PDA

View Full Version : Eibach or H&R Springs

bluntman
05-18-2004, 10:31 AM
I\'m just curious to see which one people would prefer (all things being equal): Eibach or H&R springs? I\'d also like to know why you chose that one over the other.

bluntman
05-18-2004, 01:37 PM
I just got a quote for both of these spring kits from Extreme Wheel & Tire. The H&R set is $445 while the Eibach set is $399. Both will be available up here in about 4 weeks and both offer the same drop in stance and both are progressive spring rates.

I was always under the impression that Eibach was made in Germany, but surprisingly, not anymore, they\'re made in the US.

Nex
05-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by bluntman

I\'m just curious to see which one people would prefer (all things being equal): Eibach or H&R springs? I\'d also like to know why you chose that one over the other.

Well, I don\'t have either of these springs on the 3, but I\'ve had them on my prelude and accord. Eibach Prokits are usually more ride friendly. Their spring rate are not as high as the H&R\'s hence why they advertise that it\'s safe for stock struts. H&R on the other hand is stiffer than the eibach and I would recommend changing to aftermarket struts if possible for these cause they will wear your stock shocks down much quicker. So it all depends on what you\'re looking for. If you want the look of a lowered car without breaking your back, then get the Eibach. If you want the lowered car and want stiffer suspension for tracking, then ge the H&R. Both are very reputable companies and will probably outlast your car, so no worries in terms of quality in either.

dredd2099
06-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Nex
Eibach Prokits are usually more ride friendly. Their spring rate are not as high as the H&R\'s hence why they advertise that it\'s safe for stock struts. H&R on the other hand is stiffer than the eibach and I would recommend changing to aftermarket struts if possible for these cause they will wear your stock shocks down much quicker. So it all depends on what you\'re looking for. If you want the look of a lowered car without breaking your back, then get the Eibach. If you want the lowered car and want stiffer suspension for tracking, then ge the H&R. Both are very reputable companies and will probably outlast your car, so no worries in terms of quality in either.

2nd that
couldnt have said it better

FLIPDADY
07-13-2004, 10:39 AM
I\'ve had both of these companies springs on my Honda. Eibach is more for \"the look\" IMO. While the H & R race spirngs are strictly for handling and track. I\'d stick with H & R.

MajesticBlueNTO
07-13-2004, 11:34 AM
looks like things are different in the honda world with regards to springs as Eibach Pro-Kits were stiffer than H&R Sports for the Maxima.

this shouldn\'t be taken as gospel as how the springs will be for the 3, but here\'s a review of different springs on a Maxima (3rd, 4th, and 5th gen) (http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaSprings)

FLIPDADY
07-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Hey Arthur, that price for the springs was that with installation?

bluntman
07-16-2004, 07:55 PM
I don\'t think they included installation, honestly I don\'t remember. I\'ve scratched these off of my \"To Get\" list because I like how my car looks as it is. I think I\'ll just get heated seats instead.

dredd2099
07-21-2004, 12:12 AM
heated seats sir?
u getting soft on us?
hehehehehe

bluntman
07-21-2004, 11:09 AM
It\'s a tough choice, either an aching back or a warm ass. :D

profusion
11-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Depends on what you want.

For traction & track racing H&R is the way to go.

For Road rating & comfort (for a lowering spring ). Eibach is for you.

If I go low I my aswell get the extra performance out of it because no mater what lowering spring you get the ride will be not the same as stock. Id go H&R.

Airman Jack
11-04-2004, 10:08 AM
if someone is looking to improve their track performance, would it be wise to start with strut and sway bars (a la Progress) first and THEN see if they want to go so far as lowering the suspension?

///M
11-05-2004, 12:39 AM
What about AutoExe springs? :D

mEtH
11-05-2004, 12:52 PM
I\'d say go with the eibach\'s if you can\'t wait. I personally am waiting for a full suspension, shocks and coils. If you are worried about ride quality then that\'s what you\'ll want as well. Although I have be in a matrix with the pro-kits and it felt pretty good. Not bouncey but not too firm either that you feel every bump.

and regarding autoexe springs, $645 CDN for springs alone is ridiculous then you got install on top of that. I\'d be saving that cash for a full suspension. Also I thought I read somewhere that they were also produced by H&R or something.

