PDA

View Full Version : 2.3 wont turn over/start.....fresh motor swap.

Shizzarp
01-02-2015, 06:21 PM
Ok not sure if this is the right spot too post but here we go.

Just swapped a fresh 2.3 in my 3 hatch.....litterally drove the car into the garage with the blown motor (no codes just spun bearing) and then swapped the new motor in. And now its not doing anything..... at first the main relays were buzzing so i cleaned all grounds and that stopped but still no turn over or anything just primes the fuel and nothing.
Almost seems like the clutch isnt clicking the switch too tell the car has the clutch in but i never touched that.

Please any tips would b great seeing as i need too sell it and get it running before Jan 22 so my warranty is still valid.

Noisy Crow
01-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Not enough info provided. Is the donor engine from the same model year as the blown one? Are the both the same transmission type? Did you swap over the wiring harness & ECU or just the engine? If you kept the donor ECU did you program it for the ignition key?

silverstarmazda
01-03-2015, 12:04 AM
could be a started problem?

Shizzarp
01-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Not enougtheh info provided. Is the donor engine from the same model year as the blown one? Are the both the same transmission type? Did you swap over the wiring harness & ECU or just the engine? If you kept the donor ECU did you program it for the ignition key?

Same year, same tranny, and i used the origanal harness and ecu that was in the car .

Noisy Crow
01-03-2015, 03:42 PM
Hmm...
-there aren't too many parts in the starting system, so this really is just a matter of going over it systematically
-check the starter circuit connectors, including at the starter, plus the connectors at the ECU
-use a multimeter to see if you are getting power at the starter, and if there is voltage at the starter relay
-check the relevant fuses
- check that you don't have a broken or missing ground strap or other ground connection

Shizzarp
01-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Hmm...
-there aren't too many parts in the starting system, so this really is just a matter of going over it systematically
-check the starter circuit connectors, including at the starter, plus the connectors at the ECU
-use a multimeter to see if you are getting power at the starter, and if there is voltage at the starter relay
- check that you don't have a broken or missing ground strap or other ground connection

So checked all the connectors i can see and starter wires, fuses all seem good. Now when i turn the key on the throttle body buzzes and stays buzzing for couple seconds after turning key off.....weird.
but I'm going too try the multi meter tomorrow and see if there's power there.

stock3
01-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Is the immobilizer light rapidly flashing by any chance?

Shizzarp
01-08-2015, 03:20 PM
[QUOTnoock3;1257448]Is the immobilizer light rapidly flashing by any chance?[/QUOTE]

Im a noob too mazda, what is that?

jay93
01-08-2015, 07:43 PM
The immobilizer light on you cluster should be a key illuminated in the colour red. That could be a reason why your car won't turn. You may need the cluster from the car you got the motor from. Or if it's possible for Mazdas, have an immobilizer delete.

Shizzarp
01-09-2015, 07:36 AM
The immobilizer light on you cluster should be a key illuminated olour red. That could be a reason why your car won't turn. You may need the cluster from the car you got the motor from. Or if it's possible for Mazdas, have an immobilizer delete.

Hmm dam. Ill check for the light on the dash tonight, before this engine i tryed just swapping the block and it started no problem but the block was pooched as well. Could i just swap the throttle body and other electronic components and disable the lock that way ?

Shizzarp
01-11-2015, 12:38 PM
The immobilizer light on you cluster should be a key illuminated in the colour red. That could be a reason why your car won't turn. You may need the cluster from the car you got the motor from. Or if it's possible for Mazdas, have an immobilizer delete.

Ok so i got the motor too turn mabye half a turn....i messed with all the blower settings as i cranked it so its definitely electrical....and the red key doesn't flash fast only flashes slow when there's no key in ignition

Squisher
01-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Hmm...

These are the things you need to do. I've done loads of mechanical all my life but know very little about 3's. That said I don't see what the blower/heater controls could have to do with the starter circuit/wiring?

Shizzarp
01-11-2015, 01:15 PM
These are the things you need to do. I've done loads of mechanical all my life but know very little about 3's. That said I don't see what the blower/heater controls could have to do with the starter circuit/wiring?

Well im not sure either but it did do something cause it kicked when i was messing with it. Prolly just moved a ground or somthing so now im looking for a diagram showing me where all the grounds r so i can look at all of them.

Shizzarp
01-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Alright so i jumped the starter with cables and she starts like a trooper. Anyone have clue where the relay is for the starter?

Shizzarp
01-12-2015, 07:52 AM
Anyone have any idea?
I swapped resisters with ones that were working fine, and still won't kick the starter....tryed resetting the ecu and still nothing.

js593
01-12-2015, 12:46 PM
If its turning over with cables, you could be seeing a few things. Pinched/severed starter line. Ground cable not connected, Relay (in the fuse box last i checked) toast. If she fires with jumpers directly to the starter there's something else wrong in the starter power lines. Start back tracing all your cables.

Shizzarp
01-14-2015, 08:29 AM
If its turning over with cables, you could be seeing a few things. Pinched/severed starter line. Ground cable not connected, Relay (in the fuse box last i checked) toast. If she fires with jumpers directly to the starter there's something else wrong in the starter power lines. Start back tracing all your cables.

Ok. As for the imobilizer, would the car even run if that was enabled? Or does it just stop the starter from kicking? Cause when its running the red key doesn't flash but it seems thats the problem for sure.
if there was a way too disable it that would be perfect! Seeing as i don't have a spare key i can't try that

TheMAN
01-14-2015, 09:41 PM
the light is not supposed to flash when the engine is running or is a good key when you're using it