PDA

View Full Version : Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

eSS
12-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Just something for new and current owners thinking about the skyactiv. With a lot of threads of people arguing over the mileage, just thought id show it is possible to get close to 1000kms. Keep in mind this was almost all highway and got over 980kms. Shot right here in Toronto to Quebec

Sorry not sure how to embed from the iPhone

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iwtfQY9W-b8

loosecannon
12-22-2012, 01:01 PM
You can wrap the link with the [VIDEO] tag next time, and it'll embed. ;)

eSS
12-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the tip, sir

sarujo
12-23-2012, 12:01 AM
I watched the video and wasn't overly impressed. For starters, the guy was driving at 92-95km/hr down the highway - below the speed limit! Of course he was trying to get revs down as low as possible - under 2k!

At the end of the video the guys says he filled up with 56L of fuel and went about 980km's. Toss those numbers into Fuelly and you get 5.7L/100km. Hardly impressive, considering my 2.0L MZR from 2010 with 5MT is rated at 5.9L/100km hwy and I know I can easily do better in the summer on all highway trips.

Honestly, I don't understand what the fascination is in getting 1000km/tank. It should all boil down to L/100km or L/km of consumption. The rest is irrelevant.

dambay
12-23-2012, 01:25 AM
How could he have put 56L in? Its only a 55 L tank

loosecannon
12-23-2012, 01:36 AM

I know! What is this sorcery?

eSS
12-23-2012, 01:48 AM

Never understood that bit either

But with mazda claiming it can reach 1000kms it's nice to see some real world proof even though he drove in conditions that probably none of us drive in on the regular ie) no traffic, steady speed under 100 and looked like some decent weather

The Wolf
12-23-2012, 01:55 AM
Hardly impressive, considering my 2.0L MZR from 2010 with 5MT is rated at 5.9L/100km hwy and I know I can easily do better in the summer on all highway trips.

Lie.

Aitch
12-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Toss those numbers into Fuelly and you get 5.7L/100km. Hardly impressive, considering my 2.0L MZR from 2010 with 5MT is rated at 5.9L/100km hwy and I know I can easily do better in the summer on all highway trips.

Just because....

Yours is rated at 5.9, what makes you think you can achieve better than the stated fuel mileage when the Skyactiv is rated 4.9 on the highway and he achieved 5.7? (Unless you mean you've documented getting better than 5.9).

sarujo
12-23-2012, 02:15 PM
I have documented my consumption since day one - I know the MZR can meet and exceed it's rating. I am not suggesting it will get 4.9, but mid to upper 5's more realistic if you get the conditions right.

This documented video should have been done in the summer time, and when the motor had more than 3500km's on it. I'm sure the Sky's down in Florida and California are a much better example. Constant warm temps - no winter gas, and more minimal ethanol blends, if at all.

Note: Synthetic fluids (oil and trans), clean air filter, gentle throttle via smooth highway, speeds at 100 or less and tires at proper inflation are all necessary components

SkyG
12-25-2012, 11:57 PM
anyhow im happy to see and impressed by the skyactiv in this video :P

Nova 3 GT
01-01-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm still impressive about the Skyactiv-G 2.0L in a Mazda3. It has about the same HP as my old 2.3L and yet gets good mileage as the MZR 2.0L

Kessly Snipes
01-03-2013, 04:23 PM

I put 58 in mine. Bone dry+fill the neck I guess. Or the pump was off.

dambay
01-03-2013, 04:27 PM

....HE'S A WITCH!!!!!!!!

D Fresh
01-11-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm so disappointed.
I came here thinking this was going to be a day long trip of awesome.
Was greeted with a video.

$lickology
05-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Its encouraging to see such good fuel economy numbers in the sky 3, Mazda gives its customers what they really want in fuel economy and sportiness.

Flunk
05-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Its not really unrealistic to get 1000km out of a tank in the Skyactive. It just takes unusual circumstances.

For the record the best I've ever gotten is 6.4L/100km in my 2010 2.0L MZR-powered car. The was a trip that was mostly cruising along country roads at 90 without stopping.

