference in consumption between traveling at 100km/h and 120km/h, even though the rpm difference is only about 500revs. And also that the motor drinks petrocan and sips shell.

hisakix
08-30-2012, 07:38 PM
All this talk about MPG etc etc but not many people seem to take into account some of the most important factors: temperature, weather (wind, snow), and the DRIVER. Did you have to drive in icy/snow conditions? Was there a ton of wind resistence, what was your SPEED? This does not apply to everyone, but I personally know 2 good friends who claim to drive "conservatively" but in reality could slow down on the green light pedal to metal habits. I'm not trying to contradict anyone, I'm just pointing out that sometimes you have to take what someone says with a grain of salt. I have a 2012 Sky hatch and I drive 90% in stop and go traffic Toronto in the summer with 3000km on the car. I have AC on 90% of the time on dial 1. I avg 7.4-7.7L/100km. Driving habits and weather plays such a big role, don't forget to account of these things.

Rgs, I noticed you posted your not so "stellar" results in the winter, did you know winter driving increases fuel consumption significantly? I don't even want to know what horrible conditions NS has in store for drivers let alone how much that heater and defroster is siphoning from your fuel tank.

rgs
08-31-2012, 06:55 AM
I actually have done all my driving in the spring and summer. Haven't had the car for a winter yet. But you're right, Hisakix, about driving conditions. That's why a single result is fairly meaningless. Only an average over a number of fill ups - the more the better - is indicative.

Jowo72
09-05-2012, 08:35 PM
I've hit 4.8/100km Once. Usually average around 5.7-6.2 90% Hwy. City tanks still average around 7-7.5. Have almost 19k on the car, recieved it in december '11.

Can't complain, gets almost the same MPG as My bike.

rgs
09-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Great results. You're at the top of the class. Any tips you can give the rest of us?

thirdgen3
09-06-2012, 09:49 AM
My Sky's MPG keeps getting better. I've had it since May'12. Right now I'm averaging 780-850km a tank. 85% hwy driven. I'm just being easy on acceleration and coasting when possible. :D

Jowo72
09-06-2012, 07:55 PM
I really don't try anything special to conserve fuel, I guess my advice is well inflated tires and drive patiently?

ismail_alikhan
09-10-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm getting about 32MPG over 23K kms with fairly aggressive city/ highway driving - Newmarket to Mississauga trip weekday. I've had my car since February.
That averages out to about 625Kms in one tank of gas (Light comes on)- fillup around 45L.

By far the best milage I have ever seen on an automatic car.

Just for reference I used to get 30 mpg with my 2009 mazda3 GX 2.0 5MT or about 575 kms in one given tank.

doughboyr6
09-12-2012, 08:52 AM
I've hit 4.8/100km Once. Usually average around 5.7-6.2 90% Hwy. City tanks still average around 7-7.5. Have almost 19k on the car, recieved it in december '11.

Can't complain, gets almost the same MPG as My bike.

I've had my CX-5 since March and I've recorded every tank of gas on my iphone app since the 3rd tank of gas onwards. My best run was 7.5L/100kms and highest was 9.4L/100kms.

From April 6 till present, Ive had 18 fill ups not including my current tank. My avg is 8.16L/100kms. My car now has about 12000kms. My driving is about 60% city/40% hwy

eSS
09-13-2012, 06:53 PM
I just got my car and at about 580kms and still haven't filled up yet. I have about 3 bars to go till empty hoping to get at least 650-700kms out of it. I travel from Pickering to Markham for work in the dead of night so no real traffic to deal with. Coming home in the mornings I end up taking taunton/steeles home which drops the MPG's slightly.

SkyG
09-14-2012, 10:19 AM
since last filled up and drove 100km and still full bars
http://i46.tinypic.com/jaj80n.jpg

and today at 180km lost 2 bars.

hoping to achieve at least 500km b4 the last 1/4

eSS
09-14-2012, 11:48 AM
since last filled up and drove 100km and still full bars
http://i46.tinypic.com/jaj80n.jpg

and today at 180km lost 2 bars.

hoping to achieve at least 500km b4 the last 1/4

Sounds similar to me. Picked up my car last week and drove almost 147kms before losing a bar. Just filled up today at 654km when the light came on.

Booter22
09-14-2012, 12:05 PM
so far looks pretty good. right now my 2010 non sky is about 240 and 1/4 down. if it keeps up that mileage its going to do very well on this tank but anything around 600 is always good considering the mods. :)

hisakix
09-15-2012, 06:09 AM
For me personally the way I drive changes the rating significantly. 90% city in the summer I can do 7.1-7.2L/100km but when I drive more aggressively it is easily 8.2-8.5L/100Km. It's not bad for mostly city roads during rush hour and AC on 75% of the time but I could easily save some money and only lose out in what little seconds I save during more aggressive commutes.

rgs
09-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Unfortunately, the number of kilometers showing after the fuel gauge drops one bar is more a function of how much the tank the filled rather than the mileage the car is getting. If you overfill the tank you can get up to 180 kilometers or more before it drops one bar but that doesn't necessarily mean the mileage will be better than when it shows just 120 kilometers when it drops one.

GTC
09-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Hey everyone,
I'm on my thrid fill with my new sky but was wondering...
The manual and brochure say that it has a 55L tank, but the light has come on all three time (measuring my consumption per tank) I'm at about 650km/tank.
However, my issue seems to be that everytime the light comes on and I fill, I only seem to fill 45 maybe 46 litres.
Is this normal?
I called the dealership and they say yes, it is, but I doubt it. Every other car I've had seems to be respective to the tank size. Old civic had a 50L tank, light would come on and I'd fill 48L.

Seshan
09-19-2012, 09:00 AM
I think I read some where that you could go another 80km after the light comes on. (Don't hold me to that :P ) I really doubt they lied about the tank size, the light just comes on earlier to give people more time to fill up before they run out of gas.

.eXe
09-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Hey Seshan, I just bought a M3 SKy as well and the dealer told me that the light will go on when there is only 5L of gas remaining, to give you a chance to get gas before the tank totally runs out. Hope that helps :)

Booter22
09-19-2012, 11:51 AM
my 2010 3 has the 55L tank and ive driven my car with the light on and until the last bar is gone. and still only managed to fill up 49L i believe that when the last bar is gone you should have about 5L of fuel remaining, and with the last bar and the light on should be abotu 10L of fuel. so that would be correct if you are filling up with the light on and 1 bar left to only be able to fill 45L of fuel.

