PDA

View Full Version : JDM - Pedal/Footrest on ebay

Soulcrusher
09-10-2004, 11:42 PM
If anyone\'s still interested in an aluminum pedal and foot rest set, I saw this on ebay.

Auction #1 - Mazda Aluminum Pedal & Foot Rest set JDM Mazda6 Mazda3 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7920566739&catego ry=33696)

Auction #2 - Mazda Aluminum Pedal & Foot Rest set JDM Mazda6 Mazda3 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7920566671&catego ry=33696)

Xenon
09-11-2004, 12:51 AM
Tempted

but not now.... eventually...

billyfo
09-11-2004, 09:21 AM
the sets are from HK I think, so I will ask my sister to help me buy from local store:D I think it\'ll much cheaper.

dredd2099
09-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Xenon

Tempted

but not now.... eventually...

yes
later, after the sound system
:)

bluntman
09-11-2004, 10:32 PM
I\'m a bit weary about that auction. The price just seems too good to be true. JapanParts is selling the AT pedal set for about $140 CDN while the auction has a BIN price of $50 USD. Also, eventhough the auction says Mazda3 or Mazda6, the pedal set shown is for the Mazda6, the deadpedal for the 3 is doesn\'t have a slight bend.

Mazda6 pedals
http://www.japanparts.com/Pic/pic90/09-08.jpg

Mazda3 pedals
http://www.japanparts.com/Pic/pic143/009-047.JPG -- for some reason image was invalid

Either way, the gas and brake pedals are the same.

RedRaptor
09-14-2004, 11:35 AM
These are pretty cool. How do you install them? Do you have to drill holes into your original pedals or is it a screw/snap on?

I\'m also a little confused about the various Mazda OEM pedal sets on the market. Some guy from Iceland at M3F said he had the Mazda Factory Pedals which aren\'t the same as these ones. They were aluminium but had 3 holes on them.

So what is the deal? Are these \"official\"? Does the Mazda3 and Mazda6 use the same OEM pedals?

bluntman
09-14-2004, 12:52 PM
From the looks of it they don\'t need to be drilled, just screwed on.

I\'ve seen other other pedals that you are talking about, I think those are the domestic (North American) version while these are the ones availabe to the JDM. The North American pedals are cheap plastic snap-on covers and don\'t include the deadpedal. I like the JDM pedals much more, even without the deadpedal (which is probably how I would end up using it anyway).

RedRaptor
09-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the clarification Bluntman.

I agree with you that the JDM pedals look better. Does everyone need a dead pedal? I thought that it mostly applies to manual shift cars? I\'m guessing the dead pedal would be a \"velco on\" to the existing \"thin\" interior carpet?

I wonder if the dead pedal in the Ebay auction would fit on the 3? $50 USD isn\'t bad...but after Canada customs is done with it, we might be paying upwards of a $100 CDN or so.

bluntman
09-14-2004, 01:41 PM
I will still be definitely cheaper than buying it through JapanParts.com and certainly much more attractive than the North American version. I\'d say go for it!

wtom
09-14-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by RedRaptor

I agree with you that the JDM pedals look better. Does everyone need a dead pedal? I thought that it mostly applies to manual shift cars? I\'m guessing the dead pedal would be a \"velco on\" to the existing \"thin\" interior carpet?

Not to be an arse but where do you put your left foot when you drive? :)

I have nothing added to the left foot rest area (the part that is inclined from the rest of the driver\'s side foot well) and I know the carpetting will start wearing out in a few months. The automatics have the same \"foot rest\" and having the dead pedal is better than not.

Soulcrusher installed a set of pedals on his automatic, dead pedal included, and velcroed the dead pedal to the carpet.

EDIT: Okay fine I do recall when I drove my previous (automatic) car my left leg was usually bent, knee against door, foot near the centre of the foot well as opposed to resting in the dead pedal area. :p

bluntman
09-14-2004, 04:43 PM
Too many pucks to the head Warren? :p

Just kidding!

FLIPDADY
09-16-2004, 04:00 PM
How about some nice MOMO one\'s? They look good on any car.

RedRaptor
09-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by bluntman

I will still be definitely cheaper than buying it through JapanParts.com and certainly much more attractive than the North American version. I\'d say go for it!

