PDA

View Full Version : ECU flush update

Hotsky
01-26-2014, 10:17 PM
I've had my '05 Mz3 since '09, but never had the ECU scanned by the dealership. I recently started noticing the 1st to 2nd gear shift shock and found out here that an ECU update can help with that issue.

more on the issue here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2376224
and here http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=381423

I called both dealership in Hamilton and neither person from the service dep. knew anything about it. But said it'd cost $120 just to do a scan. One dealership told me if there's anything available it would be included in the price, other one said it's extra ~$40 per update :/

Obviously I'd go with all inclusive option if I do this, but I was wondering;

1) will that update come up for sure or will I have to find a service bulletin for it and show them what I'm talking about?
2) what other updates should be available for an '05 car that hasn't had anything done in the last 5 years or maybe never?

sarujo
01-26-2014, 11:55 PM
Booter22 at Budd's in Oakville would be the guy to connect on this one.

r4mi5awi
01-27-2014, 12:53 AM
I'm pretty sure you should be able to find tsbs for your model year with a Google search.

Booter22
01-27-2014, 11:11 AM
I'm pretty sure you should be able to find tsbs for your model year with a Google search.

you dont mean this TSB do you?

TSB 05-05-10
2004 – 2005 MAZDA3-1–2 SHIFT SHOCK

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2004 – 2005 Mazda3 (Automatic transmission only)

DESCRIPTION

Some vehicles may exhibit intermittent shift shock during 1-2 upshift. The symptom is due to improper PCM calibration. A revised PCM calibration is now available to correct this issue.

Booter22 at Budd's in Oakville would be the guy to connect on this one.

i am happy to help- pm me if you need anything Hotsky

wouldnt think you would need diag and should be fine with just getting the updates done, it wont tell you exactly what updates they are or really what they are for but it will tell you going from update A to J or C to M, like that. but you would get whatever the newest is, as you can not select them. but it would cost $53.00 + HST for the update only. if there was diag after it would be additional

Hotsky
01-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the info. So the latest update 'X' would include all previous updates up to now? And that's $53? They don't need to run the diagnostic tool to see what I need?

Hotsky
01-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Called the local dealerships again about doing the update/reflush one said they can do the just the update with out the diagnostic but that it would cost $100 other other said they have to do it because they wont know otherwise and that it would be $120 for the diag and $40 for the update and that updates are usually issued to fix CELs. Don't understand why the different info/pricing.

PM sent to Booter22...

Booter22
01-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the info. So the latest update 'X' would include all previous updates up to now? And that's $53? They don't need to run the diagnostic tool to see what I need?

yup, it would bring you to the most recent version. there might be PCM (engine) and TCM (transmission) updates but you would recieve both or whatever is available

Hotsky
01-31-2014, 06:47 PM
Done the update today but the girl at service desk couldn't tell me if PMC or TCM or both were updated. Price I paid suggested both...Free coffee and a carwash not a bad deal for $60. I'll have to have a longer look at the receipt and see if I can decode it. She also didn't know anything about this forum, she was cute so it's OK but still Booter you might want to have a word with her :D

I don't know if it's because it was the first time in the last couple of weeks I drove the car when it's actually warmed up and for longer than 10km but it seemed more refreshed and a little more lively to me.

Booter22
01-31-2014, 07:38 PM
Done the update today but the girl at service desk couldn't tell me if PMC or TCM or both were updated. Price I paid suggested both...Free coffee and a carwash not a bad deal for $60. I'll have to have a longer look at the receipt and see if I can decode it. She also didn't know anything about this forum, she was cute so it's OK but still Booter you might want to have a word with her :D

I don't know if it's because it was the first time in the last couple of weeks I drove the car when it's actually warmed up and for longer than 10km but it seemed more refreshed and a little more lively to me.

funny thing is i told her the pcm and tcm both got an update, but shes still learning so cant fault her for trying. i believe it was more updates for the pcm then tcm but still have both. less that one engine code that was in the system. shes still new to service and is our appointment cordinator. the only person at that dealer on the form is me.

good to know it seems to be better then before. hopefully no more shift shock as well. should take a few drive cycles to learn the keep alive memory again

TheMAN
01-31-2014, 08:19 PM
the 04-05 does not have a TCM, the 06-09 2.0s do not have a TCM also
the TCM functions are integrated into the PCM

latest calibration I have on my car was L3S3-18881-G 2 years ago... I don't recall seeing a newer one

Hotsky
01-31-2014, 09:00 PM
Booter the 'you might want to have a word with her' comment was about not hearing of this forum and more of a joke. I wasn't complaining about her service.

the handwritten code on my reciept was LFZF18881 D

Also that engine code on the system was from me replacing the air intake, it threw a CEL when I didn't connect the barometric sensor. it was gone after I reinstalled it. I guess it's still stores it in the system.

Booter22
02-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Booter the 'you might want to have a word with her' comment was about not hearing of this forum and more of a joke. I wasn't complaining about her service.

the handwritten code on my reciept was LFZF18881 D

Also that engine code on the system was from me replacing the air intake, it threw a CEL when I didn't connect the barometric sensor. it was gone after I reinstalled it. I guess it's still stores it in the system.

i figured as much but just wanted to point out.. she is still very new. otherwise hope you dont have any further issues.

sarujo
02-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Sounds to me like Hotsky was looking for more than just a computer flash from her... :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle