PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Toyota Corolla XRS

miggiddy
07-28-2004, 11:21 AM
I saw one at the Toyota dealership at Dixie/401. It was white, with tint. Looked pretty good. I wonder how they drive. I am happy to see that Toyota decided to actually do something about it, because the Corolla S is just a skirt package and spoiler.

Site 1 (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.mv?file=car.mv&num=1805)

A bit on the pricey side, about $24,200. But if the fuel economy is there, it would make for a great commuter. Styling, I\'m not crazy about but not too bad.

bluntman
07-28-2004, 11:52 AM
Ugh! It\'s still a Corolla though.

wtom
07-28-2004, 12:35 PM
I agree with bluntman... to me, the name \"Corolla\" gives me the blah response.

That and the backside... usually see it on the main streets slowing down traffic on the far left lane... bastards. :p

170hp eh? Wow... 1.8 litre... the gauge cluster panel looks so cheap though.

They\'re moving this car up a level, right? ie. becoming more of a sedan class (along the lines of Accord, Mazda6, etc.) while the Echo is the new economy/compact class (ie. Civic)?

FLIPDADY
07-28-2004, 01:50 PM
Corolla=Driving school vehicle:D

miggiddy
07-28-2004, 02:08 PM
The Corolla is the same class as M3. I love our M3, but it\'s still an M3. Just like any other car company it\'s still their bottom end car. I\'m sure if we all had money, most of us, if not all of us would buy something else. But \'bang for the buck\' is what majority of us are looking for and that\'s where I think the M3 wins.

I have always like the white faced guages. Especially on the previous Maximas, Altimas, and SE-Rs. They had the very cool black on white in day light and when you turned on the headlights they reversed to white on black. Wish I could find a mod like that for the M3, espcially with the blue light reflecting off the white.

miggiddy
07-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Corolla=Driving school vehicle:D

LOL

MajesticBlueNTO
07-28-2004, 03:06 PM
i have a corolla as a rental right now and, unbiased opinion, this car doesn\'t hold a candle to the mazda3. this coming from a co-worker who had the unfortunate luck of hitching a ride with me.

the seating position is more akin to that of a minivan or a \'tall wagon\'. i have to sit with the seat pushed back all the way and my knees are still bent way more than they should be. oh, there\'s a lot of seat travel, but if you push the seat all the way up, only an infant would be able to fit given the legroom and space between the seat bottom and the dashboard (it was entertaining watching my 6 foot co-worker try to sit with the seat pushed up all the way).

the radio is in the worst position possible...high and a far reach from the steering wheel. it is in an unnatural position. mind you the display for the radio is perfect for the eyes but the placement of the controls are not perfect for adjusting.

the back seat is miniscule when the front seats are pushed back (which they will be when anyone 6 feet and above are sitting in the front).

the car floats too much over undulations on the highway. almost as if toyota was going after the junior buick feel.

one thing i must say though is that the engine is quite peppy. the automatic is geared fairly well and it pulls rather nicely.

however, if i were in a stupified state to cross-shop the corolla and the 3, i\'d take the 3 any day. you get more for your $$ in the 3 vs. the corolla.

which leads me to say, as a rental, i\'d take the Chevy Malibu ANY day over the corolla and the camry.

p.s. prepare to be surprised by the Corolla XRS - do not take it lightly at a stoplight drag.

Xenon
07-28-2004, 06:38 PM
I cam across a new Sentra SE-R Spec V (170 hp) at a light.... I knew I\'d lose so I wouldn\'t even try...

If I had that 20 hp lost through the AT, I might give it a shot. I think a 5 speed 3 could take on an SE-R Spec V.... right?

miggiddy
07-28-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Xenon

I cam across a new Sentra SE-R Spec V (170 hp) at a light.... I knew I\'d lose so I wouldn\'t even try...

If I had that 20 hp lost through the AT, I might give it a shot. I think a 5 speed 3 could take on an SE-R Spec V.... right?

