PDA

View Full Version : How To: Oil and Filter Change

MajesticBlueNTO
06-06-2004, 05:48 AM
i changed my oil today since I didn\'t want to wait for Avante to have a free saturday (first one at the toronto location is june 19th).

went to Avante at Yonge and Steeles and asked for the oil filter for the 2.3 and the older asian dude said that the computer was showing 2 part numbers for the oil filter.

the part numbers are:
LF10-14-302 which is the spin-on oil filter
L321-14-302 which is the cartridge oil filter (~$7.50 plus tax)

looks like mazda might have changed the design mid cycle. in any case, having not seen under the car before, i decided to buy both, just so that there wouldn\'t be any surprises and i\'d have to drive back to get the proper one. Avante didn\'t have the o-rings, but i wasn\'t going to change them anyway (not with 4050kms on a 3 week old car).

i followed the instructions posted by raitchison on mazda3forums (http://www.aitchison.org/robert/Mazda3/Mazda3DIYOilChange.htm) but i also took some additional pics:

1. i jacked up the car using 2 2.25 ton jacks at the stock jack points on both sides. i don\'t have ramps that will clear the front bumper.

2. i didn\'t bother taking off the engine cover. raitchison stated that he took it off so that no oil would spill on it...i just used a funnel.

3. that plastic cowling underneath the car is a PITA. if it weren\'t for that, no correction, if it weren\'t for the fact that the hole doesn\'t line up with the oil filter, the changes wouldn\'t take so damn long.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_31_full.jpg

4. the 2 plastic tabs on the cowling are located at the back and go into the following holes

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_34_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_35_full.jpg

wiggle the tabs out of the hole (best to hold the opposite side up with one hand while freeing the tab with the other hand).

5. the oil drain plug is located towards the rear of the vehicle and is a 17mm socket

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_33_full.jpg

raitchison wasn\'t lying when he said that the oil shoots out a good 18 inches. don\'t place your drain pan directly underneath the drain plug, place it a few inches away and be prepared to move it with your free hand while the other is slowly removing the drain plug.

6. as the oil drains, you\'ll have to move the pan towards the drain plug. open the oil filler cap at the top of the engine to relieve the pressure. this also lets air rush in so that it drains better.

7. once the oil has finished draining, replace the oil drain plug and torque it down to ~30 ft-lbs.

8. next you\'ll have to move the drain pan below the oil filter housing. using the 6mm hex head, loosen the oil filter drain plug.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_32_full.jpg

let it drain until it starts to slowly drip

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_38_full.jpg

9. next you\'ll remove the oil filter housing. i used this oil filter cap tool that i found at my local wal-mart to loosen it at first and then proceeded to unscrew it by hand.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_36_full.jpg

more oil will come out so be prepared to get your hands dirty (i use nitrile gloves while doing this...keeps the oil off the hands and also protects it from any scratches and gouges from removing that PITA plastic cowling...but i digress :D )_

10. remove the old oil filter cartridge and replace it with the new one

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_37_full.jpg

here is what the oil filter housing looks like sans filter. slide the new filter onto the housing (i had pressed down on the filter when putting it in, only to have some oil come out from the bottom...be prepared to clean up any spillage)

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_39_full.jpg

11. when screwing back on the filter housing, be VERY careful not to cross-thread. there is spring tension when pushing it in and, if screwed in too fast, one side can get out of whack and start the cross-thread.

12. put the oil filter drain plug back on and tighten to 7.4 ft-lbs.

13. torque the oil filter housing to 22ft-lbs (read your housing and do the appropriate conversion from N-m...mine said 30N-m which converts to roughly 22ft-lbs).

14. add 4.3L of oil (as per the owner\'s manual) and then look under the car for any leaks. start the car to let the oil flow through the engine and, again, check for leaks.

15. replace the plastic cowling, lower the car and you\'re good to go.

These steps i\'ve typed and pics i posted are meant to go in conjunction with raitchison\'s good write-up. I\'m gonna use the same disclaimer and state that:

Use this guide at your own risk, I\'m not a Mazda trained mechanic and am not responsible for any damage or injury caused by using or mis-using this guide.

I replaced the oil with Castrol GTX 5w20 (found at the local wal-mart too).

i\'ll probably go to Avante for the oil change at 8000kms (since they should replace the o-rings and such...but if the parts counter was out of o-rings in friday, makes you wonder about the 3\'s that had oil changes that day).

the mazda/ford oil is a semi-synthetic and that should be good until 12000kms, at which point i\'ll put in Mobil1 SuperSyn 0w20 synthetic (it\'s approved for all honda and ford engines that require 5w20)...found at the local canadian tire (dufferin and 407 being \'local\' to me).

hope this helps guys. cheers.