3zilla
05-29-2013, 12:44 AM
really tracked my old mpg closely ... going to be interesting to see what my new sky can do after the break-in in comparison

proDJtege
05-29-2013, 08:32 AM
Skyactive-D will do even better!... it better!

Ps3alltheway
07-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Man to have that you have to drive like a 80 year old guy and never step on the gas, **** that. I don't care about my car's consumption, I drive my car I don't baby it.

Agila
07-04-2013, 09:04 PM
My highest km I got is around 600km Ottawa to Montreal all Highway, with 3/4 fuel tank to empty.

frankie7
08-06-2013, 06:13 PM
ive done trips going 115kmph+ and get 750km on the tank. thats on a 4speed 2.0l !

zoomahh
08-07-2013, 07:03 AM

Hey Kessly, Hey dambay,
Pump was not off. And yes one can put more than 55L in the tank. I do it all the time.

The tank is rated @ 55L because its a manufacturer's determination of the capacity of the tank. And if you notice when you fill up, the trigger will click off once it reaches capacity (air pressure inside tank causes pump to shut off to prevent backflow). But once that limit is reached, one can put more in it. Trust me man, I've done it many many times before. In fact, I do it each time I fill up, but I only go 8$ more past that limit going forward. Most people have said it's not recommended for a number of reasons which I can't recall, but it's no big deal. I like to push the limits of things.

I'm a detail kinda guy (no, not like hamza7), when it comes to life and being prepared. So last year when I bought my new Skyactiv3, I ran the tank down to where the last bar on the fuel gauge disappeared. I then recorded the mileage and kept going till it was virtually empty ....and I mean fart fumes empty :O . Since I drive primarily in town, I wasn't' worried about getting to a gas station, but I kept a jerry can with about 5 L of gas just in case ;) . Once I was satisfied I ran it low enough, I got to a gas station and filled up till the pump shut off. It stopped when it got to bout 58.6 isshhh ....I kept putting in gas....slowly..... to see just how much I could put in (I like to test the limits of things)....I got a grand total of 64.4 L of fuel into that tank :O Damn that musta been empty ! ! I then recorded the mileage again and determined that I can go another 86 km with no problem until my car says to me "Hey A$$hole, get me to a gas station NOW or I'm gonna leave your a$$ on the road" !

What's the point of doing what I just did you ask? Well, before you say "this guys a f*^&ing idiot, consider this; How often have you ever been busy with s*^t in your life, and now you have to get somewhere fast or you'll be late, only to get into your car to find out your on empty ! ! ! Well, WHEN that happens (notice I cap the word WHEN), you will know immediately how far you will be able to drive without running out of gas. It's all about limits man.

All the speed3 guys add cobb access ports, SRI's, headers, etc etc, to their rides to fine tune their motors to see how fast they can go. And that's awesome as I love the speed3's and what they can do...very impressive for a 4 banger :) . But most skyactiv3 guys, me being one of them, want to "push" their rides to see how efficient fuel wise, these cars really are. I made a post about a recent trip I made to Toronto a few weeks back and posted some phenomenal results. But I was just about "burned at the proverbial internet stake" and flamed big time for whatev reason, guys said stuff like "my math skills SUCKED", and something else like "just shoot me if I ever drive that slow". Obviously saving money on gas, or keeping their insurance rates low don't seem to bother these guys ( I pay under a 1g per year for mine... how much do YOU pay?). But if anyone is interested (skyactiv3 guys), I can send you these stats. I recorded it on my iphone app "Roadtrip Lite" so the stats don't lie. The thread was locked because it was in the wrong section and I should have added it to another thread like this one. After I got my stats I calculated that at 95-98 km/hr, ac on, cruise on, coffee in hand, Maui Jim sunglasses on :cool , the app calculated a 5.23 L/100 km...I can get about 1100 km to a tank.. and BETTER if I go 90 km on cruise, it logged 4.93 L / 100 km

