PDA

View Full Version : Best primer/paint combo for DIY rim restoration

mirkrim
08-14-2013, 02:52 AM
Hey all,

I'm slowly making progress with my rim restoration project and I'm looking at primer/paint now. Currently I've got the following:

Duplicolor Zinc Chromate Primer (yellow)
Rustoleum HP Wheel paint (graphite)

However I'm second-guessing myself on the primer because I read that mixing brands can result in poor adhesion, causing flaking/peeling. Since I'm using Rustoleum for the base and clear coats, should I use a Rustoleum self-etching primer instead of the Duplicolor ZC?

pwdunmore
08-14-2013, 10:55 AM
I would stick with the same brands just to be safe, and make sure the primer is close to the desired colour. If your mixing colours the primer will affect the end colour, or atleast it did when I did my rims.

Example: I did the black primer to get a dark gunmetal colour and grey gives you a lighter gunmetal. Used a "smoke" top coat to make it glossy and metallic. And I clear coated.

SonicBoy
08-14-2013, 10:23 PM
+1. Stick to same brands and don't try to mix and match.

I don't think you need the Zinc Chromate Primer. You're better off with something sandable if you have rock chips or minor imperfections.

mirkrim
08-15-2013, 12:58 AM
Ok thanks guys.

So with the primer, you're saying the "standard" self-etching sprays will be good enough? My concern was making sure the paint bonds well, and the overall durability of the finish. I've heard of some jobs where regular primer was used, and the paint chipped off during tire mounting.

The other thing is, I could use the Zinc Chromate primer and just switch to Duplicolor base and clear coats (instead of Rustoleum). Or should I just not use the Zinc Chromate, period?

Sorry for the triple-post, I can't seem to edit. I just realized I should have put this topic in the "Exterior Styling & Appearance" section.

SonicBoy
08-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Standard Duplicolor sandable primer should be OK.

A good finish starts with the prep work in making sure the surface is clean. Go over the surface with a scothbrite pad to ensure the primer/paint has some bite to bond to.

Always read the label or do some research regarding drying time.

Thin light coats are always better than heaver thick coats.