PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel turns when braking!

Nooby31
05-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Hi, for the last couple weeks I have noticed about 90% of the time I brake at slow to moderate speeds the steering wheel tends to turn by itself to the right and once or twice to the left when take my hands off the wheel.

The turn of the wheel is sometimes only about 1-2 degrees but a few times has been almost 5-15 degrees to the right mainly.

I did some research and the one thing that kept coming up was air in the brake lines. I went to 2 different shops to see that they have to say about it.

1- the first shop I described the problem to they instantly said my control arms are broken without even looking at the car or jacking it up.
2- second shop glanced at the car and said something about sticky calipers.

Each time I tried to bring up the air in the brake line theory it was immediately dismissed so I don't know...

I did get new tires and rims about a month ago which are 225/40/18 vs. stock size 255/50/16 I believe. Could it be the extra size and load of the tires that are related to the problem?

thanks for any input!

Edit: the car is a 2010 mazda 3 2.0 L with about 90k on it.

omalak
05-08-2013, 01:50 PM
i'm not certain as I don't know much mechanically, but becasue you did change the wheels/tires

few things to check would be

1. Alignment
2. Wheel Balancing
3. Correct PSI in tires
4. Possible warpped rotors?

Nooby31
05-08-2013, 04:09 PM
i'm not certain as I don't know much mechanically, but becasue you did change the wheels/tires

few things to check would be

1. Alignment
2. Wheel Balancing
3. Correct PSI in tires
4. Possible warpped rotors?

the alignment I intend to do but I was told to wait after this steering problem is fixed because apparently an alignment is pointless unless the issue is fixed. I will look into the warped rotors, is it something I can inspect just by looking at the rotors or do I have to remove the wheels?

JaYson
05-08-2013, 04:13 PM
the alignment I intend to do but I was told to wait after this steering problem is fixed because apparently an alignment is pointless unless the issue is fixed. I will look into the warped rotors, is it something I can inspect just by looking at the rotors or do I have to remove the wheels?

If your rotors are warped, you'll get a lot of vibration in the steering wheel when braking at high speed. For me; I got vibrations when braking above 90km/h.

Nooby31
05-08-2013, 04:23 PM
I dont notice much steering vibrations at high speeds when braking, the main issue is when the car is slow and I brake.

JaYson
05-08-2013, 04:44 PM
I dont notice much steering vibrations at high speeds when braking, the main issue is when the car is slow and I brake.

I'm no expert, but I'd say its likely not a warped rotor, or atleast less likely. Usually vibrations at high speed are pretty standard for warped rotors

tmpz
05-08-2013, 05:05 PM
I'm guessing wheel balancing. You said you got new tires and rims recently.

Have you tried going back to the tire shop and get them to check?

Nooby31
05-08-2013, 05:44 PM
I have not gone back to the tire shop since install. they came balanced and seemed okay when I first had them put on.

standsideways
05-08-2013, 06:39 PM
First thing i would think is sticky caliper pin...

Chrisinski
05-08-2013, 08:43 PM
check the tread on your old tires ( if handy ) and see if their is more wear on one side of the tire than the other. It may only be minor but having the bigger wheel size could increase the effects of being out of balance. I had a similar issue back when I upped the tires on my subbie. wheel tilted to the left when braking down from 70-45. check how well your car goes straight when not touching steering wheel ( do on the most flat road you know of ) and see if you notice pull. if that's not it check the component's behind tire and see if anything pops out at you.

hope that helps. just thought I would add my 2 cents

sarujo
05-08-2013, 08:49 PM
The OP should just go to Altech in Etobicoke pay the cash TM3 rate (search for threads) and get the 3D alignment done.

Noisy Crow
05-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Parking rake may not be fully releasing.

Nooby31
05-08-2013, 10:48 PM
I have all intentions of getting an alignment done BUT only after I can confirm this issue is not related to the alignment.

There is not a need to spend $$$ if it does nothing for my problem.