Bluntman,

I believe the ones listed above on sale on Ebay are replicas and not the original. I think the price difference between the Ebay ones and the set on JapanParts.com is a big give away. I emailed the seller and asked him if they are replicas, we\'ll see if he responds.

bluntman
09-17-2004, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by bluntman

Bluntman,

I believe the ones listed above on sale on Ebay are replicas and not the original. I think the price difference between the Ebay ones and the set on JapanParts.com is a big give away. I emailed the seller and asked him if they are replicas, we\'ll see if he responds.

I think you\'re right about that! Isn\'t this the same seller who is selling the knock-off trim rings as well? If they don\'t show the OE packaging in the photo I would be a little suspicious. Thanks for the heads up!

RedRaptor
09-17-2004, 01:51 PM
Yes, he does have the chrome rings for sale also. Those are easier to see that they are knock offs because the JDM ones aren\'t flat and look nicer.

However this pedal set is harder to detect since it looks exactly the same as the JDM design which isn\'t exactly hard to copy in the first place.

I think the set looks decent. Its not too eye catching and doesn\'t stand out which is good for people who want the settle but different look.

Other than looks, are pedal sets actually useful for anything? I noticed that a lot of the ebay auctions mention that it helps with the \"slipping of the foot\" and provides \"better grip\". I don\'t know how true these claims are.

bluntman
09-17-2004, 03:27 PM

Other than looks, are pedal sets actually useful for anything? I noticed that a lot of the ebay auctions mention that it helps with the \"slipping of the foot\" and provides \"better grip\". I don\'t know how true these claims are.

Useful, maybe for manual transmission vehicles where the larger, slippierer (is that even a word?) surface allows for easier \"heel-toe\" shifting, but for automatics I\'d say it\'s mainly for looks.

I used to have aftermarket pedals in my previous vehicles. If not properly installed they\'d slip out of position and may actually fall right off of the mount. Sometimes (depending on the surface of the pedal) the sole of your shoe would stick or get caught on the pedal too.

RedRaptor
09-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Bluntman,

Do you have any pedals installed on your 3 right now? I think when you install them you have to ensure they are secure because if they were to slip off, it could cause an accident.

I think eventually I\'ll try them out and see how I like them. I just asked a friend and he said that pedals are all looks. Hmmm....:sarc

MajesticBlueNTO
09-20-2004, 03:14 AM

Bluntman,

Do you have any pedals installed on your 3 right now? I think when you install them you have to ensure they are secure because if they were to slip off, it could cause an accident.

I think eventually I\'ll try them out and see how I like them. I just asked a friend and he said that pedals are all looks. Hmmm....:sarc

automatic - pedals = looks...however, depending on the shoes you wear, the stock pedals are slippery when wet. aftermarket pedals with \"raised\" holes or rubber nubs would be better for gription.

manual - pedals = better spaced for \"heel and toe\" shifting

RedRaptor
09-23-2004, 01:58 PM
Ok. Here is an update on these JDM pedals.

The ones on Ebay indeed are replicas of the original JDM ones, but no one can tell that they are replicas.

They must be installed by drilling your stock pedals just like the JDM ones. This a original factory design for safety.

They come in a box with Japanese instructions.

Thats all the info I have so far from the seller. I also contacted one of the buyers of the sets and he is planning to install them on a Mazda3 also, so he\'ll get back to me on how they work out.

MAZDA Kitten
09-24-2004, 10:16 AM
Will any aftermarket pedals work??
Im digging these (will match with the red theme of the car)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7922964457&catego ry=6783&sspagename=WDVW

chaser
09-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by MAZDA Kitten

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7922964457&catego ry=6783&sspagename=WDVW

So, did you pick up the Momo pedals? Do they fit and work? If they work, I want to get a set too (but not in red)

FLIPDADY
10-01-2004, 09:28 AM
I\'m ordering in a few sets of Mazda OEM alluminum pedals both for Auto and Manual transmissions. If anyone is interested let me know. The club prices listed below, should take a few weeks for them to arrive.

Auto-$56 + taxes

Manual-$86 + taxes

Not a bad price for an OEM part. :)

FLIPDADY
10-01-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by MAZDA Kitten

Those Momo\'s are nice but a lot of aftermarket pedals don\'t fit properly.

RedRaptor
10-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Flipspeed,

What do they look like? Do you have any details on them like pictures and how to install them? Do you have to drill the OEM pedals or are they clip on?

Please keep us posted.

MajesticBlueNTO
10-01-2004, 11:45 AM

Flipspeed,

What do they look like? Do you have any details on them like pictures and how to install them? Do you have to drill the OEM pedals or are they clip on?

Please keep us posted.

