PDA

View Full Version : Road to bnrs3

crasth
02-07-2015, 02:26 AM
Considering going bt this summer,bnrs3 to be specific. Went with this instead of gtx because i want around 350whp and beaner is cheaper than the gtx.

However i wanna prepare my car first
It has 150k km so i wanna do some maintenance first. Imma star with cleaning the valves and IM. Now that ill be taking it off i was thinking on replacing the injector seals n studs(cpe ), tb gasket and coolant bypass(jbr) intage gasket(jbr) occ, egr delete. Spark plugs. Any other thing i should upgrade or take a look at while im at it?

I dont feel confident doing this work myself tbh. Ill be taking it to jimmy probably, any approximate for this kind of labour?

loki
02-07-2015, 08:15 AM
Bnr is not a big turbo

For estimates you have to call Jimmy and explain the work and he'll give you a quote

loki
02-07-2015, 08:22 AM
Your corksport intake and turbo inlet hose will be a restriction

also are you on the stock top mount intercooler?

More boost than 20psi with your power goals, so upgraded MAP sensor is required. 3 port electronic boost control solenoid to help manage the wastegate better...

Maybe you should make a list of what you think you need, what you currently have, so we can see where your head is.

I don't think bnr is the way to go..

murdaspeed
02-07-2015, 10:24 AM
If you want the most hassle free way of going about it, consider getting the install done at APH and contact Fobio for the tuning. You can have it all done at once, this is what I did. Be prepared to leave your car for a few days. From looking at your mods in your sig you'll want to consider a downpipe and the least an upgraded tmic.

murdaspeed
02-07-2015, 10:47 AM
With the additional parts it looks like you need, along with install and tuning time, be prepared to budget at least $3g's. The weak Canadian dollar is your enemy right now.

crasth
02-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Ohhh sorry i didnt explain well. Yeahh i have a list of modss:big intake,ebcs,dp,rp,battery tray, eithrr tr8 with jbr piping or cs tmic(depends on budget). I was thinking on getting external wastegate but needa research more about that.

I was inquiring more about the work in the IM. I know its not required but im sure it will help my engine to function better

crasth
02-07-2015, 10:59 AM
loki yeahhh i know the s3 is not too big but ive seen ppl getting to 350 so that works for me. Its my dd so i thibk 350 is more than enough to have fun in summer. Spool is good in the beaner and its significantly cheaper than the gtx3071r which is my other option. Could be any of those but as of now im leaning more towards thr s3

pwdunmore
02-07-2015, 02:05 PM
loki yeahhh i know the s3 is not too big but ive seen ppl getting to 350 so that works for me. Its my dd so i thibk 350 is more than enough to have fun in summer. Spool is good in the beaner and its significantly cheaper than the gtx3071r which is my other option. Could be any of those but as of now im leaning more towards thr s3

You are comparing two turbos, in completely different categories... BNR S3 is simply a less restrictive K04. GTX3071 is capable of pushing the OEM fuel injectors past their limits, whereas the BNR S3 is designed to stay within the stock fueling. If you are staying stock block go BNR, if you plan on building go for the Garret.

Do some more research. Your clutch may need be on it's last legs too. So factor that into your build price.

Supporting mods + Clutch + Turbo + Tune = Zoom Zoom

If you plan to max out the BNR... just go for the GTX and stay in the efficiency zone.

crasth
02-07-2015, 02:13 PM
You are comparing two turbos, in completely different categories... BNR S3 is simply a less restrictive K04. GTX3071 is capable of pushing the OEM fuel injectors past their limits, whereas the BNR S3 is designed to stay within the stock fueling. If you are staying stock block go BNR, if you plan on building go for the Garret.

Do some more research. Your clutch may need be on it's last legs too. So factor that into your build price.

Supporting mods + Clutch + Turbo + Tune = Zoom Zoom

If you plan to max out the BNR... just go for the GTX and stay in the efficiency zone.
Im not comparing them,i know the gtx is more capable and Yeah as i said my power goals are around 350whp. And the bnr will do it . even if its less im ok with that. If a rebuild ever comes i only plan on upgrading to stronger rods.the clutch is a good point too,ive been thinking about that too, when mine fails i wanna upgrade. How about the 6puck act? Or what other one is good for my goals. Stock clutch?

