PDA

View Full Version : 2014 GS sport - Rear hatch not closing

Just_me
12-29-2014, 11:27 AM
I just bought a 2014 Mazda 3 sport GS hatchback, and I've had some problems getting the rear hatch to lock, especially when it's cold. It closes, but does not lock all the way, so it rattles and the "door open" warning light on the dash stays on. I took it back to the dealership a couple of times. Each time, they slapped some grease on the latch, gave me the condescending speech about it being an electric latch so you have to follow a certain procedure when closing it (open at least a foot, wait 2-3 seconds, etc...), and sent me on my way. Today I was finally able to reproduce the issue with the service manager, who spent a good 5 minutes trying and failing to close the hatch, so he said he'd look into it. Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions?

michaelm_
01-13-2015, 12:54 AM
I also have a 2014 mazda3 sport GS and you're not alone on this, because i am experiencing this problem too. I notice that the hatch won't close completely especially during sub-zero temperatures like today. So what i do is i close the hatch, but the trunk light is still on so it's not locked yet, and then i give the bottom part of the hatch a little bit more of a push which locks the hatch completely. This is annoying and something i don't want to do with the car every single time i close the hatch, and will be taking it to the dealership soon and hopefully they'll be able to solve this out.

r4BBiT
01-13-2015, 01:17 PM
I just had the same issue on my 2010 sedan. I was driving for couple days with open trunk and called Mazda thinking this would be covered by my extended warranty. Unfortunately it is not and they wanted to charge me $50 for diagnosis.

So I went to my father-in-law work to let car sit in the shipping bay to warm it up. It didn't work right away, so I took the latch off to investigate it more. After about 30 minutes in total the latch started working again on its own, so looks like it was just frozen.

Man, this Mazdas really can't handle the cold weather. My cruise control also comes on on it's own when I start the car when it is really cold and the service adviser told me that the actuator is probably frozen. This is the first year (6th winter) that started to happen.

DualSoul
01-14-2015, 02:39 AM
Man, this Mazdas really can't handle the cold weather. My cruise control also comes on on it's own when I start the car when it is really cold and the service adviser told me that the actuator is probably frozen. This is the first year (6th winter) that started to happen.

Had this happen myself, though I'm not overly worried about it. Good to know it's not limited to me however.

lazycro
01-14-2015, 02:43 PM
I smashed my head off my hatch..... good cut on my head

dumbone95
01-14-2015, 04:50 PM
happened to my latch all the time would just constantly unlock and lock mazda ended up replacing the latch and i havent had the problem since.

sdeni
04-07-2015, 10:24 AM
I just bought a 2014 Mazda 3 sport GS hatchback, and I've had some problems getting the rear hatch to lock, especially when it's cold. It closes, but does not lock all the way, so it rattles and the "door open" warning light on the dash stays on. I took it back to the dealership a couple of times. Each time, they slapped some grease on the latch, gave me the condescending speech about it being an electric latch so you have to follow a certain procedure when closing it (open at least a foot, wait 2-3 seconds, etc...), and sent me on my way. Today I was finally able to reproduce the issue with the service manager, who spent a good 5 minutes trying and failing to close the hatch, so he said he'd look into it. Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Have exactly the same issue on 2015 GS Sport; and exactly the same response from the dealer. Please keep us posted.

CarLadyLisa
04-07-2015, 02:25 PM
So this Latch thing is a known issue for 2014 & mainly 2015 models. Bad batches of latches. *snicker*

We can & have completed quite a few replacements under warranty. Easy fix. No big deal. Even had an out of town client come to us after going to another dealer. Other dealer didn't fix. We fix. All good.

dumbone95
04-07-2015, 02:51 PM
I actually had this exact same issue on my 2010 ms3 and the dealer replaced it under warranty

sdeni
04-08-2015, 10:01 AM
So this Latch thing is a known issue for 2014 & mainly 2015 models. Bad batches of latches. *snicker*

We can & have completed quite a few replacements under warranty. Easy fix. No big deal. Even had an out of town client come to us after going to another dealer. Other dealer didn't fix. We fix. All good.

Hi,

I actually service the mazda at your dealerships service department.

Is it a part you generally keep in stock? Or should I notify ahead of time that I would like it replaced when I call to book for my next oil change.

CarLadyLisa

CarLadyLisa
04-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Hi,

I actually service the mazda at your dealerships service department.

Is it a part you generally keep in stock? Or should I notify ahead of time that I would like it replaced when I call to book for my next oil change.

CarLadyLisa

Giving us a heads up is always a good idea. You'll be better served and the guys will be expecting the repair.

If the door open light is still coming on for now...try turning the vehicle off and then closing the hatch. I've heard this work for a few people until we can see you.

funkdupspeed3
04-08-2015, 03:11 PM
i have a 2013 mz3 hatch gs sky. when i close the trunk my door open light is not coming. however, driving afterwards the hatch rattles? is this a common issue?

CarLadyLisa?

CarLadyLisa
04-08-2015, 04:20 PM
i have a 2013 mz3 hatch gs sky. when i close the trunk my door open light is not coming. however, driving afterwards the hatch rattles? is this a common issue?
CarLadyLisa?
Hmm... not common in that gen. I have a 2012. What I find is of I don't give er a good firm close then it doesn't catch properly.

Try this....When you hear it a rattling shut car off and lock the car from your fob. If the horn does not honk you have not closed it properly.

If it still persists check to see if anything in the trunk is causing rattles under where the spare is.

If even still...you can call our service team. Rattles are a little tricky but I'm sure we can sort it out.

[emoji3]