PDA

View Full Version : Mazdaspeed3 Crash at CTMP(Mosport)

DWMmotorsport
10-12-2012, 05:27 PM
On the Mazdaspeed3's development season we were moving in the right direction. We started the year with basically a stock car then started to modify it to get it up to race speed. We were already planning the "to do list" before this last race. Now we just added a whole lot more to the list.
The video shows you how quickly things can go wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CygdjldERJI&feature=player_detailpage

S.F.W.
10-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Damn..any pictures or video of the damage ?

MPS
10-12-2012, 05:50 PM
that's a love tap next time use hood pins like the rest of the race guys do
and maybe look for a better driver

DWMmotorsport
10-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Had top of the line flush mount hood pins. One pulled right out of the rad support. The other one broke in half.
You could be right about the driver!
I will post pitures of the aftermath next week,when we back at the shop.

MPS
10-12-2012, 09:49 PM
you should look up Sean Heydorn for your new driver
also an ex customer of Dave Wood

2012speed3
10-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Mosport can be a tricky track! Hope the car isn't too bad!

Seshan
10-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Kinda off topic, But does this mean that Dave Wood Mazda is a Mod friendly shop? :P That's where I'll probably be taking my 3, and it'll be good to know for any future mods I do. :P

CelestSpeed3
10-13-2012, 12:50 AM
I guess thats what happens when hood pins are secured to plastic.

Any word on when the car will be back up and running?

CelestSpeed3
10-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Hey Kevin what speeds are you hitting before you have to brake for turn 8?

I'm just curious since we can't go over 100 on the street, its neat to know how fast the speed3 really is.

MPS
10-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Kinda off topic, But does this mean that Dave Wood Mazda is a Mod friendly shop? :P That's where I'll probably be taking my 3, and it'll be good to know for any future mods I do. :P

not rly

cwp_sedan
10-13-2012, 12:31 PM
That turn is always tricky at Mosport. Too bad about the crash.

Kiyomi
10-13-2012, 05:58 PM

edit: last i heard, Dave Woods Mazda doesnt like nor sponsor tm3 anymore.

Booter22
10-13-2012, 06:40 PM
last i heard, budds mazda doesnt like nor sponsor tm3 anymore.

Dave Woods Mazda in Newmarket isnt Budds Mazda in Oakville. Budds mazda still likes TM3, and Andrew and i still suppout as best we can on the forum and the members who still services with us. but our "dealership" is no longer a sponsor.. sadly. :( but yes we are Mod Friendly.

S.F.W.
10-13-2012, 07:24 PM
edit: last i heard, Dave Woods Mazda doesnt like nor sponsor tm3 anymore.
DWM has never been a TM3 affiliate/Sponsor

CelestSpeed3
10-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Thread back to racecar . . .

How fast on the back straight?

DWMmotorsport
10-14-2012, 04:42 PM
About 130mph into brake zone. 5th gear almost on the rev limiter. Down shift into 4th btw 8 and 9.

You should come up and can look at the AIM logger data. Could use you help with the Cobb Data.

Yes,I know Sean great guy.

Yes dealer is Mod friendly. We have a hoist designed for lower cars. The problem lately is we have a lot more cases where we have to have headoffice approval for warranty repairs- a lot more than when I was a sevice manager.

Fobio
10-14-2012, 06:20 PM
You should come up and can look at the AIM logger data. Could use you help with the Cobb Data.

Just say when. =)

DaveIrwin24
10-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Torque steers a factor in this accident hahaha

Fobio
10-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Torque steers a factor in this accident hahaha

Erm....no...

Big Dad
10-15-2012, 04:06 PM
I have been in a similar very scary situation with my Speed3. I was coming off the back straight at Mosport at between 160 km/hr and 180 km/hr and I was not aware that I had a rad hose come off and was dumping coolant all over both my front and back driver (left) side tires. I assumed that it was just my low budget worn out tires and was sadly mistaken when the rear of the car came around all the way to the steering lock! I left it at the steering lock and held the gas to the floor for what felt like an eternity!! :'-( By keeping the gas on, despite the natural urge to hit the brakes, I was able to not upset the car any further with counter steering and body roll, and was able to pull the car out of the slide and recover control. Here it is on video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvGg_twWovQ

TheMAN
10-16-2012, 05:09 PM
it looks to me the driver didn't give enough gas while countersteering that oversteer... over corrected and ran into the wall
but hey, in the heat of the moment, all things you "know" about can quickly get forgotten when panic mode kicks in

it's easy for us armchair racers to say, but it's hard to do stuff properly when you're at the track :)

Big Dad
10-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Here is a clip of a Gt3 Porsche in the same situation ironically, hours before my slide on the same day and the same spot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHiXgC13QME

Fubawu
10-18-2012, 12:06 PM
It is always turn two, tough to see what went wrong. My guess is went in a little too quick chasing the two in front. Easy to do
turn two always gets my attention. It seems to gooble up someone every time I am there!

As for top speed on the back straight I have maxed out at 205 in near stock form

CelestSpeed3
10-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Kevin, your only going 5kph faster at the back straight then a stock car, something seems up.

The Mspeed crew can come look over your setup when the repairs are done.

I'm curious as to what is holding the car back.