PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a 2013 - did we get a good deal?

MacPaddy
02-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Just curious to know what you more seasoned Mazda 3 owners think of the deal we got yesterday at Gyro. I went in originally to look at their used ones, but my husband was quite open to a new one (first actually NEW car since 1993) so drove a 2012 with 49K km on it with my son, and then later in the afternoon, drove a 2014 GX with my husband. However, due to the big cash incentives on the 2013 and the fact that we'd get a whole lot more in the way of add-ons for our money, we opted for the 2013. I have read all the reviews/comparisons etc. and am aware of the changes in the 2014, so am hoping we won't regret it down the road.

So - this is what we got:

GS-Sky with power moon roof, GS-L Package (fog lights, leather seats, power seats) and the GS Touring Edition (intel key with push button start, LED tail lights, dual zone climate control, Bose audio Centerpoint & audio pilot, 10 speakers etc.) AND I got them to throw in a third key (those things are worth about $300) as we have 3 drivers in the household - soon to be 4, if son #2 ever gets around to getting his G2...

$25,890 including ALL taxes and fees.

That's $4700 off the MSRP (before taxes), and includes the extra key. The cash discount was $4K, there was another $200 rebate for cash, I got them down another $500 and got the free key -probably should have asked for free mats too - may still do that when I go in on Tuesday to deal with the paperwork ;), so it seemed pretty decent. A 2014 GS without all the whistles and bells (no leather, no touring pkg) is about the same.

So - did we do ok?

loki
02-16-2014, 02:10 PM
What will you do if everyone says no?

MacPaddy
02-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Not much I can do now. :p However, curiosity makes me ask...

loki
02-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Enjoy your car

fruitloops
02-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Enjoy your car

I think that means no.

loki
02-16-2014, 02:43 PM
No I think if you can get anything thrown into the deal and a discount you did well

But after the fact doesn't really matter

2013 and 2014 are different models so I wouldn't compare the 2 really to say what's on par pricing wise

XTOTHEL
02-16-2014, 03:04 PM
All depends on how much you value the extra options. IMO some extra options don't really add to the resale value of the car.

For such a small car, is dual zone climate control really a plus? (is it even on larger cars?)

With a of potential 4 drivers, two of which are fairly young, how will the leather seats hold up?

But like loki have already mentioned, you made the purchase, enjoy it and take care of it :)

MacPaddy
02-16-2014, 03:05 PM
No I think if you can get anything thrown into the deal and a discount you did well

But after the fact doesn't really matter

2013 and 2014 are different models so I wouldn't compare the 2 really to say what's on par pricing wise

Well, the 2013 and 2014 are different - but when it comes to what you get for your dollar, we would have had to pay substantially more for the touring package on the 2014, as it's only available on the GT, which also meant the bigger engine, and not as good fuel economy. I wasn't impressed with the cloth seats in the 2014 - they seemed like they'd be quite vulnerable to damage and didn't seem as comfortable. We also actually didn't like the popup-style screen in the 2014 (found it distracting/not terribly attractive), though the backup camera was nice.

MoT had one exactly the same as we bought on AutoTrader, but it was a demo with 25,000 km on it. It was $3400 less than our before tax price. There was also one in Orangeville (new) at about $100 more than we paid, on AutoTrader, with the cash incentive etc.

MacPaddy
02-16-2014, 03:13 PM
All depends on how much you value the extra options. IMO some extra options don't really add to the resale value of the car.

For such a small car, is dual zone climate control really a plus? (is it even on larger cars?)

With a of potential 4 drivers, two of which are fairly young, how will the leather seats hold up?

But like loki have already mentioned, you made the purchase, enjoy it and take care of it :)

Actually, based on our 7 years with the leather seats in our Sienna, and a similar amount of time with the cloth seats in our old Accord, I'd say the leather has a better chance of being in good shape 7 years from now!

