PDA

View Full Version : Rust-proofing/Undercoating?

wtom
05-17-2004, 05:32 PM
The sales person who I\'m presently dealing with stated twice (different days) that the manufacturer has put a layer of undercoating (rust proofing?) on the Mazda 3 (Sedan and Sport).

Has anyone else heard anything like this, and if not, did you get rust-proofing from non-dealership? A buddy of mine who owns a different car said the \"after-market\" rust-proofing can void the warranty! WHOA.

bluntman
05-17-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by wtom

The sales person who I\'m presently dealing with stated twice (different days) that the manufacturer has put a layer of undercoating (rust proofing?) on the Mazda 3 (Sedan and Sport).

Has anyone else heard anything like this, and if not, did you get rust-proofing from non-dealership? A buddy of mine who owns a different car said the \"after-market\" rust-proofing can void the warranty! WHOA.

Undercoating from the factory, I can believe that, but rustproofing, no. The undercoating, generally, is a thick tar-like coating that deadens the road noise and is applied to the underside of the vehicle. Rustproofing is sprayed onto the backside of the body panels.

I went for the whole 9 yards at got the rustproofing, sound deadening, paint protection and leather protection (called the Platinum Package 2) from my dealership (Avante Mazda of Toronto). Many dealerships outsource their rustproofing to companies outside of the dealership so I wouldn\'t put to much credence into the fact that an aftermarket rustproofing can void one\'s warranty. That being said, many aftermarket rustproofing companies do not have the proper tools to get into all of the knooks and crannies of all cars, some companies even have to drill into some body panels in order to get into those tight spots.

wtom
05-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Tired of me yet, bluntman? :D

Thanks for all of your input/responses (this is the third I\'m reading from you in this entire forum). So I guess I\'m better to get rust-proofing direct from the dealership? Funny how I asked jasonC at Markham Mazda about it and he even quoted me to get rust proofing from a third-party place. I guess Markham Mazda doesn\'t do rust-proofing (for the 3?).

bluntman
05-18-2004, 09:45 AM

Tired of me yet, bluntman? :D

Thanks for all of your input/responses (this is the third I\'m reading from you in this entire forum). So I guess I\'m better to get rust-proofing direct from the dealership? Funny how I asked jasonC at Markham Mazda about it and he even quoted me to get rust proofing from a third-party place. I guess Markham Mazda doesn\'t do rust-proofing (for the 3?).

Tired, no...the more the merrier!

If your dealership offers rustproofing, get it from them or if they have contracted a company that rustproofs vehicles on their behalf, get it from them. If you\'re still out of luck, look around first, see what kind of rustproofing spray that different companies use. Do they use thick oil based sprays or do they use the thinner water-like sprays that allow itself to seep into tight areas. Most importantly, do they have to drill into the body panels, what are their warranties and how often do you have to go in for reappliction of the rustproofing. I have to go in once a year for the reapplication.

miggiddy
05-18-2004, 11:03 AM
I didn\'t get the rust proofing or undercoat from the dealer, but thinking of getting it done from a place like Krown (http://www.krown.com/). Has anyone used their rust proofing product before. I was just reading thru their install process, and not liking the whole drilling holes into your car, but I guess at this point I don\'t have much of a choice.

wtom
05-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Jeez that doesn\'t sound fun to me... third party and possibly having to drill holes just to get to certain nooks and crannies? The precious car!! :(

No one mentioned FX Auto for rust-proofing?

bluntman
05-18-2004, 01:33 PM

Jeez that doesn\'t sound fun to me... third party and possibly having to drill holes just to get to certain nooks and crannies? The precious car!! :(

No one mentioned FX Auto for rust-proofing?

Good news, FX Auto does do rust proofing. As far as what type of chemical they use and whether or not they drill, I don\'t know.

miggiddy
05-18-2004, 04:49 PM
Info:

FX Auto
- uses a wax base
- no drilling
- Lifetime warranty

$249 includes: (approx. 2 hours)
- rust proofing
- undercoating body

$350 includes: (approx. 3.5 hours)
- rust proofing
- undercoating body
- paint protection (sealant)
- fabric guard (5 yr warranty only)

NOTE:
$50 for annual spray to maintain Lifetime warranty

sw0rdfish
05-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Thanks Miggiddy... Thats good to know.

