PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light

Xenon
07-11-2004, 10:15 AM
I was driving today on some residential roads, going about 55 km/h. My check engine light came on.

Last Oil Change @ 3802 km
Current Odometer reading: 8232 km

I was planning to wait until 10000 km for my next oil change and do it every 5000 afterwards.

Any ideas? I\'m bringing it to a Mazda Dealer on Monday if the light doesn\'t go off.

bluntman
07-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Generally, CELs don\'t turn off by themselves. At the very least bring it into the dealership to have them read the code being sent out by the computer.

Snipes
07-11-2004, 11:25 AM
The CEL will turn off if you reset the computer. If it was just a glitch then unhook the battery for a couple of hours and leave your lights on. If when you re-connect the battery and it still comes on then you may have a problem. Before you goto Mazda though I would just reset the computer because that\'s all they are going to do to it.

miggiddy
07-11-2004, 04:31 PM
Did you purchase gas the same day the CEL lit up? Have you checked your gas cap? Sorry just thinking of some simple things.

Xenon
07-11-2004, 05:41 PM
Gas Cap was fine. It wasn\'t the problem.

After 3 restarts (not all in a row, but throughout today, the light has gone off. I\'m going to get a diagnostic on it anyways tomorrow.

miggiddy
07-12-2004, 09:00 AM
Yikes! Good luck, keep us posted.

rbart4506
07-12-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Xenon

Gas Cap was fine. It wasn\'t the problem.

After 3 restarts (not all in a row, but throughout today, the light has gone off. I\'m going to get a diagnostic on it anyways tomorrow.

The light going out is normal after a number of engine cycles (turning car on and off)...

If there truly is a problem the light will come on again...

I think the code will still be present and can be read...

DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!!! Doing so clears the code and makes it impossible for the tech to see what happened...

I know it sucks, but the best thing to do is take it in and see what is up...

Rich

Xenon
07-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Went to Oakville Mazda today for the engine light....

Since the light went off they said they won\'t find anything. The car should be fine.

If it comes on again, they said to bring it back to them.

MajesticBlueNTO
07-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Xenon

Went to Oakville Mazda today for the engine light....

Since the light went off they said they won\'t find anything. The car should be fine.

If it comes on again, they said to bring it back to them.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) are always stored in memory once the CEL goes on; even when the light goes off it remains in memory. At least this was the case with the Nissan Consult-II - a $9000 unit. However, if you\'re using a $200 scan tool from CanTire, it only reads the code when the CEL is on.

cliff\'s notes: the dealer should have the tools necessary to read stored DTCs.

midnightfxgt
07-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Hes right! :)

CELs are stored in the computer. On my Probe I can check them by jumping a couple pins. Make the dealer check the codes. If it wasnt under warrenty I would say set the computer, and see.

~JOHN

Xenon
07-25-2004, 07:21 PM
Back in the middle of July, the Engine light was caused by a loose gas cap.

Now, my Engine light is on again. I took it to Westowne and they found a problem with my Purge Solenoid. This part I was told has something to do with Fuel pressure.

The problem is that that part is back ordered by 4-6 weeks at Westowne. I was told to drive the car like normal even if the engine light comes on...

And I have done so. But now things have escalated. My car now stalls after starting it... but only after refueling. It starts fine on any other occasion. My check engine light is once again on, most likely caused by that purge solinoid.

With the part on back order, I\'m not exactly sure I want to be driving the car. I\'m bringing it again to Westowne tomorrow to get another diagnostic and see if there is ANYTHING they can do.

MZ3_GS
07-25-2004, 10:38 PM
Guys don\'t just reset the CEL when it comes on, it means there something wrong. Get the code pulled ASAP.