PDA

View Full Version : Need help for a set of rims & tires :)

Simon99
09-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Hi guys, first of all, just wanted to congratulate you on that amazing forum, I've found so much information for the purchase of my Mazda 3 Sport GT (first car :D), including known problems and rust issues :)

I now want to buy black rims ( :D ) for my white car and I need help :S. I'm currently running 215 40ZR17 but I want to purchase a new set of tires and rims. The car is lowered using Eibach Sportline and Koni Yellow and what I want is a deep dish black rim with a bit of the rim sticking out of the tire, on 17 inch. Is that possible and do you have a recommendation for a black rim matching these specs ? I'd also like lower profile tires :) Thanks alot in advance !

leecheefoto
09-26-2012, 01:01 AM
17x8/8.5/9
ummm mesh? You can get Ikons that look like this
http://is01.thegumtree.com/image/big/151696305.jpg

or

DAI Candy

http://www.pneu337.ca/imagesProduits/imagesMag/MW242.jpg

Message a sponsor in the forums, they can help you out on your selections and budget.

Zuluwun
09-26-2012, 01:04 AM
If you stick with a 17" rim, you can't get a lower profile tire since it'll change the overall diameter of the wheel.

zzz3
09-26-2012, 01:38 AM
17x7.5 or 8 with 205/40/17 and a low offset would yield you the results you desire.

GWN
09-26-2012, 10:55 AM
first of all, congrats on the car and nice colour choice :chuckle
couple questions for ya... a) how wide do you want the wheels to be? to have "deep" dishes you may need to be running up to 9" wide wheels with an offset in the +30s
b) how low do you want to go? personally, i think running stretch (where the wheel sticks out from the tire) looks off when there's too much wheel gap

you'l also need to consider if you're willing to roll/pull fenders, get camber arms, plates, etc

as for a wheel recommendation, maybe XXR 522?
http://nextmod.com/webstore/images/detailed/mainimg_521fb_s.jpg

Simon99
09-29-2012, 10:35 AM
first of all, congrats on the car and nice colour choice :chuckle
couple questions for ya... a) how wide do you want the wheels to be? to have "deep" dishes you may need to be running up to 9" wide wheels with an offset in the +30s
b) how low do you want to go? personally, i think running stretch (where the wheel sticks out from the tire) looks off when there's too much wheel gap

you'l also need to consider if you're willing to roll/pull fenders, get camber arms, plates, etc

as for a wheel recommendation, maybe XXR 522?
http://nextmod.com/webstore/images/detailed/mainimg_521fb_s.jpg

Wow, these rims are amazing ! I already lowered my car 2'' using eibach sportline and koni yellow. If I stick with 17 inch, do you think they'll rub ?

Impressive
09-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Wow, these rims are amazing ! I already lowered my car 2'' using eibach sportline and koni yellow. If I stick with 17 inch, do you think they'll rub ?

Whether or not you rub all depends on the width of the tire, rim & the offset of the rim you plan to go with. With 215/40 profile tires you should be ok with rims up to about 8" wide but if you decide to go wider you'll require other modifications in order to execute your desired fitment.

Considering that you're lowered on sportlines you may want to invest in a camber kit if you don't already have one - that way your new tires won't wear unevenly and end up being garage after your first season on them.

Simon99
09-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Whether or not you rub all depends on the width of the tire, rim & the offset of the rim you plan to go with. With 215/40 profile tires you should be ok with rims up to about 8" wide but if you decide to go wider you'll require other modifications in order to execute your desired fitment.

Considering that you're lowered on sportlines you may want to invest in a camber kit if you don't already have one - that way your new tires won't wear unevenly and end up being garage after your first season on them.
And where can I get these camber kit you talk about ? On ebay ? And are they easy to install ?

Kiyomi
09-29-2012, 11:03 PM
If you stick with a 17" rim, you can't get a lower profile tire since it'll change the overall diameter of the wheel.

and who said it cant be done? :D

xxrs' get my vote. listen to the wheel guru 'GWN'.