Xenon
06-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

Use this guide at your own risk, I\'m not a Mazda trained mechanic and am not responsible for any damage or injury caused by using or mis-using this guide.

Way to cover your a$$ lol

sw0rdfish
06-09-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Xenon

Way to cover your a$$ lol

This is why I pay somone to change my oil... it\'s not worth the risks and potential car on my head, just to save 40 bucks. Then again, thats because I\'m not used to doing these things. If you can do it, and save yourself the money... more power to ya!

MajesticBlueNTO
06-09-2004, 02:46 AM
don\'t put too much trust in the dealerships. for $26.95, do you really think any amount of care is going to be taken? in a volume situation things can be rushed and the potential for cross-threading the cartridge is high.

at the going labour rate, the time involved in removing/reinstalling the lower cowling, the amount of time involved with draining 4.3L of oil, time involved in replacing the o-rings on the oil filter drain plug and cartridge, etc etc, the dealerships are losing money on every oil change.... :sarc

when you work 60+ hours a week and the dealership is booked solid on saturdays for the next 3 weeks (by which point you\'d be long overdue for an oil change....8000km for the initial one is pushing it to the extreme in the first place), the option of doing it yourself and having people post helpful hints and tips is a bonus.

sw0rdfish
06-09-2004, 11:47 AM

having people post helpful hints and tips is a bonus.

DEfinatley agree with you on that. Don\'t get me wrong, I\'m sure MANY people appriate this stuff, as I do... I just don\'t trust myself enough to do this myself :S

Maybe I\'ll call my uncle up, and we\'ll do it... I\'m at 5000KM at the moment.

Then again, I\'m gonna have them look at my fuel pump too, so I may have to take it in

Black3
06-10-2004, 07:26 PM
just a side note, 0w20 maybe too thin for your engine
the 0 is the cold starting weight, while the 20 is the weight when the engine temperature is at normal conditions.
i wouldn\'t use 0w20 in my engine, too thin for those crucial start ups

Xenon
06-10-2004, 09:23 PM
I got my first oil & filter change at Erin Mills Mazda. Went flawlessly. I als finally got my 2.3 emblems. My car is now complete. Everything I wanted to do to it this year has been done.

2.3 Emblems
Tint
Clear Car Bra
Toronto Mazda3 Sticker :p

I also picked up a pair of those \"racing seatbelt straps\" Those shoulder protector things that go on your seat belt. Says \"Powered by Mazda\" on them. Strap colour is blue of course.

miggiddy
06-11-2004, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the post MajesticBlueN. I\'ve been meaning to go to \"get to know your mazda\" gathering at my dealership. So I can pick their brain and learn whatever I can. I\'ve changed my previous cars oil most of the time. I\'ll probably change mine eventually as well.

MajesticBlueNTO
06-11-2004, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Black3

the 0 is the cold starting weight, while the 20 is the weight when the engine temperature is at normal conditions.

would you not want your oil thin on cold start ups? less viscous oil flows to the upper part of the engine quicker when cold...it is thin for those crucial start ups

MajesticBlueNTO
06-11-2004, 03:19 AM

I also picked up a pair of those \"racing seatbelt straps\" Those shoulder protector things that go on your seat belt. Says \"Powered by Mazda\" on them. Strap colour is blue of course.

$5 you take those straps off within a year :p

i had those on my integra back when i was a youngin and they became a nuisance in the winter time (with the thick jackets) and, after that, became annoying without a jacket on. i eventually chucked those \"Powered by Honda\" seatbelt straps.

bulk up in the chest area and you won\'t feel the seatbelt chafing you ;)

bluntman
06-11-2004, 10:30 AM

:sarc

miggiddy
06-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by bluntman

:sarc

5 extra hp at the wheels

White racing stripe = +7whp
Big a$$ wing on the trunk, absolutely necessary!

:p :p :D

p.s. just buggin\' Xe

wtom
06-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Don\'t forget to recline/sit ALL the way back to get that extra low-ride for +10hp!!

miggiddy
06-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by wtom

Don\'t forget to recline/sit ALL the way back to get that extra low-ride for +10hp!!

Damn forgot about that, thanks wtom. You\'re alot more areodynamic :sarc or ready for a driveby shooting.

wtom
06-11-2004, 03:44 PM
I\'ll take it as preparing for a driveby shooting in my 92 Buick going thru the neighbourhood of Little India where I live... too many gang wannabes there... no idea if they have guns or curry sticks. :D

Xenon
06-12-2004, 01:26 PM
I recinde my last comment about my oil change being flawless.... now I\'m pissed...

They changed the oil, BUT THAT\"S ALL... no inspections of any kind. Mu coolent level is still dangerously low. Please excuse me now, I have some bitching to do to the sales manager.

