PDA

View Full Version : Just spent over $85 at CanTi...

wtom
07-31-2004, 12:14 PM
So I was talking to two of my buddies who have been taking care of their own cars for the past few years and I headed over to CanTi with their suggestions of what to buy for car cleaning;

Simoniz 24inch soft-tip brush (no water feed-thru); $12.99
California mini-duster (beats any Swifter duster); $13.99
Simoniz Gelwash (purple bottle); $10.99
RainX Spray bottle for window to be water-free; $10.99
The Absorber chamois (this is THE SHIT); $19.99
Simple Green, for soaking and rinsing off the rims; $6.99

Grand total; $87.34 ... I have never done this for my previous car! :D

Haven\'t gotten a chance to use anything due to the crap weather so far this weekend.

Also, I picked up two license plate covers (clear, bubble) from Pacific Mall for $8 cash, no tax. Here\'s the store;

Formula Import
Unit B72
Pacific Mall
4300 Steeles Ave. East (north east at Kennedy)

Couple pics of it (the plate just looks bare) at the link in my sig (July 30th dates).

Regards,
Warren

MajesticBlueNTO
07-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by wtom

Grand total; $87.34 ... I have never done this for my previous car! :D

didn\'t you drive a buick before? that could be why :p j/k :D

Haven\'t gotten a chance to use anything due to the crap weather so far this weekend.

Also, I picked up two license plate covers (clear, bubble) from Pacific Mall for $8 cash, no tax. Here\'s the store;

Couple pics of it (the plate just looks bare) at the link in my sig (July 30th dates).

Regards,
Warren

good thing you got clear. i\'m not sure where you live but i bought a smoked set of plate covers for my max when i lived in scarlem. got no hassles from the toronto police in that neighbourhood but, as soon as i moved to york region, i get pulled over at night because the cop \"couldn\'t see my license plate when he was behind me\" (even though his headlights were level with the license plate :sarc )

with the 3, i\'m just glad avante gave the clear plate covers for free. :)

miggiddy
07-31-2004, 08:12 PM
wtom - I hear ya bro. I think I spent about the same. I bought all sorts of stuff. Originally for the rims I bought some armour all rim cleaner, after I finished off that bottle (3 washes) I bought the Simple Green and it works okay, not as powerful, but regardless I found myself scrubbing down the rims with a sponge with either product. I have to figure out a better way to get the inside portion of the rims cleaned. There isn\'t much room for my hands.

Xenon
08-01-2004, 10:09 AM
The Avante Plates cover the entire plate right? It\'s not just a frame?

Do what newlook and I did.... Use some paint thinner (less than $2 @ home Depot) and rub off the ads.

Now you have a license plate cover that is worth $17 USD each... AND they don\'t have the bottom holes (none of the Mazda\'s use the bottome screws).

wtom
08-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

didn\'t you drive a buick before? that could be why :p j/k :D

Heheh no offense taken, that is pretty much why. :)

good thing you got clear. i\'m not sure where you live but i bought a smoked set of plate covers for my max when i lived in scarlem. got no hassles from the toronto police in that neighbourhood but, as soon as i moved to york region, i get pulled over at night because the cop \"couldn\'t see my license plate when he was behind me\" (even though his headlights were level with the license plate :sarc )

I\'ve heard of ppl getting stopped for the smoked covers, and like Xenon suggested at the second meet, getting the blue covers would be over-doing it on the same-coloured car... and hell no with the pink. :)

Miggidy; I\'m thinking toothbrush to get a bit deeper into the rim? Haven\'t actually tried it yet though...

Xenon; forgot about that... DOH!

Newlook
08-01-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by wtom

I\'ve heard of ppl getting stopped for the smoked covers, and like Xenon suggested at the second meet, getting the blue covers would be over-doing it on the same-coloured car... and hell no with the pink. :)

I\'ve seen red/pink... looks like one of those ambassador plates. And the yellow even worse, looks like a dealer plate (the blue letters turn black with the cover). I\'m sure you have a better chance to get a ticket with red/yellow covers...

Miggidy; I\'m thinking toothbrush to get a bit deeper into the rim? Haven\'t actually tried it yet though...

Someone said you\'ll eventrually get swirl marks if you brush it?

I went to crappy tire in several occasions so I don\'t know how much I spent :sarc
Wal-mart is always cheaper on the same product btw.

Newlook
08-01-2004, 05:53 PM

Did the cop give you a ticket?

Newlook
08-01-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by miggiddy

wtom - I hear ya bro. I think I spent about the same. I bought all sorts of stuff. Originally for the rims I bought some armour all rim cleaner, after I finished off that bottle (3 washes) I bought the Simple Green and it works okay, not as powerful, but regardless I found myself scrubbing down the rims with a sponge with either product. I have to figure out a better way to get the inside portion of the rims cleaned. There isn\'t much room for my hands.

Take the wheels off :D

MajesticBlueNTO
08-02-2004, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Newlook

Did the cop give you a ticket?

he let me off with a warning and said that a $5 plate cover wasn\'t worth the $110 ticket.

MajesticBlueNTO
08-02-2004, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Xenon

Do what newlook and I did.... Use some paint thinner (less than $2 @ home Depot) and rub off the ads.

Now you have a license plate cover that is worth $17 USD each... AND they don\'t have the bottom holes (none of the Mazda\'s use the bottome screws).

yup, the avante plate cover covers the entire plate. :)

jdanielsg
08-22-2005, 03:33 AM
i got my car from Mazda of Toronto at Yonge/Steeles they have the names n stuff on the plastic..... its a clea plastic covering all of the plate.. ifi use alchohol or paint thinner wont it like blurr n dull the plastic ?

also... i have never waxed or polished a car in my life.. I was wondering if i get one of those automated swirling things from canadian tire.. wat can i use that not abrasive and would protect my car.. u know sometime u see some guys have these tiny swirls marks on the car like scratches when the sun is bright u can see.

MazdaTree
08-22-2005, 12:22 PM
yeah I recently went to Cantire to buy a clay bar and I walked out spending $97!
i got a
Simoniz Buffer
Mothers Liquid Wax
Meguires Clay Bar
A pack of Microfibre towels

with tax and everything it came out to $97
OUCH but its all good and the car looks good
:D

Jeff-TheBiz
08-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Xenon

HEY!

Well actually most people tell their friends about us anyhow..

Actually, I shouldn\'t talk, I switched my plate covers to the blue ones... found they match the car better.

Xenon
08-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by jdanielsg

i got my car from Mazda of Toronto at Yonge/Steeles they have the names n stuff on the plastic..... its a clea plastic covering all of the plate.. ifi use alchohol or paint thinner wont it like blurr n dull the plastic ?

also... i have never waxed or polished a car in my life.. I was wondering if i get one of those automated swirling things from canadian tire.. wat can i use that not abrasive and would protect my car.. u know sometime u see some guys have these tiny swirls marks on the car like scratches when the sun is bright u can see.

The plastic seemed fine when I took off the paint.... granted there were some tiny scratches on the plastic, but once the palte is behind the plastic, you can\'t even notice it.

As for waxing the car, i\'ve always done it by hand so I can get at the finest details. I\'m proud to say that i have kept the swirl marks at bay for the last year and 3 months.

My car still shimmers like the day I picked it up from the dealer. even in bright sunlight, my car\'s swirls are very limited.

jdanielsg
08-24-2005, 09:26 AM
thanks for the reply, question is, do I need to apply anything on the car to protect it ? IS waxing only for look or does it help keep the scarcthy swirls off the car ? I am thinking I\'d rather not touch the car at all... n see where does that get me.. LOL just use touchless car washes