Wonder what they\'re rustproof/tint special would be :P

More to think about...

Xenon
05-18-2004, 10:20 PM
I don\'t think rustproofing is necessary so early in the cars life. Much of everything is made of plastic and fibreglass anyways. I can understand 5 years down the road, but I think you\'d be wasting you time doing it now.

wtom
05-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Xenon

I don\'t think rustproofing is necessary so early in the cars life. Much of everything is made of plastic and fibreglass anyways. I can understand 5 years down the road, but I think you\'d be wasting you time doing it now.

Thanks Miggidy for your FX Auto pricing! I have the same thinking as you, sw0rdfish! I want tint for sure, most likely from FX Auto, and if they can cut a deal on rustproofing... definitely! :)

Any comments on Xenon\'s comments above? It\'s the first I\'ve heard of that argument.

bluntman
05-19-2004, 10:44 AM

Thanks Miggidy for your FX Auto pricing! I have the same thinking as you, sw0rdfish! I want tint for sure, most likely from FX Auto, and if they can cut a deal on rustproofing... definitely! :)

Any comments on Xenon\'s comments above? It\'s the first I\'ve heard of that argument.

Think of it as Health Insurance for your car. The price of even the basic rustproofing is cheaper than the Health Insurance Premiums that the government has just levied on the people of Ontario. It may be true that rustproofing my be going the way of the dinosaur with carmakers paying more attention to these types of things. My dad\'s 98 VW New Beetle had a 10 year warranty against corrosion on the body panels right from the factory. However, unless the carmaker states this, I\'m not going to play Russian Roulette with my car.

miggiddy
05-19-2004, 11:19 AM
I look at it as preventative maintenance. I think FX Auto said something about getting it done within the first 6 months of purchasing your new vehicle. I\'m not sure if that\'s a requirement for them to offer the life time warranty. I\'ll double check with them. But that makes sense to me, they can\'t warranty their work on a old car that did not previously have any protection.

Does anyone know the difference between the wax or oil bases?

wtom
05-19-2004, 12:58 PM
Bluntman ain\'t blunt with \"health insurance for your car\" point of view. That\'s the best way to look at it now that I\'ve heard of it (the view). Especially with our salty winters.

bluntman
05-19-2004, 01:59 PM

Bluntman ain\'t blunt with \"health insurance for your car\" point of view. That\'s the best way to look at it now that I\'ve heard of it (the view). Especially with our salty winters.

I don\'t even smoke \'em! :p

Black3
05-19-2004, 07:03 PM
rustproffing is vital to prevent rust.
stone chios, whicg are inevitable, allow the metal underneath to oxidize and then begins the rust.
rust proofing will prevent the formation of rust on the undercarriage and impossible to get at spots. iam all for it
use Krown rust control

miggiddy
05-19-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Black3

use Krown rust control

Black3 - Have you used Krown before? Opinions?

Black3
05-20-2004, 06:51 PM
i used to work right next door to Krown rust, i heard many people compliment thier work and also have been told by many poeple it is the best option.
be prepared they will drill holes in the rocker panels and inside doors/trunks.
the cap them off when they finish the work. they use attachments to go the length of the body panels.
i have no problem using them.
about $100 bucks a year or so, depending on your vehicle.

miggiddy
05-20-2004, 08:44 PM
Cool thanks. I called them today and they told me the same thing. I just wonder which is better, wax or oil?

sw0rdfish
05-21-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by miggiddy

Cool thanks. I called them today and they told me the same thing. I just wonder which is better, wax or oil?
Drilling scares me...

miggiddy
05-21-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by sw0rdfish

Drilling scares me...

me too. but we\'ll see. I probably won\'t do it until mid to late summer.