GTC
09-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks Seshan, Booter22 and .exe.
Booter22 and .exe.
Both of you seem to be on the same page and that does make sense... I'll try driving it until the last bar is gone and then fill it up to see how many litres I can get in it.
Just thought it seemed a little "overly cautious".
Thanks

ace_master
09-20-2012, 09:43 AM
The good news is that IF you happen to run out of gas, you've got roadside assistance on your new car :D.

mazda72
09-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Usually when the light comes on you still have around 8-10l in the tank, enabling you to still drive a considerable distance before the car stops. I had the same with my Protege5 and on my Mazda5.

Ozil
09-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Usually when the light comes on you still have around 8-10l in the tank, enabling you to still drive a considerable distance before the car stops. I had the same with my Protege5 and on my Mazda5.

+1

Booter22
09-20-2012, 01:09 PM
same thing in my last car (ford focus) when it got to the empty line and the light came on there was always 5-10L in the tank when filling up.

S.F.W.
09-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Would be great if this was a customizable setting. Say it came factory set at 10L, and you or the dealer could change it to 5, or 15.

JD@WhitbyMazda
09-20-2012, 02:11 PM
On the flip side, how mad would you be if the light came on and you thought you had more time? Better to be stuck on the side of caution than be stuck on the side of the road... :.02

greyseason
09-20-2012, 06:38 PM
true day^

I usually have around 10L when my light goes on and im down to the last bar in my sky

XTOTHEL
09-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Yea never filled past 50L. Even with the last bar gone.

sarujo
09-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Driving around with less than a quarter tank or even until it's emtpy is hard on the fuel pump. Not only will your fuel pump be happier, but you won't be SOL if you get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with a few litres left.

This is especially important in the winter and cold months as more condensation can form inside the gas tank when you have little fuel remaining.

Murdoc
09-21-2012, 11:55 AM
For anyone using Fuelly to track their fuel economy, does anyone know if their SMS tracking is available in Canada? Their website states US only, but in their options they included Canada and UK.

htc***
09-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Unfortunately, the number of kilometers showing after the fuel gauge drops one bar is more a function of how much the tank the filled rather than the mileage the car is getting. If you overfill the tank you can get up to 180 kilometers or more before it drops one bar but that doesn't necessarily mean the mileage will be better than when it shows just 120 kilometers when it drops one.

+1

GTC
09-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Thanks everyone,
It seems to be pretty consistent.
S.F.W. totally agree about the customizing the settings, and ace_master you're right about the road side. lol

Burner
09-24-2012, 04:50 PM
I've done over 150km's in my '05 2.3L once the gas light came on. I'm sure you could do more in the sky!

GTC
09-24-2012, 06:23 PM
I'll have to try it out and let you all know.

MattL
09-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Well, so far I've picked my car up in Whitby on Monday night, drove around a bit, drove home to Scarborough. Then drove from Scarborough to Concord every day since then, and I've got one bar over half still. I think I'm closer to 300km driven at this point, so I'm pretty happy so far.

Was pumping $30-40 every 5 days in my old car. Now it's been about 4 days and I'm just over half. :D

DDUKI
10-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Just wondering... when you guys fill the gas full, do you guys stop pumping right after it "CLICK"s or give some more "CLICK"s to get more fuel in...??
I know the difference is pretty minimal...

thirdgen3
10-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Just wondering... when you guys fill the gas full, do you guys stop pumping right after it "CLICK"s or give some more "CLICK"s to get more fuel in...??
I know the difference is pretty minimal...

I always stop right after it clicks.

rgs
10-04-2012, 07:25 AM
I stop at the click. It may be better for getting the same amount of fuel into the tank every time and so help the accuracy of your mpg calculations, although I've heard there can be a bit of difference between where pumps stop in this regard. I asked Mazda about overfilling and they recommended stopping at the click. Don't know if this was a boilerplate recommendation or whether overfilling can really cause a problem, but I decided to go with it. Of course, the advantage of overfilling is that you can get more distance between fill ups. Some people can get over 1,000 kilometers a tank this way. For the most accurate mpg calculations it's important to be as consistent as possible and the more fill ups you're averaging out the more accurate the figure will be.

cobra
10-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Wondering how people are doing with the Skyactiv milage. The best I've done on 3 fillups is 6.6l/100 (avg 6.7/100) almost all highway driving.

How fast do you drive on the freeway? Try cruising at 100 km/h with your cruise on and see what happens. The fun factor will go down a bit but you might see that magic 50 MPG number sooner ;)

MattL
10-08-2012, 06:09 PM
I never fill up from fumes, I always fill my car with about 1/4 of a tank left. So I'm not entirely sure what my tank can get out of it exactly, but I'm at around 1200km driven and burned through 2 fills ups and right now I'm at above 3/4's full. If I recall correctly my last go between fill ups was about ~600km which is 3/4 of my tank, so maybe 750-800km/tank so far.

Whether that's good or how it stacks up to other people here is neither here nor there for me. Right now it's the simple pleasure that I am getting almost double my fuel economy that I was getting before. Saving huge bucks in the long run.

MattL
10-09-2012, 12:47 PM
So I just re-read what I said yesterday and it's kinda confusing.

I just did some calculations and plugged my gas receipts into Fuelly.com and got 8.3 km/L. I think it might be skewed because I don't dry bones my tank before filling, but I estimated I get about ~660km before I decide to fill up. Usually that's about 2 bars remaining on my gauge, so I could very weel get close to 800 if I'm being risky and conditions are in my favour.

It's only two fill ups, so I really can't make a solid conclusion until I've had at least 10, I'd say. So far, so good though.

thirdgen3
10-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Right now I'm at 510km, half a tank still left.

eSS
10-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Just cracked 700kms (first time) have two bars left. I'm sure the light will come on, on my way to work tonight

MattL
10-11-2012, 01:43 PM
I just did some calculations and plugged my gas receipts into Fuelly.com and got 8.3 km/L.

So THAT was definitely a typo in regards to the units, LOL.

8.3 L/100km is what it should say. Otherwise I am getting considerably less mileage.

walkabout
10-19-2012, 03:49 PM
I also have a 2012 sport GS sky, auto transmission. I'm extremely disappointed with gas mileage. I cruise on the highway 95% of my mileage between Belleville and Toronto. Sometimes there's some traffic, but generally I can set my cruise control and sit back. For 50L, I can get at most 750km, which means more like 6.7L/100km and that's a lot different from the 4.9L/100km on their site. I've pushed my luck a few times, going another 50km or so after all the fuel gauge bars are gone. These cars are supposed to get close to 1000km on one tank of highway driving (assuming 50L, so it's not bone dry). I actually read an article in a Mazda magazine at the dealer, and the author raved about how he got 997km out of a tank. I'm going to assume he is somehow affiliated with Mazda. Apparently the fuel economy testing is done sticking to 100km/h, no wind, no hills, no accessories on (radio, AC etc.), no stopping etc.