///M
11-05-2004, 05:08 PM
I don\'t regret my choice, but I would\'ve gone with the H&R springs if they had them earlier. When I got mine, only Eibach, Progress and AutoExe were on the market. I didn\'t really like Eibach and Progress so I went with the AutoExe.

MazdaTree
11-05-2004, 11:39 PM
how much did you guys pay for the spring install?

///M
11-06-2004, 12:03 AM
$170 for install at SpeedStarsAuto (www.speedstarsauto.com) (not SpeedStar)

s_h_a_o_l_i_n
11-18-2004, 05:58 PM
What\'s the drop on H&R springs? and Auto Exe springs? And are they linear or progressive?

///M
11-18-2004, 10:03 PM
I\'ve heard that AutoExe and H&R springs are the same thing (i.e. AutoExe springs are made by H&R), but I can\'t confirm it.

Either way, H&R is probably the best deal out there right now. The drop should be about ~1.5\' after it settles in.

s_h_a_o_l_i_n
11-19-2004, 10:09 AM
how\'s 1.5\" for the snow autoexe?well i guess I shouldn\'t be asking until it snows...

wtom
11-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Hey welcome to TM3, s_h_a_o_l_i_n, glad you found us (I take it from M3F) :)

Since our 3\'s already a low-profile car, dropping it another 1.5\" will be VERY nice with the drawback of having to be extra careful in Toronto and the GTA. Some pot holes are deep, some railway crossings are bulged upwards (meaning POSSIBLE scraping if you\'re not careful) and speed bumps are hell.

Also another thing to be careful of; CURBS... I\'m on stock suspension but some curbs are so freaking tall, my gf almost (accidentally) scrapped the door against it if she wasn\'t careful.

So with snow ... if you live \"deep\" within a residential area, you may become a partial snow plow. That\'s assuming the plows only work from highways to small streets, if any, in that order (ie. highway, main roads, residential roads and industrial roads connected to main roads, etc.)

I know some ppl who just swap the lowering springs out during winter and go back to stock set up with winter tires. Smart thing to do but the $ cost adds up. Either that or higher chance of scraping your car bottom on ice boulders.

EDIT: Spelling

///M
11-19-2004, 11:09 PM
I don\'t find the stock 3 low at all. If anything, it sits rather high IMO. The ride height alone is higher than a P5.

You won\'t have any problems so long as you\'re careful around driveways (only really the steep ones) and curbs. I have never had any problems with bumps - just go slow and you\'ll be fine.

s_h_a_o_l_i_n
11-22-2004, 02:09 AM
thanks wtom! yea that\'s where i found this site. well I guess i better ask around during winter so see whether guys are having problems with lowered cars. the thing is i goto skool in waterloo where there\'s a significantly larger amt of snow lying around during winter. but I think I have the H&R springs in mind for now.

car_demon
01-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Becareful of the Eibach Pro-kit! The Q.A. for those produced out of the U.S.A. have reports of forever settling spring heights. When this happens, your tires toe-in and you\'ll need camber correction kits. Coming from the TPC Board I can assure you of this amongst many members.

H&R was the pioneer of lowering springs and the first to get ISO and TUV approved. Both companies out of German production plants are amazing with their R&D, and racing heritage. Check out http://www.hrsprings.com and read the manufacturing processs.

The H&R Sport is different than the H&R OEM Sport and the H&R Race. H&R Sport which I think everyone is referring to usually drops 1.3\"-1.4\" on most car applications which is good enough and they ride with a nice progressive rate. The harder you push them the firmer they respond approximately 25-40% stiffer than OEM applications. AND THEY DON\'T HAVE REPORTS OF SAGGING AS I\'VE SEEN AND HEARD BY EIBACH OWNERS. The Eibachs prokit will jarr your dental fillings loose.

The H&R Sport is just the right medium to choose for everyday driving and the spirited demon that comes up witin us now and then. My TOC club has seen a trend in the TEIN brand. Japanese engineering must count for something.

wtom
01-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by car_demon

H&R Sport which I think everyone is referring to usually drops 1.3\"-1.4\" on most car applications which is good enough and they ride with a nice progressive rate. The harder you push them the firmer they respond approximately 25-40% stiffer than OEM applications. AND THEY DON\'T HAVE REPORTS OF SAGGING AS I\'VE SEEN AND HEARD BY EIBACH OWNERS.