I was considering an SE-R, unfortunately they killed the front end on the 04. I found the SE-R a little more raw power v.s. the M3 it seems more smooth. The SE-R has a limited slip differential, so perhaps it might have a slight advantage on a launch. Obviously different gear ratios with a 6 speed, another thing I wish the M3 had for cruising along on the hwy.

But it would be close, I\'m not sure what sorta whp they put down.

FLIPDADY
07-29-2004, 09:25 AM
Just remember Xenon to keep it on the track. :)

The Spec-V is a pretty quick car I\'m not sure the 3 could take it.:)

dredd2099
07-29-2004, 11:25 AM

unless the driver doesnt know what he/she\'s doing
No

rsx_r04
09-06-2004, 03:54 AM

No, even a 5 speed Mazda3 GT couldn\'t take the Spec V in terms of performance, or handling. Spec V is nice car, but it\'s not as luxurious or feature-laden as our 3.

Getting back to the main subject, XRS is very powerful. Anything over 5000 rpm, and the engine barks! I also like the 6 speed, but the interior is exactly the same as the base corolla (save for the optitorn gauges).

I chose a 3 over XRS. The Mz3 is better than Ralliart, XRS, Spec V, and that stupid POS Ford Focus ST (2005 version).

Enjoy your 3, guys!

Mmm
09-11-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by miggiddy

The Corolla is the same class as M3. I love our M3, but it\'s still an M3. Just like any other car company it\'s still their bottom end car. I\'m sure if we all had money, most of us, if not all of us would buy something else. But \'bang for the buck\' is what majority of us are looking for and that\'s where I think the M3 wins.
[...]

I guess it depends on how much more money! I considered cars in both the same and next price range and decided on the M3.

* Corolla ... didn\'t try the XRS. The model I drove felt very much like my 97 Protege, and was a definite possiblity, although nothing to get excited about. Would have been good value, if not for the M3.

* Camry ... I loved the power adjustments, but I hated driving the car... it felt so loose and floaty. I can\'t believe I used to drive one... I don\'t remember it being like that. But I guess I am spoiled from years of Protege driving.

* Acura ... I hate the look of the new low end models. And the salesperson wasn\'t helpful.

* Suburu Imprezza .... When I found out that the back seats don\'t split 60/40, decided to rule it out. Maybe if I had test driven, I would have been converted. But I just was not excited.

* Mazda 6 ... The interior was very pleasant, but as we were comparing an M3 GT with a 2.3L Mazda 6, it\'s probably not a surprise that the 6 did not impress us. The driving was sedate, and the turning radius terrible. A friend who drives a Sienna and had rented a Mazda 6 for a few days told me that his Sienna has a tighter turning radius! No wonder Mazda\'s offering such great incentives on the 6.

billyfo
09-11-2004, 12:31 PM
If you read this month C&D, in the readers\' letter part, a guy complaint he had to replace 4 2ZZ engines and trans for his GT-S, same engine as the XRS also the Lotus Elise, so be care if you or your friends have 2ZZ engine car:p

dredd2099
09-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by rsx_r04

Getting back to the main subject, XRS is very powerful. Anything over 5000 rpm, and the engine barks! I also like the 6 speed

just an fyi
on mine, \'lift\' comes in at 6200
so the rolla xrs should be in/at bout same range
newer 2zz iterations hit \'lift\' at 6500

again, not much use if ur doin mostly city \'at the traffic\' driving
u gotta work harder than usual to extract the power outta it
id favor the 3 also

:D

rsx_r04
09-14-2004, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by dredd2099

Getting back to the main subject, XRS is very powerful. Anything over 5000 rpm, and the engine barks! I also like the 6 speed
just an fyi
on mine, \'lift\' comes in at 6200
so the rolla xrs should be in/at bout same range
newer 2zz iterations hit \'lift\' at 6500

id favor the 3 also

Hey! Thanks i guess! :)

While i was test driving the XRS, i didn\'t really see what RPM the Lift took place. It really felt that i was at around 5K rpm... this just shows that the RPM revs very freely!

