PDA

View Full Version : Static Electricity

Mitchell3
11-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Attention cloth seat people.. how do you deal with the static electricity..? Last year I got shocked every single time I got out of my car and closed the door. Drives me nuts. Now that its getting colder I'm starting to get shocked again every day. Its not just a "ou I got shocked", its an "Ah ****" kind of shock :chuckle. I must wear the right kind of fabric I guess. Is there anything I can do or get to not get a zinger in my finger every time I go to close my car door.

greyseason
11-14-2013, 06:48 PM
lmao! hasnt happend to me yet, but im interested! I alwasy think ima blow up the gas station

Jackal
11-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Cloth seats and no static electricity. Do you wear a fleece jacket?

FD22
11-14-2013, 08:16 PM
That's odd; this hasn't happened to me once :S

Kiewan
11-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Always zapped getting out of the car. It started a few days ago when it dipped below freezing. On a side note, my tint wrapped taillights are really charged and collect dust :/

Mitchell3
11-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Cloth seats and no static electricity. Do you wear a fleece jacket?

Im pretty sure its not fleece, doesn't say on the coat. It has gotten worse since I switched to my winter coat but even before that when I wore my windbreaker style jacket I was getting shocked. And I didn't think jeans get that much of a static charge.

Jackal
11-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Im pretty sure its not fleece, doesn't say on the coat. It has gotten worse since I switched to my winter coat but even before that when I wore my windbreaker style jacket I was getting shocked. And I didn't think jeans get that much of a static charge.

The inner lining? Polyester can really hold a good charge waiting for it chance to strike. Wonder what it could be...

silverstarmazda
11-14-2013, 09:19 PM
cloth seats and never had a problem. do by any chance use a dryer for your clothes? i know clothes can hold onto a charge long after the dryer so i guess you can use a dryer sheet when drying :/

you can get one of those static discharge keychains. all you gotta do is touch it on something metal and the "shock" is within the keychain. not in gas fumes and fuses lol

edit: actually since above mentioned it, this could be a real problem at a gas station ... make sure you ground yourself before filling up

Jenuine
11-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Try having long hair in the winter... I get shocked at least a couple times a day :( lol

Mitchell3
11-14-2013, 09:44 PM
The inner lining? Polyester can really hold a good charge waiting for it chance to strike. Wonder what it could be...

I think the inner lining is polyester.

cloth seats and never had a problem. do by any chance use a dryer for your clothes? i know clothes can hold onto a charge long after the dryer so i guess you can use a dryer sheet when drying :/

you can get one of those static discharge keychains. all you gotta do is touch it on something metal and the "shock" is within the keychain. not in gas fumes and fuses lol

edit: actually since above mentioned it, this could be a real problem at a gas station ... make sure you ground yourself before filling up

Thanks I'll check out the key chain! And I do ground myself. I almost never get out without closing the door anywhere and when I close the door is when I get shocked.

Try having long hair in the winter... I get shocked at least a couple times a day :( lol

I don't know, its almost worse knowing your going to get shocked reaching for the door :chuckle. Going to get to the point I'm afraid of my door..

After putting some thought into it I did electrocute myself a bit last year hanging up Christmas lights, maybe I'm still getting rid of that charge :chuckle

XTOTHEL
11-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Before you go out, touch your bare metal keys? Feel up the window? Caress a bottle of water?

Mitchell3
11-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Before you go out, touch your bare metal keys? Feel up the window? Caress a bottle of water?

First two actually work? I don't carry water around with me. I did try closing the door via the window once but I think I got shocked still after accidently touching the body of the car lol

silverstarmazda
11-14-2013, 09:50 PM
that or touch somebody LOL

Jenuine
11-14-2013, 09:52 PM
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-out-of-a-Car-Without-Getting-Shocked-by-Static-Electricity

LOL I can't believe someone wrote this up.

Mitchell3
11-14-2013, 09:55 PM
that or touch somebody LOL
LOL typically the closest person would be a potential customer so that wouldn't be good for business.
Hi I'm Mitchell nice to meet you ZAP.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-out-of-a-Car-Without-Getting-Shocked-by-Static-Electricity

LOL I can't believe someone wrote this up.

