PDA

View Full Version : hard to start

agha
12-28-2013, 08:12 PM
My car is Mazda3 2004 2.0l. I have problem about the car, which is hard to start. There is no any error codes showing up from scanner.
After sitting for long time, car needs long crank time to start such as 3-4 seconds, also it needs throttle. After turning off the car, immediately i can make the car started like a normal car.
After i cleaning Maf and changing spurk plugs and adding fuel cleaner, hestitation is nearly gone, also cranking time is smaller. But it is not still like a normal car.
My mechanic measured fuel pressure 31.6 psi, which is not so far than expected value, 36psi. Reason seems fuel pressure, filter or regulator.
Also, i saw coolant temperature is 167F at idle when engine being warm. Ambient temp is 5F, I think that thermostat is misfiring. But, this is not reason for starting
i am open to discuss

Jackal
12-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Sounds like you may need a new battery. Or there is a drain on the battery when you let it sit for a while. How new is the battery? Do you have a remote starter, audio, or other that might be draining the battery?

agha
12-28-2013, 08:19 PM
But, as gas tank is empty, engine doesnt start easily even when warm.

agha
12-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Before starting, key is on about 2-3seconds. Then key is off about 2-3 seconds. I will repeat this 3-4 times. Car starts perfectly.

Jackal
12-28-2013, 09:03 PM
But, as gas tank is empty, engine doesnt start easily even when warm.

Maybe because the gas tank is empty. Lol.

agha
12-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Maybe because the gas tank is empty. Lol.
i dont mean that, car starts harder when gas tank has 1/4 gasoline compared to gas tank being full.

Hotsky
12-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Check the battery voltage. Mine car is an '05 with original battery and it reads about 14.5v. no issues starting btw

stock3
12-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Before starting, key is on about 2-3seconds. Then key is off about 2-3 seconds. I will repeat this 3-4 times. Car starts perfectly.

It's the fuel pump or the fuel filter is clogged. In any case, since the fuel filter is integral to the fuel pump, you will need a new pump.
By turning the ignition to ON few times before starting, you prime the pump for few seconds and pressurize the fuel system, that is why the car starts easier. Your pump simply cannot provide adequate pressure for a smooth start, as indicated by your below minimum fuel pressure.

agha
12-29-2013, 03:38 PM
It's the fuel pump or the fuel filter is clogged. In any case, since the fuel filter is integral to the fuel pump, you will need a new pump.
By turning the ignition to ON few times before starting, you prime the pump for few seconds and pressurize the fuel system, that is why the car starts easier. Your pump simply cannot provide adequate pressure for a smooth start, as indicated by your below minimum fuel pressure.

Is hard to start problem exactly going from fuel pump, regulator or filter?
if so, how can i control fuel filter?

agha
12-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Check the battery voltage. Mine car is an '05 with original battery and it reads about 14.5v. no issues starting btw

Battery is purely 11 months old.

agha
12-29-2013, 05:23 PM
But, I have seen 2 different service reports about fuel pressure. One of them says that hold pressure after 5 m. should be 29 psi least. Another says 36.2 psi. I am conflused.

stock3
12-30-2013, 08:28 AM
But, I have seen 2 different service reports about fuel pressure. One of them says that hold pressure after 5 m. should be 29 psi least. Another says 36.2 psi. I am conflused.

That sounds really low, perhaps those are the bare minimum figures to ensure engine will be running, but can cause other symptoms like hard starting. I don't know exact psi range for mazda 3 (would have to check the service manual for that), but generally speaking the fuel pressure ranges between 40-60 psi for most passenger gasoline cars.

agha
01-01-2014, 05:48 PM
torque pro, which is ODB II snanner, found error od P0661!
Can you help me?

Canadianbacon
01-01-2014, 07:43 PM
torque pro, which is ODB II snanner, found error od P0661!
Can you help me?

http://engine-codes.com/p0661_mazda.html

agha
01-01-2014, 09:46 PM
http://engine-codes.com/p0661_mazda.html

Can that cause hard to start problem?
Also, i couldnt find variable air intake valve from any seller.

agha
01-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Can that cause hard to start problem? Also, i couldnt find variable air intake from any sellers.

TheMAN
01-02-2014, 01:34 AM
bad fuel pump
common 04 problem
http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/01-013-05.html

special tool required to replace remove the pump from the tank... tank must be dropped from the car to replace fuel pump (thanks ford!)
http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/01-029-04.html
may require a dealer visit unless your mechanic has the tool

agha
01-04-2014, 08:12 PM
I replaced varible air intake valve. So, P0061 is gone. But, i have still same problem. While engine is cranking, I have to press on gas pedal to make car start. Spark plugs and battery are new

sarujo
01-04-2014, 08:31 PM
TheMAN already told you in the post above the problem is with your fuel pump.

I replaced varible air intake valve. So, P0061 is gone. But, i have still same problem. While engine is cranking, I have to press on gas pedal to make car start. Spark plugs and battery are new

agha
01-04-2014, 09:20 PM
my car was checked by a profeesional car care. They said me problem was going from fuel pressure, also measured fuel pressure 31.6 psi. I didnt trust them, so I have taken car other shop. They measured pressure 50 psi. I am so confused
I have an question. Doesn't pressing gas pedal mean lack of air?
If fuel pump is truly bad, then why do i have to press gas pedal to make car start? please explain because urgently i need help.

agha
01-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Also, there is strong smell of a gas in car for a while.