Newlook
05-21-2004, 10:22 PM
I\'ve done some researches before and lots of reports say rust proofing is not necessary on all new vehicles today. Any any holes drilled on to the body panel might void the warranty.

*On the warranty information booklet, anti-perforation limited warranty section, it says:

Warranty period is the first 60 months (5 years).

*What\'s not covered:

Any perforation due to corrosion of the vehicle which is caused by industrial fallout, accident, damage, abuse, vehicle modifications or cargo that is damaging or corrosive to the vehicle.
(Is drilling holes for rust proofing a damage or vehicle modification?)

Any surface corrosion which does not result in perforation, such as that typically caused by sand, salt, hail or stones.

*Also listed in \"Your Responsibilities\" reguarding anti-perforation warranty:

Inspect vehicle frequently and touch up stone chips or scratches in the paint or protective coating.

Wash the underbody at least once a month with clean water if you drive on salted roads, or near the ocean.

Keep the drain holes in the lower edges of the body clear.
(I heard some rust proofing would plug these holes and thus void the warranty)

Read the booklet in detail for further information.

miggiddy
05-24-2004, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the insight. I\'ll have to double check before I do anything.

Black3
06-10-2004, 07:13 PM
just thought i add a few thoughts to this.
in about 5 years if you have rust on your car, i can guarantee mazda will NOT honour the warranty, the rust has to have made a hole through the body panels.
the dealer will throw anything possible at you regarding aftermarket rustproofing. to structurally demean the vehicle, you would have to cut all supporting panels aross the actual support. if you drill a hole in the centre of a panel, or rocker arm for example, you do not hurt the integrity of the support. unless that hole is cut right down the corner of the support, there will not be any structural damage.
I will use the example of a aluminum step ladder: flimsy at times cna probably be bent out of shape if you physically bend the frame. if used correct it will not bend,you can drill a hole or two down the middle of the panel and it will still hold.
and for those of you who read the owners manual and warranty word by word,Mazda has put in any all possible exceptions to their warranty.
rust proofing is essential, maybe not the first or 2nd years but should be done to extend the life of the body.

wtom
06-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks Black3 for your input! I am still seriously considering the rust proofing from FX Auto as well as the tint... whenever I get my car.

FLIPDADY
07-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Drilling is a big no-no!! That\'s why I would avoid Krown. So what they\'re going to do is drill into the panels which will one day end up rusting as a result of the drilling. Sounds to me like they want you to come back in the future. At the dealer there is no drilling just spraying the necessary components like under the hood, inside door panels, trunk, engine bay and in the wheel wells.

eric0088
07-25-2004, 06:07 PM
got my rust proof and undercoat for 231.69 at markham mazda
had to negotiate for a while

Soulcrusher
07-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by eric0088

I\'m guessing that they brought your car to FX Auto hehehehe. The next time you want to do any kind of tinting, rustproofing, detailing and/or paint production, you should contact FX Auto directly. You\'ll get better prices. Apparently FX Auto will become a Dealer Affiliate very soon.

Xenon
07-29-2004, 07:37 PM
THey are an Acessories affiliate as of August 17th. Until then Group Buy for Tint and clear bra is still available for the price of $375 CASH, taxes included.

RedRaptor
08-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Currently we take our mini van to RustCheck for the annual treatment. We\'ve been using RustCheck for 3 years now. The first time they did drill holes in the side of the door panels and the trunk/hatch. They cap it off then with a black remember sealant so it won\'t be noticable that holes were drilled into the panels. They have a seethru - window so that the customer can see what is going on. Whole process takes around 1 hour + the first time (drilling) and then after that it takes about 30min to 45min each year. Cost is about $125 for a minivan so it should be around $100 or so for smaller cars.

We get the whole package each year so that includes a undercoat for the car. The spray they use will drip for a few days (5 days) so if you have an interlock driveway, you should watch out. We usually leave the car parked on the street after for a few days.

When I get my Mz 3 I plan to use RustCheck also. Especially in Canada where the weather is so harsh in the winter, a little drilling is definately worth the trouble to keep it rustproof.