Someone also said earlier, something like "ya but that's going 90 km without stopping" or something like that. In answer to that, a standard has to be set in order to give someone something to compare to. It may not be YOUR driving style, but again, it's something to compare to...you want a fuel consumption stat that's more "YOUR" style? Go on a long haul (TO to MTL or Ottawa), put on the ac, TROMP on the gas to pass trucks n stuff, do 120, 130 km fill up at end of trip...and see how your results compare to the manufactures. I can guarantee it won't even be close to theirs... Oh and don't forget to add in the cost of your speeding tickets too in with your stats ok? :P

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, that's my opinion and 2 cents.... :P

Wisecraker
08-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Hey Kessly, Hey dambay,
Pump was not off. And yes one can put more than 55L in the tank. I do it all the time.

The tank is rated @ 55L because its a manufacturer's determination of the capacity of the tank. And if you notice when you fill up, the trigger will click off once it reaches capacity (air pressure inside tank causes pump to shut off to prevent backflow). But once that limit is reached, one can put more in it. Trust me man, I've done it many many times before. In fact, I do it each time I fill up, but I only go 8$ more past that limit going forward. Most people have said it's not recommended for a number of reasons which I can't recall, but it's no big deal. I like to push the limits of things.

I'm a detail kinda guy (no, not like hamza7), when it comes to life and being prepared. So last year when I bought my new Skyactiv3, I ran the tank down to where the last bar on the fuel gauge disappeared. I then recorded the mileage and kept going till it was virtually empty ....and I mean fart fumes empty :O . Since I drive primarily in town, I wasn't' worried about getting to a gas station, but I kept a jerry can with about 5 L of gas just in case ;) . Once I was satisfied I ran it low enough, I got to a gas station and filled up till the pump shut off. It stopped when it got to bout 58.6 isshhh ....I kept putting in gas....slowly..... to see just how much I could put in (I like to test the limits of things)....I got a grand total of 64.4 L of fuel into that tank :O Damn that musta been empty ! ! I then recorded the mileage again and determined that I can go another 86 km with no problem until my car says to me "Hey A$$hole, get me to a gas station NOW or I'm gonna leave your a$$ on the road" !

What's the point of doing what I just did you ask? Well, before you say "this guys a f*^&ing idiot, consider this; How often have you ever been busy with s*^t in your life, and now you have to get somewhere fast or you'll be late, only to get into your car to find out your on empty ! ! ! Well, WHEN that happens (notice I cap the word WHEN), you will know immediately how far you will be able to drive without running out of gas. It's all about limits man.

All the speed3 guys add cobb access ports, SRI's, headers, etc etc, to their rides to fine tune their motors to see how fast they can go. And that's awesome as I love the speed3's and what they can do...very impressive for a 4 banger :) . But most skyactiv3 guys, me being one of them, want to "push" their rides to see how efficient fuel wise, these cars really are. I made a post about a recent trip I made to Toronto a few weeks back and posted some phenomenal results. But I was just about "burned at the proverbial internet stake" and flamed big time for whatev reason, guys said stuff like "my math skills SUCKED", and something else like "just shoot me if I ever drive that slow". Obviously saving money on gas, or keeping their insurance rates low don't seem to bother these guys ( I pay under a 1g per year for mine... how much do YOU pay?). But if anyone is interested (skyactiv3 guys), I can send you these stats. I recorded it on my iphone app "Roadtrip Lite" so the stats don't lie. The thread was locked because it was in the wrong section and I should have added it to another thread like this one. After I got my stats I calculated that at 95-98 km/hr, ac on, cruise on, coffee in hand, Maui Jim sunglasses on :cool , the app calculated a 5.23 L/100 km...I can get about 1100 km to a tank.. and BETTER if I go 90 km on cruise, it logged 4.93 L / 100 km

Someone also said earlier, something like "ya but that's going 90 km without stopping" or something like that. In answer to that, a standard has to be set in order to give someone something to compare to. It may not be YOUR driving style, but again, it's something to compare to...you want a fuel consumption stat that's more "YOUR" style? Go on a long haul (TO to MTL or Ottawa), put on the ac, TROMP on the gas to pass trucks n stuff, do 120, 130 km fill up at end of trip...and see how your results compare to the manufactures. I can guarantee it won't even be close to theirs... Oh and don't forget to add in the cost of your speeding tickets too in with your stats ok? :P