Fack_Dude
02-07-2015, 02:17 PM
Im not comparing them,i know the gtx is more capable and Yeah as i said my power goals are around 350whp. And the bnr will do it . even if its less im ok with that. If a rebuild ever comes i only plan on upgrading to stronger rods.the clutch is a good point too,ive been thinking about that too, when mine fails i wanna upgrade. How about the 6puck act? Or what other one is good for my goals. Stock clutch?

blah, blah, blah. Kept it stock. You will thank me later.

crasth
02-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Whats wrong with my plans? Enlighten me mr fack

loki
02-07-2015, 02:29 PM

This is good advice

loki
02-07-2015, 02:29 PM
The car ultimately becomes less reliable

crasth
02-07-2015, 02:38 PM
The car ultimately becomes less reliable
Thats kind of what everyone risks when they start to modify their car. Thats why i wanna do as much as i can to "lessen" the risk with the things mentioned in my thread(occ,cleaning valves etc). When my k04 fails i think the bnr is a good replacement no?

I just want some help from ppl who have been tru this path

loki
02-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Thats kind of what everyone risks when they start to modify their car. Thats why i wanna do as much as i can to "lessen" the risk with the things mentioned in my thread(occ,cleaning valves etc). When my k04 fails i think the bnr is a good replacement no?

I've done all that, and honestly should have just kept it at stage 2

The power is great for saying you are making a lot of power....but it's not really practical given that getting it to the ground is difficult, and you're hardly ever in a daily position to use the power

But bragging rights bruh......lol

crasth
02-07-2015, 02:46 PM
I've done all that, and honestly should have just kept it at stage 2

The power is great for saying you are making a lot of power....but it's not really practical given that getting it to the ground is difficult, and you're hardly ever in a daily position to use the power

But bragging rights bruh......lol
Thats a diff from what fackdude said, and i see where u come from. That(and the price ,reliability,etc) are the main reasons that keep turning me away from bigger turbos. And stage 2 is my plan for this summer and id like to stay thetr with the ms3. But seeing that k04 tend to fail i just see it as an opportunity to get something a lil better.

crasth
02-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Should i look into something else?? (Regarding to thr main question)

SomeGuy
02-07-2015, 03:07 PM
The k04 doesn't fail all that easily...and honestly a 300whp MS3 is plenty of a beast for DDing.

loki
02-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Should i look into something else?? (Regarding to thr main question)

Valve cleaning is always a good idea. Yours will be very gunked up

crasth
02-07-2015, 03:13 PM
Valve cleaning is always a good idea. Yours will be very gunked up
Oh im counting on that. Im sure my valves are desperately asking me for some cleaning.

loki
02-07-2015, 03:15 PM
Oh im counting on that. Im sure my valves are desperately asking me for some cleaning.

So there's chemical cleaning options ($300 or so) and then mechanical cleaning, which if you have a shop do, would be expensive because it is labour intensive

I cleaned my own valves with fywdyl and it took....a while...

Fack_Dude
02-07-2015, 03:17 PM

dude, your car has 150,000km, your engine is old.

murdaspeed
02-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Thats a diff from what fackdude said, and i see where u come from. That(and the price ,reliability,etc) are the main reasons that keep turning me away from bigger turbos. And stage 2 is my plan for this summer and id like to stay thetr with the ms3. But seeing that k04 tend to fail i just see it as an opportunity to get something a lil better.

IMO, go with a bigger intake, tmic, downpipe, and maybe a ebcs and tune. All this will get you considerably more hp than you have now, at least 40whp more. Maybe that will be enough for you. On that note I have a Corksport tmic for sale in the FS section now.;)

Fack_Dude
02-07-2015, 03:18 PM

We have spent tons of cash on our cars to have nothing but failure down the road.

murdaspeed
02-07-2015, 03:19 PM

This is also a very good point, I probably wouldn't have gone bigger turbo if I had that mileage, but I had only 55k.

optiklenz13
02-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Timmies?

optiklenz13
02-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Oh snap. Wrong thread.

