PDA

View Full Version : Rust Spots on Mazda3 GX - Rail Dust

ZoomZoomM3S2010
04-13-2014, 10:17 PM
I bought my Mazda 3 GX Sport brand new in 2010 from Ajax Mazda in 2010. It's Crystal Pearl White.

I purchased the Rust undercoating and we were told it had a Warranty.

After I washed my car this past weekend (for the first time since the January thaw), I noticed little tiny rust dots sporadically spread all over my car doors, the hatchback, and even the fiberglass bumper!

When I called the dealership, they told me, that I was supposed to bring in my car every 2 years for them to check it over and see if there were any issues. I never did that. I didn't know I had to. I never even received REMINDERS! Yet, I'll receive a reminder for an oil change all the time.

My dilemma is, I checked my glove compartment for the paperwork in the pouch for my car, and lo and behold, on the back of the warranty for my rust proofing, there was a sheet which had 'check tickets' one at 24, 48, 36 months etc.

I didn't use any of them, because I never took it in.

I'm going to be taking it in next weekend to speak to an assistant manager in hopes that they will honor the warranty and fix it. I'm so pissed off. It's so noticeable. I feel like I've wasted my money on the rust proofing.
Regardless of whether or not I was supposed to bring it in, I still think it's a shoddy job. My boyfriend drives a 1996 Neon, and there are no such spots on his car except for the natural rust/corrosion on the corners of the door.

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED ANY TROUBLE WHEN THEY WENT IN TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT EVEN THOUGH THEY NEVER TOOK IT IN AT ANY TIME TO HAVE IT CHECKED?

Am I pretty much screwed out of my warranty because I didn't practice due diligence (that I didn't even think I needed to practice?)

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

aris
04-13-2014, 10:20 PM
Rail dust.... You need to clay bar your car and then wax.

their is many threads on this

mystix
04-13-2014, 11:00 PM
Sounds like you have a uphill battle with the warranty if you ever have issues.

Fortunately, like Aris mentioned, you have rail dust. You can do it the hard way and clay bar your car or get a bottle of iron-x.

Canadian tire won't sell it but eshine and wisdom detail will have it. I believe they are both sponsors

Lmmorden
04-13-2014, 11:09 PM
Fiberglass rust?

r4mi5awi
04-13-2014, 11:35 PM

Fortunately, like Aris mentioned, you have rail dust. You can do it the hard way and clay bar your car or get a bottle of iron-x.

Canadian tire won't sell it but eshine and wisdom detail will have it. I believe they are both sponsors

If you don't have the time or expertise to effectively get rid of the rail dust. You can contact one of the sponsors for a detail. At least on the bright side, it's not actual rust :)

Also, always a good idea to read all fine print, especially warranties. I too bought rust warranty back in 2012, read the fine print there and then and will take it in before this year is over.

Jackal
04-13-2014, 11:36 PM

Canadian Tire sells clay bar kits by Meguiars and Mothers.

If you do get anything from eshine or wisdom detail get IronX to get rid of that nasty rail dust.

Cab0oze
04-14-2014, 08:01 AM
I keep hearing about people freaking out about rail dust, makes me laugh. One local guy the other day was just about to sand it down and use touchup paint at the advice of other members regarding his "rusting rock chip" :P

Stathakos
04-14-2014, 10:07 AM
I keep hearing about people freaking out about rail dust, makes me laugh. One local guy the other day was just about to sand it down and use touchup paint at the advice of other members regarding his "rusting rock chip" :P

omg..

r4BBiT
04-14-2014, 11:19 AM
To the OP, you should always read a fine-print for those warranties. I was not told that by the dealer as well, but found out later and have been taking it for inspection every other year (I was told I don't need to do every year). They don't remind you about it as this basically separate company (Sym-Tech in my case) and they don't have any stake in it.

Also you can tell them to touch-up spots during inspections if you see that some of it came of. That was the case for me for the skirts joining rocker panel with under-body. As for "rust" other already answered it; i.e. clay bar for the win ;)

bilinz
04-14-2014, 12:18 PM
I noticed some rail dust on my car this weekend. From what I've read I should do the following..

Wash. Ironx. Clay. Seal and/or wax.

What would people suggest to use as a sealant or wax? I already own everything else but I always get confused between sealants.. Polishes.. Waxes. Some of the terms I find are used interchangeably by various companies so any help would be appreciated!

Cab0oze
04-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Skip ironx, i have no idea what that is (aside from stuff that will strip metal and take stains out of clothes), but it is definitely not necessary.
Clay or polish to remove the spot, seal or wax to protect (and no, i have no idea about the difference. AFAIK it is all the same, just varying degrees of durability/quality. If you're just shopping at CT, it is a total tossup. Just get whatever good brand is on sale and call it a day...

fruitloops
04-14-2014, 11:23 PM
Fiberglass rust?