Impressive
10-19-2012, 06:17 PM
I also have a 2012 sport GS sky, auto transmission. I'm extremely disappointed with gas mileage. I cruise on the highway 95% of my mileage between Belleville and Toronto. Sometimes there's some traffic, but generally I can set my cruise control and sit back. For 50L, I can get at most 750km, which means more like 6.7L/100km and that's a lot different from the 4.9L/100km on their site. I've pushed my luck a few times, going another 50km or so after all the fuel gauge bars are gone. These cars are supposed to get close to 1000km on one tank of highway driving (assuming 50L, so it's not bone dry). I actually read an article in a Mazda magazine at the dealer, and the author raved about how he got 997km out of a tank. I'm going to assume he is somehow affiliated with Mazda. Apparently the fuel economy testing is done sticking to 100km/h, no wind, no hills, no accessories on (radio, AC etc.), no stopping etc.

Obviously it is. Fuel economy testing is done so that is maximizes the use of anything fuel saving, rendering results like that in day-to-day use almost impossible. Your fuel economy is not that bad...not to be "extremely disappointed" over anyways.

sarujo
10-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Since your car is new, how many km's on it? I find the motors tend of take a while before being most effiicient. Make sure your tires are inflated properly to the #'s on the driver's door. On my 2010 w/ 16" wheels it's 35psi. What speed are you cruising on the hwy and what are the rpm's?

As pointed out, figures posted are done in absolutely perfect conditions that require a lot of effort to get normally. You are probably doing 120km/h in your commuting, no? :) Are you tracking your mileage more precisely with fuelly?

My 2010 5MT 2.0L can get very close or at it's 5.9L/100km hwy. In the summer my combine hwy (crawl) and city is about mid to high 6's. I track fuelly closely and I have noticed a slow decrease in mileage over the past 3 weeks or so, and is soley from changing weather conditions. We will also be into the winter gas season and snow tires bringing with it more reductions overall.

doughboyr6
10-19-2012, 11:33 PM
i recorded my best tank to date today.

662kms and there was probably another 8-10kms left on the tank. not bad for a CUV, but i really wanted to crack 700kms.

Booter22
10-20-2012, 10:35 PM
i didnt start to notice good fuel economy in my 3s until after 24,000 km. and we have 3 of them. :D

Booter22
10-21-2012, 10:32 AM
just use fuelly to track your fuel consumption

walkabout
10-21-2012, 01:43 PM
I've got just over 13k on my car now. I'd like to cruise at 120, but last few tanks, i've cut down to 110. I would love to drive more spirited, but trying to be careful. Not much revving over 3000rpm, gentle acceleration etc. Tires are a couple psi low, will top them up today. At 110kph, rpm's are at about 2100. I bought the car primarily for fuel economy, so that's why I'm so disappointed. It's a nice little car all round though. I'm used to driving much bigger vehicles with V8 or V6's, so sick of filling up so often and spending up to $1000 a month on gas. If I could get even 800km from a tank (about 2 round trips Belleville-Toronto), I'd be much happier. Well, I sure hope the gas consumption will decrease a bit over time...

sarujo
10-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Give it more time and yes, be more vigilent on tire pressure. Switching to all synthetic gear oil is a good idea as well. Sign up for Fuelly and start tracking more accurately. And what fuel are you using? I tend to stick with Shell or Esso and avoid the bargain brand stuff..

Booter22
10-21-2012, 11:37 PM
but as said already. you now wont notice any increase in fuel econ until it starts to get warmer. unless you drive more so at 100 all the time to try and increase it a bit but i know how hard and dangerous that is on the hwys. but until its warm out again all fuel economy will decrease as its the time it takes the engine to reach operating temp. winter takes longer summer is shorter.

walkabout
10-22-2012, 08:45 PM
I use mostly Shell, then maybe Esso and Canadian tire (at the highway service centers). In the summer, my AC is always cranked, so I suspect I'd get better economy in the winter.

dambay
10-23-2012, 08:40 AM
If you take the spare tire out of the Mazda 3, it will go even further.

Unless you get a flat! *badum tshhhh*

2012speed3
10-23-2012, 08:49 AM
If you take the spare tire out of the Mazda 3, it will go even further.

Barely :rolleyes

Tahna Los
10-23-2012, 05:05 PM
650 for my first tank, all the way until the last bar. Filled up before that. And that is including city driving.

Tahna Los
10-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Also, yes they tend to overfill gas tanks when you receive the vehicle.

Booter22
10-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Also, yes they tend to overfill gas tanks when you receive the vehicle.

... how do you overfill gas? its filled at a gas station that stops when full...:bang

eSS
10-24-2012, 08:16 AM
where is the best place to get your new car rust proof? Dealer is asking $899 for life time, which i think is a full of crap.

For that same price Mazda offered I went to FX auto and got 35% all around, clear bra and rust proofing, all with life time warranty. To upkeep the rust warranty you must go back each year and get it touched up

2012speed3
10-24-2012, 09:39 AM
i recorded my best tank to date today.

662kms and there was probably another 8-10kms left on the tank. not bad for a CUV, but i really wanted to crack 700kms.

we actually got 715km out of the last tank on the CX-5

eSS
10-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Mileage on my skyactiv slowly getting better in the short time I've had it. Was averaging around 650kms on my first few fill ups. Now getting about 760kms.

Tahna Los
10-26-2012, 07:33 AM
... how do you overfill gas? its filled at a gas station that stops when full...:bang

They tend to ease up on gas delivery and pull the nozzle upwards to fill the top part of the tank. When I first drove the vehicle, it took almost 120 km before 1 bar would be finished. That first tank lasted about 650 km. And that includes city driving.

Usually when I fill up I tend not to do that as I usually go for the nearest round number and stop there.

standsideways
10-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Dont remove your spare to save gas. It wont save you anything, a windy day alone would make more difference than 4 spare tires.

3200lb car..40lb spare...keep it!

Imaging your wife being stuck on the side of the highway with a flat..she calls mazda roadside, they send CAA...caa takes an hour and its -20 and your wife is on the side of the 400 waiting for her savior(caa)

CAA arrives, goes to get the spare on the brand new car...opps not there, my husband wanted to try and save .000009 mpg by removing the spare.

