PDA

View Full Version : Key Fob for a '07 Mazda 3 GT

killerbichon
10-28-2012, 01:55 AM
I just took delivery of a beautiful '07 GT Sport. Sadly, for now, I only have one key. Dealer says he will contact the guy who traded in the car for me and try to get me the other key. If not, he said, that when other trade ins come in sometimes there are 3 key fobs and he can get one and reprogram it. I'm looking for a key fob that will work asap. Does anyone have any advice or perhaps a spare fob they want to sell. Mazda wants $250 for a chipped key ...total ripoff imho.

S.F.W.
10-28-2012, 10:13 AM
The key and fob is only around $100. The problem you face is with only one key, you can not program the second key/fob yourself. The dealer must program it for you. Thus $250 is likely the best you can do.
Even if someone on TM3 gives/sells you a fob, you still have to get it programmed at the dealer. Once you have two programmed keys/fobs, you should immediately buy a third, which you can program yourself. This way, if you ever lose one of the two primaries, you will not be out $250 again.

BigAirGar
10-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Just got my 08 GT as well with only 1 key and fob. Local dealer = $300. Brutal !

Noisy Crow
10-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Was a Mazda dealer you bought the car from? If so you might be able to persuade them to give you a break on the programming, as normally a car does come with two keys.......

killerbichon
10-28-2012, 11:34 PM
I got the car from Mazda of Brampton on Saturday. I was stunned and shocked and pissed off when only one key was produced. The salesman assures me that the other key is out there and gettable. The guy is out of the country at the moment....blah blah. To be fair the salesguy seems cool and honest, so I will find out. You would have thought they would have told me this when the deal was being done. Nothing more I would like than to report a great experience with the dealer.

The car itself is amazing. Never had the rain sensing wipers or heated seats before,,,,very nice indeed.

I'm unsure how the key / fob works... can the key just be a cut like any other key and attached to the fob... there must be more to it than that... google time!

cwp_sedan
10-28-2012, 11:39 PM
I got the car from Mazda of Brampton on Saturday. I was stunned and shocked and pissed off when only one key was produced. The salesman assures me that the other key is out there and gettable. The guy is out of the country at the moment....blah blah. To be fair the salesguy seems cool and honest, so I will find out. You would have thought they would have told me this when the deal was being done. Nothing more I would like than to report a great experience with the dealer.

The car itself is amazing. Never had the rain sensing wipers or heated seats before,,,,very nice indeed.

I'm unsure how the key / fob works... can the key just be a cut like any other key and attached to the fob... there must be more to it than that... google time!

Like mentioned above you MUST have 2 keys to be able to program them or a third yourself. There is not way around it since you have to reprogram all keys at the same time.

You only need 1 key fob to program a second one though so if you can get another fob you are golden.

Maybe they will give you a break on it if you push that all cars are supposed to come with 2 keys/fobs.

tmpz
10-28-2012, 11:41 PM
No, it has to reprogrammed by dealer (you can do it yourself with 2 sets of key fobs). The dealer better do it for free, they should have given you 2 sets of keys.

cwp_sedan
10-28-2012, 11:46 PM
No, it has to reprogrammed by dealer (you can do it yourself with 2 sets of key fobs). The dealer better do it for free, they should have given you 2 sets of keys.

This isn't incorrect but see the following for specifics/clarity.

1 key - dealer programmed
2 keys - owner programmed

0 fob - dealer programmed
1 fob - owner programmed

I think a total of 3 keys and 3 fobs can be programmed to the car at a time.

rukus
10-30-2012, 07:52 PM
where does it say that the dealer HAS to provide both keys?

when i bought my car (burlington mazda) i had them include 2nd key reprogram (if only one was included) right on the paperwork before i signed it.

killerbichon
12-08-2012, 02:38 AM
So anyway I just wanted to let you all know what happened. 3 days ago I bought a new key for $43 and programming was $105 but i got a 20% discount. So all is wonderful I have the peace of mind now for a buck forty no bid deal (but I still feel ripped off). Anyway so like I say all was well till I used one of the keys (the original) to lock the car manually via the lock on the door. I was surprised i turned the key the lights blinked and it locked...it the door chipped too...Im like wow!!!

Anyway now I'm driving and the door lock is locking at random 3 times 4 times in a row click click click.... damn computers... so this monday ill have to go in and have them reprogram the thing ....this time taking into cosideration the manual door lock...

Ill let you know what happens next