I will check out how my steering wheel reacts on an open plain road tommorow.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Flagrum_3
05-09-2013, 01:03 AM
First thing is to check that your tire pressures are correct, especially the front left and right are exactly the same pressure and at 32psi. Then drive down a smooth and level road and hit the brakes, If it still pulls its your brakes, No question about it...Probably need the pins lubed or pads/rotors cleaned-up.

Anyone who thinks/ or says air in the lines could be the problem is simply a moron and have no clue. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

_3

r4BBiT
05-09-2013, 08:49 AM
^ +1

Do that and also check if the car is going straight without braking. If it isn't then it's likely alignment and if it is then it could be brakes.

Also sometimes the road have a natural grooves (tracks) that tire can go in and it naturally follows this path. I've had this happen once or twice when I was breaking one wheel would get caught in those and would pull the whole car in that direction.

peterm15
05-09-2013, 09:02 AM
I'm with flagrum on this one.

Pulling one way just during breaking does not point to alignment for me. Most obvious solution is brakes.

In this case most likely caliper pins. But could be a problem with the rotors, pads or calipers themselves.

Chrisinski
05-09-2013, 10:10 AM
First thing is to check that your tire pressures are correct, especially the front left and right are exactly the same pressure and at 32psi. Then drive down a smooth and level road and hit the brakes, If it still pulls its your brakes, No question about it...Probably need the pins lubed or pads/rotors cleaned-up.

Anyone who thinks/ or says air in the lines could be the problem is simply a moron and have no clue. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

_3

+1 I didnt want to be the one to say the brake line info was just idiotic. Im glad you did lol.

JaYson
05-09-2013, 11:02 AM
The Pins/caliper issue makes a lot more sense than anything else.
One of your front calipers are likely sticking (or shot) and is not braking, hence the turn.

DDUKI
05-09-2013, 05:42 PM
I also sometimes experience same thing after bumping up the tire size and caliper painting.

But for me it might be just from jumping up to wider tire

mParsonz
05-09-2013, 06:10 PM
its either a caliper/pin stuck/ not fully releasing, or a brake pad could be stuck in the clips, many problems it could be with the brakes, and I highly doubt its anything but.

Nooby31
05-09-2013, 06:14 PM
So I took it to a different mechanic who test drove it and did say it was related to caliper pins stuck, and since I went larger and wider he said it is also due to the fact I did not get an alignment.

So today I got the caliper pins fixed, and changed to new front rotors and pads for a grand total of $350..

I plan on getting the alignment done tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

sarujo
05-09-2013, 06:23 PM
It's always a good rule of thumb to get an alignment done after installing new tires. Steering feel can easily be affected by alignment, especially pulling while braking. Let us know how it is after the alignment. And make sure you get it done at a good shop.

Nooby31
05-09-2013, 07:37 PM
yeah I should have got the alignment about a month ago and just got lazy. I am currently looking for a good shop in the gta with a reasonable price.

sarujo
05-09-2013, 08:13 PM
I already told you the answer to that earlier. Go back up to #11

Flagrum_3
05-10-2013, 12:36 PM
It's always a good rule of thumb to get an alignment done after installing new tires. Steering feel can easily be affected by alignment, especially pulling while braking. Let us know how it is after the alignment. And make sure you get it done at a good shop.

This is not correct, Rule of thumb is; Pulling ALL the time; it is most likely alignment verse Pulling to one side or the other whilst braking and ONLY whilst braking; It's the brakes, they are either grabbing or sticking...The Alignment being out, in most cases WILL NOT effect braking, unless in combination with a serious part failure in the front suspension i.e idler arm, ball joint etc....I agree with the rest of the comment and suggest also the OP go the Altech for his alignment.

_3

gotak
05-18-2013, 12:50 AM
yeah I should have got the alignment about a month ago and just got lazy. I am currently looking for a good shop in the gta with a reasonable price.

Don't go for pure price. A bad alignment can kill a set of tires. Wiping out any savings.