PDA

View Full Version : Estimate Cost to Fix this Rust?

stellos
05-25-2013, 01:00 AM
Hello, I have a Mazda 3 2004 Sport GS. I heard that the paint on the car isn't up to par. I heard the 2004 to 2007 models were having very common rust issues. 2008-2009 models were much better from what I've read. I should go my dealership and see what they say first before I go to a random bodyshop.

That being said basically rust is starting show hopefully its the early stages of rust on the rear wheels side. Anyways im looking for quote or an estimate on how much this should cost up too.

Right side:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/525387_10152774980435232_107959013_n.jpg

Left side:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/64433_10152774980275232_498199117_n.jpg

Then I should rust proof for future problems :)

mathew.poulos
05-25-2013, 07:08 AM
If the bead is broken it will continue to rust even after its been repaired, your best chance for a permanent repair is to find new body panels that are rust free.

aris
05-25-2013, 08:35 AM
First off 2008 models are just as bad. My 2008 rusted and so did my sister in laws 08.

Going to dealer will be a waste of time for you... Your car is way past warranty.

As for price your looking at a lot of money... Both my wheel wells were repaired and was very minimal rust and each side was a little over $500 each

Dave_The_BMXER
05-27-2013, 07:36 AM
If you want something that will remotely last you are probably looking at about 1200 + TBH

Rob23
05-27-2013, 09:16 AM
don't waste your money, get new body panels or just live with it. My rear wheel wells have been fixed 3 times now. Once by Mazda and it lasted a year.

Airman Jack
05-27-2013, 09:19 AM
I have similar/worse rust in the same locations. A local body shop in Kingston quoted roughly $1200 to fix it properly (i.e. cutting out the rusty panel bits and welding in some new stuff). They offered $2500ish to repaint the whole car, which I think I'm going to go for once I get the scratch together.

Rob23
05-27-2013, 09:25 AM
I have similar/worse rust in the same locations. A local body shop in Kingston quoted roughly $1200 to fix it properly (i.e. cutting out the rusty panel bits and welding in some new stuff). They offered $2500ish to repaint the whole car, which I think I'm going to go for once I get the scratch together.

Even if you cut and weld new metal in, the weld seem will rust and start to show. if you going to spend the money, get the panel replacement from the dealer then have someone install it. that is probably the best and most effective way to fix it.

Trust me I have been though it.

Airman Jack
05-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Even if you cut and weld new metal in, the weld seem will rust and start to show. if you going to spend the money, get the panel replacement from the dealer then have someone install it. that is probably the best and most effective way to fix it.

The panel is bonded (glued), I think along the gutter line, and is a single piece from just ahead of the drivers door all the way to the rear quarter panel. I'm not convinced this type of repair would be any cheaper or more cost effective (i.e. a longer lasting repair). I thought a properly done weld/prime/paint job would be just as durable as the whole panel?

Jackal
05-28-2013, 02:38 PM
$300-400 for a cheap job that will come back within 2 years or about $1000 for cutting and welding job.

Rob23
05-28-2013, 02:39 PM
The panel is bonded (glued), I think along the gutter line, and is a single piece from just ahead of the drivers door all the way to the rear quarter panel. I'm not convinced this type of repair would be any cheaper or more cost effective (i.e. a longer lasting repair). I thought a properly done weld/prime/paint job would be just as durable as the whole panel?

Ive had rust cut out and new metal welded in twice now. Once from Mazda and once from another guy the longest it lasted was about a year. Its your decision in the end but i wish i went the new panel route. Its uder 200 i believe for the new panel. But you can do what you want.

Rob23
05-28-2013, 02:41 PM
$300-400 for a cheap job that will come back within 2 years or about $1000 for cutting and welding job.

Where did you get those quotes? That is not correct. 500-600 for a fix will last maybe 6 months. Cutting and welding will last a year maybe two.

aris
05-28-2013, 02:56 PM

I'm not sure where your getting your price but its a little low... Less then a year it will be baback to fix this rust spot on mine cost $515 tax in
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af102/aristeidis/null_zps87cc1194.jpg

other side developed rust right after this side got fixed... Exact same price.... Look how minor mine is and how much the body shop charged

midnightfxgt
05-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Ive had rust cut out and new metal welded in twice now. Once from Mazda and once from another guy the longest it lasted was about a year. Its your decision in the end but i wish i went the new panel route. Its uder 200 i believe for the new panel. But you can do what you want.

Saying that the weld seam will rust means that buying a new panel will rust too, since it needs to be welded in.

Rob23
05-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Saying that the weld seam will rust means that buying a new panel will rust too, since it needs to be welded in.

Its possible. I thought about that, but being welded higher up on the car instead of the wheel well where the problem is I thought it would last much longer. This is just from my experience. Every place I have got quotes from including the place beside jimmys will not guarantee that the rust wont come back. Ive had my wheel wells fixed 3 times and it always comes back with in the year.

krimsalt
05-28-2013, 05:19 PM
I can't see how deep the rust penetrates, but it could easily be a few hundred $$. There is absolutely no point in exchanging and getting a new panel. The cutting/welding will be a lot more expensive and there is no guarantee the new panel won't rust. Based on a look of it, don't try any rust converter - the rust seems to have penetrated too deep and that stuff is only good for flash/surface rust.

If you want you can come up and see us and we can take a much more detailed look at it and give you a proper quote. Let me know if you have any questions.

Dave_The_BMXER
05-28-2013, 05:20 PM
My longest repair has been two years. Buying panels soon.

TheAnswer_03
05-28-2013, 09:25 PM
I have rust in the same area, not as bad as yours yet, though mines an '07. I had the wheel well sanded and repainted about a year ago and it came back. I've given up at this point and saving up for something else. Good luck on your repair.

mikey32235
05-28-2013, 10:03 PM
be careful where you go, my aunt just took her 3 to a shop to fix, as i was changing her winter tires to summers i noticed all they did was cover it up with putty, sand it and paint. costed $1000. for those who dont know, thats not the proper way to paint a car! i would highy reccomend going somewhere well known or through a friend.