Google
01-07-2014, 01:41 AM
http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/2014/201401/140107a.html

r4mi5awi
01-07-2014, 02:30 AM
Thanks Google!

boo-ninja
01-07-2014, 05:06 AM
This sounds terrible! No matter what they do those cars will never match the quality produced in japan. Cough cough cough......Volkswagen...cough cough

jaynsue13
01-07-2014, 07:19 AM
Well with that news so much for buying a 2014 3

greardon
01-07-2014, 07:33 AM
I guess there goes your guys trust in Mazda. That didn't take much. I don't think location will play part long as Mazda keeps their quality checks and in this market right now they will push to get the best product out there. I keep back spacing so I'll just leave it at this.

boo-ninja
01-07-2014, 09:03 AM
It doesn't matter what it is as soon as production goes to Mexico quality drops. I have a friend who is in Mexico to make sure the windows his company makes are on par with quality. He said it doesn't matter what they do they can't get them made to the same quality. VW quality dropped severely when a major part of their production for North America was moved to Mexico. It just happens.

With exceptions, corona and tequila, obviously! Haha

loki
01-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Corona is shit. The mexicans dont even drink it

MazdaMike02
01-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Mazda has actual Japanese Engineers overseeing everything at the new plant..Theyre intension is not for quality to suffer at all, and they had to start building in NA to alleviate some of the costs of building and shipping overseas. Theyre also still looking for financial partners..once they get more funding is when we'll see all the good stuff come back.

Jeff-TheBiz
01-07-2014, 02:19 PM
The Mazda3 GX and GS only will be built there for Canada.

The GT (as well as the Mazdaspeed3 if it does come out) will still be built in Japan.. for now..

CloudPump
01-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Corona is shit. The mexicans dont even drink it

This.

-Geoff

Nova 3 GT
01-07-2014, 07:22 PM

The GT (as well as the Mazdaspeed3 if it does come out) will still be built in Japan.. for now..

That's good to know!

stock3
01-07-2014, 08:26 PM
So the rust on Mazda 3's should be considered as part of the superior Japanese manufacturing process?

sarujo
01-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Jeff - any idea when the Mexican made units will be in the Canadian retail channel? At this point if you ordered a 2014 GX or GS, is it a 50/50 chance of getting a Japanese made car?

Google
01-08-2014, 01:33 AM
Mazda might have a tough sell, then again diehard VW fans keep on buying VWs made in mexico and enjoy spending their day off repairing their cars #smh

If on the other hand, Mazda lowers their prices due to the cost savings (cheapo Mexican labor et al) then that might help then. Otherwise, at the risk of generalizing, Ive known many Mexicans who have and still do whatever it takes to cut corners at any expense. If they get caught, they'll just move onto another job some place else. I dont see the QC and dedication to be on par to what we expect from Mazda.

As usual, it's those fools up top who are academics and don't see the real picture. By the time they realized they fracked up, it's too late. They won't go back.

My advice is buy a Mazda as soon as you can because it'll eventually be rare to have one in North America that is made in Japan.

rajin929
01-08-2014, 01:23 PM
So the rust on Mazda 3's should be considered as part of the superior Japanese manufacturing process?

this.

SilentJay
01-08-2014, 03:55 PM
If on the other hand, Mazda lowers their prices due to the cost savings (cheapo Mexican labor et al) then that might help then.

The move was made to protect profit margins against the rising Yen - Mazda is unlikely to lower prices.

sarujo
01-08-2014, 07:20 PM
I'm curious if parts will be made in Mexico as well. Right now all the parts I have purchased for my 2010 have come from Japan.

erratic
01-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Eww, reminds me of my 94 GTi made in el cheapo Mexico ... The German ones were more durable and had more options.

Google
01-09-2014, 01:51 AM
I'm curious if parts will be made in Mexico as well. Right now all the parts I have purchased for my 2010 have come from Japan.
I'll have to guess no. However, Mazda may decide to outsource their parts to different countries just like VW does.

loki
01-09-2014, 12:03 PM
unfortunately this is a fact of life in order to stay competitive when it comes to pricing.

