PDA

View Full Version : Rustproofing

wtom
06-04-2004, 03:41 PM
Hi all,

This kind of stems from another thread in the Buying section;

http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=95

I\'m planning to basically use the $600 grad rebate (knock on wood I get it) to tint and get rust proofing from FX Auto in Markham.

Miggidy stated their solution is waxed base. Has anyone heard of their rust proofing NOT plugging up the drainage holes?

sw0rdfish
06-09-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by wtom

Hi all,

This kind of stems from another thread in the Buying section;

http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=95

I\'m planning to basically use the $600 grad rebate (knock on wood I get it) to tint and get rust proofing from FX Auto in Markham.

Miggidy stated their solution is waxed base. Has anyone heard of their rust proofing NOT plugging up the drainage holes?

I\'m sorta against taking a drill to my car. Not that it\'s a bad thing, my mom\'s volvo has it, and it\'s not like you notice them.

That being said, my uncle and I get Rust Check stuff from Crappy Tire, and spray down the cars. There is an oil, and an.. shit.. forgot at the moment, I\'ll ge tthe info again if you\'re curious.

Anyway, you spray the car with one, one weekend... and the other the next week and it\'s just as good. Takes a bit of time, but at least your car isn\'t drilled into.

but again, if you don\'t mind the drilling, the life time rust warranty isn\'t a bad thing to have.

wtom
06-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Mr. Fish... FX Auto does not drill holes into the car for rust proofing. :)

bluntman
06-09-2004, 12:35 PM
You may want to try Superior Rustproofing. I know there\'s one on Orfus Rd (near Yorkdale) and one up in Woodbridge (Weston Rd and 7). There was also one around the Green Lane and Bayview area (on Guardsman Rd possibly) that I took my Toyota RAV4 to every couple of years for a reapplication of their rustproofing. I remember they went from a waxed based solution to an oil based solution. Unfortunately, I don\'t remember their name, but they are affiliated with Wietzes Toyota.

miggiddy
06-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Krown uses the oil base, they drill. it\'s around $100 bucks every year you go. I\"m thinking towards the end of summer or fall to get it done. My brother and dad have it on their cars. My brothers car is a 2000 Camry and dad\'s is a 2003 Camry. Looking at the bottom of the cars they both look good, especially considering my brother\'s is a few years older.

RedRaptor
09-05-2004, 03:00 PM
I just got rustproofing on my 3 this weekend from RustCheck. For $110, it comes with rustproofing and underbody coat. They do drill holes the first time you bring in your car.

We\'ve been getting our minivan rustproofing from RustCheck now for 3 years.

teambedlam
09-05-2004, 05:15 PM
$110? Did you get the clear/red undercoat or the black undercoat?

I usually get the black undercoat as it lasts longer. I\'ve been paying $126 for the black stuff. Where are the Rust check locations in the north/east york areas.

RedRaptor
09-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Hey, I got the black undercoat as well. Its $110 + tax so that comes out to $126 which is what you pay, right?

teambedlam
09-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Oh right. Damn those taxes.

RedRaptor
09-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Btw: I go to the Mississauga location for Rustcheck (Mavis & Dundas). My family has been taking our cars there for a few years now.

teambedlam
09-06-2004, 10:47 PM
Thats where i took my P5 and then my M3 the day after i picked it up. Kelly is great there. It\'s a little far for me to go there now. I have to find one in my area :)

RedRaptor
09-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Hey,

Yeah Kelly is great. Great guy, fun to talk to and great customer service. I took my Mz 3 there the 2nd day I got it (first day was clear bra installation). I was relieved when he personally drilled the holes in my 3.

It is far for me also. I live in North York, but my dad, uncle, and aunt have been going to him for a few years now, so thats why I go there.;)

teambedlam
09-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Perhaps i\'ll continue to take my car there. I find it amusing that in early 2001 i was one of the first Protege 5\'s he did and then in March 2004 I was one of the first M3 sports he did.

mEtH
09-07-2004, 06:58 PM
What do they charge at that Rust Check? I need to get mine done and it is basically down the street from me.

From the sounds of it, Quality work too.

*** Ignore that, I skipped a couple posts. MY BAD!!! ***

RedRaptor
09-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Yeah, they do quality work. The owner is Kelly Hughson I believe. They are quick, knowledgable and don\'t BS around. They usually take 25 to 30 min or so, for the first time they might take longer to drill four holes (one on each door).

If your car is new, you will get the full warranty which means if your car rusts, RustCheck will pay to repair your car.

Honestly, I\'ve done some research into the different rustproofing options and a tar or wax based application just doesn\'t seem to cut it. Thats why I don\'t mind if they had to drill holes in my car because in the long run, I know the rustcheck solution works.

mEtH
09-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the info. I am about 99% sure I am going to go there.

Good reviews, Good price, and close by. What else can I ask for?

