PDA

View Full Version : transmission fluid

asyed
05-30-2014, 04:14 AM
So I got a bit carried away with the maintenence of my car lately and recently it came to my attention that I NEED to change my transmission fluid ( 5 speed auto) asap. This next bit is going to sound awful so bear with me..... I have never really changed the transmission fluid of my car and am unaware of whether it was done previously but either way I checked the dipstick and lo and behold the fluid was a semi dark brown ish colour ( ill post pics later). I bought the car used at 73,000 kms and am currently at 138,000 kms.. ( Ya I know im horrible with this stuff :( )

So I have been looking up places on where i can get the fluid changed.... this is where the confusion and anxiety sets in. I searched it up and have read lots of horror stories on " transmission flushing" being a really bad idea as it has known to make transmissions fail shortly afterwards. I do not want to take the risk so I am staying away from that. However, when i read about the more conventional changing of oil/filter. I get lots of results saying that it does not fully remove the old fluid and contaminants associated with the old stuff. I am also reading alot of " this method is better provided you do it at x miles ( all the intervals suggested were far lower than what i have gone :bang ).

Ideally I found a tutorial on how to correctly change the fluid yourself : http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=262875

Problem is I dont really have the time to do it myself and would rather leave it to a proffesional. So Here are the questions:

1) What transmission fluid/ filter should I use as replacement? How much fluid is needed?
2) Anyone know a place preferably near newmarket that can do this for me for a reasonable price ( Not worth it taking it to the dealership) ? Vaughan is ok too. Jimmys is waaay too out of my way. ( Im not lookinf for a flush.... im looking for a place that drops the pan and changes the fluid/filter)

I really dont want to make things worse.

thanks

asyed
05-30-2014, 04:17 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/30/e6urabav.jpg

Here's a pic that may give a somewhat good idea of the current t situation....not the best quality tho.
. I'll try to take better pics tommorow morning

XTOTHEL
05-30-2014, 01:16 PM
should cost about $200 at a dealership...at least that's what I recall. Also the flushing is just keep pumping out old transmission fluid and putting in fresh fluid until the stuff you're pumping out is the fresh stuff. Not like you're putting in anything else to "wash" off the gunk.

I did it myself last summer with OEM mazda oil. Maybe 1 hour tops.

Johns 08 3 GT
05-30-2014, 01:39 PM
All you need is a drain and fill with 4L of Mazda ATF5. Should be under $100 at the dealer.

There is no filter inside. Just a metal screen. No need to drop the pan.

asyed
05-30-2014, 03:33 PM
XTOTHEL

Did you pump the fluid out yourself or did you just drain as much as you can and then fill?

If you did pump it how did you pump it out?

XTOTHEL
05-30-2014, 03:36 PM
I did pump it out myself. I didn't drop the pan. The car itself has a pump to recirculate the trans oil. So you unplug the end of the pump that pumps out oil and have it pump to a bucket, while adding the same amount back through the dipstick hole. Just keep filling until the oil coming out is fresh oil coloured. If the tutorial you pointed to is the same one I used, they say to use a clear tubing for the job. Easier to tell the colour.

asyed
05-30-2014, 04:54 PM
how many quarts did you end up using?

staax
05-30-2014, 05:15 PM
If you're going XOTHEL's route, generally you drain the pan and about 3 quarts comes out. You put the plug back in, fill it up with 3 quarts, disconnect the tranny line and run a piece of hose to a bucket. Run the car until the pump puts out 3 quarts and turn it off. Fill it up with another 3 quarts. Repeat until the fluid is clear.

staax
05-30-2014, 05:16 PM
And by clear I mean red. A bright clear red colour.

Why can't we edit posts? If we can someone point out how cause clearly I am blind.

FD22
05-30-2014, 05:19 PM
Jimmys is waaay too out of my way

No such thing :P

Why can't we edit posts? If we can someone point out how cause clearly I am blind.