Hanif
02-04-2005, 10:33 AM

Does anyone know the difference between the wax or oil bases?

i see no one answered this question......i\'m looking into getting everything (rustproofing/tint/llumar bra) done early next week probably at FX Auto.....and i too am wondering which is better...oil or waxed based rustproofing......i\'ve read that rustcheck has a no drip formula......so i guess that\'s oil based......just wondering if anyone has enough insight to inform me (and i\'m sure others) as to which is better...

Flagrum_3
05-05-2005, 07:41 PM

Ya, I\'ll comment on that.....any metal part of a vehicle will start to deteriorate i.e oxidize immediately from the time it is manufactured.Sure the factory uses coatings on some parts of the vehicle but not all.If you wait 5 years its already too late!
Best method stay away from dealer coatings total ripoff and they don\'t work, wax based coatings have not been around long enough really to make a comment except thier unlikely to work also.Best method ......tried and true is oilspray and Krown has the best formula by far, so they might have to drill a couple of holes, so what. I have many friends with cars reaching very ripe 10-20year ages that were done using Krown and are still mint outside and underneath.

Oilspray method is also the more economical way to go........go figure.Its a no brainer to me.

My 2cts.

OTUA YM
05-05-2005, 10:00 PM
First let me say that what Black3 said is correct.
Regardless of what application you use,
Chances are that your warranty will not cover any rust spots you get.
They have so many loop-holes to get around any claims you try to submit.

That being said, I still think rustproofing is a must,
if you plan on keeping your car for a long period of time.

I had my last car done at Rust Check religious every year for the first 12 years,
and never had a spot of rust on it.
After that, I stopped doing it because the car was getting old,
and suddenly within the next 2 years rust started to appear in many spots.

I\'m leaning towards going with the oil application again.
... either Krown or Rust Check.
Drilling holes doesn\'t scare me.
I never had any problems with rust forming around the holes.
Just make sure that they capped off the holes.

I kinda like the idea of having the car completely sprayed with oil yearly.
The oil is thin, and it creeps into the smallest cracks and crevices,
covering the most vulnerable areas.

If you use the wax method, its thick and just coats the metal surface
Your yearly inspection in just that.... an inspection.
They only re-apply new wax in the areas where the old wax has been chipped away.
... they don\'t do a full re-application.

Just my 3 cents.

BTW... the best time to get your car sprayed with oil is in the Spring or early Summer.
The warm weather allows the oil to flow around and get into all the little gaps.
... makes sense if you think about it. :)

nifty6
05-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Flagrum_3

Ya, I\'ll comment on that.....any metal part of a vehicle will start to deteriorate i.e oxidize immediately from the time it is manufactured.Sure the factory uses coatings on some parts of the vehicle but not all.If you wait 5 years its already too late!
Best method stay away from dealer coatings total ripoff and they don\'t work, wax based coatings have not been around long enough really to make a comment except thier unlikely to work also.Best method ......tried and true is oilspray and Krown has the best formula by far, so they might have to drill a couple of holes, so what. I have many friends with cars reaching very ripe 10-20year ages that were done using Krown and are still mint outside and underneath.

Oilspray method is also the more economical way to go........go figure.Its a no brainer to me.

My 2cts.

Go with the oil spray. I have had both the wax and oil spray done to 2 different vehicles in my life time (58). The first car was done with the wax coating and within 4 to 5 years I had some serious rust happening. The wax only covers the metal it doesn\'t get into cracks and seams where water and moisture stay trapped. Water can even get trapped under the wax as it may peel. Why a inspection and reapply some areas where the wax may have come off. Would you want it in your doors gummimg up your power widows locks etc. not me. The other car I still have is a 1983 Olds Delta 88 with 260,000km. and no rust . Bottom of the doors, truck lid, fenders etc. nothing naw naw. The car had the oil spray. Same gas lines,brake lines, gas tank etc. As for the holes left from drilling, I have no rust around the holes, they only drilled into the top of the rocker panels and for the doors they go through the lock at the side of the door that strikes the pillar,no holes drilled in the door. If you are concerned about rust forming around the holes, pop the rubber plug and add some grease. I never did.
So if you are planning on keeping the car for a very long time go with the oil.
Just my 2 and a half cents worth.