Yes, I can confirm my shower is rusting.

Lmmorden
04-14-2014, 11:25 PM
Yes, I can confirm my shower is rusting.

:facepalm

mystix
04-15-2014, 12:02 AM
Skip ironx, i have no idea what that is (aside from stuff that will strip metal and take stains out of clothes), but it is definitely not necessary.
Clay or polish to remove the spot, seal or wax to protect (and no, i have no idea about the difference. AFAIK it is all the same, just varying degrees of durability/quality. If you're just shopping at CT, it is a total tossup. Just get whatever good brand is on sale and call it a day...

Why would you tell someone not to use a product if you have no idea what it does?

It depends on how bad his rail dust is. I noticed I had it all over my car and spent the entire day claying my car before I can opti-coat it. It took 3-5mins per section to remove the rail dust with a clay bar.
Had I known about ironx, it wouldve taken 20mins.

bilinz
04-15-2014, 01:09 AM
Why would you tell someone not to use a product if you have no idea what it does?

It depends on how bad his rail dust is. I noticed I had it all over my car and spent the entire day claying my car before I can opti-coat it. It took 3-5mins per section to remove the rail dust with a clay bar.

Yeah most things I have read up on say ironx is the first step in removal and to clay the second. Though I don't think mine are too bad.

Maybe I'll talk to one of the sponsors about getting the spots removed and veh all sealed and wax.

Cab0oze
04-15-2014, 07:57 AM

Oh, well between polish or clay (both of which are important tools in your car detailing kit) you can remove these spots in seconds. I was just saying it wasn't necessary to go purchase a new dedicated product just for that... If you're a professional detailer and have room in your garage for a product for every different kind of paint contamination, then great, but for the avg person it's not necessary.

m_bisson
04-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Clay and polish does NOT remove the metal that caused the rust spot in the first place.
If you use iron- properly, you won't see rail dust each spring. It's a one-time fix.

IMPORTANT!!! After uses iron-x, which is basically an acid, you must rinse and wash thoroughly with an alkalai based soap, or the acid will damage the paint.

So, in order: wash, ironx, wash again, clay, polish, wax.

Timotee
04-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Discovered rail dust on my car the moment I started blasting them salt and dirt from the winter beating. I waited until the weather got better and brought out my trusty CLAY bar.....voila......rail dust begone.

By the way, even if you missed the 24th month inspection, you can always use the 36th month (or 48th even) to have them verify the "rust". Either way, they will need to honor the warranty and undertake the necessary work if it is indeed "rust".

aZuMi
04-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Nextmod also carries Iron-X. I used it the past weekend and it works wonders on any white car.

The only con about it is the smell...

Jackal
04-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Nextmod also carries Iron-X. I used it the past weekend and it works wonders on any white car.

The only con about it is the smell...

Hate da smell. There's supposed to be a cherry scent or other but I think it just masks the smell. But it's probably the best one.

tweak_s
06-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Glad you just had rail dust.. and not real rust yet. The kind that blows up. I had mine fixed under the factory warranty though i did purchase extended warranty (the first gen's had it extended).

I serviced my car to keep warranty through the first 3 years and eventually stopped once warranty was up as I did it myself. My rust from the fix came back and I came in with my extended warranty and got your same explanation - that inspections were needed and I was a year and half out of my last one. The manager at this point tried to help but I thought it was an uphill battle - the car though got totalled (rear end) a few weeks later so the situation never got finished... but the moral of the story is; you don't have real rust yet, get that warranty back somehow.

CarLadyLisa
06-12-2014, 04:15 PM
I bought my Mazda 3 GX Sport brand new in 2010 from Ajax Mazda in 2010. It's Crystal Pearl White.

After I washed my car this past weekend (for the first time since the January thaw), I noticed little tiny rust dots sporadically spread all over my car doors, the hatchback, and even the fiberglass bumper!

When I called the dealership, they told me, that I was supposed to bring in my car every 2 years for them to check it over and see if there were any issues. I never did that. I didn't know I had to. I never even received REMINDERS! Yet, I'll receive a reminder for an oil change all the time.

My dilemma is, I checked my glove compartment for the paperwork in the pouch for my car, and lo and behold, on the back of the warranty for my rust proofing, there was a sheet which had 'check tickets' one at 24, 48, 36 months etc.

I'm going to be taking it in next weekend to speak to an assistant manager in hopes that they will honor the warranty and fix it. I'm so pissed off. It's so noticeable. I feel like I've wasted my money on the rust proofing.
Regardless of whether or not I was supposed to bring it in, I still think it's a shoddy job. My boyfriend drives a 1996 Neon, and there are no such spots on his car except for the natural rust/corrosion on the corners of the door.