Now buddy has to leave and send a flatbed...wife now on side of 400 in -20 for 2 hrs now waiting for a flatbed.

Flatbed gets there, says "where do you want me to take the car?" She says "mazda" so it goes to mazda and sits there for a few days or hours or whatever, when the whole time she could have been back on the road on with her life safely :)

Keep the spare sir!! Want Fuel milage? trade in for hybrid or electric.

Zoom Zoom does not belong with "fuel sipping" to me lol

:)

JHX 1138
10-26-2012, 01:25 PM
I tend to agree, removing a spare to "save gas" makes about as much sense as driving without speakers, radio, passenger seats, trim, etc.

better yet, you guys should start going to the gym, it's obvious your fuel economy is so bad because you're 100 lb. overweight. Try the "sad somalian kid on TV Diet", and you'll have Hybrid-like fuel economy in no time.

eSS
10-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Look through the threads and previous posts here. It's ranges from what I've seen from 500-800kms. For what it is this is very good for the dollar. Removing a spare tire will do Absolutly nothing for your mileage, don't waste your time.

El oh el at the "Somalian kid diet"

eSS
10-28-2012, 03:20 PM
98k on one bar? I'm averaging sometimes 180kms on one bar with 50/50 driving, without over filling. I've never heard of anyone getting 1176kms. I'm sure I've seen a post a while ago where someone hit 1000kms. It all comes down to how you drive the car

dambay
10-28-2012, 04:46 PM
I have the hatch automatic and I got the vehicle Oct 25

I let you know in a week or so how much kilo in a full tank of gas.

Does anybody know where is the side view mirror heater switch??

Doesn't have one...?

dambay
10-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the advise on the spare tire.

In your opinion, is the skyactiv engine almost in par with hybrids or close to it because i managed to get 98k (60hwy,40city) on one bar.

Since this vesicle has 12 bars with 55Litre gas thank, so each bar is 4.58Litres

Do the math, one tank should be able to get me estimated 1176km.

If the gas tank were the same cross sectional shape all the way to the bottom, sure, but in reality it seems to get narrower towards the bottom, so you will make it much farther on each 'notch' when the tank is full, but as the tank empties you will get less and less as the tank empties

Tahna Los
10-29-2012, 06:00 PM
8.0L/100 km for a new car is quite good with City driving. Considering that on other cars, 8.0L/100km is for highway driving.

Impressive
10-30-2012, 06:39 PM
I have the hatch automatic and I got the vehicle Oct 25

I let you know in a week or so how much kilo in a full tank of gas.

Does anybody know where is the side view mirror heater switch??

If you turn on your rear defrost, your side mirror's heating systems will automatically kick in.

eSS
11-02-2012, 09:24 PM
I find working nights I don't really hit any traffic going to or coming home from work. Also staying at a consistant speed helps as well. No special oils or engines mods. There was one post here a while ago of a sky owner who shot a picture of hitting 200kms and didn't lose any bars

icebalm
11-03-2012, 09:45 PM
My first tank of gas I got 650km, second I got 750km with approx 7L still in the tank so that's about 6.4L/100KM, I'm currently on my third now.

eSS
11-04-2012, 03:19 AM
For me, I bought the hatchback skyactiv (Oct.25,2012) with hood and sunroof deflector installed and i got 365km in the first half tank. Half is highway.

One your first tank?!? Good god where were u driving

Edit nvmd. Just read half tank. But it'll eventually get better. I'm averaging about 450 on a half tank. Give it time:)

Impressive
11-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Why do you need time for the car to improve inefficiency???

If your car is brand new, the engine needs to be worked in before you can start to expect realistic numbers in terms of fuel consumption.

eSS
11-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Search the boards there plenty of folks here with skyactiv's who's mileage has slowly gotten better over time. Same can be said with any new car for that matter

Mazduh
11-06-2012, 01:56 PM
How did you manged to get 180km on one bar? Are you using synthetic oil or a corksport ram intake?

I average 125-150kms on the first bar. Nothing special. It's 100% in how you drive the car.

eSS
11-08-2012, 07:55 AM
As said before its how you drive the vehicle. When I drove it off the lot I went to about 148kms before losing one bar. Sometimes its higher sometimes its lower. But from my driving habits as I got used to the car it gradually got higher. Just recently I lost a bar at 158 because I was booting it a bit more than I'm used to

Mazduh
11-08-2012, 07:14 PM
How long you had the car?

Since July. Just reaching the 5000km mark.

Tahna Los
11-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Is it really a 55 L tank?

I ask this because on a whim, I decided to fill up all the way to the absolute top, as much as the tank can hold.

The Fuel gauge claims that there is just over half the tank of fuel remaining, but I put in a little more than 44 litres. :whoa

It took almost 200 km before it dropped 1 bar on the fuel gauge. And after the fuel tank is at the halfway point, I can do about another 350 km before I need to fill up. Right now at the halfway mark, I already clocked 500km.

Can someone confirm this or am I imagining things?

Hyperion
11-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Is it really a 55 L tank?

I ask this because on a whim, I decided to fill up all the way to the absolute top, as much as the tank can hold.

The Fuel gauge claims that there is just over half the tank of fuel remaining, but I put in a little more than 44 litres. :whoa

It took almost 200 km before it dropped 1 bar on the fuel gauge. And after the fuel tank is at the halfway point, I can do about another 350 km before I need to fill up. Right now at the halfway mark, I already clocked 500km.

Can someone confirm this or am I imagining things?

It's 55L

Tahna Los
11-09-2012, 09:58 AM
So that means when the gauge says its half full it's only 11L? Doesn't make sense.

gotak
11-09-2012, 11:12 PM
So that means when the gauge says its half full it's only 11L? Doesn't make sense.

It does because the gas level sensor is linear but the gas tank shape can be odd. And most manufacturers don't bother to calibrate it so that half is really half.

Tahna Los
11-10-2012, 06:52 PM
It's actually an automatic, but the fuel efficiency difference is subtle. It's just that the so called "halfway mark" of the tank is not as intuitive as I thought it should be.

Tahna Los
11-10-2012, 06:53 PM
And yes, I'm still using the stock tires.

walkabout
11-11-2012, 09:50 AM
850km out of a tank? I would love to get that from mine. I also find I can get more km from the top half of the tank as compared to the bottom half.