rinse
05-12-2005, 08:48 PM

wow, are you talking about the $640 Rust Shield that Mazda offers after a new purchase? Because if so, that\'s one helluva bargain. My car is being delivered from Vancouver right now, so i have about a week or so to decide if I want mazda do the rust proofing for me, not sure yet.

wtom
05-13-2005, 10:00 AM
It\'s not a bargain if you consider going out and getting it done on your own through Krown for like $110 + tax. Stop throwing away your money to the dealerships (especially shady ones like MM).

Originally posted by rinse

wow, are you talking about the $640 Rust Shield that Mazda offers after a new purchase? Because if so, that\'s one helluva bargain. My car is being delivered from Vancouver right now, so i have about a week or so to decide if I want mazda do the rust proofing for me, not sure yet.

wtom
05-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by OTUA YM

BTW... the best time to get your car sprayed with oil is in the Spring or early Summer.
The warm weather allows the oil to flow around and get into all the little gaps.
... makes sense if you think about it. :)

How about when you wash the car? Can\'t wash the areas that have been sprayed then, otherwise you\'ll be wiping away the oil, no?

FLIPDADY
05-13-2005, 04:25 PM
We sell this electronic corrosion module that uses an electrical charge to protect the chasis. Apparently this thing really works because they\'ve been around for a while. The company is called Final Coat and the product is called Corrosion Module 2000.

More info here:
http://www.capfinalcoat.com/products/electronicrustprotection.html

nifty6
05-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

We sell this electronic corrosion module that uses an electrical charge to protect the chasis. Apparently this thing really works because they\'ve been around for a while. The company is called Final Coat and the product is called Corrosion Module 2000.

More info here:

The government did a stud on this product and found it to be useless. In fact they asked the manufacture to stop advertising this product for use in cars. The metal can be protected with this product only if the metal is completely submersed in water. Is your car in water everyday up to it\'s roof. So why these people are able to keep advertising beats me. I have also seen products that claim better gas mileage using magnets attached to the fuel line. They claim that if every car used this product world wide exhaust pollution would be reduced up to 85% and you COULD save 10% to 30% on gas. If this is true why haven\'t the governments around the world step in and demand car manufacrures to install these MAGNETS to the gas lines. There is no scientific proof any of these magnets work. Do your research people, anybody can tell you anything, if it sounds too good to be true than think twice about it.
my 2 and half cents worth..

mazda3boss
05-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by nifty6

More info here:

The government did a stud on this product and found it to be useless. In fact they asked the manufacture to stop advertising this product for use in cars. The metal can be protected with this product only if the metal is completely submersed in water. Is your car in water everyday up to it\'s roof. So why these people are able to keep advertising beats me. I have also seen products that claim better gas mileage using magnets attached to the fuel line. They claim that if every car used this product world wide exhaust pollution would be reduced up to 85% and you COULD save 10% to 30% on gas. If this is true why haven\'t the governments around the world step in and demand car manufacrures to install these MAGNETS to the gas lines. There is no scientific proof any of these magnets work. Do your research people, anybody can tell you anything, if it sounds too good to be true than think twice about it.
my 2 and half cents worth..

ahhh well said, so i wasted money on that undercoat :(

Flagrum_3
05-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Hey Guys, heres some facts for you;

1-Electronic Rust Prevention gizmo-Common knowledge ITs GARBAGE! GM was offering this as an Option on some of their vehicles and lots of people got suckered in until the study that Nifty6 mentioned came out.

2-Undercoating your vehicle WILL NOT VOID ANY VEHICLE WARRANTY.Want proof write any manufacturer they will tell you straight.Otherwise, I don\'t think Dealers would be allowed to sell it either.

3-Drilling holes in the Vehicle (where Krown drills) Will not void any vehicle Warranty, Will not cause the vehicle to rust and Will not weaken the structure of the vehicle period.