But for just a little bit more performance, i don\'t wanna spend over $2,000 AND pay higher insurance AND fill the car up with premium. No thanks. I\'ll stick with my 3! :D

rsx_r04
09-14-2004, 03:59 AM
BTW, i guess you drive the Celica GT-S? \'Cuz you said your lift started at 6,200 RPM.

rsx_r04
09-14-2004, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by dredd2099
id favor the 3 also

That\'s true. But this car would be blast to drive from Vancouver to, say, Calgary! With twisty roads and a 9,000 redline (8,500?), all i can say is wow! ;)

dredd2099
09-14-2004, 04:59 PM

BTW, i guess you drive the Celica GT-S? \'Cuz you said your lift started at 6,200 RPM.

yes, sort of
lol, i have the fat celica (matrix)
redline at 8100, cutoff/limiter at 8400
engine is said to be tested and good till 11000
thry just wanna play it safe

and yes, premium gas only
sigh

dredd2099
09-14-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by billyfo

If you read this month C&D, in the readers\' letter part, a guy complaint he had to replace 4 2ZZ engines and trans for his GT-S, same engine as the XRS also the Lotus Elise, so be care if you or your friends have 2ZZ engine car:p

if you read it carefully it says that he blew one motor by mis-shifting. One was rebuilt wrong and TWO blew up under stress.
all happened at the TRACK

sounds like a noob (w/ money) to me trying too hard

MZ3_GS
09-18-2004, 03:23 AM
In defence of the Toyota Camp, Before the relase of the Mazda 3 I think it was Motor Trend, not sure though, rounded up all the compacts and The Corolla was the Fastest 0-60 and quarter mile.

And I would have to say that Any Mazda 3 doesn\'t stand a chance against the XRS Corolla. I would even go as far as saying that a Mazda3 Sport would be pretty even with a regular corolla.

MajesticBlueNTO
09-18-2004, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by MZ3_GS

I would even go as far as saying that a Mazda3 Sport would be pretty even with a regular corolla.

you are definitely smoking something. there is no way that a regular corolla would be even with a 3 Sport or any 3 with the 2.3L engine.

i\'ve rented a corolla and you can feel how much slower it is compared to the 3.

MZ3_GS
09-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Sure, whatever you say.

Numbers don\'t lie though a Mazda 3 Sport weights a good 400lb over a corolla.
I\'ve driven a corolla actually many and the Torque in that 1.8L just amazes me everytime.

rsx_r04
09-18-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by MZ3_GSAnd I would have to say that Any Mazda 3 doesn\'t stand a chance against the XRS Corolla. I would even go as far as saying that a Mazda3 Sport would be pretty even with a regular corolla.

That\'s true that no Mazda3 (any) stands a chance against the souped up XRS, but the regular fugly corolla? Come on!

Even the GX could take the corolla with ease! It wouldn\'t even be even at all, nor would it be fair! :D

rsx_r04
09-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Just checked C&D times for Mazda3 Sport and Corolla (base):

Mazda3 Sport: 0-60 in 7.4
Corolla: 0-60 in 8.1
Corolla XRS: 0-60 in 7.1

There you go. I hope that the Mazda3 GT (sedan) would be a little quicker than the Sport as it weighs like 100 lbs less.

wtom
09-18-2004, 05:18 PM

Mazda3 Sport: 0-60 in 7.4
Corolla XRS: 0-60 in 7.1

That is ****en SADDDDDDDDDDD... Now I REALLY gotta improve my shifting technique so that I can out drive ANY Corolla, even the XRS!!!!

hehehe j/k

Street Racing is Illegal, mmmkay...

rsx_r04
09-19-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by MZ3_GS

Originally posted by MZ3_GSAnd I would have to say that Any Mazda 3 doesn\'t stand a chance against the XRS Corolla. I would even go as far as saying that a Mazda3 Sport would be pretty even with a regular corolla.
That\'s true that no Mazda3 (any) stands a chance against the souped up XRS, but the regular fugly corolla? Come on!
Even the GX could take the corolla with ease! It wouldn\'t even be even at all, nor would it be fair! :D
Hell no, the 2.0 is SLOW :( .
I\'ve seen Corolla times in sub 8 seconds.
i.e. 7.9 - 7.7

Sub 8 seconds? Where? Unless that\'s the XRS.

