PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for my ATF color

ptgrad2012
06-01-2014, 01:08 PM
currently at 48000km, next oil change at dealership at 54000km.
Based on the color of current ATF, is it okay to wait till I hit 54k and get both ATF + oil change done at dealership?

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/ptgrad2012/IMG_20140601_124223_zps3246858d.jpg

TheMAN
06-01-2014, 01:59 PM
it's about time to change it
not critical yet, it's just normal well used fluid

drain and fill with regular ATF M-V will get you going for another 50k
if you decide to go to synthetic, do flush it so that every bit of fluid is changed and it'll last easily twice that or more

ptgrad2012
06-01-2014, 02:02 PM
I am planning to go to the dealership to get it done just for the warranty purposes.
do you know how much each the dealership would charge? (just ballpark)

it's about time to change it
not critical yet, it's just normal well used fluid

drain and fill with regular ATF M-V will get you going for another 50k
if you decide to go to synthetic, do flush it so that every bit of fluid is changed and it'll last easily twice that or more

JonsMazda
06-01-2014, 03:51 PM
I believe it was around 150.

staax
06-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Another 6k wouldn't matter likely. 50k is generally the time to change your fluid. I would go with a synthetic however, the OEM stuff isn't the best.

Johns 08 3 GT
06-02-2014, 10:59 AM
I am planning to go to the dealership to get it done just for the warranty purposes.

Around $85 + tax for a drain and fill.

staax
06-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Around $85 + tax for a drain and fill.
A drain and fill only gets out about 1/3 to 1/2 of the fluid.

OP wants a flush, so anywhere between $150-$200

Booter22
06-02-2014, 08:16 PM

budds was $189.95 + HST when i was there. full system flush. 9L of synth fluid used when replaced. ( pretty sure it is synth, but still gets changed every 60,000 km) also pretty sure the fluid from factory both manual and auto was synth. i remember i asked one of the guys at training before. but i would change it every 60 000 km, and or 3 years going forward. never hurts to over service but it hurts to under service. even more when the tranny goes and costs you a few grand.

staax
06-02-2014, 08:39 PM
budds was $189.95 + HST when i was there. full system flush. 9L of synth fluid used when replaced. ( pretty sure it is synth, but still gets changed every 60,000 km) also pretty sure the fluid from factory both manual and auto was synth. i remember i asked one of the guys at training before. but i would change it every 60 000 km, and or 3 years going forward. never hurts to over service but it hurts to under service. even more when the tranny goes and costs you a few grand.

I knew the MTF was synthetic from the factory, if the ATF is really synthetic then it is some garbage stuff. This is the first car I've owned that the colour has changed from red to brown in less than 30,000 kms from brand new.

I know that colour doesn't justify a fluid's integrity, but accompanied with the burnt smell I can only imagine that tests would prove it's poor quality.

XTOTHEL
06-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Yea I changed the ATF my self with OEM stuff last summer and now it's starting to go brown again. Definitely using something better next time it needs changing.

OP, you can purchase the synthetic ATF recommended by other members (Redline, Mobil1, Petro Canada?) and bring it with you to the service for the flush. IIRC you need about 9 quarts. When you get your bill for the flush, there should be a note about you bringing your own oil and you won't be charged for that part of the materials.

Booter22
06-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Yea I changed the ATF my self with OEM stuff last summer and now it's starting to go brown again. Definitely using something better next time it needs changing.

OP, you can purchase the synthetic ATF recommended by other members (Redline, Mobil1, Petro Canada?) and bring it with you to the service for the flush. IIRC you need about 9 quarts. When you get your bill for the flush, there should be a note about you bringing your own oil and you won't be charged for that part of the materials.
Just fyi. The replaced dealer fluid is bulk from petro

XTOTHEL
06-02-2014, 09:00 PM

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/612.aspx

or

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/615.aspx

staax
06-02-2014, 09:44 PM

Now I'm assuming this is a specific dealer you're talking about, since my local dealer still stocks the Mazda MV ATF on the shelf in the service department.

I've heard good things about the Petrocan stuff and will be using that within the next 5k.

staax
06-02-2014, 09:45 PM
http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/612.aspx

or

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/615.aspx

Would have to be your first link, since the second one doesn't meet Mazda MV specs.

The first link is the one I will be using shortly.

Lux
06-03-2014, 11:59 PM
currently at 48000km, next oil change at dealership at 54000km.
Based on the color of current ATF, is it okay to wait till I hit 54k and get both ATF + oil change done at dealership?

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/ptgrad2012/IMG_20140601_124223_zps3246858d.jpg
The brown colour is from the petroleum dye breaking down, which is not always caused by wear.
Even in a hypothetically perfect, completely wear-less transmission, the lubricant will still turn light brown over time.
Hyundai-Kia ATF used to always turn brown as soon as 15'000 km just because the red dye they used was breaking down... the lubricant's integrity was still near-perfect, otherwise.
Follow the service schedule for your car and change the fluid accordingly.
A complete transaxle flush isn't a requirement, but you can do whatever you want.
Odour is becoming a less reliable indicator of lubricant condition because of new chemical compositions in this industry.
Chrysler ATF+4 is one such fluid for which colour and odour have ZERO relevance to condition-- in this case, you must use the manufacturer's service schedule.

TheMAN
06-04-2014, 04:15 AM
just because the dealer uses a supply of ATF from petro canada, doesn't mean it's synthetic

also, I have yet to see any proof that the factory fill manual trans fluid is synthetic, all other discussions leads me to believe otherwise because everyone who has ever replaced their gear oil with non-mazda synthetic has reported much improved shifting quallity