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, that's my opinion and 2 cents.... :P

You said it brother. I participated in the Ontario Shuttle challenge. This is a program in which they give you a data logger and you plug it directly into your car. It then takes a two week baseline log of your regular driving and tells you how much gas, money, and GHG's you use. It then gives you a 10 minute course on how you can save money driving.
You then drive another two weeks with a goal to beat your baseline stats by 10%. At the end of it all you get a 25 dollar gas card for participating and a 25 dollar gas card for beating your 10% target. Let me say I saved about 70 dollars in two weeks by following their tips and tricks. That's almost $2000 a year!
The main tips were drive as close to or under 100 on the highway. Every km over 100 you drive is roughly 1% more gas your using. 10 seconds of idle is roughly equal to the amount of gas you need to start your car. There re many more tips. But the fact remains. If you want to hard start, hard stop, gun it on the highway or drive crazy, then you'd better be ready to pay for it. Think about what you could so with around 2000, the vacations, the car mods, the house payments.....or you can be cool and drive hard, always. It's your choice but I will be making my decision from Hawaii.

Cab0oze
08-07-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm so disappointed.
I came here thinking this was going to be a day long trip of awesome.
Was greeted with a video.
Organize a roadtrip to montreal and come visit your M3Q brothers!

zoomahh
08-07-2013, 09:54 PM
@ wisecracker; that sounded like a great challenge. Too bad they don't do stuff like that around Ottawa. Oh and I forgot to mention that doing 90 kms per hour straight back, I was able to get it down to 4.6 - 4.7 L per 100 km. I mean.. That's unbelievable man !!! Do you realize that's approx. 1330 km to a freaking tank baby !!! For a mid size car ta boot WOOT W O O T. And the nice thing is if there's a day I wanna frat myself to a "spirited" drive to work one day, my car can do that too :D so I have a car that does the best of both worlds.
Thanks for the props Wisecraker and congrats on doin the challenge. Stay in touch on pm and shoot me some stats once in a while too ok? ;)

greyseason
08-08-2013, 12:21 PM
I love you sky guys, such a friendly bunch. @CabOoze I want to go to Montreal after the H4H meet..

Wisecraker
08-08-2013, 01:53 PM
@ wisecracker; that sounded like a great challenge. Too bad they don't do stuff like that around Ottawa. Oh and I forgot to mention that doing 90 kms per hour straight back, I was able to get it down to 4.6 - 4.7 L per 100 km. I mean.. That's unbelievable man !!! Do you realize that's approx. 1330 km to a freaking tank baby !!! For a mid size car ta boot WOOT W O O T. And the nice thing is if there's a day I wanna frat myself to a "spirited" drive to work one day, my car can do that too :D so I have a car that does the best of both worlds.
Thanks for the props Wisecraker and congrats on doin the challenge. Stay in touch on pm and shoot me some stats once in a while too ok? ;)

Will do, I'm still enjoying my new car so my driving is smart someways and much more fun others lol. When I do some serious fuel efficiency tests I will let you know. Also I don't have a Sky-active I have a 2.0I GX with no sky-active so we can compare.

SkyG
08-09-2013, 11:01 AM
I will be driving from Montreal to Toronto next Sunday. :D

Hoping to bump into some of you tm3 members on the road haha

The last roadtrip I did was going to Quebec city and I was averaging 5.3L/100km going at 119km/h

Wisecraker
08-09-2013, 12:02 PM

The last roadtrip I did was going to Quebec city and I was averaging 5.3L/100km going at 119km/h