I\'m not sure how slow the 2.0 litre engine is... perhaps the corolla base could take it.

But definitely not the 2.3!!!

MZ3_GS
09-19-2004, 02:54 PM
:( sorry i misread.....:sarc :( :p. The corolla is slower

Zaku_4
11-16-2004, 12:41 AM
my first post!

haha anyways yeah so the thing i dont like about the xrs is the fact that its still a corolla. maybe its just me =p

wtom
11-16-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Zaku_4

my first post!

haha anyways yeah so the thing i dont like about the xrs is the fact that its still a corolla. maybe its just me =p

Welcome to our club :) Nope, not just you... I hate anything Corolla related... I saw a champaigne colour Corolla the other night with HID\'s on... What... the ... fffffffffff...

bluntman
11-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by wtom

Welcome to our club :) Nope, not just you... I hate anything Corolla related... I saw a champaigne colour Corolla the other night with HID\'s on... What... the ... fffffffffff...

Does that include the Matrix?

wtom
11-16-2004, 10:50 AM
Umm... <looking around for dredd> :)

EDIT: Okay he\'s not around ... LOL ... no no Matrix is ALRIGHT... I meant direct relation to Corolla...

bluntman
11-16-2004, 10:59 AM

Just trying to get you into trouble!!!

miggiddy
11-16-2004, 02:21 PM

... I hate anything Corolla related... I saw a champaigne colour Corolla the other night with HID\'s on... What... the ... fffffffffff...

Now, now don\'t go dissin\' the rolla. If I can find a clean (relatively) \'85 I\'d buy it and fix like this one Linky (http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/660785/1).

wtom
11-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by miggiddy

Now, now don\'t go dissin\' the rolla. If I can find a clean (relatively) \'85 I\'d buy it and fix like this one Linky (http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/660785/1).

Those things make awesome drift cars! They can outdrift a lot of higher-end cars in drifting competitions! No joke! :(

Melenium
11-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Before getting the 3, the Vibe (Matrix in disguise) and Corolla were the only other cars that I tried out. The Toyota dealership said it would take a few days to \"order an XRS\" testdrive, so I decided to take out the top Coralla model that they had. Granted it didn\'t have the better engine/transmission, but it would at least give me a rough feel for the car. Oh, and they only had auto. Meh.

Well from the moment I got into the drivers seat I felt like a granny. The steering may as well have been connected by rubber bands. The gas pedal didn\'t lead to any excitement. The interior was just so \"bleh\". I haven\'t tested out the Camry, but the interior is far from inspiring either (at least in my books). Granted the XRS would have a lot more power, but little else would change.

The truth be told, the Corolla is a good entry car for getting from A to B safely and reliably. Thats about all though. The XRS will let you do it a bit faster, and thats it. :p

Newlook
11-17-2004, 11:19 PM
Not a fan of Toyota (sorry dredd :)), their designs are too \"special\"

Even if the XRS is faster than the Mz3.... still the Corolla doesn\'t look fast. Our 3s looks much better on the exterior IMO.

FLIPDADY
11-18-2004, 08:05 AM
The XRS is just a faster driving school car!!:p

ng3
11-26-2004, 11:28 PM
To put another spin on this, we are still talking about a Top model/engine combo on the rolla while I do not see a Mazdaspeed 3.

Can we please wait till that comes out and then we can compare?

I am almost certain there will not be any corolla with a bigger engine than the XRS, so don\'t you think the mspeed 3 will go way over 170 in hp?

All we can/should do now is compare 2.0/2.3 to the regular 1.8 that comes with the corolla now.

