PDA

View Full Version : stock HID not firing

loki
12-26-2014, 08:24 PM
Anyone having issues with their stock HIDs in the colder weather?

My left hasn't been firing up. At first it would just need the car to run for a few minutes but now it just won't fire up. It will flicker when first turned on but that's it

Couple things to note..

1. I no longer do the auto light setting so I can turn on the lights after the car is on

2. I have a slim battery to fit my intake

jay93
12-27-2014, 11:18 AM
Slim battery? (ballast)? Try switching the ballast. Try the passenger one on the drivers side. That could be your problem. It could also be that the bulb is starting to die.

loki
12-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Slim battery? (ballast)? Try switching the ballast. Try the passenger one on the drivers side. That could be your problem. It could also be that the bulb is starting to die.

Battery

silverstarmazda
12-27-2014, 09:45 PM
what are the specs of the slim light weight battery at normal temps? thought slim batteries were rated lower than regular batteries.

i would get another member with OEM hids and swap them over and see if its a component issue

trulankan
12-28-2014, 02:22 PM
haven't had any problems with mine (knock on wood)...if you are not having any problems cranking its prob not the battery. if its been working fine since the battery switch then its probably the bulb or ballast.

McGuyver_3
12-28-2014, 07:13 PM
The mazda ballasts and ignitors are rather bullet proof, more than likely your bulb is on the way out. If you take the bulb out you will see a little glass ball in the middle. Generally they are clear/yellowish, if it is black then the bulb is gone.

loki
12-28-2014, 08:00 PM
Will check out the bulb when I get back to T.O

It was playing the fool for a bit last winter as well which had me curious about the cold and ability of my smaller battery to fire it up

jay93
12-28-2014, 10:35 PM
okay, excuse me on this one. but what battery? like the car battery? if it's a different battery can someone post a picture?

S.F.W.
12-28-2014, 11:00 PM
okay, excuse me on this one. but what battery? like the car battery? if it's a different battery can someone post a picture?

Car battery. Some big turbo applications of the Speed3 use a smaller battery to allow more space for go fast parts.

jay93
12-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Car battery. Some big turbo applications of the Speed3 use a smaller battery to allow more space for go fast parts.

Thank you! my opinion is that it's most likely the bulb. If it was flickering and became more faint in time.

Cyclic
12-28-2014, 11:52 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I'm pretty sure HID bulbs don't completely go out when they die. They still light up but very faint. When my bulb started to die it would ignite to the it's full brightness then gradually dim after a minute to about as bright as a stock interior dome light. Eventually it just started up to the faint glow right off the bat. I would think the ballast is the issue unless the bulb was cracked or something.

Canadianbacon
12-29-2014, 12:16 AM
Also doesn't it change colours when its on its way out? I seem some purplish and other normal on roads

McGuyver_3
12-29-2014, 12:33 AM
Also doesn't it change colours when its on its way out? I seem some purplish and other normal on roads

Correct me if I am wrong but I'm pretty sure HID bulbs don't completely go out when they die. They still light up but very faint. When my bulb started to die it would ignite to the it's full brightness then gradually dim after a minute to about as bright as a stock interior dome light. Eventually it just started up to the faint glow right off the bat. I would think the ballast is the issue unless the bulb was cracked or something.

You are both correct, they do change colour over time. However they tend to change colour equally and you do not notice until you change the one how different the other one is. But when they die, they have all differen't kinds of scenarios. Some turn on and shut off after a few minutes, some flicker but fail to stay on, some turn dark purple and are useless to see out of. At work I have seen alot simply do nothing, not even attempt to igite the bulb.

loki
12-29-2014, 01:26 AM
You are both correct, they do change colour over time. However they tend to change colour equally and you do not notice until you change the one how different the other one is. But when they die, they have all differen't kinds of scenarios. Some turn on and shut off after a few minutes, some flicker but fail to stay on, some turn dark purple and are useless to see out of. At work I have seen alot simply do nothing, not even attempt to igite the bulb.

So what you're saying is if it is in fact the bulb I should probably change both at the same time?

Cyclic
12-29-2014, 08:38 AM
So what you're saying is if it is in fact the bulb I should probably change both at the same time?

I would say changing both bulbs would be the best so that the colour matches on both sides. Unless you don't mind the slight difference of course.

McGuyver_3
12-29-2014, 07:17 PM
well for the price of 85-90$(after conversion)
found here
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-NEW-PHILIPS-D2S-85122-4300K-OEM-HID-XENON-BULBS-/181540001920?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a44a09880&vxp=mtr#ht_1248wt_1362

its not a bad idea to do both

TheMAN
12-30-2014, 03:09 AM
I say battery... the cold takes a bite out of the battery's reserve capacity... after a cold start on a cold day, there's not too much reserve capacity on a smaller battery

as a troubleshooting step, try jump starting the car and see if this issue continues... if it doesn't, then it's the battery

loki
01-04-2015, 11:08 PM
I say battery... the cold takes a bite out of the battery's reserve capacity... after a cold start on a cold day, there's not too much reserve capacity on a smaller battery

as a troubleshooting step, try jump starting the car and see if this issue continues... if it doesn't, then it's the battery

Today and last night with the warmer weather, both lights fired up no problem

I'm going to keep an eye on it but my suspicion has always been the battery

studum
01-05-2015, 09:43 AM
How could the battery really affect the firing up though? If the car is already running when you turn them on the alternator should handle power demand shouldn't it? Unless there's a weak link somewhere in there? Have you tried cleaning the battery terminals?

Flagrum_3
01-05-2015, 12:05 PM
How could the battery really affect the firing up though? If the car is already running when you turn them on the alternator should handle power demand shouldn't it? Unless there's a weak link somewhere in there? Have you tried cleaning the battery terminals?

Yeah if the weak link is the battery...A low (weak) battery will draw more power from the alternator. This could be a substantial amount of the alternator's capacity. Not saying it is the battery causing the issue there could be several, including frozen ballasts, but could very well be.

_3