PDA

View Full Version : "M" mode

ssolidd
02-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Hi guys I have a noobie question I have a m3-08 GT which is an auto but sometimes I would like to have fun so I switch to "M" mode all the time. My question is was it normal to downshift like from 4th gear to 3rd gear while running on 60km and not pressing the gas? It feels like I use a brake when downshifting(not stepping on gas) even when its not was it ok?

ssolidd
02-22-2013, 10:29 AM
ok my follow up question is was it ok to downshift while slowing down but im not pressing the gas or brake, I use it all the time especially on traffic light or turning on curb then press hard on 1st gear again.

Pereira11
02-22-2013, 11:01 AM
No need to press either pedal while shifting...

Tozer
02-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Like ^ no need to brake or gas. Half the time I 'downshift' almost to a stop without either pedal

mathew.poulos
02-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Like ^ no need to brake or gas. Half the time I 'downshift' almost to a stop without either pedal

your creating more working for the transmission and will ultimately shorten its life.

loosecannon
02-22-2013, 11:55 AM
your creating more working for the transmission and will ultimately shorten its life.

I also believe that your transmission oil will get dark sooner with all that added stress.

Tozer
02-22-2013, 11:58 AM

The car is being driven into the ground anyway.. I just need an excuse to buy another one
so i guess the consensus is ignore me :)

loosecannon
02-22-2013, 12:02 PM
The car is being driven into the ground anyway.. I just need an excuse to buy another one
so i guess the consensus is ignore me :)

LOL I like the way you think

mathew.poulos
02-22-2013, 12:26 PM
I just need an excuse to buy another one

Time for a speed

ssolidd
02-22-2013, 12:33 PM
I also believe that your transmission oil will get dark sooner with all that added stress.

I know that when you slow down the car automatically downshift itself but sometimes(on red light or curbs) its too slow to react or only downshift to 3rd gear I want to speed up as fast as I could and rev to 1st gear and press on gas hard. :bang

JayJay18
02-22-2013, 01:24 PM
I wouldnt downshift very often unless your passing or turning a corner.
I wouldnt downshift into 1st anways your just asking for trouble.
Use common sense, dont downshift when your at 4000RPM

XTOTHEL
02-22-2013, 03:08 PM
I think on an auto, it won't let you downshift unless it's safe anyways.

Tozer
02-22-2013, 03:13 PM

the only time it restricts is 2nd to first if you're rpms are too high
but just keep slapping it and it'll go ;)

Pokaroo Kris
02-22-2013, 03:28 PM

With logic like that, makes me wonder how you would drive a real stick :chuckle

trulankan
02-22-2013, 03:35 PM

+1 lol i dont see why you would want to downshift to first anyway unless ur coming to a stop...i feel bad for your engine but if u got money to burn then w/e

loosecannon
02-22-2013, 03:56 PM

Yes. There's many times where I wasn't paying attention to which gear I'm in and then trying to downshift fails.

ssolidd
02-22-2013, 05:39 PM
so whats the highest rpm I could go that wont damage or wear my auto engine?

leecheefoto
02-22-2013, 05:43 PM
OVER 9000!!!!

You should really be shifting at 3k-4k

6k if you want to waste gas and make your fluids black faster

Pokaroo Kris
02-22-2013, 05:59 PM
OVER 9000!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXjzqLPEaQw

ssolidd
02-22-2013, 06:18 PM
OVER 9000!!!!

You should really be shifting at 3k-4k

6k if you want to waste gas and make your fluids black faster

Thanks I think 3k-4k is good enough I really take a look at the rpm and the speed everytime... and lol I think if over 9k my engine would explode

Tozer
02-22-2013, 06:53 PM

Oh it's day and night how I drive my auto 3 and when I drive friends' stick cars (probably because its a 350z and an sti) but that's beside the point. Back on topic!

geobur
02-22-2013, 10:44 PM
+1 lol i dont see why you would want to downshift to first anyway unless ur coming to a stop...i feel bad for your engine but if u got money to burn then w/e

one word..."drifting" :p

you're welcome :p

ssolidd
02-22-2013, 10:47 PM
one word..."drifting" :p

you're welcome :p

haha that is exactly what I want to do sometimes but I worry about my engine putting too much stress and I dont think can be done on "M" mode right?

geobur
02-22-2013, 10:55 PM
haha that is exactly what I want to do sometimes but I worry about my engine putting too much stress and I dont think can be done on "M" mode right?

not in our car...I have tried...and not to mention it is front wheel drive...but I did it in my old Chevy Optra, because it's manual mode allowed you to choose which gear you put it in...I would throw the back end into corners it was fun...I miss that car.