And I have raced a regular one (I got the 2.0 Auto) and I was able to pull in front after 70-80km/h (2nd gear)

MZ3_GS
12-16-2004, 01:32 PM
What\'s the big deal with hating corollas?
and I have the 2.0 Manual and it\'s slower than the Corolla.

Anyways, Corolla isn\'t that bad; Slap a set of spings on it and it\'ll have a nice RHI and handling like the 3.

Only thing I don\'t like about it are the Rear Drum Brakes. But that can be fixxed.;)

TheProfessor
12-16-2004, 02:28 PM
The Mazda3 may handle better than the Corolla and be quicker in base form, but to me they appeal to two very different markets. I will say this though.....where the 3 loses to any toyota is in build quality. My family owns three Mazda\'s and four Toyotas and even though I am a Mazda lover I have to admit the Mazda build quality is nowhere near as good as the Toyota. That being said, the Toyota\'s are mostly all bland in terms of styling, whereas Mazdas are more sporty looking with an emphasis on spirited driving! Toyota\'s used to have much better resale value than Mazda\'s as well, but that has started to change in recent years.

dredd2099
12-16-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by bluntman

Does that include the Matrix?

Umm... <looking around for dredd> :)

EDIT: Okay he\'s not around ... LOL ... no no Matrix is ALRIGHT... I meant direct relation to Corolla...

baaahahahahaha
since the thread is back from the dead might as well post up
that just cracked me up
hmmm...my manual says i\'ve got a corolla matrix

its ok, everybody got their own preferences
altho i can point this out to the corolla guys/gals and see what they might say bout it
theyr too goody two shoes to say anything anyhowz

Originally posted by Newlook

Not a fan of Toyota (sorry dredd :)), their designs are too \"special\"

Even if the XRS is faster than the Mz3.... still the Corolla doesn\'t look fast. Our 3s looks much better on the exterior IMO.

by \'special\' design, u mean like the 4th gen camry? eh heh
they still managed to sell loads of it tho
as for the looks dept, agreed

hey, how bout this rolla?
http://www.aznkid.com/motion/15.jpg

its a frends, u might have seen it around as well
he\'s from oakville/mississauga
he rarely drives it now, gettin bad mileage from engine swap probly

Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

The XRS is just a faster driving school car!!:p

http://www.vignando.com/albums/darknights6/110_1082.sized.jpg

teh drivin instructor
http://img55.photobucket.com/albums/v169/dredd2099/110_1069.jpg

some of teh students
http://www.vignando.com/albums/darknights6/DCP_0243.sized.jpg

http://www.vignando.com/albums/darknights6/110_1094.sized.jpg

miggiddy
12-17-2004, 09:44 AM
Nice school dreddd. Where do I sign up?http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/miggiddy/Gif/pimp.gif
Nice rolla your buddy has. Too bad about the engine.

kl7402001
12-22-2004, 03:04 PM
Yeah. Ok. Talk all the Shite about the XRS but no one here can keep up with a bone stock one....:p

car_demon
02-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Hmmm! Everyday commuting, drivability, and useable and practical torque without revving the shit outta an engine when you got at least 1 other person in a particular vehicle. However, higher revving engines appeal to some, with awesome fuel economy, quicker and frequent shifts in everyday driving. And WTF is with the tacky GFX cladding on the Corrolla?

Fuman
02-24-2005, 04:01 AM
There is a couple of XRS (both corolla and matrix) at headoffice where I worked for coop. There was a white corolla XRS that I liked, think it was lowerd even more than the stock one (stock XRS).
I was talking to one of owners, the gap between 1st and 2nd gear is too much, drops out of the power band.

I\'d still take the Mazda 3 Sport GT over it though. Cheaper, more lux, better daily driver, better looking.

I have to say the Matrix XR (not XRS) handles pretty close to a Mazda 3 Sport. (Test drove one). The body roll and chassis twisting is noticable on the Matrix and not so much on the three. The matrix did better than I expected it to be.

I know two idiots that drives the Matrix XR. Idiots cause they have no experience, no talent and no clue what they are doing. One totalled it, the other just almost as worse. As a result, no way Im getting a matrix