+1

Flipspeed, i\'d be looking for a MT set but have the same questions as Red.

swales
10-01-2004, 12:31 PM
I\'m ordering in a few sets of Mazda OEM alluminum pedals both for Auto and Manual transmissions. If anyone is interested let me know. The club prices listed below, should take a few weeks for them to arrive.

Thanks Joe, good to know my request was filled, you can put my name in the #1 spot on the list for the MT ones :D

The pedals should look like this

http://www.mazdapartspeople.com/images/Mazda/2002_Protege_Perf_Aluminum_Pedals.jpg

And you do drill them.

FLIPDADY
10-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Since my PM limit has been reached for today.:(

So far M/T set:
1)swales
2)MajesticBlueN
3)billyfo

A/T set (for those times I have to heel-toe :p)
1)bluntman
2)RedRaptor
3)Dr Butcher

Add your username to the list if you\'re interested.

midnightfxgt
10-01-2004, 01:17 PM
Joe, is that pic posted the ones we will receive? I have seen other pics that were supposed to be the OEM ones I liked better.

~JOHN

FLIPDADY
10-01-2004, 01:31 PM
I\'ve seen a lot of pics circulating the web as well. The only thing to do now is wait till they arrive. I\'ll keep a few sets in stock anyways.

RedRaptor
10-01-2004, 01:39 PM
Hi Flipspeed,

How much do you guys charge for installation? I rather not drill the OEM pedals myself. I\'m going in for an oil change soon so I figure it can be done the same day?

swales
10-01-2004, 02:07 PM
There\'s different OEM ones for the different OEM versions of the 3. The ones I posted are for the oem NA mazda, most of the ones you see are for the oem JDM mazda that look like this:

http://www.japanparts.com/Pic/pic143/009-047.JPG

Unfortunitly, those are not available in Canada or the US and must be bought direct from Japan and they cost $138 + shipping, duty, tax and for some reason the ones for MT are not available. I do like the dead pedal though of JDM one.

The ones you see on Ebay, are all fake copies.

billyfo
10-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Flipspeed, add me too, (manual)

FLIPDADY
10-06-2004, 08:07 AM
Pedals are on order from the U.S. should take another week for them to arrive.

RedRaptor
10-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the update Flipspeed.

How how much would it cost for the pedals to be installed by a Avante dealer? I am not up for drilling my OEM pedals.

Please post pics of both the Auto and Manual pedals when they come in.

bluntman
10-06-2004, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the update Flipspeed.

How how much would it cost for the pedals to be installed by a Avante dealer? I am not up for drilling my OEM pedals.

Please post pics of both the Auto and Manual pedals when they come in.

If it\'s anything like these (http://www.msprotege.com/vbb225/showthread.php?t=72479&page=2&pp=15), which they probably are, there\'s no drilling involved. The JDM pedals are all aluminum and have to be drilled, the North American OE versions are just clip-on, aluminum and plastic, but clip-on nonetheless.

swales
10-06-2004, 11:13 AM
If it\'s anything like these, which they probably are, there\'s no drilling involved. The JDM pedals are all aluminum and have to be drilled, the North American OE versions are just clip-on, aluminum and plastic, but clip-on nonetheless.

Actually that\'s not true, there\'s two different kinds of OEM pedals for NA, if you look further up in the posts you will see a pic I posted. I gave the part number for those ones to Joe (Flipspeed) to order so hopefully that\'s what will show up.

RedRaptor
10-06-2004, 11:28 AM
I would be interested in the OE NA Mazda 3 Pedals that don\'t require drilling (ones that Bluntman posted). But I guess we\'ll see what comes in stock in a week or two.

wtom
10-06-2004, 11:56 AM
They look a bit flimsy to me... hopefully we can get them soon and someone can test them out for a week or so. :p

FLIPDADY
10-07-2004, 11:27 AM
I just received the first set of pedals for M/T. There is no real pic of them anywhere but they are exactly like theses Audi TT ones. The only difference is the alluminum finish, it matches the finish on the glove box handle. They replace the factory rubber pedals so no drilling is involved.

http://www.technetcomm.ca/stuff/pedals_big2.jpg
http://www.technetcomm.ca/stuff/pedals_big3.jpg

At the moment I only have one set that is reserved for swales b/c he was the one who first inquired about them. The other sets should arrive by next week. You could always come and take a look at them in person at the Toronto location.

RedRaptor
10-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Flipspeed,

How you tried just placing them on a 3 in the showroom and seeing how they hold up since they don\'t require any drilling?