As for the dual climate control thing - it's not so much the dual thing that I like in a small car, it's the fact that you can set the temperature, rather than fiddling with a dial which doesn't actually maintain a certain temp. Every car I've had without the temperature control by temperature (ie: a real thermostat) I've found I've had to fiddle a whole lot more - typically turning things down or up after driving for a bit and then having to adjust again depending on the sun. And the different zones in the Sienna have definitely been nice and useful - there have been many times when my husband and I have had the temp set differently for the passenger and the driver. I don't know if it will make as much difference in a smaller car, of course.

Jackal
02-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Good deal. Your family will love the car.

r4mi5awi
02-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Enjoy your car

I think that means no.

+1 but enjoy your car!

zmz3
02-16-2014, 04:38 PM
Turn on the ignition ... Put the gear into Drive... go for a nice ride and throw it around some corners... do you hear "zoom zoom", more specifically, do you have a smile on your face? if so, you did very well :)

Enjoy the car ! I'm sure you got some sort of an incentive as you bought a brand new 2013 model in year 2014.

MacPaddy
02-16-2014, 05:13 PM
Well, just discovered unhaggle.com and I figure we may have paid about $400 more than average, and there are some fees that aren't included in their totals. (Need to check what exactly those were when I get back to the dealership on Tuesday - $399 and $75, but don't have the actual invoice at the moment) And if I'd really haggled I might have got it down another $500 -$700 + the key. My first instinct had been to offer them $1K less and I should have stuck with that (+ the key). My husband thought I'd done well at the time. If we hadn't been a bit pressed for time, as we really do need to get a car by this week, I might have had a bit more time to check around and also might have discovered this forum and given Jeff a call too. Anyway - as you've all noted, water under the bridge and I can't do anything about it now. I guess I should buy cars more often - I was completely out of practice! :P

peterm15
02-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Nvm. Had to reread.

Enjoy the car.

MacPaddy
02-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Just realized I posted the wrong price in the first post - it should have been $25,325, including the license transfer. I was looking at their original offer - before I countered. Also just realized what the other fees are: security package (car is already etched) and the wheel locks. Neither of those items are listed at unhaggle.com, which means all told, we paid about 5% over the dealer invoice, depending on the cost to the dealer of the etching and wheel locks. And got a free key. Ok - feeling a little better about the price now. ;)

Jeff-TheBiz
02-24-2014, 05:55 PM
considering I was selling the GSL for $19675 plus hst ($22232.75) and the Touring pkg cost $1400 plus HST ($1582)....

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?74225-quot-Jeff-TheBiz-quot-Blowout-pricing-on-2013-Mazda3-GS-with-Moonroof-amp-GSL

loki
02-24-2014, 08:38 PM
considering I was selling the GSL for $19675 plus hst ($22232.75) and the Touring pkg cost $1400 plus HST ($1582)....

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?74225-quot-Jeff-TheBiz-quot-Blowout-pricing-on-2013-Mazda3-GS-with-Moonroof-amp-GSL

Ya bad

geokilla
02-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Winter has hit the forums it seems.

Not every young male does what you're implying.

TayTay
02-25-2014, 02:12 PM
all I can say is ... dealer needs more customers like you. They should be sending you a huge Thankyou card + some (Platnium seats) Leafs tickets.

Enjoy the car.

kimy27
02-28-2014, 10:00 AM
i think you did a good deal, compared with my purchase.

Flunk
02-28-2014, 10:59 PM
Just go enjoy your car. With any luck you'll be driving it for years to come. My 2010 is holding up really well.

expir3d
03-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Pretty sure with a bit more negotiating, you could have shaved down the price a bit more! (I managed to pick up my 2012 skyactive mazda 3 for 20,000 taxes and fees included last year). It's a great car though, you're going to enjoy driving it.

Mingo85
03-27-2014, 10:42 PM
Enjoy your car

+1

Don't sweat the small stuff. A car isn't a small purchase but the fact that it is in the past now and can't be changed makes it small stuff to not sweat over.