PDA

View Full Version : Slim Battery Tray: What 51R battery to get?

pwdunmore
11-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Hey guys,
Just waiting on the HTP GB order but I want to get some solid information about the 51R batteries. They kick out enough CCA to get our MS3's started in the winter and save us a crap load of room beside the TIP so it doesn't hit the stock battery box (for guys running bigger intakes+TIP).

Figured this might be handy for any guys also getting their hands on the slim tray.

So there are two types from what I looked up so far on the amazing internet but we all know the woes of internet information...
The "Starter" batteries pump out 500CCA and are made from different materials then the "Deep Cycle" batteries which produce 450CCA.

The yellow top optima seems to be very popular as the Deep Cycle option. AutoCraft Gold being the starter battery I was looking at.

"A starter battery is designed to provide a very large amount of current for a short period of time. This surge of current is needed to turn the engine over during starting. Once the engine starts, the alternator provides all the power that the car needs, so a car battery may go through its entire life without ever being drained more than 20 percent of its total capacity. Used in this way, a car battery can last a number of years. To achieve a large amount of current, a car battery uses thin plates in order to increase its surface area.

A deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time. A deep cycle battery can provide a surge when needed, but nothing like the surge a car battery can. A deep cycle battery is also designed to be deeply discharged over and over again (something that would ruin a car battery very quickly). To accomplish this, a deep cycle battery uses thicker plates."

Any input would be great, the car is my daily driver so it's not going to be sitting for more than a day at a time unless I go on vaction lol.

What one should I choose?!?!? Anyone with first hand experiences with the different types of batteries?

CelestSpeed3
11-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Just get a battery from Canadian Tire. Warranty is really easy to deal with if you drain it dead.

pwdunmore
11-09-2012, 01:51 PM
True, I was going to go for the Starter battery just to keep the CCA as high as possible. The coldest my car gets is when I am at work all day and it's out at the back of the parking lot. I steal the garage from my parentals when I get home since I have the newest car and I leave last in the morning :P

Thanks celest :)Hope your beast it running well!