When are you getting the AUTO ones? I\'m interested in a set.

Quick question for you. The black lines that go across each pedal, are they rubber or are they plastic?

FLIPDADY
10-07-2004, 12:07 PM
They clip on and stay pretty tight (they have to) on the pedal. The lines across the pedal are plastic. The A/T ones should arrive by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Dr Butcher
10-07-2004, 12:09 PM
Hey Flipspeed, mark me down for a set of the auto pedals.

majic
10-07-2004, 12:47 PM

Flipspeed,

How you tried just placing them on a 3 in the showroom and seeing how they hold up since they don\'t require any drilling?

When are you getting the AUTO ones? I\'m interested in a set.

Quick question for you. The black lines that go across each pedal, are they rubber or are they plastic?

and is the silver part aluminum (u mention aluminum finish) or is it plastic that has the look\'n feel of aluminium?? bluntman was speculating but can u confirm that? thanks.

FLIPDADY
10-07-2004, 12:55 PM
The actual pedal is hard plastic with the alluminum accent placed onto it.

swales
10-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Well whoever is next on the waiting list for the MT ones can have the set reserved for me. I was hoping that they were alluminum pedals like the JDM ones but since they\'re pretty much plastic clip-on\'s I\'m going to pass.

Thanks again to Joe for all his help! :D

RedRaptor
10-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

They clip on and stay pretty tight (they have to) on the pedal. The lines across the pedal are plastic. The A/T ones should arrive by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Is it safe to say that they won\'t come off under the most harsh driving conditions? I\'m just worried about them falling off at the wrong time causing an accident. But you figure it can\'t be that cheap since it is a Mazda approved OEM part after all.

bluntman
10-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Looking at the photo from the thread that I posted, the plastic backing and the clips look pretty stout. I like how the clips are on all sides of the pedals, I wouldn\'t worry about these falling off.

I used to have a set of RAZO pedals on my previous vehicle and they were only held on with friction using, what can be described as, metal straps. If the screws holding those straps into place weren\'t tight enough, the pedals were about to slip while driving.

FLIPDADY
10-07-2004, 03:25 PM
I took off the stock pedal pad and slipped on the new pedal and it holds pretty well. So no need to worry about it slipping.

mEtH
10-08-2004, 03:15 PM
anyone install them yet? Hopefully someone has them at meet #7, would like to see them in person.

bluntman
10-08-2004, 07:02 PM
I will have the automatic set by the next meet. I checked out the manual set today when I went to Avante. To my eye, they seem quite nice, rather lightweight (aluminum and plastic, what do you expect). They\'ll dress up the \"bland\" part of the interior somewhat.

RedRaptor
10-09-2004, 02:33 AM
Hey Bluntman,

Write a short review on the automatic pedals once you get them from Avante. I\'m interested in a pair of auto pedals also, but I\'m hearing all this negative talk about how its just plastic with non stainless steel and etc.

I honestly don\'t think the pedals are that cheaply made that they will break, so as long as they are durable and won\'t fall off due to the clip on, I think they are a nice touch to the bland black rubber pedals.

Keep us posted. Thanks!

FLIPDADY
10-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Automatic pedals are now in stock!!!

bluntman
10-20-2004, 07:36 PM
See my \"review\" here. (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=40&page=2)

Xenon
10-20-2004, 08:28 PM
bluntman: Pics please?

bluntman
10-21-2004, 05:09 PM
http://ca.geocities.com/alegardo@rogers.com/pedals.jpg

billyfo
10-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Joe (Flipspeed), is the manual pedals in stock? thanks

bluntman
10-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Yes they are.

FLIPDADY
10-22-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by billyfo

Joe (Flipspeed), is the manual pedals in stock? thanks
Yes they are, I still have an extra set because one person cancelled their order.

Xenon
10-24-2004, 02:57 AM
Ok, I\'m SERIOUSLY considering buying these. eBay Mazda3 Pedal Link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7929977127&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT)

I just wanted to know:
a) will these pedals FIT our 3\'s? There has been speculation about mixed up 3 and 6 pedals and JDM vs NA. I like the look of these... If they fit, I will buy them
b) Does anyone have this set installed? if so was it easy or not?

It is that exact auction that I plan to get the pedals from. Opinions? Comments?

bluntman
10-24-2004, 10:36 AM
That is the pedal set for the 3, the 6\'s dead pedal had a slight turn inwards at the bottom but aside from that the other pedals are the same. These pedals have to be drilled in place.