Yes! Thanks I'll try that. Feel like an idiot who needs a walkthrough of exiting a vehicle.

XTOTHEL
11-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Oh, I just keep water in the car. Also I travel with a coffee mug too, aluminum, probably does something.

Also don't crank up your heater up too high, that'll dry things out and create static too.

You can also try keeping purell in your car, and when you go out, squirt some? <- unsure if that works, I just think keeping yourself moist would help.

FD22
11-14-2013, 11:18 PM
I just think keeping yourself moist would help.

Keeping yourself moist always works ;)

Well Mitch, at least it looks like you're not the only one who experiences this lol

I've yet to experience it myself. Though I've probably jynxed it now..

silverstarmazda
11-14-2013, 11:53 PM
i probably dont get it because i touch EVERYTHING in the car lol

shift8
11-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Attention cloth seat people.. how do you deal with the static electricity..? Last year I got shocked every single time I got out of my car and closed the door. Drives me nuts. Now that its getting colder I'm starting to get shocked again every day. Its not just a "ou I got shocked", its an "Ah ****" kind of shock :chuckle. I must wear the right kind of fabric I guess. Is there anything I can do or get to not get a zinger in my finger every time I go to close my car door.

Yep same issue here too :) Started as soon as it started getting closer to freezing. Every time I get out of the car it happens, and doesn't matter the jacket I'm wearing.

ryan2.3
11-15-2013, 09:35 AM
I thought there was something wrong with me, because i get zapped every single time i get out of my car, 4 or 5 times a day. most of the time it's minor but still annoying. I don't have any fleece or things like that though. My coat is synthetic leather with a silk-like inside liner. My water bottle is in plastic not aluminum.

I use the door roof to get out (step 3 and 4 from that link) and that's when i get shocked, before i even get out of the car

silverstarmazda
11-15-2013, 11:11 AM
use your powers for good!!!

peterm15
11-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Static guard?

Mitchell3
11-15-2013, 08:00 PM
I thought there was something wrong with me, because i get zapped every single time i get out of my car, 4 or 5 times a day. most of the time it's minor but still annoying. I don't have any fleece or things like that though. My coat is synthetic leather with a silk-like inside liner. My water bottle is in plastic not aluminum.

I use the door roof to get out (step 3 and 4 from that link) and that's when i get shocked, before i even get out of the car

Every time I got out of my car today I forgot to try :facepalm

I might try that static guard.

m3gad37h
12-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Leave it to ebay to find a solution for everything. :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/car-anti-static-strap

ANTI-STATIC RUBBER STRAP HELPS PREVENT CAR SICKNESS AND MOTION SICKNESS. IT GET'S RID OF THE STATIC ELECTRICITY BUILD UP IN YOUR VEHICLE, IT'S EASY TO FIT TO ANY METAL POINT UNDER THE VEHICLE & CAN BE CUT TO LENGTH IF NEEDED.

Will probably cure any cold soars & hemroids you might have too.

Zotaga
12-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Maybe that just means you're electric? Bzt.

Mitchell3
12-09-2013, 09:37 PM
LOL. Anti static strip - ASS? That word not exist in Australia?

I'm confused, is this one of those things that hangs from the car?

I was actually getting into the habit of holding the body of the car so I didn't get shocked but lately I still get shocked.. depends on if theres a shorter route I guess if I am holding funny..

XTOTHEL
12-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Days are getting cold and I've been wearing my columbia jacket and I've been getting some big shocks. Though I find that if I wear thin pants and let my leg touch the door sill first, it doesn't hurt at all.

greyseason
12-10-2013, 07:25 AM
I kept getting my nose shocked when i was in the car with a girl. Good shocks too

Timotee
12-10-2013, 01:11 PM
This is the problem with layering during the winter season. Your jacket and inner layer of clothing generate static electricity once you put them on (rubbing). Not really that bad but it catches you off guard, somewhat annoying at times.

silverstarmazda
12-10-2013, 01:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuZxFL9cGkI