JesTa
09-11-2004, 12:04 AM
Hey guy I just got Rustproofing done at Rustcheck in Scaroborugh @ 752 Warden. This guy knows his stuff. He gave me a great deal and also does pain detail for much cheaper than Ziebart.

Check it out.

Soulcrusher
09-11-2004, 12:13 AM
How much did you pay for the rustproofing and what level of rustproofing did you do?

Also, have you had your car detailed at this place before? And do you know how much they charge?

teambedlam
09-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by JesTa Hey guy I just got Rustproofing done at Rustcheck in Scaroborugh @ 752 Warden.

Holy crap. thats so close to my work. I work at 772 Warden. Thats so close. I could get my car done at lunch some time. But not until just before the first snowfall

JesTa
09-11-2004, 08:11 PM
It was $120 with tax. He said he would do the paint protect for $169. He says both last a year. I want to protect my pain and not have to wax every other weekend.

idreamofmazda
09-14-2004, 01:01 PM
An alternative to having your car rust-proofed at Rust Check, is to buy a can of the stuff at Canadian Tire, or Wal-Mart. Spray it inside the hood through the drain holes, the trunk, inside the doors, even around the engine area where water can sit. I even spray the brake bleeder-valves (I assume the Mazda 3 has them), as over the years, they will rust, and may break off if you bleed any air-bubbles from the brake lines). I used the can of Rust Check on used steel wheels, where there was rust, and the Rust Check dissolved it all.

It\'s a good product, and I plan on using it before the winter, with or without the Rust Check service.

Mayhem
11-17-2004, 06:09 AM
Ziebart charges $369 for rustproofing.....that doesn\'t include the underbody protection, that\'s just where they drill the holes and spray stuff into the body panels, etc. How\'s that compare to the stuff Rustcheck or Krown do? I\'m trying to decide which one to get. Why\'s Ziebart way more expensive? Is it not the same thing?

Melenium
11-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by idreamofmazda

An alternative to having your car rust-proofed at Rust Check, is to buy a can of the stuff at Canadian Tire, or Wal-Mart. Spray it inside the hood through the drain holes, the trunk, inside the doors, even around the engine area where water can sit. I even spray the brake bleeder-valves (I assume the Mazda 3 has them), as over the years, they will rust, and may break off if you bleed any air-bubbles from the brake lines).

You\'ve got a great point... its very important that the break bleeder valves get sprayed because they can easily break, and if they do and they can\'t get the other part out you\'ll need now calipers. For my Mx-3 rear calipers, for a rebuilt one I think they were $250 each and you should replace both at the same time. I can only imagine what Mazda charges for new ones :sarc

Anyone have trouble with the Rust Check or Krown solutions gumming up the power windows or locks?

idreamofmazda
11-28-2004, 08:19 AM
My last car had power windows, no negative affects by Rust Check. Had my Mazda Rust Checked, with no negative affect on the power locks. I was concerned about the speakers, but they seam to be fine. I have used the can stuff in the locks before, and had no problems.

By the way, the Mazda has bleeder valves, and I have spayed them already.

cyber
11-25-2005, 02:59 PM
When I bought my car last year I paid $300 for the lifetime rust proofing through the dealership. I think the company that does it is called Diamond Rust proofing (or something like that). They spray your car with a wax solution (before I picked it up) they also did the under body spray too to reduce the road noise. All I do is make an appointment once a year at the dealership for an inspection. If they find that there are spots that need re-applying they will call the company to come and reapply. I never have to pay a yearly $120 or anything and it is guaranteed for life. I should also mention you don\'t get the dripping oil with this product. Unlike oil base rust proofing like Krown and Rust Check.

Now on to Rust Check. I used to get Rust Check every year with my old Protege and never had a problem. I did also go to the Mavis/Dundas location. Great service and a nice guy too :D . One thing I did not like was the constant oil leakage from the trunk lid to the bumper. It would collect tones of dust and dirt and be a pain when trying to remove it. (lots of scrubbing needed to get it all off) I did ask them to not soak the crap out of the trunk lid (which it looked like they listened) but it would leak over my bumper for weeks afterwards.

The main reason I went with the rust proofing through the dealership was that it was a one time fee. I don\'t need to worry about $120 every year and the convience of not having oil drip marks on my drive way after an application.

From what I know about rust proofing is that they all work if they are maintained on a regular basis.

Good luck to all on your rust proofing research :D

Marcelino
02-01-2006, 09:18 AM
GOOD THING WE GOT THAT IN OUR MAZDA!! BOUGHT IT ON MONDAY THIS WEEK AND MY DAD TALKED TO THE DEALER ABOUT THIS, WE PAID 999.00 FOR UNDERCOATING (BOTTOM AND SIDE DOORS) AND ALSO INCLUDED THE PAINT COAT WHICH PREVENTS RUST!! IN THE END THE CAR LOOKS HEALTHIER, LOOKS BETTER LONGER! WE ALSO GET CHECKUPS FOR THE CAR! TO KEEP THE UNDERCATING STRONG!

