PDA

View Full Version : Mazda 3 No Likey Cold

Wisecraker
01-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Just had to say it, I've been disappointed with how the Mazda 3's react to cold temps

ottoyu34
01-09-2014, 11:01 AM
How so?

mazdaagain
01-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Has nothing to do with Mazda 3's. It's cars in general and specifically your battery and/or oil (thinner oil will work better in cold temps). I've had 2 different Maxda 3's over 8 years and have never had an issue with the cold that's any different from any other car I've owned.
The key is to have a healthy battery and warm up the car properly. Having the car properly maintained goes without saying.

Nikhil Pali
01-09-2014, 11:12 AM
My car wanted to kill me when I started it the day when temps were -40. I thought I dropped a rod or something. But its same with every car n truck out thr.
Park in the garage or plug it in, to avoid heart stopping moments...lol..

Mazdy
01-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Is it that time of the month?...is that why?

Noisy Crow
01-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Six year old battery in my 3 and it starts right up even cold soaked @ -25C. Though it does help to have synthetic oil in the engine (doesn't turn to goo when really like conventional does) and a manual transmission (no drag from the transmission when starting).

sarujo
01-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Just had to say it, I've been disappointed with how people post on this forum

Just had to say it, I've been disappointed with how the Mazda 3's react to cold temps

Mazdy
01-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Just had to say it, I've been disappointed with how people post on this forum

Thats why TM3 starting to become a joke...people go on the site and see "unique" threads...have you see the new threads lately...usually posted by the new members n whatnot..

Zotaga
01-10-2014, 12:27 PM
In the "General" forum, anything off-topic can be posted.. I believe that's the whole purpose of "General".. and it makes for some interesting/fun discussions.

If you don't like it, then refrain from participating and/or reading the threads that you have no interest in?

Thats why TM3 starting to become a joke...people go on the site and see "unique" threads...have you see the new threads lately...usually posted by the new members n whatnot..

Mazdy
01-10-2014, 12:30 PM
In the "General" forum, anything off-topic can be posted.. I believe that's the whole purpose of "General".. and it makes for some interesting/fun discussions.

If you don't like it, then refrain from participating and/or reading the threads that you have no interest in?

I didnt name any names but someone got offended LOL...

Timotee
01-10-2014, 12:41 PM
My take on this.....depends on the car or the battery itself. My 2010 sedan went strong so I guess it's more about the battery.....just my 2 cents. :)

Zotaga
01-10-2014, 02:04 PM
I didnt name any names but someone got offended LOL...

I didn't get offended at all. Was just saying lol

Kingshead8
01-10-2014, 02:32 PM
I have had no issues with my 07 Mazda 3. Have the same battery I bought it with over two years ago and it wasn't new then. At -30 it starts within a second or two and drives smooth. If you going to post random comments as posts you should at least give examples or something of what is happening to you.

m3gad37h
01-12-2014, 03:00 PM
3 Just started up fine last month when it dipped to -28C with out the windchill, turned over twice and started right up (Mind you battery as seen less then 4 months of usage). Wife's Pontiac G5 turned over much slower but still started the same day, not bad for a 5year old battery.

Only car I've personally seen have issues is my mother Accord's. Having a 2003 prior and a 2009 now, both of them required new batteries every 2 years.

TheMAN
01-12-2014, 05:37 PM
it's not the car, it's your mother (no offence)... it's how you drive the car that affects battery life.... frequent short trips and seldom driving will kill a battery just as fast as driving your car in the sahara

m3gad37h
01-13-2014, 04:45 AM
it's not the car, it's your mother (no offence)... it's how you drive the car that affects battery life.... frequent short trips and seldom driving will kill a battery just as fast as driving your car in the sahara

I have to agree, 80Km commute with 3 days on & 3 days off. Mind you leaving on all the accessories on during winter is a big factor too (heated seats, fan, stereo).

TheMAN
01-13-2014, 07:00 AM
if you (or your mom) want to stop spending money on batteries every 2 years, I recommend investing in a float charger... it's an inconvenience of spending an extra minute to disconnect and turn off the charger every time you get in the car... depending on brand you get, some brands offer accessory quick disconnect plugs that allows you to hook up the charger like you would a block heater or have a connection panel that you install on your dashboard... worth a consideration :)

Wisecraker
01-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Alright, so the reason I posted this is because I've just noticed more with this car than previously owned cars the slow starts and noises in the cold that's all. Wanted to see what peoples thoughts were. But I notice there are the typical forum bullies who instantly have to make their little comment. They exist everywhere and it's hilarious For those who this applies to if you need some help I can work with you to take that stick out of your ass if you'd like?

Wisecraker
01-13-2014, 10:29 AM

Wow an adult. Nice to meet you!

Sivart444
01-13-2014, 11:08 AM
Mine has been having rough starts throughout the extreme cold as well. I find if you let it crank 2-3 times, and wait a minute, then repeat, once the oil starts moving through you will have a smoother start when you hold it.

Wisecraker
01-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Mine has been having rough starts throughout the extreme cold as well. I find if you let it crank 2-3 times, and wait a minute, then repeat, once the oil starts moving through you will have a smoother start when you hold it.

I noticed this as well, but it only happened twice on the real cold days we had

Sivart444
01-13-2014, 11:24 AM
Yeah I find that -25 or colder is when mine really chokes. -15 to -20 it's rough but it fires right up

TheMAN
01-13-2014, 09:00 PM
the oil is thick as molasses, and so is the trans fluid and power steering fluid.... any noises you hear are from those components usually.... this is why I believe in warming up the car enough until the temperature gauge starts moving before driving off
there are people out there who buy into the so-called expert's article in some magazine who say warm ups aren't necessary and you can just get in and drive off.... obviously they never lived through a true canadian winter, and obviously they don't know that the higher RPMs causes component wear faster than lower RPMs while allowing fluids to warm up

there's nothing you can do about this... all cars will make funny noises when it's very cold... metal contracts when it's cold, and does funny things in the cold!

Nooby31
01-13-2014, 09:17 PM
I had the car parked from Dec 28 to Jan 11 and it started up just fine in an open parking lot.