You need 100 posts first

staax
05-30-2014, 05:22 PM
You need 100 posts first

Ahh thanks.

And OP, as for tranny fluid I would actually look into something other than the OEM stuff... doesn't seem like its the best quality. I would go with a good synthetic name. Other members have posted good results with brands such as Amsoil MV, Redline MV, Mobil 1 MV, Petrocan DuraDrive MV etc.

asyed
05-30-2014, 05:33 PM
thanks guys.

Im going to go with the Castrol import ATF as recommended by another member. Ill probably buy 6 quarts and take it to my mechanic to get changed. I would like to go the DIY route but I am not comfortable with working under the hood on my car without the assistance of a fellow friend who knows his way around cars ( said friend is busy this weekend though)

staax
05-30-2014, 05:40 PM
The dry fill capacity for te FS5A-EL is 8.6 quarts, so you'll want to buy atleast 9 to flush out the full tranny. With 6 quarts you'll still get a lot, but you cannot only place 6 quarts into a flush machine. You need the exact amount, if you brought 6 quarts to your mechanic
http://am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/emazda/dealersystem/service/esi/en_us/OH/1859-1U-05F.pdf

Castrol is another good name too.

staax
05-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Grrr... damn phone.

If you brought 6 quarts to your mechanic, he would likely just drain the pan twice.

The way a flush machine works is you add the exact amount for your tranny into the reservoir and run the machine. As you run it, it forces old fluid out at the same rate it puts the new stuff in.

So you need atleast 8.6 quarts.

ptgrad2012
06-01-2014, 11:50 AM
Sorry, not trying to jack the tread, but I have the same concern with my 2012 auto.
I have 48000 km on it, I am just thinking taking it to the dealer to change it, do you know how much dealership will charge?

staax
06-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Probably around $200.

boo-ninja
06-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Sorry, not trying to jack the tread, but I have the same concern with my 2012 auto.
I have 48000 km on it, I am just thinking taking it to the dealer to change it, do you know how much dealership will charge?

I think my gf payed like $86 to have hers changed at the dealer. They were the cheapest place to get it done.

ptgrad2012
06-01-2014, 04:15 PM
which dealer was it if you don't mind me asking?

I think my gf payed like $86 to have hers changed at the dealer. They were the cheapest place to get it done.

sarujo
06-01-2014, 06:41 PM
I think you forgot a 1 in front of the 86, man! ;) There's no way a FLUSH (flush machine, not drop the pan and drain) from the dealer which has labour and typically around 9 quarts or more of ATF is going to cost $86!

The OP should just call their dealer and some of the other affiliate and/or recommended dealers to compare pricing

boo-ninja
06-02-2014, 12:38 PM
which dealer was it if you don't mind me asking?

Moffats in Barrie. Prices ranged from $90-180 and the dealer was the cheapest around $86.

sarujo
06-02-2014, 06:10 PM
No way it's a FLUSH for $86. Must be drain and fill.

staax
06-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Yeah I find it extremely hard to believe a flush would be 86$.

Half an hour labour ($55) + 3 quarts ($20) + tax = $86.

ptgrad2012
06-02-2014, 07:40 PM
called several dealerships today, flush is 169 + tax

boo-ninja
06-02-2014, 08:12 PM
No way it's a FLUSH for $86. Must be drain and fill.

I did mention it was my girlfriend that went. I was going based on what she said. Definently a drain and fill.

XTOTHEL
06-02-2014, 08:22 PM
it was my girlfriend that went.

There's your problem. :chuckle

boo-ninja
06-02-2014, 11:12 PM
She's getting better.

sarujo
06-03-2014, 06:43 AM
Are you sure they even changed the fluid? ;) :chuckle

I did mention it was my girlfriend that went. I was going based on what she said. Definently a drain and fill.

RustyMZ3
03-16-2015, 03:59 PM
Budds' quoted me $199 for a flush with synthetic oil.

Service advisor also said something about the lines being 'washed' with a cleaner to get out any crud. Is this actually done?