PDA

View Full Version : Cat back system

FLIPDADY
04-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Brullen exhaust is currently developing a cat-back system for the 3. It sounds perfect at idle and when you punch it gives a nice deep growl.

Xenon
04-29-2004, 05:34 PM
Ooooooooo.... sounds purrrrty.

FLIPDADY
04-30-2004, 07:50 AM
It looks factory too which is the good part.

bluntman
04-30-2004, 08:27 AM
That\'s sounding much better to my ears (no pun intended). There\'s another in the MSProtege forums, another Torontonian, who has one of those \"bottle mufflers\" with a short tail pipe. I don\'t like those at all. I\'ll go for a larger diameter tailpipe, but I don\'t want to see the muffler.

Do you know how much it cost and where to pick one up and its availability?

Xenon
04-30-2004, 06:53 PM
will it have a silencer? I plan to make some long trips with my car... Having a rumbling exhaust during a four hour drive (or longer) gets to be very annoying.

chimp
06-28-2004, 10:47 AM
i was wondering about those guys getting into the mazda 3.
i had a mr2 and was in the mr2 club and they made a exhaust system
for the mr2. the club even got to go on a tour of there facility and gave
a club discount. they will support us if we support them and i like there
products in the past so i wouldn\'t heisitate to buy a cat-back system from
them. there pricing is usually pretty good since its canadian company.
i\'m looking forward to see what they come up with....and hopefully its before
importfest.

Jay3
06-28-2004, 01:27 PM
I had a Brullen on my old Accord and the owner actually allowed me to tour the place. He\'s a really nice guy. The whole piping system was stainless steel and it never, ever rusted. The only thing is that the connectors between pipes weren\'t stainless and had some rust after a couple of years. Otherwise the workmanship is good.

bluntman
06-28-2004, 01:48 PM
I keep forgetting to call them and ask them how much a cat-back would cost. Derksen and I were at their Customer Appreciation Day on the 12th and they had 10% Off coupons. Their website gave me the impression that they sell their cat-back systems to dealers who install them, so I guess they develop and install everything \"in house\"?

Grifter
06-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Where is Brullen again? I think I remember reading somewhere it\'s on Denison, which is pretty close to where I live. Maybe some of us can swing by for a tour and/or discussions or if the next meet is in the area (and if they\'re open on weekends) we can ALL swing by :D :D

bluntman
06-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Grifter

Where is Brullen again? I think I remember reading somewhere it\'s on Denison, which is pretty close to where I live. Maybe some of us can swing by for a tour and/or discussions or if the next meet is in the area (and if they\'re open on weekends) we can ALL swing by :D :D

110 Denison, north side of Denison, west of Woodbine.

Jay3
06-29-2004, 05:42 PM
If I remember correctly Brullen only sells to dealers, but makes exceptions for clubs. I guess we count as a club?

bluntman
07-01-2004, 10:06 AM
The coupon that I picked up during their Customer Appreciation Day says \"visit our showroom & installation centre\" and \"free estimate\" too.

905-415-7733

Xenon
07-04-2004, 12:04 AM
The guy at the Dyno place told me that Magnaflow Exhausts look nice, but are of poor build. Anyone have experience with Magnaflow or have one installed?

ng3
07-14-2004, 09:02 PM
I had a Mangaflow on my old car... muffler only mind you, but I was very happy with it. I had it installed at NoyzBoyz. The thing I liked the most about it was that it didn\'t make a lot of noise at normal highway speeds (110/120) but after the rpm got higher than 4000 it sounded great. Also low rpm in high gear (1500-2000 in 4th and 5th) rumbled nice not too loud.

On the other hand a friend of mine had a cat-back magnaflow on a golf and you had to shout in the back on the highway... My opinion... Wait for someone to get one and decide if you like it...

I would get one if the price was right...

FLIPDADY
07-15-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Xenon

The guy at the Dyno place told me that Magnaflow Exhausts look nice, but are of poor build. Anyone have experience with Magnaflow or have one installed?
Please avoid Magnaflow I\'ve had customers with Protege 5\'s that had them installed. Later on down the road they start leaking at the welds. Like Xenon said they look good but they have poor construction. I would go Brullen or maybe even Apex, but get a really reputable exhaust shop that can do mandrel bending to do the work.

wtom
09-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Hey all, told you I was getting anxious to finally mod something on my 3;

I just called Brullen and spoke to Alex. He says the company has already installed their full-cat back on a few 3\'s (two sport and one sedan I believe). The welds are stainless steel as well. Price wise we\'re looking at $935 to $945 plus tax, installed. If Xenon gets our club into their approved list then we should be able to pay $825 plus tax with the club discount.