Would that static drop of 1.3\" - 1.4\" do much harm to the shocks? I\'m so damn tempted to drop my car but the consequences and extra cautiousness when driving pull me back from doing so... that and I don\'t want to spend extra money to install new shocks later.

I still take it even with your above quoted, that it is much better to just get the springs AND shocks (whenever they come out) together and install together, right?

FLIPDADY
01-25-2005, 01:14 PM
I would save up the $$ and do the whole setup. The stock shocks are made by FoMoCo(Ford Motor Company). I don\'t know how well our stock dampers hold up to drop springs.

///M
01-25-2005, 02:30 PM
^ how much do the stock dampers cost anyway?

I\'m still waiting on Tein Basic...if I hold out for another year or so I might need new front dampers.

///M
01-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by wtom

Originally posted by car_demon

H&R Sport which I think everyone is referring to usually drops 1.3\"-1.4\" on most car applications which is good enough and they ride with a nice progressive rate. The harder you push them the firmer they respond approximately 25-40% stiffer than OEM applications. AND THEY DON\'T HAVE REPORTS OF SAGGING AS I\'VE SEEN AND HEARD BY EIBACH OWNERS.

Would that static drop of 1.3\" - 1.4\" do much harm to the shocks? I\'m so damn tempted to drop my car but the consequences and extra cautiousness when driving pull me back from doing so... that and I don\'t want to spend extra money to install new shocks later.

I still take it even with your above quoted, that it is much better to just get the springs AND shocks (whenever they come out) together and install together, right?

Get coilovers. Tein Basic is coming out soon. Should be less than $1000. And it\'s height adjustable so you can raise it for winter.

FLIPDADY
01-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Stock dampers cost $135 each for the fronts and $100 each for the rears.

I\'d definately wait for the Tein\'s.

wtom
01-25-2005, 04:38 PM
Ah crap, now you two got me diving into the interest pool;

http://www.tein.com/ti/m66.html

drooling...

///M
01-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Stock dampers cost $135 each for the fronts and $100 each for the rears.

I\'d definately wait for the Tein\'s.

Suprisingly cheap...I was expecting them to be closer to at least $200 each.

car_demon
01-26-2005, 09:02 AM
The lovely thing about H&R Sports is that it is designed and engineered to go with your OEM set-up. Anything else with your shocks/struts upgrade is a bonus. Don\'t anyone be fooled though. Any lowering spring will cause some pre-mature wear like 8000km or so pre-mature before you OEM ones would have worn out?

I think one should consider where they drive 90% of the time and what look are they going for? Is it more fashion than function? A 1.4 to 1.3 inch drop is not that drastic. It is when you go 1.5\" and lower that you have to worry. I live out in suburbia Brampton/Mississauga where roads are friggin smoooth. Downtown peeps should forget about that shit.

What I loved about my H&R\'s is that I can load my car up with 4 people all over 200lbs(myself included at 230lbs+; have my dual 10\" bandpass in the trunk with amp weighing 80lbs, and my tires DO NOT RUB AT ALL ON THE CHASIS. The suspension under heavier weight gets progressively firmer.

What I love even more when I\'m alone driving is taking left hand turns at 85km/hr+ under summer dry conditions and hearing the tires chirp and the chasis is tight and controlled. When the tires do break a little loose the car does not go into understeer, but all 4 tires drift controlably until I easy up on the throttle and correct the steering.

car_demon
01-26-2005, 09:13 AM
My H&R\'s on my P5 (http://public.fotki.com/cardemon/rides__tings/)

Oh yeah, the M3 ground clearance is 145mm compared to P5\'s 140mm. The ASS END OF THE M3 need to come down. And yeah a modes 1.3-1.4\" drop should not make a difference in the winter. It is the the drops that are 1.5 to 2.0\" that are the hazarrd in general. I run mine in the winter.