Cardinal Fang
02-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Marcelino

GOOD THING WE GOT THAT IN OUR MAZDA!! BOUGHT IT ON MONDAY THIS WEEK AND MY DAD TALKED TO THE DEALER ABOUT THIS, WE PAID 999.00 FOR UNDERCOATING (BOTTOM AND SIDE DOORS) AND ALSO INCLUDED THE PAINT COAT WHICH PREVENTS RUST!! IN THE END THE CAR LOOKS HEALTHIER, LOOKS BETTER LONGER! WE ALSO GET CHECKUPS FOR THE CAR! TO KEEP THE UNDERCATING STRONG!

*Removes hands from ears and takes Marcelino\'s Caps-Lock off*

:D

majic
02-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Cardinal Fang

*Removes hands from ears and takes Marcelino\'s Caps-Lock off*

lol.. while you\'re at it slap him with a smelly trout.. 1K for rust proofing??? silly 19yo!! twicks awe fow kids - oh yah.. u\'re a kid and you got tricked ;)

Cardinal Fang
02-01-2006, 09:42 AM
That\'s not so bad if Dad is paying for it.

Caz
02-01-2006, 09:48 AM

Wow, you got ripped off big time.

civiclad
02-01-2006, 12:13 PM

You paid too much.

ds2chan
02-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Caz

Wow, you got ripped off big time.

yeah, but to be fair he didn\'t know.. MoT offered it to me for $800.. at first I thought it was a good deal.. I even talked to my friends about it.. they said it seemed pretty steep.. so I told the guy no and then he says he\'ll throw in the fabric protection for free.. I was still really hesistant but now I\'m glad I declined..

RedRaptor
02-01-2006, 04:46 PM

Big time rip off. This kind of research should be done \"before\" purchasing the car. However if you are happy with it, thats all that matters? :hoho

Caz
02-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by RedRaptor

Big time rip off. This kind of research should be done \"before\" purchasing the car. However if you are happy with it, thats all that matters? :hoho

Too bad they don\'t have a 30 day price garantee like best buy.

FLIPDADY
02-02-2006, 09:02 AM
I\'m sure when you were making the deal on your car the finance department gave you all the details of the rustproofing. So ultimately it\'s up to you to decide wether or not to get it done or not.

Triplebogey
04-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Has anyone investigated electronic rustproofing ? (IE: Counteract)
I've heard both good and bad. If it does work then it will be cheaper in the long run.

Wild Weasel
04-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Has anyone investigated electronic rustproofing ? (IE: Counteract)
I've heard both good and bad. If it does work then it will be cheaper in the long run.

I haven't seen any independant studies that show this to do anything productive.

That's not to say it doesn't do anything... but it does seem a bit far-fetched to me. If I understand it correctly, it doesn't work by actually inhibiting rust at all. It supposedly just makes the car repel water better.

MajesticBlueNTO
04-02-2007, 11:00 AM
some info within this thread on TDIClub (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=149808), especially post 17 (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1617443&postcount=17) that explains the difference between capacitive coupling (counteract) and impressed current cathodic protection (all others...which, to be effective, require the car to be underwater/submerged in the ground).

smokeeater
04-03-2007, 03:48 PM
OK guys...after reading a lot on rustproofing I'm finding that FX with a non drill wax version is good or Krown with a drip style. $100 or so from Krown (once a year), or 200+ from FX. Does anyone know if the FX wax type spray needs to be done yearly, and warranted for how long??

Thanks all

S.

mazda lover
04-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Pwesonally I would stay away from the tar, If it peels wayer will trap under it. It does not flow into tight areas like oil does. Go for Krown or Rust Check..have used Krown on my 1983 Olds since new and still have the original gas lines, gas tank, brake lines etc. no rust showing from the inside out. If you are keeping the car for less than 5 years don't bother, I didn't on my M3. JMO

argos
05-27-2007, 06:51 PM
At Krown's, do i need to make an appointment or can i just drop by and get my car rustproofed??

Skarbro
05-27-2007, 08:47 PM
At Krown's, do i need to make an appointment or can i just drop by and get my car rustproofed??

You need to make an appointment.

Flagrum_3
05-27-2007, 09:54 PM

Its best to make an appointment, and while your there ask them for a complimentary car wash coupon, so you can take it in a couple of weeks later (After the oil has stopped seaping out) and they'll hand wash it with their specially formulated soap.

_3

argos
05-27-2007, 10:15 PM
You need to make an appointment.

how long does it usually take?

Triplebogey
05-27-2007, 10:19 PM
I had mine done a few weeks ago. I called on the Tuesday and took it in on the saturday morning. Was all done in about an hour.

This time of year is a little slower so it shouldn't take long to get an appointment