PDA

View Full Version : suspension question...

thenightvision88
11-22-2012, 05:20 AM
I bought my car not to long ago (08 3 GT) and my struts are done... every time I hit a big bump the car goes nuts and bounces around...

First question... Will I void my warranty if I was to change my struts for a quick strut from lets say Monroe by myself? or does it have to be from a dealer or mechanic? it would just save me time and money seeing as I'm a student...

Second question... on the drivers side I hear a popping sound when I hit a bump but the strut on this side isn't as bad as the other side... could it just be the strut? or a ball joint? or maybe a result from my accident they overlooked? :(

I should mention I only have 59XXX kms on my car and I bought the extended warranty. (Good until march 2015) At the time I bought it had 55XXX kms on it.

Sorry if if this has been asked before

Impressive
11-22-2012, 06:54 AM
The popping noise is most likely your strut mount being broken...very common on these cars.

Aitch
11-22-2012, 07:26 AM
It has been answered in various forms. Changing the struts will only void the warrantee on the struts, i.e. they will now only be covered by wherever you buy them from, not Mazda. They could be *******s and then not cover problems in related areas (like wheel bearings) but a) a decent dealership won't do this to you and b) replacing with stock-like struts isn't going to cause extra problems anyway.

thenightvision88
11-22-2012, 02:17 PM
is it common for these struts to go at 60k kms?

Aitch
11-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Not unheard of if it was driven hard. Plus it is over 4 years old.

wmzda5
12-25-2012, 05:32 PM
I know that suspension and other wear items are not covered by warranty after the first year. Ajax Mazda replaced my left rear shocks even before 6 months of ownership.

Aitch
12-25-2012, 08:23 PM
ZOMBIE THREAD BUMP

Hyperion
12-25-2012, 08:31 PM
ZOMBIE THREAD BUMP

Acknowledging it doesn't help :p

TheMAN
12-26-2012, 02:57 AM
I know that suspension and other wear items are not covered by warranty after the first year. Ajax Mazda replaced my left rear shocks even before 6 months of ownership.

you know wrong
suspension parts are covered under the bumper to bumper warranty and extended warranty (in most cases)
despite any deductibles on using the extended warranty, it'll still be cheaper overall to get the strut replaced by the dealer due to parts and labour costs

brake pads, wiper blades, light bulbs, brake rotors/drums, and tires are pretty much the only wear and tear items not covered under bumper to bumper warranty, though there are always exceptions under extraordinary circumstances... ones that proves without a reasonable doubt that the part failed due to defect, not wear

wmzda5
12-27-2012, 10:06 AM
That's what the dealer told me. Anyways I guess I was hoping for that as an excuse to lower my car. I did have to change the rear shocks after the extended warranty. I installed sensatracs at the back last year. The fronts are still OK.

thenightvision88
01-03-2013, 02:36 AM
you know wrong
suspension parts are covered under the bumper to bumper warranty and extended warranty (in most cases)
despite any deductibles on using the extended warranty, it'll still be cheaper overall to get the strut replaced by the dealer due to parts and labour costs

brake pads, wiper blades, light bulbs, brake rotors/drums, and tires are pretty much the only wear and tear items not covered under bumper to bumper warranty, though there are always exceptions under extraordinary circumstances... ones that proves without a reasonable doubt that the part failed due to defect, not wear

It is covered? i was going to get the quick stuts from monroe but if its covered then ill go that way. partsource wanted 520 bucks for them.

would you happen to know how much it would cost to get them changed at the dealer?

thenightvision88
01-03-2013, 05:43 AM
Also for the noise when I hit a bump... I Can't figure out where it is coming from. I do know its coming from the front on the drivers side.

I've tried to move the tires (not a lot of play).

I've tried moving the sway bar and that little bar that connects to the strut (Stiff and no movement).

I don't feel any movement. Other then change the Strut itself I'm not sure where to go from here.

I have pictures if you need to look at it.

wmzda5
01-03-2013, 03:32 PM
If you still have warranty and they cover the suspension you dont have to pay a cent.

tmpz
01-03-2013, 04:07 PM
I got my rear struts replaced under warranty @~35K but under 3 year warranty.

I'm not sure if it's covered after 3 years.

Stretch
01-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Also for the noise when I hit a bump... I Can't figure out where it is coming from. I do know its coming from the front on the drivers side.

I've tried to move the tires (not a lot of play).

I've tried moving the sway bar and that little bar that connects to the strut (Stiff and no movement).

I don't feel any movement. Other then change the Strut itself I'm not sure where to go from here.

I have pictures if you need to look at it.

Not exactly sure what the noise sounds like, but your description sounds almost verbatim what I wrote in a very similar thread in the speed section regarding my car. I checked all the suspension parts just like you, thinking it was sway bar bushings or suspension bearings. It turns out the strut is blown and i could not see as the dust cover blocked the oily mess from being seen.
Does it sound like a wobbly? Like a dinner plate wobbling? Mine does when I go over any bumps.
eric