So my 3 is in the body shop, had a little ooops. They gave me a Kia Forte as a rental. I've only burned one tank of gas, doing the same driving as I normally do. I estimate I've gotten about 7.1L/100km. On the Kia website, they claim 6.5L/100km highway. So, I'm getting close enough to their claim.

I would SERIOUSLY love to know why my 3 is getting such dismal mileage as compared to the Mazda claims!

Tahna Los
11-12-2012, 07:16 AM
So filled up today after running the tank down to the last bar.

When the gas meter was close to 50L, the filling stopped. Makes sense as there was probably 5L left in the tank when I pulled into the gas station.

I then decided to pull the pump up and to see how much more fuel I could stuff in there. Looks like I got almost another 10L before it became really full.

From my last complete fill up, total mileage on this tank is 770 km. Given that I filled the tank precisely the same way the last time, the mileage I appear to be getting is 7.7L/100km. This is including city driving.

I'll need to do this again at another gas station to ensure that the one I went to wasn't ripping me off, but it would look like the actual capacity is 65L, and not 55L.

Booter22
11-12-2012, 09:54 AM
make sure to use fuelly if tracking fuel economy. it will measure fuel km vs L of fuel used. not based on the whole tank.

Humayun Sharif
11-12-2012, 11:51 AM
How many KM you have travel per tank for

City only ?
HWY only ?
Combine ?

Have anyone reach more than 700KM per tank in city driving and more than 1K KM in HWY driving ?

With first full tank of 55 L I was able to drive only 482 km (combine) mostly in the city (20% highway drive). This is really frustrating. The main criteria for purchasing was the fuel economy and now I feel that I have been cheated. Even my 17 year old Toyota Corolla is still like the same fuel economy compared to this brand new Mazda3 sport 2012 Skyactive.

Booter22
11-12-2012, 12:09 PM
fuel economy generally gets better as the car ages. i had the hardest time to get anything over 500 in my 2010 mazda 3 until i got to 24,000 km and after the first year i noticed a huge improvement. could get anywhere from 550-650 average. but it is all how you drive. city will always be wayy less then hwy. for instance my car right now has 580km and 1/4 tank left. i drove to napanee and back this weekend and stayed at 100km/h. so if i average 650-700 for this tank i will be really happy. but before on the hwy with the colder temps i would find the average around 500-550. currently the car has 67,000 km. but if your hard to accelerate and push the car into higher rpms. you will get less fuel economy. track with fuelly to be sure and watch what you get. like i said as it gets closer to the 1 year mark i find most cars improve enough. but now with the colder weather on its way you wont find any to much improvement sadly. :(

thirdgen3
11-12-2012, 12:31 PM
I bought my car new in May of this year and it varies.
On my first bar I get anywhere from 90km-145km, depending on driving habits like others have said.
It also depends on how many times you turn the car on and off. I'm averaging about 700-750ish a tank, it's gotten a little worse since I put my winters on.

Tahna Los
11-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Too bad your car doesn't have a trip computer. The touring version in the states have it but not in Canada.

It is but the only gripe in what is essentially a nice car.

eSS
11-12-2012, 06:17 PM
How bad is it a hit in gas mileage with the winters on. I'm averaging about 700-750kms in 50/50 driving? What do u think it'll drop to?

Booter22
11-12-2012, 07:28 PM
if there is legit snow out with negative temps. maybe 550-650. depending really.could average around 600-650 maybe mroe

eSS
11-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Ill post an update when I actually go ahead and put my snows on and the wet stuff hits the ground

Tahna Los
11-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Don't expect any good mileage in this car. The chassis is not skyactiv and manifold as well.

You see small improvements but far behind in diesel and hybrid, but again diesel and hybrids are so expensive.

For me, I don't see any improvements.

I do a lot of highway driving so I do notice some improvements, much more so than the Cobalt I had previously, which was 8.3L/100km. This during a time when I was taking the highway most of the time. I do agree though, with diesel and hybrids being so expensive (I was considering a Golf TDI before I settled on the Mazda 3), the cost of the car outweighs any savings. I'm not asking for 1000 km for a tank like some of my friends with TDIs ask for, but being able to do 800km before actually requiring a fillup works for me just fine.

eSS
11-13-2012, 06:04 AM
edit* should have put them on earlier. Light flurries started around 4AM this morning in Markham

Aitch
11-13-2012, 07:28 AM
edit* should have put them on earlier. Light flurries started around 4AM this morning in Markham

Lulz DAT'S WUT I'VE BEN SAYIN'.

Booter22
11-13-2012, 10:28 AM
eddie.. do you mean the handbrake being close to the passenger side? i dont think it would have been comfortable to have it on the driverside between the seat andf your elbow it would be hard to grasp comfortably. :chuckle but its not like that 4-5 inchs on the other side makes it hard to reach. if thats what your talking about anyway.

Don't expect any good mileage in this car. The chassis is not skyactiv and manifold as well.
You see small improvements but far behind in diesel and hybrid, but again diesel and hybrids are so expensive.
For me, I don't see any improvements.

correct.. sort of. the only thing skyactive in the mazda 3 is the engine / trans. the header is not the same 4-2-1 in the cx5 hence the lower compression from the Cx5 to the 3. but it does not have the full skyactive pay load. from lighter body frame. suspension design and so on. that is to be seen on the next mazda 3 sky active re design, which may be coming out after the mazda 6. 2014 ish or so.

eSS
11-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Lulz DAT'S WUT I'VE BEN SAYIN'.

Trust me I was outside doing the whole Darth Vader NOOOOOO bit in the hotel parking lot

walkabout
11-13-2012, 06:01 PM
I also have a 2007 Nissan Quest minivan. I drive it harder than my 3, but still mostly highway. It's got nearly 400,000km on it, and it's always returned around 10L/100km which is pretty well what Nissan specs are.

I'm going to just come out and say it, I think Mazda has made a very big lie about the fuel consumption of the skyactive.