crasth
02-07-2015, 03:21 PM
The k04 doesn't fail all that easily...and honestly a 300whp MS3 is plenty of a beast for DDing.
Im really hoping for it to last as long as posible when i start to push closer to 300 because #studentbudget at least this yearr.

crasth
02-07-2015, 03:24 PM
So there's chemical cleaning options ($300 or so) and then mechanical cleaning, which if you have a shop do, would be expensive because it is labour intensive

I dont feel comfortable yet to do this on my own. Oil change and intake instalation is the most ive done(struggled with intake) so yeah. Itll be either fobio or jimmy who ill take my car for this

crasth
02-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Thank u guys for reminding me how old my engine is hahahah i appreciate it very much haha #dicks. But yeah i know it is. [emoji22] and i really consider in rebuilding it when the day comes i love this car.

Fack_Dude
02-07-2015, 03:30 PM
I dont feel comfortable yet to do this on my own. Oil change and intake instalation is the most ive done(struggled with intake) so yeah. Itll be either fobio or jimmy who ill take my car for this

Have you done a compression test yet?

crasth
02-07-2015, 03:31 PM
I see that some guys regret modding their cars as much as they did. Why? Because of money spent?because fwd? Would u rather mod another car??

I know for me i wouldnt do more than 350 on my ms3. Id get an awd because of itll be easier to put power down and will be more rewarding.

crasth
02-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Have you done a compression test yet?
Jimmy did it around november, he says it was good , 170s. Imma do another onr before i do anything. If it comes out bad. All my dreams will be crashed for now

Fack_Dude
02-07-2015, 03:35 PM
I see that some guys regret modding their cars as much as they did. Why? Because of money spent?because fwd? Would u rather mod another car??

I know for me i wouldnt do more than 350 on my ms3. Id get an awd because of itll be easier to put power down and will be more rewarding.

Because spending $$$ on a car to go fast is a money pit of failure. Buy a real sports car to go fast all day long. The average engine build is 10k for a shit build.

Kiyomi
02-07-2015, 03:56 PM
Because spending $$$ on a car to go fast is a money pit of failure. Buy a real sports car to go fast all day long. The average engine build is 10k for a shit build.

you cant buy driver skill, sorry.;)

o yeah, i forgot, all you think about is how fast you go in a straight line.

crasth
02-07-2015, 04:03 PM
One day ill have the funds for a real sports car. But as of now i have to stick to my ms3. Ive thought about selling my car and getting another car but ive decided not to do it for now. I can get it to be fun enough. And for less money than a stock sti which could be the next step up

Kiyomi
02-07-2015, 04:05 PM
One day ill have the funds for a real sports car. But as of now i have to stick to my ms3. Ive thought about selling my car and getting another car but ive decided not to do it for now. I can get it to be fun enough. And for less money than a stock sti which could be the next step up

according to a few of the old ms3 owners. a real sports car is a frs. :D

crasth
02-07-2015, 04:10 PM
according to a few of the old ms3 owners. a real sports car is a frs. :D
Owners put a catback on those and think the subaru rumble will make thrm fast,couple of those were surprised when they tried racing.

Theyre capable of being a great car but. Mehh

fywdyl
02-07-2015, 04:29 PM

Good times.

loki
02-07-2015, 04:37 PM
Jimmy did it around november, he says it was good , 170s. Imma do another onr before i do anything. If it comes out bad. All my dreams will be crashed for now

You mean your dreams will be crasth

Sounds like you're on a tight budget, which is why if I were you I wouldn't do any of this

crasth
02-07-2015, 04:44 PM
You mean your dreams will be crasth

Sounds like you're on a tight budget, which is why if I were you I wouldn't do any of this
Yeahh i gotta put some more thought into this. Car will be paid off this summer so after that itd easier. If not ill wait until loki parts out his car and buy stuff from u.

loki
02-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Yeahh i gotta put some more thought into this. Car will be paid off this summer so after that itd easier. If not ill wait until loki parts out his car and buy stuff from u.

I'm in too deep, I won't be parting out any time soon

Fack_Dude
02-07-2015, 07:55 PM
you cant buy driver skill, sorry.;)

o yeah, i forgot, all you think about is how fast you go in a straight line.