What if I told you it would cost $4000 more a mazda3 to buy it made in Japan. Sure some poeple may pay the extra but the majority won't.

Everyone wants stuff to be cheap, but get upset when manufactures take steps to keep prices lower.

TheAnswer_03
01-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Will the lower manufacturing costs be passed down to the customer?

Ha!

loki
01-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Will the lower manufacturing costs be passed down to the customer?

Ha!

what they'll probably say is that because of it they were able to keep prices the same.

you know...the usual

Google
01-10-2014, 02:04 AM
unfortunately this is a fact of life in order to stay competitive when it comes to pricing.

What if I told you it would cost $4000 more a mazda3 to buy it made in Japan. Sure some poeple may pay the extra but the majority won't.

Everyone wants stuff to be cheap, but get upset when manufactures take steps to keep prices lower.

what they'll probably say is that because of it they were able to keep prices the same.

you know...the usual
And that my friend is why Canada is the way it is where people try to rationalize getting it up the arse.

tweak_s
01-10-2014, 08:51 AM
And that my friend is why Canada is the way it is where people try to rationalize getting it up the arse.

Yeah we're nice here man. Sorry!!

:P

Its a shame though that this is happening. The fact that the 3 was made entirely in Japan was a very appealing detail, and IMO Mazda WILL lose some customers. Maybe not as much if it raised the prices by $4000 but still. For example, I know my gf ended up getting her Lancer before because of all things like price, style etc., but also because she liked the fact it was made in Japan (the 3 was out because she was too scared of rust!)

With that said though, whoever posted above about Japan superior manufacturing process + rust, almost made me spit out my coffee. As much as I love this car, it rusts ridiculously quick.

JeaneR
01-21-2014, 12:32 PM
so many jokes could be made but i shall be a good boy

sube
01-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Well if Mazda is determined to stay on top of quality control then it won't matter where the car is built. In today's competitive market they cannot afford to lose market share, so they will do what it takes to protect it.
Case in point when Honda originally set up shop in the US the domestics were turning out some of the worst crap on wheels.

So when Honda was hiring if you previously worked building cars in the states Honda wouldn't hire because they didn't want ingrained bad habits in their plants.
A good friend was originally employed by Honda in human resources at their start up, he confirmed this hiring requirement and stayed with them until retirement. In many quality surveys the American built Honda was every bit as good as the Japanese built cars and in some cases were even better.

Pat.

Google
01-26-2014, 02:04 AM
Mazda has actual Japanese Engineers overseeing everything at the new plant..Theyre intension is not for quality to suffer at all, and they had to start building in NA to alleviate some of the costs of building and shipping overseas. Theyre also still looking for financial partners..once they get more funding is when we'll see all the good stuff come back.

You know...they said the same about Volkswagen and VW's Made in Mexico reliability is simply poor. This is in contrast to VWs made in Germany where they are much better in the reliability department.

Como
01-26-2014, 09:31 AM
I'm a lead hand at a Linamar facility. We make parts for Ford.
I know they're not a Japanese company (obviously).
We cut corners every where we can. Scary because we produce the parking gear for Fords 2 main transmissions. The 6spd RWD and 6spd FWD.
We have had Toyota come to our facility several times to look and see if they would consider doing business with us. They basically think our place is a joke

sube
01-30-2014, 05:53 PM
I'm a lead hand at a Linamar facility. We make parts for Ford.
I know they're not a Japanese company (obviously).
We cut corners every where we can. Scary because we produce the parking gear for Fords 2 main transmissions. The 6spd RWD and 6spd FWD.
We have had Toyota come to our facility several times to look and see if they would consider doing business with us. They basically think our place is a joke

I would be careful of denigrating a company you work for in a public forum, the operative word being public. Other company employees can and do access all sorts of forums.
More than one person has found this out to their cost.

Pat.

Google
04-05-2014, 07:08 PM
It'll be interesting to see in a few years if this move will result in Mazda shooting themselves in the foot. Like I posted elsewhere in this forum, sales of Mazdas are down a staggering 20% in March compared to the same period last year.