PDA

View Full Version : SRI DIY

LndM3
07-01-2014, 04:32 PM
Hey guys, I have a 2014 mazda 3.
I want to throw in a sri but not about to drop $220 on the cs one plus shipping.
I wanna put together my own kit, I can get all the parts for cheaper than the cs kit. Just need to find where or how to retofit a maf housing. Weather I can buy a housing or somehow modify the stock on from the air box

Hyperion
07-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Cut it with a sawzal and then use couplings/zip ties/duct tape to put it in the correct spot in your custom made sir.
My advice is wait for a cs group buy and buy it then instead of doing a hack job.

loki
07-01-2014, 05:19 PM
This is the worst idea

Mr Wilson
07-01-2014, 05:21 PM
^^ Paper mache?

peterm15
07-01-2014, 05:24 PM
This is the worst idea
Yup.

You do know CS isnt the only maker out there right.

Astig02
07-01-2014, 05:25 PM
I think u better save for it or wait until a sale is on. Do it right the 1sf time.

LndM3
07-01-2014, 05:56 PM
I'm aware cs isn't he only one but price range is all similar. I'm also not crazy, nor have no idea what I'm doing or plan on doing a hack job. I was looking for input and direction to find a housing, and in lack of that retrofitting done right is also fine. I'm not talking grab a coke can and crazy glue my maf to it.
Yup.

You do know CS isnt the only maker out there right.

Booter22
07-01-2014, 06:23 PM
i see.. i see engine lights in your future..

loki
07-01-2014, 06:27 PM
I hear corksport makes a maf housing. Comes with free intake with purchase of maf housing

Kiyomi
07-01-2014, 06:27 PM

this.

The Wolf
07-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Cut it with a sawzal and then use couplings/zip ties/duct tape to put it in the correct spot in your custom made sir.
My advice is wait for a cs group buy and buy it then instead of doing a hack job.
Posts thread encouraging DIY mods.

Discourages DIY mods.

:P

Default User
07-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Take a sawzall to where the pipe meets the filter housing. Then secure a 2.5" aluminum tube to attach a cone filter.

Also - pull the intake resonator out.

Default User
07-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Or get a drop in K&N filter and just Swiss cheese the filter box.

Hyperion
07-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Posts thread encouraging DIY mods.

Discourages DIY mods.

:P
I told him exactly how he could do it.
But it will very likely lead to a cel, and i discourage cel's.

Default User
07-01-2014, 09:07 PM
I have extra aluminum tubing, silicone couplings, clamps, and a brand new vibrant cone filter if you're serious about this project.

greyseason
07-01-2014, 10:34 PM
I have extra aluminum tubing, silicone couplings, clamps, and a brand new vibrant cone filter if you're serious about this project.

this

Mazdy
07-01-2014, 10:52 PM
If you cant afford a $200+ mod...then dont mod your car..

Down the road Your gonna end up spending more than $200+ when you do this idea..

The Wolf
07-01-2014, 10:57 PM
FWIW I made my own SRI for fun out of an old mz6 eBay CAI intake tube I hacked up. No CEL for 2 years. So it is possible especially if the MAF is getting the proper air flow.

jay93
07-01-2014, 11:17 PM
If you cant afford a $200+ mod...then dont mod your car..

Down the road Your gonna end up spending more than $200+ when you do this idea..

This is the truth, if you have to ask questions, then maybe you're not sure on how to get this to work. So therefore don't do it and save your nickels (because pennies don't exist anymore)

silverstarmazda
07-01-2014, 11:22 PM
just remove the lower portion of your factory air box. done

greardon
07-02-2014, 12:28 PM
The cork sport one is only $179 for a 2014. What exactly are you expecting to get out of this? Don't understand why people want to performance mod these base 3's. Put your money into appearance and enjoy what you bought.

Johns 08 3 GT
07-02-2014, 01:57 PM

I see denied warranty claims in the future too.

Kiewan
07-02-2014, 02:12 PM
I see denied warranty claims in the future too.

Does this violate any part of his warranty?.

OP- you have a brand new 2014...... Why

S.F.W.
07-02-2014, 02:24 PM
I don't see a reason why the OP shouldn't try it, if he is comfortable with the engineering aspect. A few years ago, I helped prototype an SRI for the 1st Gen sedans. It really was not a complex system at all . I can't imagine it being that difficult to build something for the 2014's . Is it something I would do ? No. But if the OP wants to give it a shot, all the power to him.

Johns 08 3 GT
07-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Does this violate any part of his warranty?.

OP- you have a brand new 2014...... Why

If he comes back to the dealer with problems pertaining to the modified intake system (MAF code for example) then ya, they can.

This is why for $200 it's worth it to buy a engineered intake that someone has done the R&D on already.