Yeah, and I forgot your a professional race car driver. More like wannabe ricer...Oops. I meant racer. ;)

Kiyomi
02-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Yeah, and I forgot your a professional race car driver. More like wannabe ricer...Oops. I meant racer. ;)

strong words for someone who never went to a track in his used to own bt speed 3. :chuckle
what would that make you if you got owned by a ricer? curious

Fack_Dude
02-07-2015, 08:16 PM
strong words for someone who never went to a track in his used to own bt speed 3. :chuckle
what would that make you if you got owned by a ricer? curious

Listen bro. People who do lapping days are for people who cannot afford real racing cars. I don't give a shit about feeling like big man driving a Mazda around a track. I've owned a lot of cars in my life time and guess what. You will still be trying to drive your rust bucket this year around whatever track that you attend. 😜

Kiyomi
02-07-2015, 08:21 PM
Listen bro. People who do lapping days are for people who cannot afford real racing cars. I don't give a shit about feeling like big man driving a Mazda around a track. I've owned a lot of cars in my life time and guess what. You will still be trying to drive your rust bucket this year around whatever track that you attend. 

lmfao take it easy "bro". touch a soft spot did i?

if i bought a porsche or a corvette, it doesnt make me a better driver does it. or trust me, i would have upgraded a long time ago, lmao. i choose to learn about a car slowly and actually become a better driver. so make fun of me all you want for going to open lapping days and cscs/sigma/ota. i invite it cause it makes me a better driver. keep buying new and expensive cars, nothing wrong with that.

Fack_Dude
02-07-2015, 08:34 PM
lmfao take it easy "bro". touch a soft spot did i?

if i bought a porsche or a corvette, it doesnt make me a better driver does it. or trust me, i would have upgraded a long time ago, lmao. i choose to learn about a car slowly and actually become a better driver. so make fun of me all you want for going to open lapping days and cscs/sigma/ota. i invite it cause it makes me a better driver. keep buying new and expensive cars, nothing wrong with that.

I'm not mad bro. I just don't like it when you start shit. You don't even know me. I do have a racing history and I'm past that point. As for you, you wanna be a better racer or driver invest in a real racing school and that will make you a better driver.

loki
02-07-2015, 08:45 PM
Guys, let's get back on topic

As much as I enjoy the banter

Fack_Dude
02-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Guys, let's get back on topic

As much as I enjoy the banter

loki, please ban me.

Dave_The_BMXER
02-07-2015, 09:15 PM
Speed3 threads are interesting.

I'm just here for info.

loki
02-07-2015, 09:52 PM
loki, please ban me.

LoL

No

MajesticBlueNTO
02-08-2015, 12:56 AM
Considering going bt this summer,bnrs3 to be specific. Went with this instead of gtx because i want around 350whp and beaner is cheaper than the gtx.

However i wanna prepare my car first
It has 150k km so i wanna do some maintenance first. Imma star with cleaning the valves and IM. Now that ill be taking it off i was thinking on replacing the injector seals n studs(cpe ), tb gasket and coolant bypass(jbr) intage gasket(jbr) occ, egr delete. Spark plugs. Any other thing i should upgrade or take a look at while im at it?

I dont feel confident doing this work myself tbh. Ill be taking it to jimmy probably, any approximate for this kind of labour?

Ohhh sorry i didnt explain well. Yeahh i have a list of modss:big intake,ebcs,dp,rp,battery tray, eithrr tr8 with jbr piping or cs tmic(depends on budget). I was thinking on getting external wastegate but needa research more about that.