TheMAN
01-05-2014, 07:02 AM
problem is intermittent, so that's why you got different readings from both shops.... THIS IS A COMMON PROBLEM
don't be a doubter because this was an officially documented problem after many people before you experienced the same problem 10 years ago... service bulletins are published to save dealership mechanics time from tracking down weird problems

replace the fuel pump and it'll go away
you can also replace the fuel pump relay as it's also common for it to get frozen when it's really cold outside like these past couple of days
http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/01-007-06.html

stock3
01-05-2014, 08:44 AM
my car was checked by a profeesional car care. They said me problem was going from fuel pressure, also measured fuel pressure 31.6 psi. I didnt trust them, so I have taken car other shop. They measured pressure 50 psi. I am so confused
I have an question. Doesn't pressing gas pedal mean lack of air?
If fuel pump is truly bad, then why do i have to press gas pedal to make car start? please explain because urgently i need help.

If you have a strong smell of gas after a start then it could be a leaky fuel injector and you essentially have a flooded cylinder. This can also cause a hard start.
Having said that, you got some good tips in this post, yet you refuse to do anything about it and expect that someone will diagnose this for you over the internet. It ain't gonna happen. Without actually seeing the symptoms ourselves, we can only provide you with educated guesses.

I suggest you find another "professional" to resolve this issue, because posting on the internet will not fix the issue. And if you think that you will tell the mechanic what's wrong with the car based on the responses in this thread, good luck. Mechanics hate when people tell them what's wrong with their cars.

Jackal
01-05-2014, 09:46 AM
Hey agha,
These two guys helping you really know what they are talking about. If you live within 45 minutes of Street Performance I recommend you give him a call and get him to diagnose your hard start problem. Sounds to me like fuel pump from their diagnosis.
Jimmy 1 (416) 450-6161
Or PM these guys and get them to help you at their garages. They may be closer.

agha
01-13-2014, 01:21 PM
Thank you all for helping. I have bad fuel pump. Actually, there is leakage on hose in fuel pump. Unlike VIN number, I see my car has cali. emisssion. I was surprised because i dropped tank and the top of fuel pump has metal case, just like fuel pump with cal. emis.
Was my car modified early?
Is it possible to change from federal emis. to california emis?
Please help me

agha
01-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Also, how can i find an used fule pump with california emission?

TheMAN
01-13-2014, 09:02 PM
no canadian spec vehicle has california emissions
california emission cars are US only and only sold in NY, new jersey, california to name a few

sarujo
01-15-2014, 06:50 PM
^ sounds like he has a US vehicle according to TheMAN

agha
01-15-2014, 07:04 PM
I am very unlucky!. I bought an used fuel pump from Aftermarket. Hard start is gone. But, i have P0463 error code, which is Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input :(
Although i put gasoline in tank, fuel gauge shows empty!

TheMAN
01-15-2014, 08:27 PM
the fuel sending unit is bad OR MISSING
why don't you swap it with the old one?

agha
01-15-2014, 09:09 PM

how? Please explain...

agha
01-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Do i have to change fuel pump again?

agha
01-15-2014, 09:58 PM
Do i have to take out fuel pump of tank?

TheMAN
01-16-2014, 12:00 AM
yes you have to remove the pump to replace the fuel sending unit
it is attached to the pump assembly

show me a pic of your old pump and I'll tell you what it is

JeaneR
01-21-2014, 12:26 PM
either your battery or pump is shitting out on ya, crank the key a couple times before starting, load up the pumperz

agha
01-23-2014, 02:15 PM
I have bought a new fuel pump. I have no problem after stopping car within 2-3 hours.But, i have hard starting problem when i start car on the morning. I park my car in street. I had battery test. Battery is very good. I suspect ignition coil or coolant temperature sensor. Because they have temperature features.

agha
01-23-2014, 11:52 PM
Weather temperature is about -20C. Car cranks slowly after sitting for 15-20 hours when the wheather is very cold. So, i suspect starter and Battery. But, Battery was tested. Battery voltage is 12.78 V when the engine is off

TheMAN
01-25-2014, 12:21 AM
dude, any car is going to crank slowly in -20... however, a bad fuel pump will cause the engine to crank excessively long before it starts
your fuel pump fixed your issue, so the rest is now normal

if you still suspect your pump is bad: is it a pump from mazda or somewhere else?

agha
01-25-2014, 08:27 PM
dude, any car is going to crank slowly in -20... however, a bad fuel pump will cause the engine to crank excessively long before it starts
your fuel pump fixed your issue, so the rest is now normal

if you still suspect your pump is bad: is it a pump from mazda or somewhere else?

Thank you for helping. You are perfectly right. I changed old fuel pump with new one from Airtex. Excessively hard starting is gone:)
I have forgotten battery discharged because of cold. Actually, my battery is fully charged. The battery was checked and its voltage was 12.78V in open circuit. The ambient temperature is mean -15C. Usually i start my car when heating is on. So, Starter cranks slowly. When i turn the heating off before starting car, Car starts in 1-2 seconds after just sitting for long time such as 15-20 hours :)
After sitting for 3-4 hours, the car starts immediately even when heating is on
At idling, battery voltage at start being 13.3V jumps 14.5V :)