Zuluwun
02-24-2013, 11:11 PM

I have actually seen a video of someone doing that on an autocross run. Seemed to work out fine for him :P

ssolidd
02-25-2013, 02:25 AM
I have actually seen a video of someone doing that on an autocross run. Seemed to work out fine for him :P

any video of that?

also guys heres another noobie question what about using nuetral while slowing down (no stepping on brakes either) coming from any gear (1st - 4th) was it bad?

CH0SiiN1
02-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Drive it like its stolen.. just kidding, use the "m" mode like you would with a real manual tranny, downshift while breaking at proper rpm's.. No need from 2nd to 1st as its a harsh jump unless your in 2nd @ 1500rpm.
Don't use the shifter as breaks.. use the brake pedal as breaks.. make sense?
Yes you can drop a gear down say on the highway to pass, or get up to speed.. just like when your car is in "auto" mode and you floor it to gain speed, it drops itself down a gear or two and revs high, so it can't hurt if you do it more smoothly in "m" mode. Its really just common sense.

any video of that?

also guys heres another noobie question what about using nuetral while slowing down (no stepping on brakes either) coming from any gear (1st - 4th) was it bad?

Why? there is no need for this.. No offense, drive in "auto" mode for the sake of your tranny.
I guess since your not using any pedals it can't hurt, but what if you forget your in "N" while accelerating from a green and you put in gear lets say @ 3000rpm? your gonna kill your tranny and all it will take is a simple mistake like that, so why bother?

mathew.poulos
02-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Why would you want to be in nuetral? Just coast in Auto mode :loco

Pokaroo Kris
02-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Why would you want to be in nuetral? Just coast in Auto mode :loco

+1. Slowing down in gear will help use less gas than a neutral coast. And minus the :loco

ssolidd
02-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks guys for the reply now I have less worry using the trip tronic shift... I can say its pretty cool.

Wow that video really made my day! I notice how fast he downshift the gear a couple of times!!! it kinda feels weird looking at it but im now really convinced that drifting is really possible. I was wondering how many rpm's was he doing also was it ok if I post the video here?

Zuluwun
02-28-2013, 01:22 AM
Wow that video really made my day! I notice how fast he downshift the gear a couple of times!!! it kinda feels weird looking at it but im now really convinced that drifting is really possible. I was wondering how many rpm's was he doing also was it ok if I post the video here?

er.. don't forget to read the rest of that message too lol.

"drifting" in the technical definition, is not possible with our cars. you can rip the ebrake and slide but it's not "drifting"

the rpm is basically whatever the car allows, that's why you gotta keep tapping the shifter, asking for that downshift.

and the video's not mine, it's in the public domain so you can do whatever you want with it.

Rob23
02-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks guys for the reply now I have less worry using the trip tronic shift... I can say its pretty cool.

yes you can power slide if you take a turn hard and tap the brake a little or ebrake it, but you are not drifting lol.
If you go to the track and go pretty hard you would be surprised how easy you can brake the back end out.

standsideways
02-28-2013, 04:34 PM
yes you can power slide if you take a turn hard and tap the brake a little or ebrake it, but you are not drifting lol.
If you go to the track and go pretty hard you would be surprised how easy you can brake the back end out.

its not called powersliding either, it is called throttle lift oversteer or lift off oversteer.

powerslide is : off throttle induced oversteer, opposite lock, back on throttle, powerslide. same thing as drift with no handbrake. same thing as a scandi flick but no flick.

if we get back on the throttle when sideways, we dont continue to "powerslide"

and lift off oversteer is fun for 2 laps on track then it becomes stupid and you just want the back to stay put.

Rob23
02-28-2013, 04:39 PM
its not called powersliding either, it is called throttle lift oversteer or lift off oversteer.

powerslide is : off throttle induced oversteer, opposite lock, back on throttle, powerslide. same thing as drift with no handbrake. same thing as a scandi flick but no flick.

if we get back on the throttle when sideways, we dont continue to "powerslide"

and lift off oversteer is fun for 2 laps on track then it becomes stupid and you just want the back to stay put.

Thanks for the clarification.

Yea I never "lift off oversteer" for fun anyways, I was just saying its surprising how easy it is to do in the Mazda3.