4-The Manufacturers Warranty for Rust does not cover any rust caused by stone chips, scratchs, minor dings, owner abuse etc; etc; They will only cover perferation i.e; Holes rusted thru from the inside out.
I don\'t think 5 years is long enough for any vehicle to rust right thru (Unless its a Hyundai Pony), so basically the manufacturers have covered themselves pretty good.

Like Nifty6 mentioned the oilspray method is THE ONLY method which dissipates water/moisture from the nooks and crannys and the only method which will reach these areas.Oilspray will not clog up drain oils.(These holes are usually found at the bottom of the doors and must be checked periodically, this is the owners responsibility).

The undercoating methods used by the dealers and Wax undercoatings will not dissipate water or moisture but, THEY WILL MOST LIKELY trap the water or moisture where it is, CAUSING PERFERATION down the road.

Finally....When is the BEST TIME to get your car oilsprayed? A.S.A.P. Why? Because Like I mentioned in my earlier post; All areas not treated at the factory will begin to oxidize i.e; RUST almost immediately.

So please don\'t get suckered in by these dealers and if you plan on keeping your vehicle past the warranty period get it oilsprayed, its the only tried and true method, it really works, its much cheaper than the other methods and it will keep the value of your vehicles.

Thanks for listening.:D

I\'m done.

_3

Krakilin
05-30-2005, 02:14 AM
I have to disagree with most people here, rust proofing undercoat is not neccessary for modern cars. Cars are rust proof, it doesn\'t look very good on a company if their cars starts to rust after a few years. THOUGH, with salt involved in the winter, you should wash your car anyway in the winter.

yeroc
06-03-2005, 02:41 PM
I just got the Krown rust proofing from Queensway Krown (west of Kipling), not too concerned about drilling holes etc. Was in and out in under an hour. cost $127 with tax.

I declined all the dealer rust protection not thinking I would need it but after a few weeks driving I started noticing some oxidation starting on the tie rod ends and other parts visible through the rim. I decided to go to Krown, for the price It\'s worth the peace of mind knowing my new car is getting treated right.

In my experience with cars these days (within the last 10 years or so) is that the body panels hold up pretty good, the main problem I\'ve had is with the undercarriage getting rusted completely out. I had a 89 Camry where the strut mount and suspension on the left side were basically free hanging due to rust. Another car was a 96 Hyundai Elantra that has considerable rust underneath but the body still looks OK. I bought both these car used and I\'m sure they were never rust proofed.

Krown seems to be pretty up front with what they do, they assured me that it does not void the warranty and will not plug drain holes. Watch your step if your are walking around the garage though!!!!
http://www.in2orbit.net/pichost/mzdavtr.gif

elevin
06-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Black3

i used to work right next door to Krown rust, i heard many people compliment thier work and also have been told by many poeple it is the best option.
be prepared they will drill holes in the rocker panels and inside doors/trunks.
the cap them off when they finish the work. they use attachments to go the length of the body panels.
i have no problem using them.
about $100 bucks a year or so, depending on your vehicle.

I have also heard good stuff about Krown.. but doesn\'t the drilling void the warranty? when i bought my 3 sport yesterday, the manager guy told me that all cosmetics changes will NOT void the warranty.. but anything to the mechanical/engineering WILL void the warranty.

so is drilling holes just cosmetic?

the guy so \"nicely\" offered to do rustproofing and paint sealant at the dealer for the \"special\" price of $1,000. (he says it\'s regularly $1,200).. i almost laughed. but i held it in.

Jeff-TheBiz
06-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Drilling will void the warranty in the area of the holes..

And chances are if rust develops, they will send you back to the dealership, where the dealership will tell you that it isnt covered because they drilled the holes.

Obviously the dealership will tend to cost more than aftermarket but normally it is a tech that does the application and he only does Mazda.
Better to pay someone more that knows more...

But dont get robbed.. normally the Rust is the most important and will be between $599 and $750.

