PDA

View Full Version : Oil Dipstick Question

robc638
07-23-2014, 06:59 AM
I own a 2008 Mazda 3 with the 2.0l engine. The dipstick in this engine is not the best idea for a dipstick, as it is not easy to read the level, specially when an oil change is done and new (clean) oil is added. Is there some sort of paint I can apply to the dipstick, or a modification I can do so that the oil is easier to read? Thanks.

silverstarmazda
07-23-2014, 07:58 AM
i wouldnt, it might change the way the oil "sticks" to the dip stick and can cause a false reading. its one of the worst oil dip stick designs out there and all you can do is get use to how you read it.

try to wipe the dip stick completely dry before inserting it back it. this way the oil can "stick" to the tip better and give you a cleaner edge on the oil level. it will take a few times to actually gauge how much oil you actually have.

Nikhil Pali
07-23-2014, 09:09 AM
^ Exactly what he said. But I find mazda dipstick much better than my jetta dipstick. Jetta dipstick is dark brown and its awfully hard to read.

But something I did to my mazda dipstick to make it easier to read was to use scotch brite (the green part) and just wipe the dipstick a few times. Just enough to make it a bit shiny by removing brownish coating that it get with time from constantly being dipped in oil. All it did was to return my dipstick to like new stage and it was much easier to see oil level when there was lighter background of the dipstick. I did it like once last year and its still good. Make sure not to scuff the surface as it will ruin the surface of the dipstick and oil level may not be accurate.

staax
07-23-2014, 09:41 AM
I ran into this same experience with my 2012 2.0l.

It says it calls for 4.25L (or 4.5 quarts) however I put exactly 4.0L in mine and it was full to the top dot. Other people have mentioned this too, just be careful how much oil you put in.

silverstarmazda
07-23-2014, 10:37 AM
^the .25L of oil might actually be the oil in the filter after a drain

XTOTHEL
07-23-2014, 10:43 AM
- You should ALWAYS take out your dipstick out, wipe down the tip, put it back, take it out again to make the reading.
- Make sure your car is on level surface when making the reading.
- Make sure your car is off.

It should be easy to read even with new oil put in, just make sure the tip is clean and dry and move it about at different angles to see where the oil reached on the stick.

silverstarmazda
07-23-2014, 11:44 AM
i think OP is just complaining about the design of the dip stick. the "scooped" tip vs the "flat" tip

Lux
08-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Take a longer metal dipstick from another car (Chrysler, Toyota, etc.). Transmission dipsticks work well for this.
Cut to length, and solder or braze it to the desired handle.
Doesn't attach onto your plastic Ford-Mazda handle? Make your own, probably from a shift lever or linkage. Carve ring land for the o-ring if desired.
Oil level notches don't line up? Cut your own with a file.
Should be doable in 30 minutes or less.
I've African engineered a couple of these custom-length dipsticks to relocate for clearance around massive turbos in a couple Supra.

silverstarmazda
08-01-2014, 09:11 PM
did you just say "african engineered"? LOL op can always just take a longer dip stick from another car (flat kind) and cut it to length. then put both dipsticks next to each other to make the "add"xxxxxx"full" etch marks.

the dip sticks on the 2.0 and 2.3 are not the same btw

m_bisson
08-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Still trying to make the connection between Africa and dipstick.....

Also, check oil when engine warm. Not cold.

fruitloops
08-03-2014, 06:16 PM
I guy I know drilled small holes in the dipstick so you could see where oil is by what holes are filled.

morganc
09-10-2014, 12:47 PM
I decided to take a file to mine. Filed off the front so it was flat, then too the edge of the file and cut larger high/low lines into it. On the backside, I filed off the little 'bubble' that you can see on the bottom tip. Quick overall polish with 400grit to remove burrs and cleaned it with solvent to remove contaminants. WAYYY better. It's actually useful.