Booter22
11-13-2012, 09:40 PM
they didnt lie, but the car has to break in. you cant expect to get what it says right out the door. not to mention when the cars are tested say for high way. its not driven on our high way and in stop and go traffic. i would think a dyno is how they do it. but its perfectly flat, speeds at 100km/h all the time until the tank or tanks are empty to get an average. perfect operating temps. no up hill down hill stop and go. no ac. just the car at the same speed for how ever many km until the tank is empty. it doesnt account for the daily drive we do. no manufacture performs a test that way. ( wish they did as it would be way more on point)

like said before, you wont see an increase now until it warms up again in the spring. only thing you can do if you still before your first 8,000 km. is go in and get that packing oil out and change up for some fresh stuff. even get the better then oem, castrol, mobil 1. i did my fist oil change at 2,000 km to let it wear in and then get some fresh oil in. not saying that will make a huge difference but its a start. track with fuelly and monitor as you drive, last year before winter i was in the mid to low 7L/100km. around jan/feb it got up to low 9L/100km. so track it and make sure to stay on top of maint, air filters clean. that sort of think. tire pressure. clean /waxed car. so on. city vs hwy will always be worse.

for example, my gfs last tank avg 9.7L/100km. before that, 8.8, then 8.6,8.2, and 7.7, and to as low as 7.2L/100KM on 25/09/12. once it gets cold and time to get to operating temp fuel econ goes up, up, up.

eSS
11-13-2012, 10:13 PM
If they had lied anyways they would have been in the same blunder that Hyundai is in right now with paying back buyers for false fuel consumption ratings. As booter said with the cold weather creeping up and still in the break in period your not going to yield results right out of the box. For right now averaging between 680kms and 750kms with 50/50 driving is perfectly fine with me

I've said it plenty of times before but skyactiv can be very sensitive to your driving style and will increase/decrease when you change it up.

sarujo
11-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Like Booter said, the car needs time to break in. Even my 2.0L MZR did not give me the best efficiency until over 20000km's. Switch out to synthetic oil and make sure your tires are properly inflated! Check the inflation spec on teh driver's door - it should be 35PSI for 16". If they are at 32PSI it's too low and you are losing out right there.

eSS
11-14-2012, 11:12 AM
With first full tank of 55 L I was able to drive only 482 km (combine) mostly in the city (20% highway drive). This is really frustrating. The main criteria for purchasing was the fuel economy and now I feel that I have been cheated. Even my 17 year old Toyota Corolla is still like the same fuel economy compared to this brand new Mazda3 sport 2012 Skyactive.

City driving will generally be lower than highway driving. Try changing your route to take highways and see if it improves. There are folks that have no problems getting well over 40MPG. My record so far is 765kms with mixed driving. On average I'm at about 700kms every 2 weeks or so (fill up twice a month)

Also how many kms on you skyactiv? Please read the recent posts where people say give the car time to break in. Plus with the cold weather rolling around it'll decrease mileage as well. Edward from the sounds of it youve lost hope in Skyactiv

beyond
11-14-2012, 11:36 AM
City driving will generally be lower than highway driving. Try changing your route to take highways and see if it improves. There are folks that have no problems getting well over 40MPG. My record so far is 765kms with mixed driving. On average I'm at about 700kms every 2 weeks or so (fill up twice a month)

Also how many kms on you skyactiv? Please read the recent posts where people say give the car time to break in. Plus with the cold weather rolling around it'll decrease mileage as well. Edward from the sounds of it youve lost hope in Skyactiv

That's awesome...700+ km's is awesome for sure!
I've only been able to get around 550 km or so, but with 90% city driving.

Guess the highway makes a big part of the stated fuel economy

eSS
11-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Note too bad for city driving. I see you have aftermarket wheel. Are they bigger? I'm sure those are playing a bit of a role as well. But for city 550 is pretty good

On a side note I've seen you a couple times in Markham when I had my old Tiburon. Then when I get the 3 I never see u anymore. Lol

walkabout
11-14-2012, 01:18 PM
I've been driving the car fairly gently. Tire pressures had dropped since the summer, by a few psi, so i've topped them up several tanks ago. I use good quality gas from major stations. I've done about 17,000km in 3 months. I think if it hasn't given me good fuel economy by now, it never will. Look how long it took for Kia and Hyundai to be found out. I think I deserve a nice debit card too LOL I feel like talking to the government about this, but no idea who to call. Anyone know? I'm comparing two other vehicles to the 3, in terms of mileage i've achieved vs manufacturers reported mileage. They are within reason. This 3 is not. I'll post it here again, Mazda states 4.9l/100km, i'm getting about 6.7l/100km, maybe 95% highway km's.

Booter22
11-14-2012, 03:02 PM
so far on my non sky last hwy trip up to napanee this weekend it got

Date----------------km--------------Litres-----------L/100km----------Price
14/11/12 --------651.9-------------40.07-------------6.1--------------1.248

should be
Highway 5.9

pretty close for having a cold air intake and speed exhaust. mind you thats going at speeds from 99-103 km/h the whole way, little bit of in town driving when i was there, stopped twice at the enroutes on my way back and to and from mississauga to mavis and back today. not bad for colder temps, and 67,000 km on the car. but in the summer i can average that.. lol if i wanted to. but driving the car into the higher rpms with that exhaust is too much fun. :D

beyond
11-14-2012, 04:47 PM
I am getting roughly about 376km on the first half tank. I remember because I took a snap shot when the seventh bar kicked in.

As I could remember, I stop fueling on the first click. I guess that is pretty good since my wife drives roughly 50/50.

should be
Highway 5.9

pretty close for having a cold air intake and speed exhaust. mind you thats going at speeds from 99-103 km/h the whole way, little bit of in town driving when i was there, stopped twice at the enroutes on my way back and to and from mississauga to mavis and back today. not bad for colder temps, and 67,000 km on the car. but in the summer i can average that.. lol if i wanted to. but driving the car into the higher rpms with that exhaust is too much fun. :D

This is pretty good for a non-sky too
esp w/ all your mods

beyond
11-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Note too bad for city driving. I see you have aftermarket wheel. Are they bigger? I'm sure those are playing a bit of a role as well. But for city 550 is pretty good

On a side note I've seen you a couple times in Markham when I had my old Tiburon. Then when I get the 3 I never see u anymore. Lol

Yeah the wheels at 17's lol.
Stick with 16's. The bigger size does nothing for fuel economy. It makes the car slower too lol. All it does is make it look cool.

I'll have to keep my eye out for you now too then lol

Booter22
11-14-2012, 05:58 PM
This is pretty good for a non-sky too
esp w/ all your mods

and on winter tires :(

Yeah the wheels at 17's lol.
Stick with 16's. The bigger size does nothing for fuel economy. It makes the car slower too lol. All it does is make it look cool.