Cab0oze
07-02-2014, 06:45 PM
If he comes back to the dealer with problems pertaining to the modified intake system (MAF code for example) then ya, they can.

This is why for $200 it's worth it to buy a engineered intake that someone has done the R&D on already.
SRIs are retardedly simple. It is a pipe with a filter. The important points are:
a) The filter... you can buy these anywhere for cheap
b) the MAF housing diameter - the OP sounds like he knows what he's doing. As long as you keep the same ID for the MAF housing, there is no problem.
c) The rest of the piping... should be the same as b)
d) Worm clamps... probably costs a buck.

Do you really think CS does any 'research' for a part as basic as this? I seriously doubt it for a part like this. Rapid prototype to get the measurements/mounting points, and then mass produce.

I totally understand why someone wouldn't want to pay 220+tax+shipping+border fees for something that is so simple. I never would... which is why I always buy used in the 100-125 shipped ballpark. Since its a 2014, not much chance of going used, so don't discourage people if they know the risks and want to be creative.

What exactly are you expecting to get out of this? Don't understand why people want to performance mod these base 3's. Put your money into appearance and enjoy what you bought.SRI is so much more than a performance mod. It makes your engine bay look way nicer, it sounds fantastic without being illegal, and it means you don't have to listen to mechanics give you BS about having a dirty air filter when you go in for an oil change. Personally I put one and recommend everyone gets SRIs as a first mod. After that, aside from things to improve driveability (mounts, shifter stuff, etc) I agree performance mods on base 3s are a waste of time for the most part.

To support my argument, on a stock speed3 you can't hear your stock BPV (at all IIRC). Put on a SRI and PSSSSSHHHH!!

Girds
07-02-2014, 08:50 PM
I also made one of these myself on a 2012 mazda3 i got alot of hate for it but it pretty much does the same as a $200 SRI and sucks up all the hot air

https://tapatalk.com/tapatalk_image.php?img=aHR0cDovL2ltZy50YXBhdGFsay5 jb20vZC8xNC8wNy8wMi9vcmlnaW5hbC96YWR1bWVweS5qcGc%3 D

Girds
07-02-2014, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=Girds;1207799]I also made one of these myself on a 2012 mazda3 i got alot of hate for it but it pretty much does the same as a $200 SRI and sucks up all the hot air

Sorry wrong link heres the correct link:
http://instagram.com/p/p-C4TQphRe/?modal=true

LndM3
07-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Alright folks alot of stuff to cover...Yes sri are 1 a waste of money gain negligible amounts of power and are way over priced for an under designed thing. No I'm not being cheap cause I'm cheap, I'm being cheap cause my money is better spent on other mods ie. sway bar etc. SRI's are dirt simple and not worth the 179+shipping, customs fees etc.
And people on here seem to forget how modding cars started. Corksport hasn't always been a click away. People have engineered much more in depth mods on a budget.
I am seeking general advice. I'm not concerned about cel's cause 1, done right nothing but the filter replacing the box changes. And two I have an obd2 to clear any codes.
As far as the butthurt mz3 chirps, my last car died..Wasn't going to finance a speed at 6%....cause they are all used. When I could finance a mz3 at 1.99%
I'm not trying to race any speeds here, Theres nothing wrong with tuning my base simply cause I want to....Not breaking any speed records. Just something I like.
I joined tm3 cause I heard it was less butt hurt than mazda movement....come on guys.

Girds
07-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Alright folks alot of stuff to cover...Yes sri are 1 a waste of money gain negligible amounts of power and are way over priced for an under designed thing. No I'm not being cheap cause I'm cheap, I'm being cheap cause my money is better spent on other mods ie. sway bar etc. SRI's are dirt simple and not worth the 179+shipping, customs fees etc.
And people on here seem to forget how modding cars started. Corksport hasn't always been a click away. People have engineered much more in depth mods on a budget.
I am seeking general advice. I'm not concerned about cel's cause 1, done right nothing but the filter replacing the box changes. And two I have an obd2 to clear any codes.
As far as the butthurt mz3 chirps, my last car died..Wasn't going to finance a speed at 6%....cause they are all used. When I could finance a mz3 at 1.99%
I'm not trying to race any speeds here, Theres nothing wrong with tuning my base simply cause I want to....Not breaking any speed records. Just something I like.
I joined tm3 cause I heard it was less butt hurt than mazda movement....come on guys.

Mine only costs $30 for the filter
And $10 for the piping
And $2 for the hose clamps
I just salvaged my maf housing from the air box and them done SRI completed

LndM3
07-02-2014, 10:17 PM
And thats roughly my goal....thanks
Mine only costs $30 for the filter
And $10 for the piping
And $2 for the hose clamps
I just salvaged my maf housing from the air box and them done SRI completed