PDA

View Full Version : Rotor gooves

sw0rdfish
05-21-2004, 02:21 AM
Well my uncle is way into cars, and when he saw my breaks he was like \"wow!\" I was showing him the break dust these bitches give off, and he freaked when he saw the amount of grooving on my rotors [ I\'ll take a picture of it tomorrow or Monday when I get home ] anyone else having a problem with their breaks like this? Is it even a problem? Maybe we should be making a stink about this if it\'s that big of a problem.

I\'ve read a few threads about it on M3F, just wondering what you all thought, and how your breaks are.

M Cube
05-21-2004, 07:08 AM
Hi sw0rdfish,
I have a 3 Sport GT, and the built date was 12/03.
My rear brakes are giving massive brake dust also, and I am getting a little p*ss off about that........cuz it\'s covered with brake dust 2 days after I\'ve washed it.......and I noticed some other 3\'s on the road are having the same problem (Rear rims are darker then fronts) I heard from owners from M3f in Ontario that you can bring it back to Mazda dealership and they will replace the rear brake pads for you (warranty). And I heard that 2 of the guys brought it back to Avante Mazda, and their mechanic are well aware of the problem and will replace them for you pending on parts availability......
I am planning to have them replace on my first service (due in August)

sw0rdfish
05-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by M Cube

Hi sw0rdfish,
I have a 3 Sport GT, and the built date was 12/03.
My rear brakes are giving massive brake dust also, and I am getting a little p*ss off about that........cuz it\'s covered with brake dust 2 days after I\'ve washed it.......and I noticed some other 3\'s on the road are having the same problem (Rear rims are darker then fronts) I heard from owners from M3f in Ontario that you can bring it back to Mazda dealership and they will replace the rear brake pads for you (warranty). And I heard that 2 of the guys brought it back to Avante Mazda, and their mechanic are well aware of the problem and will replace them for you pending on parts availability......
I am planning to have them replace on my first service (due in August)

Does the build date matter on this? Iv\'e got a 01/04 build date. Is the grooving the problem, or just the break dust? I doubt Erin Mills Mazda will be so kind, I\'ll try Oakville Mazda, the Service manager there was a nice guy, he just didn\'t like my Jetta enough, so I had to go to Erin Mills.

M Cube
05-21-2004, 01:41 PM
you can take a look @ this topic I post in M3f.........

Click here (http://mazda3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5508)

M Cube
05-21-2004, 01:49 PM
I think \"Bluntman\" from this board is the one that got that fixed by Avante Mazda of Toronto, I will try to see if I can PM him for more info on that........:)

Xenon
05-21-2004, 06:40 PM
My front left rotor is beginning to groove. My service department at Erin Mills Mazda will be swapping it out later next week.

I too am getting a lot of brake dust on my rims. My rims require near-daily cleaning to keep them pretty. There is more brake dust on the rear rims than the front ones.

MZ3GFX
06-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Here is some info on the Grooves ISSUE!!!!!

GROOVES IN BRAKE ROTORS
Applicable Models
Model Starting S/N Ending S/N
2004 MAZDA3 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ

Some vehicles may exhibit grooves in either the front or rear brake rotors. This condition may be caused by a special coating used to prevent rust of the rotors during storage of parts. Replace pads with new parts. Machine rotors to remove the grooves. If grooves are too deep and cannot be machined, replace with new rotors. The new rotors will have the anti-rust coating which must be removed.

Obtain 3M Scotch-Brite Roloc 2\" discs (or equivalent). Insert disc intoa die grinder or power driver and operate at a maximum 2000 RPM. Use light pressure and a back and forth motion to remove coating. Becareful not to remove any material from the rotor.
NOTE: This is a temporary repair only.
Please continue checking ESI for current repair procedures.

Here is the website: http://web2.airmail.net/theman/protegefaq/tsb/

canada3
06-23-2004, 06:25 PM
my build date is 12/03 and I havent had any problems...as far as I have heard it was the first batch of cars that had the problem.....whne I ordered it mine it was part of the second shipment coming to north america along with the I have never had the airbag sensor problem....

unless they fixed it at the dealer because they had the car for about 1 week before they would give it to me...they kept saying we had to get it ready......what bang the secretary in it?

Xenon
06-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Xenon

My front left rotor is beginning to groove. My service department at Erin Mills Mazda will be swapping it out later next week.

The swap never happened for a few reasons...

1. The guy at Erin Mills Service who was supposed to get me the swap quit.
2. My groove seem to have dissappeared anyways.

wtom
07-28-2004, 10:14 AM
I have two grooves in my front passenger rotor. I can feel/hear an odd sound when I\'m braking to almost a complete stop coming from that wheel/brake. Kind of like metal on metal... :(

I\'ve already booked a service appt and will report back here once I get feedback. :)

Newlook
07-28-2004, 12:05 PM
After 4000km my gooves are pretty much gone.

wtom
07-28-2004, 12:30 PM
I\'m just worried there really is something stuck in the brake pad now... and it won\'t fall out, causing it to \"forever\" scratch the rotor... :(

Maybe I\'m be just being paranoid... :p

Xenon
07-28-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by wtom

I\'m just worried there really is something stuck in the brake pad now... and it won\'t fall out, causing it to \"forever\" scratch the rotor... :(

My groove dissappeard at about the 5000 KM mark.

Soulcrusher
07-28-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by wtom

LOLZ! From another post I was just reading, paranoia might be your thing! :p

j/k buddy ... once you have a new baby, you just worry about every little thing and that\'s quite understandable.

civiclad
07-29-2004, 09:50 AM
I had grooving on my rear rotors and also on my front right rotor. Morningside Mazda replaced the 2 rear rotors. Now no grooving from the rear. The front groowing is no longer noticable.
Only thing that I don\'t really like about the brakes is they are a bit SOFT. And also the brake dust on the rear wheels....I can just imagine what it will be like during the winter months when you can\'t get to wash your car too often.

Richard

fat mike
07-29-2004, 12:44 PM
I had Brake groving issues as well. 3 Out of my 4 discs were groving very badly. I took it into the dealership and they machined them down tested the car and said that iot still didnt feel correct so they replaced all 4 or my discs. I havent had the problem since.

miggiddy
09-03-2004, 08:19 PM
Had the rear rotors machined and pads replaced so it seems better (braking feels smoother). Hopefully these new pads will produce less dust then the original ones as well.