PDA

View Full Version : diagnose this noise/sound

steve220s
12-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Hey everyone!

About a week ago I noticed a new sound my car was making. Anyways, I've looked at other threads but I still can't figure out if it's the tensioner bearing, intake valve clatter, normal(?), etc. It's an 08.5 gt with 193,000 km. I've included a video which was taken with the car warm. It seems a little worse when cold. Sorry for the crappy quality. Any and all help is appreciated!

http://www.filedropper.com/dec030001

steve220s
12-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Here's the embedded video. This should make it easier to view.

http://vimeo.com/54831382

steve220s
12-05-2012, 07:11 AM
anyone?

silverstarmazda
12-05-2012, 10:22 AM
could be pulley, could be valves, could be even engine mounts

(yes that rhymes)

6strings
12-05-2012, 06:25 PM
to be honest, it doesn't sound all that bad but take it to a shop. your car has high km on it for a year. so maybe needs maintenance.

Reymando
12-05-2012, 07:51 PM
anyone?

Your bearings needs changing or lube. Take the top pulley off and take a look at it had the same issues with my own.

steve220s
12-05-2012, 10:21 PM
I'll swap out the tensioner pulley and see if that helps. I wonder whether I should do the belts too while doing the tensioner pulley...

Tollis
12-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Likely Tensioner if you don't know when the belts have been changed go ahead and change them they aren't expensive. Doesn't sound to bad. Its higher mileage it will start to make some weird sounds.

steve220s
12-10-2012, 10:27 AM
So I changed the tensioner pulley during my lunch break last Friday. It's still making a sound. I stopped at a mazda dealership this morning for a second opinion. He says it's the tensioner pulley assembly... The part costs 230 + labour. Could the assembly itself really be making this rattling sound?

Flagrum_3
12-10-2012, 12:03 PM
So I changed the tensioner pulley during my lunch break last Friday. It's still making a sound. I stopped at a mazda dealership this morning for a second opinion. He says it's the tensioner pulley assembly... The part costs 230 + labour. Could the assembly itself really be making this rattling sound?

Sounds like the pully bearing for the air-cond compressor, others had the same issue recently on here plus a buddy at work same thing just last week. Pull the compressor belt off and see if it stops, then you'll know for sure.

_3

McGuyver_3
12-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Sorry to sound like an ass but just take it to a shop and have them diagnose it. Because asking us and the dealer for opinions (which is ok) is a good start but firing all kinds of parts at a car just because is could be this could be that could end up costing you a lot more. The tensioner pulleys do go bad on the 3 as I have had 2 replaced already but that doesn't mean anything. Different car different scenario

Flagrum_3
12-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Sorry to sound like an ass but just take it to a shop and have them diagnose it. Because asking us and the dealer for opinions (which is ok) is a good start but firing all kinds of parts at a car just because is could be this could be that could end up costing you a lot more. The tensioner pulleys do go bad on the 3 as I have had 2 replaced already but that doesn't mean anything. Different car different scenario

Problem is Dan, usually when the tensioner goes, it'll give you a screeching sound or a floppy belt, nothing like what we hear or see here. Anyways your second point is noted; throwing parts at it will not do shite, thats why I suggested the OP just remove the one air-comp belt to see if the noise stops...it costs nothing. As I mentioned above a workmate had the exact same sound and it was very reminiscent of the noise MazdaBetty had with her car recently, exactly the same noise. I told my workmate the same, check the AC compressor and low and behold it was the AC bearing. Anyways if he removes the belt and nothing changes then atleast it narrows it down to what is the actual problem.

_3

steve220s
12-12-2012, 07:15 AM
appreciate the help Flagrum!

McGuyver_3
12-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Problem is Dan, usually when the tensioner goes, it'll give you a screeching sound or a floppy belt, nothing like what we hear or see here. Anyways your second point is noted; throwing parts at it will not do shite, thats why I suggested the OP just remove the one air-comp belt to see if the noise stops...it costs nothing. As I mentioned above a workmate had the exact same sound and it was very reminiscent of the noise MazdaBetty had with her car recently, exactly the same noise. I told my workmate the same, check the AC compressor and low and behold it was the AC bearing. Anyways if he removes the belt and nothing changes then atleast it narrows it down to what is the actual problem.

_3

I know where you are comming from but On the 3 the ac is part of the main belt. You take that off and nothing will work lol. Unless you take the belt off and spin each by hand as that could work. Just don't know if you would only hear it at a certain speed.

steve220s
12-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Hi McGuyver, the AC belt is actually separate from the other belt which makes it possible to run without it (it's the only item that belt runs).

McGuyver_3
12-12-2012, 10:29 AM
My speed has 1. I don't remember my 05 having 2 but I stand corrected

McGuyver_3
12-12-2012, 11:53 AM
So the 2.5 and the speeds only have 1 belt. Sorry I based my info on my cars that I knew for sure on

Flagrum_3
12-12-2012, 12:12 PM
So the 2.5 and the speeds only have 1 belt. Sorry I based my info on my cars that I knew for sure on

Honest mistake, so the 2.5s and new Speeds have only one belt? I hope it's a uber belt, because alot of damage could be caused if that 'one' belt lets go during high speed driving. Hope they resolved the tensioner issue also. Guess one needs to be more vigilant, and check your belt (and tensioner) more often.

_3

Flagrum_3
12-29-2012, 12:48 PM
appreciate the help Flagrum!

Any update on this? Nice to know!

_3

steve220s
01-02-2013, 04:35 PM
So the water pump was the culprit. However the sound it was making before the replacement had become somewhat different than the sound I posted. Not sure the video I posted could help other people having a water pump issue.

McGuyver_3
01-02-2013, 07:42 PM
So the water pump was the culprit. However the sound it was making before the replacement had become somewhat different than the sound I posted. Not sure the video I posted could help other people having a water pump issue.

It's not uncommon for the water pumps to seperate seen it quite a bit at work (higher mileage cars) but they generally do not make noise they simply cause overheating issues. Lucky you caught it on the way out then after it quit