Good luck! And post your fuel usage if you can'

zoomahh
08-14-2013, 07:08 AM
Will do, I'm still enjoying my new car so my driving is smart someways and much more fun others lol. When I do some serious fuel efficiency tests I will let you know. Also I don't have a Sky-active I have a 2.0I GX with no sky-active so we can compare.
Sounds like a plan man...Since both motors are 2.0 L, the comparisons should be interesting...say...you thinkin of trading up bro ? ? :P

zoomahh
08-14-2013, 07:10 AM
I love you sky guys, such a friendly bunch. @CabOoze I want to go to Montreal after the H4H meet..

yup......we are :)

zoomahh
08-14-2013, 07:17 AM

Hey SkyG, when you do your next trip, take these factors into account and write it down;
- luggage if any
- how many passengers
- road conditions
- cruise control yes/no
- speed travelled
- use of a/c yes/no
- fuel type; reg, mid-grade, super, and where (shell, esso, etc)
- % of city, highway (this can play a factor in fuel consumption)

When I did a TO trip a few weeks ago, on way back, I set cruise at 90 km all the way back to Ottawa, and I got about 4.6 L/100 km ! ! ! I said av because I didn't fill up upon return and ended up doing about 200 km of city/highway...so my "roadtrip" app logged 4.95/100km for my stat...but I gotta say that's pretty good for a 2012 Skyactiv huh.
any other ?'s, shoot me a pm ;)

greyseason
08-14-2013, 07:25 AM
- luggage if any
- how many passengers
- road conditions
- cruise control yes/no
- speed travelled
- use of a/c yes/no
- fuel type; reg, mid-grade, super, and where (shell, esso, etc)
- % of city, highway (this can play a factor in fuel consumption
This is how all members should record fuel mileage. Would give us the best look at how to keep fuel consumption down

SkyG
08-15-2013, 11:22 AM
I'll be sure to include these factors on Sunday

I got my ultra-gauge so I am not doing the calculation maually

Although I know there's a difference between travelling at 100km/h and 120km/h but we are going to Toronto with 4 cars and I know one of them drivers like to drive pretty fast so we'll be most likely to cruise at 120km/h most of the time just like the Quebec trip we did a few weeks ago.

However I know our sky did much better than his gs as we were pulling into the gas station on our way back, I still had half tank left while he had only 1/4 left on his tank.

greyseason
08-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Let me know how you like your ultraguage! Also track your fuel economy on fuelly.com. It's a quick 2secomd thing that Will record your mileage (I just saved the website as an icon in my iPhone) when you put it in. I use my UG as a reference and fuelly as truth

zoomahh
08-15-2013, 12:38 PM
What's an "ultra gauge"? Is it an app?

greyseason
08-15-2013, 01:02 PM

Its a OBDII device that, well plugs into your car and gives you a digital reading. I bought mine because i hated not knowing my engine temp. ive scanned my car, and buddies car to check for codes, which it did so in my opinion its paid for itself.

Heres the website

Ultraguage (http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/)

and a pic of what it looks like (not my picture)
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/attachments/ecu-tuning-information/33570d1285299613-ultra-gauge-civic-ug-002.jpg

greyseason
08-15-2013, 01:06 PM

Its a OBDII device that, well plugs into your car and gives you a digital reading. I bought mine because i hated not knowing my engine temp. ive scanned my car, and buddies car to check for codes, which it did so in my opinion its paid for itself.

Heres the website

Ultraguage (http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/)

and a pic of what it looks like (not my picture)
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/attachments/ecu-tuning-information/33570d1285299613-ultra-gauge-civic-ug-002.jpg

SkyG
08-15-2013, 09:05 PM
I do like it and it works really good.

I've calibrated it and since we have MAF sensor, it's fairly accurate for calculating the mileage.

