PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Variable Valve Timing System Emission Recall Campaign

awagawa
05-05-2012, 11:51 PM
So I found this letter today when I got home to TO (I go to school in London). It was sent in April 2012 apparently.

Has anyone else received this letter?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/550074_10100693705041911_58016102_59481512_2050701 311_n.jpg

zoomahh
05-05-2012, 11:53 PM
hmmmm not me yet....I also notice you have a Skyactiv too...gonna watch my mailbox over the next few days and let ya know. Meanwhile I"m gonna call the dealership and ask them about it.

Booter22
05-06-2012, 12:04 PM
this is something that the dealer should have done prior to the vehicle sale. this came out in january, i think it was the 21st, and for every skyactive sold they were told to inspect if the pcm update was available. some did have it and some did not. unless they have added more vehicles to the update since then, it takes about an hour. just call your servicing dealer and ask them to book you the appt for the recall.

shutterbug
05-06-2012, 12:10 PM
this is something that the dealer should have done prior to the vehicle sale. this came out in january, i think it was the 21st, and for every skyactive sold they were told to inspect if the pcm update was available. some did have it and some did not. unless they have added more vehicles to the update since then, it takes about an hour. just call your servicing dealer and ask them to book you the appt for the recall.

My dealership still doesn't have the software.....what determines whether you get the VVT actuator replaced or not?

TheMAN
05-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Replace the VVT actuator only if DTC P0012:00 is stored in the PCM memory and with reduced acceleration performance.

your dealer doesn't need to wait for a disc from mazda... their computer system can automatically download the newest ECU update from the internet!

Booter22
05-07-2012, 09:22 AM
My dealership still doesn't have the software.....what determines whether you get the VVT actuator replaced or not?

exactly what Theman said, it can be downloaded if they do not have the Disc, mind you they should by now..

Category
RC
Applicable Models
2012 MAZDA3
W/2.0L DIRECT
INJECTION
ENGINE
Subject
VARIABLE VALVE TIMING
SYSTEM EMISSION RECALL
CAMPAIGN 6511K
Bulletin No. 12-11
Issued Apr 17/12
Revised
CONDITION OF CONCERN
On certain 2012 Mazda3 vehicles equipped with 2.0L direct injection engines, inappropriate
programming of the powertrain control module (PCM) may cause a malfunction in the variable
valve timing (VVT) system, and a malfunction indicator light (MIL) may illuminate with DTC
P0012:00 stored in the PCM memory when starting a warm engine. It will be possible to start
the engine and drive the vehicle, but with reduced acceleration performance.
Dealers are instructed to reprogram the PCM as described in the attached repair procedure, to
prevent the above condition. If a subject vehicle is brought into dealer with malfunction indicator
light (MIL) illuminating with DTC P0012:00 stored in the PCM memory, and with reduced
acceleration performance, replace the variable valve timing (VVT) actuator (P/N PE01-12-4X0B)
with a new one before PCM reprogramming.

Ogata
05-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Does this only affect 2.0 and Skyactive?

zoomahh
05-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks Boot, gonna call em up tomorrow am for sure ;)

awagawa
05-07-2012, 10:55 PM
My local dealership wasn't even aware of the recall. I informed them of it and they're going to get it fixed this Wednesday. I'll see how things go.

TheMAN
05-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Does this only affect 2.0 and Skyactive?

only skyactiv
the 2.0 has no direct injection!

sp3GT
05-08-2012, 06:26 PM
My local dealership wasn't even aware of the recall. I informed them of it and they're going to get it fixed this Wednesday. I'll see how things go.

Got this in the mail today too. Doesn't sound too serious though

TheMAN
05-09-2012, 01:05 AM
safety wise? no... but great inconvenience? yes.... if you drive around with the old ECU flash, it has the potential of causing the VVT actuator to be permanently stuck... so it's done for once it's stuck and needs replacement... that means your car spending a day or more at the dealership

getting it taken cared of now while the "CEL" hasn't turned on is a better idea... a new ECU flash done in 30 minutes to an hour, tops... and you're on your way!

awagawa
05-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Went to the dealership this morning. The PCM update took them less than 30 min.

5_Alive
05-09-2012, 10:25 AM
There should be NO reason a dealership doesn't have a clue as to what is going on.
Like others have posted, this "recall" was issued back in January.
"shakes head"..

It isn't anything majorly serious, but the sooner the better.

sheepe
10-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Anyone know if this is coming for the newer skyactivs?

TheMAN
10-02-2012, 12:10 AM
issue has already been corrected at the assembly line after november 2, 2011

kcmazda
10-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Car would have gotten it done before car was sold for cars that were bought before November.

samanthastyle
11-16-2012, 01:06 PM
I just got the phone call from my dealership 10 minutes ago... I don't know much about cars so I thought i'd google it.

From what she told me, the recall just means it has potential of stalling when idling too long...

I'm going in for my 24,000 check up this saturday and getting that computer thing done too for the recall... Lets see how long it takes!! lol

Booter22
11-16-2012, 01:53 PM
I just got the phone call from my dealership 10 minutes ago... I don't know much about cars so I thought i'd google it.

From what she told me, the recall just means it has potential of stalling when idling too long...

I'm going in for my 24,000 check up this saturday and getting that computer thing done too for the recall... Lets see how long it takes!! lol

the recall this is for and what they called you about is a software update.. and it says in the bulletin that the vehicle is effected after 30+ minutes of idle time.. which i hope no one on the forum does..

samanthastyle
11-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Makes sense.

I did notice a bit of lagging "chugging" on the highway (stopped traffic) the other day when I was breaking. It was almost like a jerking feeling - not sure if this has anything to do the recall though?

the recall this is for and what they called you about is a software update.. and it says in the bulletin that the vehicle is effected after 30+ minutes of idle time.. which i hope no one on the forum does..

ob1legrow
03-08-2013, 02:09 PM
I just called my dealership and my 2012 GS sky qualified for the update. They asked me how I know about it, I said the Mazda3 form. Thanks guys!