PDA

View Full Version : Nology

wtom
09-13-2004, 01:30 AM
Hey all,

I think a few of you will know about Nology but I never knew about them until I got the pamphlet from MoM today. After seeing a few cars with aftermarket ignition wires and other under-the-hood coloured accents... I think it will be an interesting thing to do. :)

I believe the Nology wires cost quite a bit, around $150 to $200?

Any negative reasons to get them? Possible warranty voiding? TIA!

MajesticBlueNTO
09-13-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by wtom

Hey all,

I think a few of you will know about Nology but I never knew about them until I got the pamphlet from MoM today. After seeing a few cars with aftermarket ignition wires and other under-the-hood coloured accents... I think it will be an interesting thing to do. :)

I believe the Nology wires cost quite a bit, around $150 to $200?

Any negative reasons to get them? Possible warranty voiding? TIA!

doesn\'t the 3 use ignition coils over the spark plug? if that\'s the case, Nology wires would be pointless.

reason being: ignition wires such as Nology replace stock ignition/sparkplug wires that bring the spark from the distributor to the spark plug. in the case of ignition coils, there is no distributor since the computer sends a signal to the individual ignition coil as to when to fire.

FLIPDADY
09-13-2004, 08:05 AM
That\'s true the 3\'s use seperate coils instead of wires. So I\'m wondering if the Nology ones are separate coils as well.

wtom
09-16-2004, 04:05 PM
I had no idea. Totally a car newb here but want to colour up the engine bay a bit... then again, I\'m so damn lazy to clean the bay.

MajesticBlueNTO
09-17-2004, 11:15 AM

I had no idea. Totally a car newb here but want to colour up the engine bay a bit... then again, I\'m so damn lazy to clean the bay.

coloured wire loom. here\'s some pics of my friend\'s 97 max engine bay

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/200000-200999/200625_7_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/200000-200999/200625_152_full.jpg

wtom
09-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Whoa, blinding red :)

I\'m still thinking how to go abouts accenting my engine bay... blue to match my car? Or contrast it with yellow? If I get the CAI, I probably will go with the polished Injen intake... I am leaning like 75% to Injen over AEM.

Looks like some of those colours are just wrapped on (heat resistant) tubing?

As for the sparkplug wires, I\'m not too fond of the stock look (with engine bay cover off). Although you don\'t see bare wires, but at the connecting point there is the visibility of the individual wires... unless that\'s gotta be the way it is?

Looky here (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid139/p8bde8950263e72c280c8acc3af37503a/f7084eee.jpg.orig.jpg)

So much tubing... want to colour! Blue? or Yellow? or Red? or... ?

MajesticBlueNTO
09-17-2004, 11:30 AM

Whoa, blinding red :)

Looks like some of those colours are just wrapped on (heat resistant) tubing?

As for the sparkplug wires, I\'m not too fond of the stock look (with engine bay cover off). Although you don\'t see bare wires, but at the connecting point there is the visibility of the individual wires... unless that\'s gotta be the way it is?

Looky here (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid139/p8bde8950263e72c280c8acc3af37503a/f7084eee.jpg.orig.jpg)

So much tubing... want to colour! Blue? or Yellow? or Red? or... ?

the tubing is split wire loom...so it is \"wrapped on\" in a sense (you\'re just covering the wires/tubes with the loom). they\'re heat resistant and are made for an environment such as the engine bay.

if you decide to put wire loom over the spark plug coil wires, you can cut it so that it covers the exposed wires.

i\'d say go with blue..but, then again, i like blue :D

wrt the intake, has the Injen given any problems with throwing a Check Engine Light? I know the AEM is pretty much guaranteed not to throw a CEL...some people with injens were getting CELs earlier on.

wtom
09-17-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

the tubing is split wire loom...so it is \"wrapped on\" in a sense (you\'re just covering the wires/tubes with the loom). they\'re heat resistant and are made for an environment such as the engine bay.

if you decide to put wire loom over the spark plug coil wires, you can cut it so that it covers the exposed wires.

i\'d say go with blue..but, then again, i like blue :D

wrt the intake, has the Injen given any problems with throwing a Check Engine Light? I know the AEM is pretty much guaranteed not to throw a CEL...some people with injens were getting CELs earlier on.

Nice, I\'m guessing the loom can be bought at CanTi?

No idea about Injen giving CEL yet. It\'s still quite new and I am following along with M3F postings regarding the Injen\'s installed on the few cars so far.

bluntman
09-17-2004, 12:31 PM

Nice, I\'m guessing the loom can be bought at CanTi?

They only have it in black. Go to Performance Improvements on Kennedy for different colours.

wtom
09-17-2004, 01:07 PM
Where exactly on Kennedy? :)

And would most people see wrapping the pipes in tubes as being dumb? or is it okay (not rice) :)

MajesticBlueNTO
09-17-2004, 01:37 PM

Where exactly on Kennedy? :)

And would most people see wrapping the pipes in tubes as being dumb? or is it okay (not rice) :)

http://www.performanceimprovements.com/

Kennedy just north of Lawrence on the west side.

i wouldn\'t consider it rice...rice would be \"my coloured engine bay adds 10hp\" ;)

bluntman
09-17-2004, 01:41 PM
Just do it in moderation...remember, less is more.

YP5 Toronto
10-20-2004, 04:06 PM
Hey.... glad you read the stuff from Nology. I brought that stuff for everyone.

Not sure if had a look at my engine, but you are correct in that the P5 and the Mazda 3 use direct coil ignition system. With the P5 and the Mazdaspeed, Nology designed a relocation bracket. You basically took off the coils, mounted them somewhere else, then ran the wires.

The benefits of the wires themselves are posted on their site.

I personally experienced a better idle and smoother acceleration at the higher RPMs.