Coilover are alright if you have the cash to buy good ones in and around the $1200 mark and above. VEry few companies can match the variable spring rate of the various heights of extreme slam and everything inbetween. Also watch the salt corrision of the threads on coils!

The TPC Board is full of CLUNK STORIES, bottoming out stories from various manufactures of coilovers. A modest drop spring of anykind is the best set-up as it is pre-set to handle.
As the after market catches up I think you guys should be alright in choices.

What about Jic-Magic Coils, H&R coils set out yet?, Ground Controls, B.G, stay away from Toms MotorSport.

Whos ur dadd
01-26-2005, 11:02 AM
I read on the Mazda6 forums that people were having sagging problems (over time) with the H&Rs. Didn\'t seem to be any issues with the Eibachs. FWIW.

///M
01-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by wtom

Ah crap, now you two got me diving into the interest pool;

http://www.tein.com/ti/m66.html

drooling...

This is what I got from Tein regarding their Basic kit:

To whom it may concern,
That kit is currently in development and unfortunately has no confirmed
release date or MSRP as of yet. Development is time consuming and extensive
as each vehicle and kit goes through multiple road tests to determine the
best performance and comfort. Please occasionally check back on our website
in the near future for the most up to date information. Thank you for your
interest in TEIN High Performance Suspension Products.
Best regards,
Sales

Staff @ TEIN USA INC.
9798 Firestone Blvd.
Downey, CA 90241
Phone: (562)861-9161
Fax: (562)861-9171
www.tein.com

car_demon
01-26-2005, 09:42 PM
CAR-Review Dot Com (http://www.carreview.com/parts/suspension/springs/PLS_1581crx.aspx)
The website above is a common man\'s review site which gives you the word on the curb from actual consumers. This website reviews everything from exhausts, springs, cars, struts etc.

Beware though, some people have mixed up H&R Sport with the H&R OE Sport and have written up their review in the wrong columns. (Two different applications). The Eibach ProKit is there too along with many others from A-Z. I just found out that the majority of reports have the Eibach Pro-kit known as the forever settling spring with a harsher ride on stock shocks. The H&R\'s were more forgiving. I have rode in others cars with Eibach and it is harsh and when wieghed down, there are rubbing issues. MAKE SURE YOUR EIBACHS COME FROM GERMANY.

TheProfessor
03-31-2005, 01:37 PM
I\'m gonna bring back this thread from the dead and chip in my two cents:

I too have had both Eibach Sportline and H&R Sport springs on previous cars. First thing, Eibach springs can be made in Germany or in the USA. I had the German ones which are supposedly better. In a nutshell, I hated the Eibachs. I found the ride to be bouncy, with a lot of fitment issues (ie. knocking sounds), plus they sagged way more. The H&R\'s were a dream. They firmed up the ride, but not to a point of uncomfortableness. I had them on my last civic for four years and never needed to change the stock struts.

If I ever decide to lower my 6 (still debating), it will be without a doubt using H&R springs.

car_demon
03-31-2005, 07:11 PM
Dave Wood Mazda had an awesome pic of a Mazda6 GT lowered with H&R and it looked sexy. Any lower and it would be an everyday driving chore and issue with the lovelyGFX package. I respect Eibach out of Germany but there are too many isolated reports of forever sagging spring and ride quality surprise issues, despite the sexier stance over the more conservative H&R stance. But at the end of the day I will swear by H&R and it will grace whatever I buy next.

Geologic
04-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Where\'s a good local dealer in the GTA where I can pick up the eibach pro kit? I could get em off eBay but with shipping and customs it\'d probably be more so Im\' checking out prices.

mEtH
05-01-2005, 02:20 AM
cvr ships their pro-kits within canada so you wont get raped in duties. check out their website.

bubba1983
05-01-2005, 04:49 PM
^^ they have been hit and miss with that recently, been denoted as \"smugging\" across the border, heheheh

Flagrum_3
05-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Hi Guys,

I\'ve got a question for anyone who has lowered thier car.(springs or coilovers)
Did you have any problems, I mean space between tires and wheel wells/fenders, when switching to winter rims and tires in the winter?
I would assume if you went form 17 inch rims to 16 inch it should\'nt have been a problem.

Much appreciated.

Ron