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED ANY TROUBLE WHEN THEY WENT IN TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT EVEN THOUGH THEY NEVER TOOK IT IN AT ANY TIME TO HAVE IT CHECKED?

Am I pretty much screwed out of my warranty because I didn't practice due diligence (that I didn't even think I needed to practice?)

Perhaps I can shed some light. Please read carefully.

Rail Dust is a completely separate monster than Rust and Corrosion. Rail dust is something that occurs during shipping. It is not there from the factory. Most White vehicles seem to be most affected because it is the most apparent. Rail Dust is not covered under any warranty as it is an ailment from an exterior factoid. Such as a rusting stone chip would also be. It can be cured with the suggestions from the others on this thread. Clay bar, waxing. It is likely more apparent now because of time.

Rust. Rust occurs when bare metal is exposed to the elements. Stone chips may rust or perhaps from all the salt in the winter. Undercoating helps prevent this without a doubt, but is limited to the undercarriage. A Corrosion Module (ECC) through Sym-Tech will aid in preventing this from happening by neutralizing the effects of oxidization. It will also include the horizontal body panels. Surface rust components may be covered under the warranty for a max of 6 years. (May require the paint Protection Component for this coverage) Lifetime guarantee on the unit doing it's job. No inspections required.

Corrosion. Mazda now offers an 8 year corrosion Warranty. Corrosive rust that begins from the inside out. It does not occur from outside factors, but a defect in the workmanship of how the body panels are manufactured. Ie. Holding water, not sealed, premature bubbling. The Warranty require an Annual Perforation Warranty Body Inspection that is completed with your yearly service at 12 months or 24,000kms. This is new as of I believe late last year. Extended from the 5 years originally offered. Our service team provides a copy of the report.

These are the difference. My advice, next time around sign up for the ECC model along with the Paint Protection (perma wax). It will get rid of it before its even an issue and keep your car looking hot. It is difficult to predict this because it does not happen to every car. It's easy to prevent.

You have not wasted your money on the undercoating. It will prevent the undercarriage from being eaten by the beast that is Winter. Before you speak to your dealer, have a look at the Warranty Booklet in your vehicle. It explains the scope of the Corrosion warranty from the manufacturer.

Might not be exactly what you want to hear but I hope that helps. :)

ecmirand
03-28-2015, 01:03 PM
Gonna revive this thread instead of creating a new one. Hopefully it's the right section.

So after washing my car today, looking at the inside "shell" tip of my left tail lights, I see a 0.5-1cm "rust/rail dust" looking line/gash. Last summer, I got my tail lights tinted. Using Q-tip to reach it doesn't work lol.

a) Is this raildust/rust?
b) If rust, did the tail light tinting job have anything to do with this?
c) If rust, since it's only small, how do you go ahead on fixing this? I wanna make sure that if it's rust, it doesn't spread.

Thanks.

jswift79
03-28-2015, 01:35 PM
got pics of this rail dust? i want to take a look in my car (just washed it) lol

i have 2012 Mazda3, and i dont see any rust. i patch up my paint chips anywhere and everywhere on my car lol

ecmirand
03-28-2015, 02:02 PM
I'll post it in a bit. Gotta get it out in the sun lol.

aris
03-28-2015, 02:08 PM
got pics of this rail dust? i want to take a look in my car (just washed it) lol

i have 2012 Mazda3, and i dont see any rust. i patch up my paint chips anywhere and everywhere on my car lol

rail dust shows up on white cars

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af102/aristeidis/64C228C4-2235-4803-9DD5-7C9FF5C995AD_zpsjiuqpupq.jpg (http://s998.photobucket.com/user/aristeidis/media/64C228C4-2235-4803-9DD5-7C9FF5C995AD_zpsjiuqpupq.jpg.html)

ecmirand
03-28-2015, 02:47 PM
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8707/16771454979_83e762a166_s.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ry36fT)DSC02909 (https://flic.kr/p/ry36fT) by emman817 (https://www.flickr.com/people/130462826@N06/), on Flickr

Canadianbacon
03-28-2015, 02:48 PM
2010 CWP you can easily spot the rail dust if you look closey.

ecmirand
03-28-2015, 02:48 PM
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8719/16957682295_bce56ec510_s.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rQuy9F)DSC02910 (https://flic.kr/p/rQuy9F) by emman817 (https://www.flickr.com/people/130462826@N06/), on Flickr

