PDA

View Full Version : Smacked Street Ruts - Grinding when Driving

04mazda3
04-03-2013, 09:21 PM
A little background, I'm not familiar with these cars (I'm a VW guy) but my girlfriend is having an issue with hers.

2004 Mazda 3 (2.3L)

We're suffering from some major rutting in the city I live in with all the snow this year, ruts are 12-18 inches deep. Anyways, the car slipped off the ridge the other day and fell into the ruts, of course banged something.

So when in drive, there's a grind. I crawled under and don't see anything physically damaged or bent so I was initially leaning towards CV Axle on the passenger side as thats where the noise appears to be coming from.

I did some Googling and I see a common issue - with grinding as a symptom - is the passenger side motor mount. I went out and had a look, I can feel underneath the mount and it feels solid, the rubber on top is torn though. I tossed a jack underneath the oil pan just to see if there was any engine play but it seems firm. I don't think this is the issue since I also jacked the front end in the air and put the car in drive, the grind was occurring while there was no load on the suspension.

Anyways, like I said. I'm not familiar with these cars at all, this was the first time I've ever gone under the hood of it.

Is there supposed to be fluid in the top of the mount (where mine is torn) or is it pretty cut and dry that we can write that off as being the cause and start looking at something else.

Cheers.

leecheefoto
04-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Was the grinding occurred when you're stepping on the gas or idle or when the gears are changing?

The Wolf
04-03-2013, 09:52 PM
18 inch deep ruts? Ruts in the pavement or did the car just hit snow?

04mazda3
04-03-2013, 10:05 PM
I guess that information would help.

If I sit in the car and idle and rev, there is no grind.

If I put it in Neutral and rev, there is no grind.

We went for a drive down the block and the faster you go, it just tends to growl louder.

So seems rotational, but yeah the fact the motor mount came up in so many of my searches and hers is torn on the top I figured I would ask.

And yes, 12-18 inch snow ruts, pure ice basically.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/04/yta2era8.jpg

04mazda3
04-03-2013, 10:09 PM
At idle, if I rev - nothing.
At a stop, in neutral, if I rev - nothing.

As we accelerate, the growl is relational to speed. Louder the faster she goes.

I figure its something rotational but when all my searches showed motor mounts I had to go look and hers being torn on the top, thought I'd check.

And yeah, snow ruts. Mainly ice. 7 feet of snow this winter.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/04/a8edesaq.jpg

gabbygenier
04-04-2013, 11:24 AM
If the motor mount is torn at the top, it will need to be replaced. the fluid is all gone at that point. but that shouldnt matter for grinding.

i would check the brake guards on the wheels. ive read a few times where there is a grinding noise while driving only and it turns out one of them was bent and is touching the brake disk.

sarujo
04-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Your PMM needs replacing. The fluid has come out because as you said it was cut open. Get a replacement from one of the affiliate dealerships.

A little background, I'm not familiar with these cars (I'm a VW guy) but my girlfriend is having an issue with hers.

2004 Mazda 3 (2.3L)

We're suffering from some major rutting in the city I live in with all the snow this year, ruts are 12-18 inches deep. Anyways, the car slipped off the ridge the other day and fell into the ruts, of course banged something.

So when in drive, there's a grind. I crawled under and don't see anything physically damaged or bent so I was initially leaning towards CV Axle on the passenger side as thats where the noise appears to be coming from.

I did some Googling and I see a common issue - with grinding as a symptom - is the passenger side motor mount. I went out and had a look, I can feel underneath the mount and it feels solid, the rubber on top is torn though. I tossed a jack underneath the oil pan just to see if there was any engine play but it seems firm. I don't think this is the issue since I also jacked the front end in the air and put the car in drive, the grind was occurring while there was no load on the suspension.

Anyways, like I said. I'm not familiar with these cars at all, this was the first time I've ever gone under the hood of it.

Is there supposed to be fluid in the top of the mount (where mine is torn) or is it pretty cut and dry that we can write that off as being the cause and start looking at something else.

Cheers.

04mazda3
04-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Alright well I will put a PMM on the list of things to do, her A/C compressor is getting quite growly when it spins up every minute. All stuff for summer, if it ever shows up.

Anyways, I had some time today so I pulled the two front tires off and did some closer listening, there are no brake guards / dust shields and everything looked clear of rubbing.

It doesn't make the noise when I put the car into reverse, only when in drive.

I took a couple videos, the noise didn't translate well into video but my next guess would be the wheel bearing. Not sure how it "wore out" from getting banged up in the ruts though, I suppose the spline of the axle might have jarred it.

Here's a video of the noise: View My Video (http://tinypic.com/r/2eowlm9/6)

And while I was at it, I noticed the front drivers side wheel doesn't spin very well (turns fine when accelerator pedal is depressed) when in drive. Here's another video with the car in D and nobody touching the pedal. Do you think it's related to the grinding issue or simply a case of a sticky caliper holding some friction on the rotor? - View My Video (http://tinypic.com/r/wvcxns/6)

Thanks again for any thoughts.