PDA

View Full Version : Break In Period and Gas Consumption

super_vixen
08-24-2004, 10:35 AM
I know in the owners manual it says its not exactly necessary but there are some things to follow to help prolong the life of your car/engine for the first 1000km.

-Don’t race the engine.
-Don’t maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
-Don’t drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
-Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
-Avoid full-throttle starts.

Ok...so what constitutes a long period of time for not maintaining a constant speed? 20 min? an hour?

All I want to know, is that I\'ve only put on 320km on my car thus far, and I\'m taking a trip to London this weekend, with a day trip to Toronto (ie. 260km one way, back to Toronto for 150km, then 150 back to london, then 260 back home to Oshawa)...all highway of course...but how am I supposed to be driving the car if I can\'t maintain a constant speed? I mean it\'s a 2.5 hour drive one way to London, and I generally just hop in the fast lane and go with the flow....

Even driving to work in rush hour in the mornings, I\'ve been doing the same..sometimes going at 120-130km with the flow but never for longer than 10min at a time...between stop and go.

Also for the gas consumption -- what is normal mileage off the first tank...cause so far I have just a bit over 1/4 a tank left and my mileage is horrible! I do about 70% highway driving so I expected better, but I\'m very disappointed.

Dr Butcher
08-24-2004, 10:50 AM
I wouldn\'t worry too much about driving to London, just try and vary your highway speed. accelerate to 120-130 stay there for a few minutes decelerate down to 100 and stay there for a few minutes, then up to 110 or so for a few minutes. What I wouldn\'t do is set the cruise and leave it there for 3 hours.... with my 2.0L I can get up to 120-130 without going much over 3000 RPMs, I do however give it some revs so that it\'s not cruising along at a constant RPM. I just started taking my car out on the highway after the 350km mark, I vary my speed and RPMs every couple of minutes, but I\'m a freak show like that. :D

I have gotten terrible gas mileage as well but that\'s because I have been driving with the AC on because I can\'t roll down my windows yet, also it\'s been mostly city driving. I\'m at about 385kms and I\'m down to 1/4 tank as well.

wtom
08-24-2004, 10:57 AM
Errr, I\'d honestly NOT take the new 3 out for a road trip... it\'s going to affect the life of the engine.

RedRaptor
08-24-2004, 11:03 AM
I was under the impression that during the \"Break In\" period, you weren\'t aren\'t supposed to go over 100km/h?

Is there any truth to that or is that just a rumour. I\'ve never really had to break in a car before.

Does the \"Break In\" method vary with each car manufactuer? Does it vary with a specific car model?

What type of tranny do you have Super Vixen?

super_vixen
08-24-2004, 11:06 AM
well I don\'t have much of a choice about going..its been a planned trip, like my Ottawa trip in a couple weeks is, and I can\'t change that.

I have to take my car, so it\'s a matter of how I\'m supposed to drive my car in order to do it properly.

RedRaptor..I have the AT on my car...

david3
08-24-2004, 11:10 AM
I wouldn\'t worry about it.. your engine is probably almost already \'broken in\'. Just alternate driving in the left and middle lanes at different speeds if you are worried. If you are really paranoid just take a few on/off ramps along the way.

As for gas milage.. my 2nd tank I got 466km with the gauage around 1/4 left(yes I know this isn\'t accurate) my 3rd I\'m getting about 499km with even less highway miles.

Dr Butcher
08-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Heather, drive the car. It\'s meant to be driven. Just take it easy on accelerating up to highway speeds and vary your speed and rpms.

The way everyone is talking it sounds like driving on the highway will kill your engine. Starting it up each morning is probably worse for your car than driving it on the highway.

RedRaptor
08-24-2004, 11:19 AM
The reason I am asking is because I\'ll have to break in my new Mz 3 Sport GT soon. Going in to sign for the car this Saturday and if everything goes well, I should get the car pretty soon. Yes...its a Winning Blue hatch...auto tranny, moonroof and A/C.

So back to the break in period, what is the MAX speed one should be going with their new car?

david3
08-24-2004, 11:26 AM
It\'s more about changing rpm/pressure levels in the cylinders rather than speed. ~110-120km/h in 4th gear on the ATX is around 3000rpm or so.. so you should have no problems at all. Just follow what the manual says about break in. IE: Avoid full thottle, avoid hard stops, vary speed, etc.

MajesticBlueNTO
08-24-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by wtom

Errr, I\'d honestly NOT take the new 3 out for a road trip... it\'s going to affect the life of the engine.

No it won\'t.

the engine life is not affected from driving the car on the highway. Most important thing to remember is that, before you go wide open throttle while merging, the car MUST be at normal operating temperature (when the temp needle is not moving up anymore).

the reason why the manufacturers state to vary the rpms is probably due to the fact that a constant low rpm puts little load on the engine. however, all of that is a holdover from the old days of engine building where tolerances were not as tight and internal moving parts were \"mating\" long after they left the engine plant.

an engine is already brake dynoed and run up the rpm range for a few minutes before it leaves the engine plant. how do i know, i did a thesis at an engine manufacturing plant and got to see the processes firsthand.

Dr Butcher
08-24-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

an engine is already brake dynoed and run up the rpm range for a few minutes before it leaves the engine plant. how do i know, i did a thesis at an engine manufacturing plant and got to see the processes firsthand.

Excellent post Majestic. I assumed this was what they did but didn\'t know first hand. I knew you couldn\'t get a virgin engine because it has to be tested before it\'s installed in a car.

dinu01
08-24-2004, 12:39 PM
http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=71

Is there no SEARCHMAN here? :)

suprPHREAK
08-31-2004, 10:17 PM
I have often wondered about the break in in cars.

On a bike, the rule is keep it under 4000rpm...which is a lil high for most cars, and a lil too slow for bikes.

The recommended \'race\' break in consists of getting the vehicle moving in first, clutch, shift to 3rd or 4th, which should drop the revvs to ~1500rpm, then just GIVE\'ER!! the lugging of the engine should cause max pressure on the piston seals, effectively breaking them in in 5 minutes.

Any thoughts on how this applies to a car?

RedRaptor
08-31-2004, 10:29 PM
I\'m picking up my ATX Sport GT in a couple of days. So just want to make sure the process of breaking in on an Auto Tranny. Don\'t go over 3000RPM? The speed of the car doesn\'t matter?

Xenon
08-31-2004, 11:56 PM
sounds about right, I would avoid useing the Sport Mode during break in, and go light on the gas.

The Mazda3 Gas is very touchy if you are not used to it.