I'll have to keep my eye out for you now too then lol

unless you can get your hands on 17" miata rims. those things weigh nothing. i have them for my summer wheels :D

eSS
11-14-2012, 09:58 PM
unless you can get your hands on 17" miata rims. those things weigh nothing. i have them for my summer wheels :D

Can I see pics of that? Don't think I've seen you're car before. Sounds interesting

Booter22
11-14-2012, 10:00 PM
I've been driving the car fairly gently. Tire pressures had dropped since the summer, by a few psi, so i've topped them up several tanks ago. I use good quality gas from major stations. I've done about 17,000km in 3 months. I think if it hasn't given me good fuel economy by now, it never will. Look how long it took for Kia and Hyundai to be found out. I think I deserve a nice debit card too LOL I feel like talking to the government about this, but no idea who to call. Anyone know? I'm comparing two other vehicles to the 3, in terms of mileage i've achieved vs manufacturers reported mileage. They are within reason. This 3 is not. I'll post it here again, Mazda states 4.9l/100km, i'm getting about 6.7l/100km, maybe 95% highway km's.

and it starts.. :bang walkabout. your new. tons of good info on the forum. for example.. the 4.9l/100km is what the car is rated to get. give or take. if you sit in 2-5 hours of traffic on your way to work regardless of it your on the hwy and moving slightly if your not doing 100km/h then your not going to get whats rated. also doesnt account for how long or if you do turn the vehicle on and let it idle to warm up for a few mintues or if you do lots of up hill by chance, if you have your defrost on which kicks the a/c on and that alone will kill the fuel economy huge. all of the things we do is not accounted for.

its only accounting for doing 100km/h all the time, no stop and go. no idle time. no warm up.just speed up and maintain. thats where everyones fuel economy goes wayyy down.

should be
Highway 5.9

pretty close for having a cold air intake and speed exhaust. mind you thats going at speeds from 99-103 km/h the whole way, little bit of in town driving when i was there, stopped twice at the enroutes on my way back and to and from mississauga to mavis and back today. not bad for colder temps, and 67,000 km on the car. but in the summer i can average that.. lol if i wanted to. but driving the car into the higher rpms with that exhaust is too much fun.

so apart from the warm up times when i was going into town. or when i let it warm up a few minutes before going home. i may have gotten better. mind you if it was stock i may have got it exactly. hard to say. but pretty close to what i should be getting and my car is modded with 67,000km +

give it time. dont worry about it now because its not going to get better. see how its running in the fall and log all fill ups on fuelly. sadly from a dealer side it is impossible to do anything when some one says. " my fuel economy is terriable" we dont drive with you day in day out. if you have a lead foot and gun it all the time. we dont know that. we just can check for the basics. maint history. tire pressure. air pressure. so on. if you dont track it. its almost impossible to do anything about it. so if your not happy do yourself a favor and log it. if you for should reason are still getting 6.7L/100km or more or less but not what it says you should. the dealer may put a box in your car to track how it operates and how it is operated. best time is the spring / mid summer. but also cant say you get bad fuel economy when driving around with the a/c on full. thats not good either :P

Booter22
11-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Can I see pics of that? Don't think I've seen you're car before. Sounds interesting

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?52045-Booter22-s-Car&highlight=

eSS
11-15-2012, 04:28 AM
Wow.. That looks good especially with the prokits drop. And theyre light you say? hmmm. Got me thinking now

walkabout
11-15-2012, 09:16 AM
I don't warm the car more than maybe 30seconds, just enough time for the idle to kick down to normal. And I don't often sit in rush hour traffic as I time my drives to avoid the bulk of that. The vast majority of my highway driving is with the cruise set at 110kph. The only hills i do are on the 401. I try not to rev it past 3000rpm. Getting within 0.2L/100km is fantastic! I would be jumping over the moon. So how is it that my minivan and my rental Forte can get very close to manufacturer rating, and i'm driving those harder than I do my 3? (honest ratings?) Cars should be able to get close to reported mileage even with accessories on, and within a short break in period. I suppose even headlights, wipers, stereo and cruise control will decrease my mileage on the 3? Then the car might be a bit too "delicate" for me :( I think in the US, the EPA is where you'd go for mileage issues, as soon as I find out the equivalent here in Canada, they'll be getting a call. I looked on the list of government agencies, there has to be over 200 of them!

mazda72
11-15-2012, 09:24 AM
you're getting 6.7/100km and you're complaining? thats pretty decent fuel economy. skyactiv is the real deal .

manufacturers post their numbers from tests performed on a dyno under perfect conditions ie, steady speed, perfect temp, no cross winds etc.

i think you should have done little more research before buying. you seem to having unreasonable and unrealistic expectations when it comes to fuel economy numbers.

Booter22
11-15-2012, 10:56 AM
and i dont know how fast your car warms up.. but my idle doesnt drop until after at least two or more minutes of driving, about the same time defrost starts to kick in. that said if you want to feel winter pain. i filled my car up yesterday. had 10km on it. drove it on the hwy today, lost the first bar at 33km. so.. it is what it is. but the hwy this morning was very stop and go and 60km/h so cant always win. but if your going to complain to anyone. like i said start at a dealer and then work up. dont start trying to call the top guys with out anyone inspecting your car to determine if there could be a problem as they will send you away until you have what you need to have. records. recepts. fill ups. possible log from a manufacture box. things like that.

just an FYI. not my first go around with fuel economy problems and questions so take my dealershiply advise and go that road. :.02 if you want a positive resolve and an easier and less painless experience.

walkabout
11-16-2012, 10:43 AM
It is hard for me to compare mileage with others, because most people don't do the high percentage of highway driving that I do. A difference of 1.8L/100km adds up a lot for me, I'm doing well over 60,000k a year. When I do my shopping in town now, I take my minivan, and I'll stop at an average of half a dozen places, which I know would decrease the mileage on any car. So, my Mazda is not subjected to the city stop and go traffic. Yes, I will start with the dealer, no problem doing that I'm due for an oil change anyway. My first oil change, the sales manager said between 6 and 7L/100km is what I should expect. I'm not accepting that given the driving I'm doing. Mazda Canada has my complaint on file, and I will deal with the service manager at the dealership when I go for my next oil change. 6.7L/100km might be average for small car highway mileage, I don't know. the skyactive is supposed to be super economical, much better than average. Booter22 got 6.1L/100km with his regular 3. I paid a premium for the skyactive, and I'm getting much worse mileage. A difference of 0.6L/100km doesn't sound like much, but it is over the long term :complain

Booter22
11-16-2012, 02:07 PM
of course i would be getting much better a this point my car vs your car. look at the km my car has over yours. services and so on. your car still have the packing / break in oil from factory so you might even notice a slight bump right after the oil change. that and i run castrol 0W20 in my car. change to a better quality trans fluid ( which the skyactive cant do and shouldnt need as it has special fluid already) and i would think at just hwy speeds the intake would help a bit with a better air flow. i have a bit bumped up winter tire pressure and so on. didnt just happen over night. but over 67,000km. ive managed to get it where im super happy and its a blast to drive. but see what the dealer says. check tire pressure. air filter. that the brakes are not sticking for any reason. ask them if they would check for a PCM or TCM update. may help if it needs it. never know.

sarujo
11-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Just let the car break-in, switch to synthetic fluids and realize that fall winter time is the worst time for mileage efficiencies - everyone's vehicle performs best during the warmest months of the year - think june, july, august. This is from cold engines and winter gasoline formulations and winter tires. I have been tracking my consumption weekly on Fuelly for over 2.5 years now and I can visually see how the mileage changes over the year.