As for paint, fabric etc.. Canadian Tire sells the same stuff..

my opinion. :sarc

Should also mention that with oil spraying, if the window motor or actuator (sp?) in the door goes and it is covered with oil when inspected Mazda or any other manufactor is reluctant to cover it.

My favourite with oil is the outline you find on your driveway for the next 4 weeks.. :D

nifty6
06-04-2005, 11:35 AM

Drilling is a big no-no!! That\'s why I would avoid Krown. So what they\'re going to do is drill into the panels which will one day end up rusting as a result of the drilling. Sounds to me like they want you to come back in the future. At the dealer there is no drilling just spraying the necessary components like under the hood, inside door panels, trunk, engine bay and in the wheel wells.

Why is drilling a big no-no??? Will NOT effect your warranty, I don\'t want a waxy goo in my engine bay, trunk, etc. and yes they want you to go back once a year so thats the reason for the holes, to reapply the oil, in fact you can go back once every 2 years if you want. I do with no problems, see my other posts here on this subject. I am not saying the wax application is bad but there are better alternatives.
In the wheel wells might be a good idea for sound absorbing.

Flagrum_3
06-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by TheBiz

Drilling will void the warranty in the area of the holes..

And chances are if rust develops, they will send you back to the dealership, where the dealership will tell you that it isnt covered because they drilled the holes.

Obviously the dealership will tend to cost more than aftermarket but normally it is a tech that does the application and he only does Mazda.
Better to pay someone more that knows more...

But dont get robbed.. normally the Rust is the most important and will be between $599 and $750.

As for paint, fabric etc.. Canadian Tire sells the same stuff..

my opinion. :sarc

Should also mention that with oil spraying, if the window motor or actuator (sp?) in the door goes and it is covered with oil when inspected Mazda or any other manufactor is reluctant to cover it.

My favourite with oil is the outline you find on your driveway for the next 4 weeks.. :D

Hey Biz, How ya doin?

Too the points here 1. Drilling holes will not cause rusting. I know this for a fact as I know several people who have older vehicles (a couple @ 30yrs) which have been done by Krown and no rust what so ever,no problems with any electric motors at all which brings me to my second point;
2.When the dealer has vehicles sprayed with thier wax spray they undoubtably spray the inside of the doors also hitting the window motors.What happens in that situation if the a motor fails?

The Mazda warranty is for only 3yrs for most,( covering electronics, )and the Mazda body warranty is only 5 yrs.Spraying at Krown is for those who are thinking long term (10-12 years or more).
If you only plan on keeping your vehicle for only 5 years don\'t spray it or undercoat it at all...who cares! It\'s covered by Mazda, but only for perferation as I mentioned in my earlier post Note: NO other type of rusting is covered.

Oh and Krown does also have its own warranty which lasts as long as you own your vehicles with regular yearly spraying.Which will take you to 6 yrs to match the dealer price.

And the cars will drip oil obviously,but only for a few days....big deal use cardboard underneath if your worried about anything.

Just my 2 cents worth.

_3

nifty6
06-04-2005, 01:26 PM
OK my 2 and a half cents worth..
here is a few sites about rust proofing,

http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.honda/message/39264.html
http://www.krown.com
http://mcconvillesgarage.com/krown.html

the first one is a guy who did the rust proofing himself on his RSX
search for \"rust proofing\" and you will get tons of info.
trying to find a consumer site that might have tested the different applications used on cars for rust proofing. If I find one I will post it here..

Ron

nifty6
06-04-2005, 01:29 PM

trying to find a consumer site that might have tested the different applications used on cars for rust proofing. If I find one I will post it here..

Ron

The first and third did not come up, will redo them later,sorry

nifty6
06-04-2005, 09:25 PM

Ron

OK lets try this again, just some insight into rust proofing

http://tinyurl.com/ahh93
http;//tinyurl.com/78ulm

nifty6
06-04-2005, 09:27 PM

Ron

OK lets try this again, just some insight into rust proofing

http://tinyurl.com/ahh93
http;//tinyurl.com/78ulm

ok my last try some days for some reason doesn\'t work out
http://tinyurl.com/78ulm