PDA

View Full Version : Passenger AirbagWarning Light

calgary3
08-07-2014, 01:05 AM
Hi Everyone,

I apologize to the mods and other users if this has already been posted but I did a search and I couldnt find any exact details.

I just got a 2014 mazda 3 hatchback(zoom zoom) and the passenger airbag warning light is always on when there is noone in the the passenger seat. I read the manual and searched online and I'm getting conflicting messages. Should the light always be on (for the 2014 gs) and if so, why would that light always be on? Its really annoying seeing that light. Was there a TSB for it, should it be on? Thank you for wisdom and expertise.

Unless I'm reading the manual incorrectly, I get the feeling that light should be on. Here's the link.

http://www.mazda.ca/MciWeb/pdf/manuals/2014/2014_M3_8DF9-EA-13I_Edition1_E.pdf

pages 67-68 section 2-56

cwp_sedan
08-07-2014, 07:40 AM
Based on the manual.

The light should come on when the ignition is switched on. Otherwise there is an issue and should be taken to a mechanic/Mazda.

No one or child (under weight limit) - light should stay on.

Adult - light should turn off.

This is the opposite of my 07 but they must have changed the functionality of it.

Yours seems to be working correctly. It is annoying that it would be on all the time.

I would just ask you dealership about it if you have any concerns.

staax
08-07-2014, 10:15 AM
The light just means that there isn't enough weight on the seat to trigger the airbag to go off in the event of an accident I believe.

Whenever there is no one in the seat the light stays on. Actually worried me when I first got my car, I thought I was wrong.

Sit in your passenger seat with the key in the ignition and the light should go off.

Aitch
08-07-2014, 01:09 PM
But the light shouldn't be lit when there is no one/no load in the seat at all, no? In my 2012 a light load will trigger the light but it isn't on when the seat is empty.

Having it on all the time without an adult passenger or load in the seat would bug the crap outta me.

staax
08-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Actually, that's a good point Aitch. Mine is a 2012 too and I thought it was on all the time unless there was enough weight in it.

I put my laptop bag on the passenger seat in the morning and the light will be on, but I can't recall if its on before that.

I'll check on the way home tonight. My phone mount is on my front dash anyway so I think it blocks the view now.

WHO
08-07-2014, 04:00 PM
2012 here as well, and it's well described in the manual and it's also how it works : OFF if no one / adult. ON if light weight.

I also had the seatbelt offender alarm deactivated by the stealership because it's annoying and I'm not responsible if the passenger chooses not to buckle up.

DouggyD
08-07-2014, 04:08 PM
I have a 2013 GS-Sky and the light is only on when there is a light weight (bag) on the passenger seat. No idea for 2014s.

Aitch
08-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Yeah it's odd, the 2014 manual clearly states that it's on even when the seat is empty. Annoying. At least it's not in the instrument cluster.

TReyes
08-07-2014, 10:16 PM
2014 GS here, confirming the warning light stays on with no passenger in the seat. It is odd but you get used to it.

TRECLA
08-08-2014, 10:44 AM
passenger airbag light on. check.
car not haunted. check.

$lickology
08-08-2014, 12:00 PM
2014 GS here, confirming the warning light stays on with no passenger in the seat. It is odd but you get used to it.

Yep its true, I can confirm the same, like TReyes says you do get used to it.

calgary3
08-08-2014, 11:56 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I cant say enough about this community when it comes to helping out there fellow mazda users. Talk to you all soon.

Firefox444
08-09-2014, 03:19 PM

Wow, that's really annoying.

On my 2006 RX-8, the passenger airbag light comes on when there's a fair bit of weight on the seat, but less than the "safe" threshold for a child (I think it's something like 20-80 pounds). Below or above that range, the light doesn't come on.

Then again, I had no end of airbag warning light problems on my RX-8. It literally took the dealership about four years to permanently fix the problem (knock wood).

kasakato
09-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Yep its true, I can confirm the same, like TReyes says you do get used to it.

Thankfully it's out of the way for the most part. I wonder if future SW will change the light.