Should have put everything in one post lol

Captain Mazda
03-30-2015, 05:04 PM

I was never told about that either and although it's easy to blame yourself, I specifically asked if there was anything I needed to do with regards to the rust warranty and the sales manager said "no, it's lifetime and you don't need to worry about it". This was at the time of purchase. I had an inspection done at Budds' shortly after the 2-year interval had passed but the tech told me there was no corrosion and everything was fine, so when I ended up having a rust spot under the side skirt last fall I showed them the paperwork that claimed everything was fine and got them to honour the rust warranty. I don't know if it'll apply to rail dust but I hope they help you out since it's definitely not an isolated incident.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8719/16957682295_bce56ec510_s.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rQuy9F)DSC02910 (https://flic.kr/p/rQuy9F) by emman817 (https://www.flickr.com/people/130462826@N06/), on Flickr

Should have put everything in one post lol

Sigh, Mazda paint is so cheap. Just like their metal :/

Cab0oze
03-30-2015, 06:40 PM
I was never told about that either and although it's easy to blame yourself, I specifically asked if there was anything I needed to do with regards to the rust warranty and the sales manager said "no, it's lifetime and you don't need to worry about it". This was at the time of purchase. I had an inspection done at Budds' shortly after the 2-year interval had passed but the tech told me there was no corrosion and everything was fine, so when I ended up having a rust spot under the side skirt last fall I showed them the paperwork that claimed everything was fine and got them to honour the rust warranty. I don't know if it'll apply to rail dust but I hope they help you out since it's definitely not an isolated incident.

Mazda paint isn't the issue... sure it is thin, but this is not a $40,000+ luxury car. And I'm never going to complain because they have always had beautiful colors unlike every other manufacturer. The real issues are design flaws combined with cheap metal and insufficient protection.

Captain Mazda
03-31-2015, 01:52 PM
Agreed, the ass-backwards concept of salting roads here only precipitates that :/

Cab0oze
03-31-2015, 05:31 PM
Agreed, the ass-backwards concept of salting roads here only precipitates that :/
Yep... that too :(

ecmirand
03-31-2015, 06:47 PM

I still like my Mazda regardless of this issue lol. You think I can go back to who did my tailtints and say they should fix it for me? If not I'll probably have to ask around how to fix it myself.

SonicBoy
03-31-2015, 07:12 PM
Rail dust is not only from shipping the car via train. It comes more from the brakes that are semi metallic and drivers on the road. Other vehicles, trucks especially use metallic pads and it becomes air borne. These particles stick to the surface of your car and start to corrode with the harsh salt on the road and in the air. It becomes stuck and then embedded into the paint.

It shows more prominent on white. One way to minimize it is to ensure you wash your car regularly and ensure you clean seal/wax your car at least once a season at a minimum.

Rust proofing has no bearing on "rail dust" contamination so the OP should not link the two and feel PO that they are out a warranty. If you got paint protection, that would be a different story.

js593
06-04-2015, 08:00 PM
decontaminate/claybar/polish/wax

Start googling

2012mazda3hatch
04-07-2017, 08:28 AM
Hey everyone,
I had a bunch of the rail dust on my white Mazda 3, it was very noticeable. I clay barred my car and it all came off! Looks brand new again! I used maguires clay bar kit from Canadian tire. Cost 30$, highly recommend it!

js593
04-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Hey everyone,
I had a bunch of the rail dust on my white Mazda 3, it was very noticeable. I clay barred my car and it all came off! Looks brand new again! I used maguires clay bar kit from Canadian tire. Cost 30$, highly recommend it!
Make sure you've sealed your paint.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

2012mazda3hatch
04-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Yes great point, after I clayed my car I used NuFinish once a year car polish, not the squeeze bottle but the tub you have to use a screwdriver to open. Looked awesome

HellIan33
06-25-2019, 01:30 AM
Hey everyone,

I'll try that one and hope it really have that amazing result.

G ~ MINI
06-25-2019, 12:03 PM
Im need to do a clay bar ... Im lazy at washing the car... time to give her some TLC
Working on the hood paint chips first...

Flagrum_3
06-25-2019, 09:58 PM
I'll try that one and hope it really have that amazing result.

I use Mother's Clay bar kit, it worked wonders. Its practically the same as the Maguires. Although I think Maguires now has a kit with a softer bar.

_3

Hives
07-20-2019, 06:26 AM
Happens when particles settle on paint. Just spray WD-40 on it. Let it sit for 7 min. Then wipe off. The rust specs are gone. Then wash your car with soap and water to remove the WD-40.

Flagrum_3
07-21-2019, 01:22 PM
Happens when particles settle on paint. Just spray WD-40 on it. Let it sit for 7 min. Then wipe off. The rust specs are gone. Then wash your car with soap and water to remove the WD-40.

Spray it with WD-40? All that does is cover the issue, it does not remove the rail dust or particles.

Only with a proper clay bar procedure can rail dust be removed. Even Iron-X does zip except show you where the main particles are.

Its not a hard job to do and can be done in one afternoon.

_3