Xenon
10-24-2004, 05:46 PM
thx bluntman!

I shall place a bid on them now.... or should just buy it now?

hehe I donno... I think I have to email him about shipping first.

bluntman
10-24-2004, 05:59 PM
No problem, just remember that that seller sells replica OE pedal (I think RedRaptor emailed the seller recently) so they aren\'t genuine Mazda JDM pedals. They are still nice looking nonetheless.

Good luck bidding. Hmm, they seemed to have lowered the BIN price...Buy It Now!

RedRaptor
10-24-2004, 06:05 PM
I would just place a bid unless you are in a big rush to get them on your car. The seller always has these pedals on sale so even if you get outbidded, two days later they are up again.

Yes bluntman, I have emailed the seller before and they are indeed replicas of the original. I think they mention it on the auction page now whereas before they didn\'t. Having said that, the kit is aluminum based and NO ONE will be able to tell they are replicas, so for me that isn\'t even a factor. The oringal OE ones are probably 3x as much and considering you literally step on pedals with your feett, who really cares if they are reps?

You will need to drill your stock pedals with this set. I am sure the dealership can do it or you can do it yourself since its not very hard. These pedals are drill on because the seller said like the OE ones, they drill on pedals are the safest.

If you like them, I say go for them. I like how they look.

Xenon
10-24-2004, 07:54 PM
thanks for your input RedRaptor.

I\'m not placing a bid until I get a reply email regarding shipping costs.

swales
10-25-2004, 08:09 AM
I like those pedals and would get some but they don\'t have them for us real drivers (manual transmission) :p

RedRaptor
10-25-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by swales
I like those pedals and would get some but they don\'t have them for us real drivers (manual transmission) :p

Oh, thats another \"Automatic Drivers suck\" joke. I never knew that Manual Drivers were so against Automatics. I thought it was more of a lifestyle choice more than anything and that some people are just car commuters while others are car drivers. Reminds me of highschool a little, the \"gifted\" students would always make fun of the \"regular\" students.

swales
10-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Oh, thats another \"Automatic Drivers suck\" joke. I never knew that Manual Drivers were so against Automatics.

LOL...I don\'t have anything against them, I just think that anyone can drive an automatic, but it takes some skill to drive M/T. Also, it feels more like driving when for example you downshift into a tight corner then upshift out compared to hiting the brake then the gas. I know for some it\'s a convenience thing but I would never be able to drive ATX, everytime I drive one I feel like having a nap :D

majic
10-25-2004, 10:03 AM

Oh, thats another \"Automatic Drivers suck\" joke. I never knew that Manual Drivers were so against Automatics. I thought it was more of a lifestyle choice more than anything and that some people are just car commuters while others are car drivers. Reminds me of highschool a little, the \"gifted\" students would always make fun of the \"regular\" students.

he just feels inferior and that you\'re a balla\' :D :D :D.. cuz he didn\'t have to spend an extra $1000 on a tranny :p I know that was one of the reasons i got MT .. just to save a bit and also.. i\'ve never had a stick car so i figured.. meh.. lets see how it is..

mEtH
10-25-2004, 10:31 AM
The winning argument is always \"I am more in tune with the car\" or \"it\'s cool\"

how about considering some other facts? It\'s like comparing apples to oranges
- gas mileage
- transmission wear/clutch wear
- brake wear
- how about a free hand while you drive?
- price difference
- nuisance in traffic
- resale

Not that each of these relates to only one or the other or even both but you get the idea. It depends how you look at it, like I said Apples and Oranges.

bluntman
10-25-2004, 10:35 AM
OK, let\'s not let this thread turn into a manual versus automatic transmission debate! Because you know that would make the conversation...

http://ca.geocities.com/alegardo@rogers.com/offtopic-world.gif

majic
10-25-2004, 10:43 AM
lol.. props to bluntman.. :D

alright.. what other pics you have got there?

bubba1983
10-25-2004, 04:33 PM

Oh, thats another \"Automatic Drivers suck\" joke. I never knew that Manual Drivers were so against Automatics.

LOL...I don\'t have anything against them, I just think that anyone can drive an automatic, but it takes some skill to drive M/T. Also, it feels more like driving when for example you downshift into a tight corner then upshift out compared to hiting the brake then the gas. I know for some it\'s a convenience thing but I would never be able to drive ATX, everytime I drive one I feel like having a nap :D

haha, simpsons anyone? \"gas gas break, break gas gas, gas honk gas....\" hahahaha