PDA

View Full Version : Warranty after minor accident?

mazda33
11-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Hi all,

I got into a minor accident with my car. I drove over a curb :(

The mud guards have been replaced at my cost however there is still some damage on the bumpers that I will fix next year since it's not extensive.

However, I was wondering what happens to my warranty. Let's say something else goes wrong...would the dealer refuse to fix it under warranty because it's pretty obvious by the scratches on the bumpers and under the car that I was in an accident?

This is my first car and I don't know exactly how warranties work. I have MAP.

S.F.W.
11-30-2012, 10:40 AM
If the part in question did not fail as a result of the accident, the dealer will still fix it under warranty. As an example, if your radio stops working, it would still be covered under warranty. Your engine was not likely damaged as a result of going over a curb, and would still be covered.

McGuyver_3
11-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Depends of your complaint, what part comes in question and what they see on that part.

mazda33
11-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys, well the complaint is that there is creaking in the car at >80km/h speeds and also, metallic clunk sound when executing a sharp turn (into a driveway for example).

Thing is, I paid out of pocket for the first fix up and they said that what they fixed was the only damage. I didn't have creaking before or after the accident. It started after they fixed the car.

I was hoping there was some standard policy on this..like...if we fix a car and give it a clean bill of health, then we can't later turn around and say that your subsequent problems are because of that first accident (even though we gave a clean bill of health).

mazda33
11-30-2012, 11:04 AM
But I might just be jumping to conclusions here, my dealership is really nice and the people who work there have come across as helpful and professional. SO, hopefully they won't turn their backs on me for this.

Booter22
11-30-2012, 12:14 PM
shouldnt have any effect, if it is something in question let them know and it may go back to the insurance company if not repaired correctly.

mazda33
11-30-2012, 01:59 PM
shouldnt have any effect, if it is something in question let them know and it may go back to the insurance company if not repaired correctly.

Thanks, although I am trying to get this solved without involving insurance company lol. I mean, I am technically at fault for running over the curb :p I dont want to know what sort of negative ramifications can come if the insurance company finds out.

Booter22
11-30-2012, 02:32 PM
well now thats a different ball of wax. if its obvious to a dealer that you have hit something and either its been replaced by someone or yourself and its no OEM parts installed by a dealer then yes that could decline that part / area ( say rear right suspension) warranty coverage. if you dont tell the dealer and they find out you would be declined that part coverage as well from the damage.

if it has been repaired by the dealer with oem parts then that part would have warranty and so would the vehilce. if there is something else now noticed and its not due to the accident you should be covered. if it is. you may not be. all depends on what it is.

peterm15
11-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Did you have the dealer repair it?

That's what I got out of one of your posts.

mazda33
11-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Did you have the dealer repair it?

That's what I got out of one of your posts.

Yep that's correct. The dealer identified and repaired one problem, which was the splash guards.

AM I to understand that as long as it was the dealer who performed the repairs, my warranty is good to go?