Of course having the extra gauges is always nice.

greyseason
08-15-2013, 09:19 PM
How do you use the maf sensor for mileage? I always like learning different ways to use it

SkyG
08-15-2013, 09:32 PM
hmm i think UG sense the sensor automatically, but you can manually choose it in the "ultragauge setup" > "version" > "MPG sensor" then choose MAF

greyseason
08-16-2013, 08:01 AM
hmm i think UG sense the sensor automatically, but you can manually choose it in the "ultragauge setup" > "version" > "MPG sensor" then choose MAF
thanks buddy, ill try that after work

greyseason
08-16-2013, 08:02 AM
thanks buddy, ill try that after work

zoomahh
08-19-2013, 06:14 AM
That sounds cool :thumbsup
Gonna go to the website and read up on it ;) Thanks man !!

edit; HOly crap, I just checked out the site, and that's amazing ! ! I like the large screen and the fact that you can customize what you want to see at any given time. Couple ?'s Gonna save THIS one for a Christmas present :D
- Where do you plug it in?
- Is it hard to install?
- Does it come from the states?
- Is the fuel consumption app accurate do you find?

I'm BOOKmarking this mofo :P

greyseason
08-19-2013, 11:23 AM
That sounds cool :thumbsup
Gonna go to the website and read up on it ;) Thanks man !!

edit; HOly crap, I just checked out the site, and that's amazing ! ! I like the large screen and the fact that you can customize what you want to see at any given time. Couple ?'s Gonna save THIS one for a Christmas present :D
- Where do you plug it in?
- Is it hard to install?
- Does it come from the states?
- Is the fuel consumption app accurate do you find?

I'm BOOKmarking this mofo :P

1) It just plugs into your OBDII port near your left kneecap
2) Literally takes 5 seconds
3) Made in china i believe, but is an american owned company whatever that means haha
4) Meh, i use fuelly to track my fuel mileage/consumption but what i find it does best and what i use it for, is a guide to driving better. Since i can watch my instantanious MPG, i can see just how much fuel i use when 'on it' and how lightly taking your foot off can keep you going the same speed, with technically less fuel being used. I like it but i find you need to figure out a way to not constantly watch it :chuckle

SkyG
08-26-2013, 09:00 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/zusavl.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2d6qrep.jpg

Here's the result of the trip, made it to Toronto with one tank.

We were 4 adults in the car with the trunk fully loaded.

SkyG
08-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Oh forgot to mention some infos

- luggage full trunk
- 4 passengers
- cruise control yes
- speed travelled: 119km/h
- use of a/c yes
- fuel type; reg / petro canada

mikhar
08-28-2013, 11:39 PM
So true Wisecracker, I have a 2004 mazda 3 and get 630km per tank (a 50L) and I thought that was great but now Im in the market to get a new car. I was looking at the Dodge Dart and the Chevy Cruze both good on gas but then I heard from my dealer about the Skyactive and I really think that this will be my next car due to the fact I always wanted a car that could do 1000km or better on a full tank with regular gas not diesel. I like saving money for other stuff rather then putting it into my tank! PM me anytime anyone with great STATS on fuel saving tips or STATS. Cheers!

You said it brother. I participated in the Ontario Shuttle challenge. This is a program in which they give you a data logger and you plug it directly into your car. It then takes a two week baseline log of your regular driving and tells you how much gas, money, and GHG's you use. It then gives you a 10 minute course on how you can save money driving.
You then drive another two weeks with a goal to beat your baseline stats by 10%. At the end of it all you get a 25 dollar gas card for participating and a 25 dollar gas card for beating your 10% target. Let me say I saved about 70 dollars in two weeks by following their tips and tricks. That's almost $2000 a year!
The main tips were drive as close to or under 100 on the highway. Every km over 100 you drive is roughly 1% more gas your using. 10 seconds of idle is roughly equal to the amount of gas you need to start your car. There re many more tips. But the fact remains. If you want to hard start, hard stop, gun it on the highway or drive crazy, then you'd better be ready to pay for it. Think about what you could so with around 2000, the vacations, the car mods, the house payments.....or you can be cool and drive hard, always. It's your choice but I will be making my decision from Hawaii.

Tahna Los
09-06-2013, 04:50 PM

There is at least a 10 liter overflow capacity in these tanks. I can fill it almost to 65 L in a tank if I really want to fill it.

Tahna Los
09-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Oh yeah, those Ultragauges are cool. Where I can I find one for my car?

greyseason
09-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Oh yeah, those Ultragauges are cool. Where I can I find one for my car?

the only way you can buy them new is to order them online