Oakville Mazda: Here I come
Erin Mills Mazda: Never again.

Black3
06-13-2004, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by Black3

would you not want your oil thin on cold start ups? less viscous oil flows to the upper part of the engine quicker when cold...it is thin for those crucial start ups

of course, thinner is better, however we don\'t live in arctic temperature, where the ambient temperature in the winter time is -10c
too thin leads to excessive cylinder wear which leads to excessive blow by and the burning of said oil.
at times in the summer with my ex Si civic, i would use 20w50. creates more pressure in the cylinder. more pressure=higher volatility.

canada3
06-23-2004, 06:07 PM
I finally picked up some royal purple 5w20 and a filter from the dealer but they had no o-rings...seems they are on back order and have been for some time....peps came in and got 1 filter but took 2 or 3 o-rings instead but the guy said since its teh first oil change just be carefule and using the same o-ring again will be fine.....anyone else todl this?

FLIPDADY
06-24-2004, 08:26 AM
The main o-ring that should be replaced is the large one at the housing cover. The smaller o-ring doesn\'t need to be replaced all the time unless the bolt is removed. You could always convert the filter housing to the 2.0 setup which takes a spin-on filter. Less hassle in the long run when doing oil changes.

bluntman
06-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

You could always convert the filter housing to the 2.0 setup which takes a spin-on filter. Less hassle in the long run when doing oil changes.

Can the dealer do that for us?

FLIPDADY
06-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by bluntman

You could always convert the filter housing to the 2.0 setup which takes a spin-on filter. Less hassle in the long run when doing oil changes.

Can the dealer do that for us?
It would be a DIY job, I of course can supply you with the proper parts.

This similar project was done on a 6 but the same part numbers as the 3\'s.

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=57

bluntman
06-24-2004, 04:07 PM

This similar project was done on a 6 but the same part numbers as the 3\'s.

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=57

Will it still be OK with the dealership if I do this mod myself? It won\'t void the warranty?

Newlook
07-06-2004, 12:23 AM
Just the oil and filter is fine? No need to flush transmission fluid eh?

FLIPDADY
07-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Newlook

Just the oil and filter is fine? No need to flush transmission fluid eh?
Yup, the tranny fluid doesn\'t need to be changed. Only inspected every 2 to 3 years.

queens49
07-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Does anybody know where I can get the oil filter wrench? I\'ve been to Part Source, and they only carry 2, 3, and 5. Went to CT and got my hopes up b/c they had 1,2,3,5,6,8, and 9. Went to Wal-Mart and they just have 2,3 and 5. Where can I get this elusive number 7. Any help would be appreciated.

Skarbro
07-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by queens49

Does anybody know where I can get the oil filter wrench? I\'ve been to Part Source, and they only carry 2, 3, and 5. Went to CT and got my hopes up b/c they had 1,2,3,5,6,8, and 9. Went to Wal-Mart and they just have 2,3 and 5. Where can I get this elusive number 7. Any help would be appreciated.
I ordered mine from here (http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=2236) and had it shipped to my friend\'s house in the U.S.

queens49
07-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Skarbro

Originally posted by queens49

I ordered mine from here (http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=2236) and had it shipped to my friend\'s house in the U.S.

Wow, that\'s pretty expensive. $15US for the wrench. Thanks for the info. If all else fails, I\'m going to have to order it...almost time for an oil change.

FLIPDADY
07-26-2006, 05:21 PM
That\'s cheap!

If you want the wrench from me you have to buy the entire set.

$120.00 +

SABIO
07-26-2006, 05:35 PM
I pm\'d queens49....

I did get mine at wal-mart. And when the lady scanned the little sticker on the cap...it rang up as .18 cents. :p

queens49
07-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by SABIO

I pm\'d queens49....

I did get mine at wal-mart. And when the lady scanned the little sticker on the cap...it rang up as .18 cents. :p

Hmmmm, thinking about it. I wonder if they dropped the price that low b/c they were no longer going to carry that size, so they were clearing out the inventory. If so, that would suck for me :(

SABIO
07-27-2006, 03:22 AM
I think the sticker on it had nothing to do with the actual *UPC Code*. The price listed on the bin was $6.59...something like that..

invisibleCK
08-16-2006, 12:19 AM
Hey is it possible to repost those pictures please. Either i can\'t load it or the pics got removed...thanks

MajesticBlueNTO
08-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by invisibleCK

Hey is it possible to repost those pictures please. Either i can\'t load it or the pics got removed...thanks

if you use firefox, right-click the \"user-posted image\" text and then select \"view image\"

if you use internet explorer, right-click the \"user-posted image\" text and then select \"Properties\"... copy the \"Address (URL)\" and paste it in the Address bar.... press enter and the picture should load in the IE window.

CarDomain is being flakey right now.