PDA

View Full Version : Just cleaned my rims

wtom
08-03-2004, 10:24 PM
Heard it\'s gonna rain the coming few days so no car wash, again, but instead I decided to just clean my rims using the Simple Green and a cotton cloth. I have two pics; before and after, in my Mazda3 photo album (link in my sig).

I wasn\'t too sure how to wash it \"properly\" but basically;

- sprayed water onto rims, getting entire rim inner and outer surfaces wet
- sprayed on Simple Green and soaked for a minute or two
- used wet (not dripping tho) soft cotton cloth and wiped around entire rim as much as possible (damn calipers are in the way!) :)
- rinsed out cloth after 2 or 3 spokes/inners and redid above step
- sprayed off remaining gunk and made sure to rinse off all the degreaser

ZoomZoom Girl
08-04-2004, 08:29 AM
Hey Warren. I use the Meguiar\'s Hot rims spray and a special rim brush. Just rinse off, spray on, brush (really gets under the calipers), rinse off and the rims get sparkling clean! Your stuff would probably be just as good but look for that brush (black and blue)....I got mine at Canadian Tire.

Xenon
08-04-2004, 07:34 PM
I plan on painting my calipers soon, when I do, I\'m going to give the rims a through wash & wax, inside and out.

wtom
08-05-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Xenon

I plan on painting my calipers soon, when I do, I\'m going to give the rims a through wash & wax, inside and out.

Wouldn\'t be a bad idea to do that before and after winter too, no matter what reason, just pop off the wheels and give it a good wash in and out.

Zoom Zoom Girl - I\'m pretty lazy also so a cloth spread over my hand washes faster than a tiny brush head. kekekeke :)

civiclad
08-06-2004, 08:10 AM
I once read on another forum, where someone said, \"using a brush to clean your rims may damage the clear coat on the rims.\" Not sure if that makes sense or not.

I just use a cloth.

david3
08-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Girl
Hey Warren. I use the Meguiar\'s Hot rims spray and a special rim brush.

I just got a bottle of it and it works very well. I was pretty shocked at how much it manged to get off without using a brush.

Newlook
08-23-2004, 08:20 PM
I waxed the inside of my rims when I had them off to paint the brake calipers. I\'ll see if it helps to keep most of the brake dust away.

wtom
08-24-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by david3

Originally posted by ZoomZoom Girl
Hey Warren. I use the Meguiar\'s Hot rims spray and a special rim brush.

I just go a bottle of it and it works very well. I was pretty shocked at how much it manged to get off without using a brush.

I ponder if these products really do work better than regular car soap mixed in water with some elbow grease and an old cotton rag?

It maybe pyschological... but even just spraying my Simple Green onto the rims for 15 mins and then pulling the high-pressure hose on it... it still doesn\'t \"look\" clean 100%. Recently I just let the SG sit for 15 mins and then I get the cotton rag and scrub as much of the rim surface as I can. Looks shiny! :)

Newlook - let us know about the wax on rims after one week of driving!

Dr Butcher
08-24-2004, 09:58 AM
I totally agree Warren. I think going at your rims with soapy water and a rag is the best way to take the dust off. Every product I\'ve tried over the years has not been as effective as elbow grease. It may take more time and be a pain in the butt, but it\'s really the only way to get your rims to look like they should. Plus, you\'re not padding the pockets of all the rim cleaner manufacturers who are selling you glorified soap. :D

Newlook
09-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by wtom

Newlook - let us know about the wax on rims after one week of driving!

This is (http://gtabus.natransit.com/770/Img_5947.jpg) after two days of driving, still sparking clean.
After (http://gtabus.natransit.com/770/Img_5950.jpg) 500km of driving (one week).
I sprayed the rear rims off with water yesterday and this is (http://gtabus.natransit.com/770/Img_5954.jpg) how one of them looks.

Question on the side: anyone knows if the rim cleaner would strip off the wax?

Dr Butcher
09-01-2004, 03:14 PM
I find that mine get pretty nasty after about 300km, especially if there\'s been some rain in the mix.

Personally, I use a small sponge and a bucket filled with the same soap mixture I use to wash the car. I sit right down next to the rim and give\'r. Once finished, I wipe the rim dry with a rag to catch any spots I may have missed. The dust comes off very easily but it does take time to do it right, especially depending on how lazy you\'ve been since the last time you cleaned them. :D

teambedlam
09-01-2004, 05:58 PM
I have been using the Black Magic Wheel/Rim wipes. I rub it all over the rim and it breaks up all the dirt and dust. Then i wipe it all up with an ordinary paper towel.

///M
09-04-2004, 06:40 PM
For the lazy - pressure washers at coin washes are a quick and easy way to get rid of most of (but not all) the brake dust.