I was inquiring more about the work in the IM. I know its not required but im sure it will help my engine to function better

stick with full bolt-on K04.... ~300 whp is good enough if you want to keep it a daily driver.

with K04, yes to:
* intake valves cleaning
* injector seals
* egr (just unplug it)
* spark plugs
* downpipe
* tmic or fmic
* tune

you can save some money as well by not doing the:
* TB gasket and coolant bypass
* intake manifold gasket
* ebcs - not really required with the k04
* external wastegate, not needed
* ported Intake Manifold? nice to have but not a necessity
* battery tray, not needed - ask anyone with a 51R on their MS3 how much fun it is starting in the winter
* bigger turbo inlet and intake - nice to have but not a necessity

IMO, go with a bigger intake, tmic, downpipe, and maybe a ebcs and tune. All this will get you considerably more hp than you have now, at least 40whp more. Maybe that will be enough for you. On that note I have a Corksport tmic for sale in the FS section now.;)

^sums it up nicely. try full bolt-on K04 with tune before springing the money on a BNR.

thought you were selling the ms3? (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?78380-Fs-Turbosmart-BOV&p=1253568) .... here's something to ponder...
* sell ms3 for 2008-2009 135i
* buy used Cobb AP, used N54 downpipes, drop-in air filter, new or used FMIC
and for less than $2000 in mods, you'll have ~400 whp going to the right wheels

crasth
02-08-2015, 03:37 AM
stick with full bolt-on K04.... ~300 whp is good enough if you want to keep it a daily driver.

with K04, yes to:
* intake valves cleaning
* injector seals
* egr (just unplug it)
* spark plugs
* downpipe
* tmic or fmic
* tune

you can save some money as well by not doing the:
* TB gasket and coolant bypass
* intake manifold gasket
* ebcs - not really required with the k04
* external wastegate, not needed
* ported Intake Manifold? nice to have but not a necessity
* battery tray, not needed - ask anyone with a 51R on their MS3 how much fun it is starting in the winter
* bigger turbo inlet and intake - nice to have but not a necessity

^sums it up nicely. try full bolt-on K04 with tune before springing the money on a BNR.

thought you were selling the ms3? (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?78380-Fs-Turbosmart-BOV&p=1253568) .... here's something to ponder...
* sell ms3 for 2008-2009 135i
* buy used Cobb AP, used N54 downpipes, drop-in air filter, new or used FMIC
and for less than $2000 in mods, you'll have ~400 whp going to the right wheels
Yeahhh thats some good advicee... Imma follow it. Bolt ons only for now and tune. And ill see how i like it.

Regarding selling my car, yes i was going to but i started thinking deeply... I bought mine for 12k, i already made the investment on ap,hpfp,intake,rmm. Engine is still in good shape,clutch too, i just want a tad more of power. Lets say 3k goes in all the mods... I cant find a car thats 2010, with great interior, with all the great tech features gps etc... For 16k. Just an old sti is around 18k(2005) so i rather have no payments for the next 4 years and mod my car that i already know its not a lemon. That was the reason i didnt sell it. Plus the mazda community is very cool. #tm3

Aitch
02-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Kiyomi Fack_Dude the next time you guys start this you can both enjoy a vacation.

loki
02-08-2015, 08:43 AM
crasth you should dyno your car at the next dyno day

It's probably making alot less power than you think, if you could get it up to the 275-300 whp range you'd notice a big difference.

I gave a range because no one knows for sure how your motor will take to mods and a tune

boyracer
02-08-2015, 09:49 AM
I've got a BNR that's looking for a new home.

crasth
02-08-2015, 12:04 PM
crasth you should dyno your car at the next dyno day

It's probably making alot less power than you think, if you could get it up to the 275-300 whp range you'd notice a big difference.

I gave a range because no one knows for sure how your motor will take to mods and a tune
"Braah" my stg 1 ms3 pushes 400hp..... I feel it in my butt dyno....loooll..

Yeahh i always wondered the same.. The fastest car ive owned is this one so yeah u might be right. I know once i was in a 300who genesis and hollyyy sh**. That was fun. Im down for the next dyno day and ill get to meet u guys so thats cool[emoji4]

nigvlb_
05-19-2016, 04:48 AM
Hey man .. just noticed this thread. Did you end up going S3 yet?? ;)

MikeTheCheek
07-04-2016, 05:12 PM
bump

NoMashMs3
07-04-2016, 07:05 PM
hey crass ssssstthh, any s3 yet?

nigvlb_
07-05-2016, 02:14 AM
hey crass ssssstthh, any s3 yet?

If i recall, he went with a GTI K03 instead of bigger turbo.

NoMashMs3
09-20-2016, 12:08 PM
Ah I'm still curious if he's still on the rd