Go and buy yourself a Scangauge II, calibrate it, and then you can watch your consumption in real time. Coming on here and ranting over and over accomplishes nothing. Just go and enjoy your car and give it some time!

It is hard for me to compare mileage with others, because most people don't do the high percentage of highway driving that I do. A difference of 1.8L/100km adds up a lot for me, I'm doing well over 60,000k a year. When I do my shopping in town now, I take my minivan, and I'll stop at an average of half a dozen places, which I know would decrease the mileage on any car. So, my Mazda is not subjected to the city stop and go traffic. Yes, I will start with the dealer, no problem doing that I'm due for an oil change anyway. My first oil change, the sales manager said between 6 and 7L/100km is what I should expect. I'm not accepting that given the driving I'm doing. Mazda Canada has my complaint on file, and I will deal with the service manager at the dealership when I go for my next oil change. 6.7L/100km might be average for small car highway mileage, I don't know. the skyactive is supposed to be super economical, much better than average. Booter22 got 6.1L/100km with his regular 3. I paid a premium for the skyactive, and I'm getting much worse mileage. A difference of 0.6L/100km doesn't sound like much, but it is over the long term :complain

eSS
11-16-2012, 08:40 PM
No oil change only at 4000kms so far. And yea 180 is the highest I've gotten with no over filling. Only hit it once before but I'm usually hitting 140-160

eSS
11-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Sedan auto. Drive like a granny when I can

eSS
11-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Bought the car in September so 2 months ago. So i dont think time had much to do with it. Weather was still daily decent at the time. Not sure of your driving habits but its highways at night for me from Pickering to Markham then heading home it's steeles road from Markham to Pickering

eSS
11-16-2012, 10:09 PM
If I go straight from work to home without going anywhere else for 2 weeks I got my highest average so far at 765kms. In that same 2 weeks if I go to work and make a couple other trips here and there I get around 680-710kms all on regular petro Canada gas

walkabout
11-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Ok, going in Monday to get 2nd oil change, I'm 2000km overdue :( Service manager says he'll drive the car for 100km, set the cruise to 100km, fill up before and after, see how many liters it takes. I'm thinking it'll have to be the exact same pump for both before and after fills? You all know how the pump clicks off when the tank is full but you can squeeze a bit more in there? I usually just finish after the first click off, but I'm thinking what if different pumps click off at different fill levels?

anyhoo, i did my own little experiments, probably totally inaccurate.
1st 100km, set cruise at 110kph, driving at night with headlights and stereo on, drove 98km with a top up of 5.4L. Now I'm thinking, this bleeping car is going to make a liar out of me LOL That is 5.5L/100km, plenty acceptable.

2nd 100km, drove on the highway like mad (not saying how fast) for 126km, had defrost, headlights and stereo on. Used 10.2L of gas which is 8.1L/100km. Wow, what a difference a little abuse makes!

3rd 100km, set cruise at 100kph, no headlights or other accessories. drove 97km and used 7.2L of gas. That's about 7.4L/100km. Doesn't make sense.

I know exactly what's going to happen, car's going to use about 5L of gas on Monday and I'll have to pay for the service manager's time....

Everyone keeps telling me about break in period. I've got 18000km on the car. That's about what most people drive in a year, I did that in 3.5 months. I'd say she's broke in ;)

sarujo
11-17-2012, 07:55 PM
You should be more worried about being 2000km overdue for the oil change! :P :chuckle

Remember..the skyactive engine is only better than the 2.0L MZR by 1.0L/100km, which is rated 5.9L/100km hwy.

eSS
11-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Whatever the stock tires that came with the car

Booter22
11-18-2012, 09:46 AM
yea 2000 km over due would be my concern and the first place to start. that said, you car will keep whats called " KAM" or keep alive memory. so as you drive it adjusts for fuel econ and performance. so the more you drive at 100km/h or 60km/h the car will self adjust for best fuel econ and most often when owners do alot of city and then go get on the high for the first time in a while they find it feels like the vehicle is " powerless" thats because the car is now adjusting the kam memory to make the vehicle run as efficent as possible.

as far as your fuel economy figures. did you input them each time into fuelly to have your #s calculated? that is the best reliable source for that if you have not / do not

walkabout
11-18-2012, 11:51 AM
So it's true that cars "learn" your driving habits? The first 100km trial i did, the car was sitting at they body shop for a week. don't think they drove it, but maybe the car "forgot" about me? :( I just joined Fuelly, but I don't see how it's going to help me, I can keep track of the km's per tankful in my head.

2000km overdue? it's synthetic oil, should be able to handle it. Heck, my Quest has seen almost 20,000km between oil changes a couple times. Service people actually started giving me crap :(

sarujo
11-18-2012, 11:59 AM
It has nothing to do with the synthetic being able to "handle it", b/c it can. It's about your warranty.

So it's true that cars "learn" your driving habits? The first 100km trial i did, the car was sitting at they body shop for a week. don't think they drove it, but maybe the car "forgot" about me? :( I just joined Fuelly, but I don't see how it's going to help me, I can keep track of the km's per tankful in my head.

2000km overdue? it's synthetic oil, should be able to handle it. Heck, my Quest has seen almost 20,000km between oil changes a couple times. Service people actually started giving me crap :(

sarujo
11-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Try Shell 87 Bronze instead.

If I go straight from work to home without going anywhere else for 2 weeks I got my highest average so far at 765kms. In that same 2 weeks if I go to work and make a couple other trips here and there I get around 680-710kms all on regular petro Canada gas

Booter22
11-18-2012, 12:56 PM
yea its really hard to complain things are out of sorts and not what they should be and your not getting what the manufacture says you should.. when you dont even do your job in keeping up with the maint schedule.