EDIT: Just searched on the web for Brullen and found a couple \"reviews\" of the exhaust on other cars and each one stated the exhaust is relatively much louder than other similar exhausts.

bluntman
09-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Holy $hit that\'s expensive! Well, that\'s off of my list. :(

midnightfxgt
09-16-2004, 04:41 PM
Thats huge $. The Draxas exhaust looks good, and has a great price.

~JOHN

wtom
09-17-2004, 10:59 AM
http://store.draxas.com/browse_products.asp?Cat=2&Sub=95

US$ BTW but yes still cheaper than Brullen even after duties (about $60 some guy in Montreal told me) but then again, install will probably cost the $100 or $200 to bring the price right up to the same level as Brullen... but I have a feeling Draxas is a bit better than Brullen...

I\'m interested in the second option, with high flow cat.

MajesticBlueNTO
09-17-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by wtom

http://store.draxas.com/browse_products.asp?Cat=2&Sub=95

US$ BTW but yes still cheaper than Brullen even after duties (about $60 some guy in Montreal told me) but then again, install will probably cost the $100 or $200 to bring the price right up to the same level as Brullen... but I have a feeling Draxas is a bit better than Brullen...

I\'m interested in the second option, with high flow cat.

if a shop is charging you $200 to install a cat-back exhaust ...RUN...run far away.

$100 is still a bit pricey for a straight swap install. it\'ll take no more than 15-20 minutes on a hoist to swap the exhaust...AND the bolts are still brand new so they aren\'t even rusted on.

the Draxas exhaust is made by Thermal Research and Development... a big name in the exhaust game. Brullens are good quality (a few maxima buddies have Brullen exhaust components) but they are $$$$ and are loud (you WILL need a HUGE resonator to quiet the noise)

wtom
09-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

if a shop is charging you $200 to install a cat-back exhaust ...RUN...run far away.

$100 is still a bit pricey for a straight swap install. it\'ll take no more than 15-20 minutes on a hoist to swap the exhaust...AND the bolts are still brand new so they aren\'t even rusted on.

Told ya I knew nothing about car mods/installs :p

Less than $100 to swap the exhaust? Hmm... now I\'m really getting interested to order the Draxas... arghhhhh

EDIT: Can any car shop do the install? Or prefer to take it to a specialized shop? TIA

Jer
09-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Magnaflow products aren\'t as poor or any worse than most of the products described in the rest of this thread. Don\'t let TAG motorsports try to convince you otherwise - those guys have problems looking up which spark plugs to put in their customer\'s cars - and I bet that\'s after spending a whole hour in the Canadian Tire automotive secction looking in the little plug guide ;)

Brullen DOES do custom exhausts, and is one of the -few- shops in the GTA that can do mandrel bends, and they have very many happy customers as well. IMHO they\'re a ripoff and I don\'t like them for it but whatever, they don\'t seem to have many complaints.

Get a magnaflow, dynomax, apex, brullen, or whatever floats your boat - remember that non SS mufflers will rust and die pretty early, and use your common sense when shopping around, depending on your needs.

Reputable shops that have done custom exhaust work for several clubs in the GTA (that I know of at least), are Brullen, JPG Exhaust (Oakville), and Budget Exhaust (Burlington).

Personally I choose JPG because they give good prices, and don\'t screw around with their customers. Budget makes an appointment, then when you show up the next 4 times they change their minds on when they can do the install - but they make some quality pipes and exhaust products - when they get around to it, and back them up if you have problems. Brullen is Brullen, overpriced, but I haven\'t heard of many complaints.

Maybe you folks should organize a group deal at Midas Muffler for a King Performance Exhaust.

Originally posted by Xenon

The guy at the Dyno place told me that Magnaflow Exhausts look nice, but are of poor build. Anyone have experience with Magnaflow or have one installed?:D

wtom
09-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Dang boy, thanks for that mad reply! :)

I would prefer to see and touch and inspect something before buying it but yes, Brullen is way too expensive for my liking, although the Draxas that I\'m interested in is only a hundred or two less.

I gotta contain my patience... :p